[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 318370 times)

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #1125 on: July 02, 2022, 10:58:27 PM »

I think the Big East can be in a position to be a predator in conference realignment. It might not happen this year but they should be finding ways to bring some of these schools (and Gonzaga) into the fold so we can make our own basketball superconference.

What do people see in Gonzaga? It's Butler circa 2012.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1126 on: July 02, 2022, 11:08:57 PM »

They could be. They could also be better. Even if they end up being Butler I've been pretty happy with that addition so I don't see the problem.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1127 on: July 02, 2022, 11:14:54 PM »
Better than Georgetown right now, hey
Goal is National Championship

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #1128 on: July 02, 2022, 11:16:46 PM »

If you don't want Georgetown, easy: vote us out.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1129 on: July 03, 2022, 06:05:46 AM »
I've been thinking more about this. We don't know how long it will take but it seems inevitable that we are heading to 2 super football conferences. The only questions are how bloated these behemoths will get and who will make the cut and who will be left in the in the ACC/P12/B12 which will be the equivalent of the AAC/MWC/Sun Belt.

It seems certain that there will be some top basketball programs who don't make the cut as well as some solid basketball programs with large state school alumni bases. Programs like Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Miami (FL), Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, Wake Forest, Boston College, Washington, Oregon, Cal, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Texas Tech, BYU...some of them will get the coveted B1G/SEC invite, but I think most are left on the outside looking it.

I think the Big East can be in a position to be a predator in conference realignment. It might not happen this year but they should be finding ways to bring some of these schools (and Gonzaga) into the fold so we can make our own basketball superconference. Make it so there is no doubt that the top basketball conference is neither the the Big 10 nor the SEC so if they ever do break off and try to form their own tournament, they have to work with us or risk a direct competitor that gets just as many eyeballs.

I don't know if it can be pulled off, but that's the direction we should be heading.

Why wouldn't the leftovers not form their own conference especially schools like UNC, Kansas and Duke the basketball blue bloods. Sure, football is driving all this but I think there is a strong basketball after taste who will not get left out in left field. When you think about it, how many schools have consistently fielded good football and basketball teams? As one who does not follow college football, off the top of my hat the only schools that come to mind are Ohio State and Wisconsin. I am sure there are others but not many.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #1130 on: July 03, 2022, 06:17:56 AM »
Big  question is when does the SEC say, "Thank you Vanderbilt. It has been a pleasure having you."

If it's about the total athletic program, it will never happen. Vandy is great in baseball and has had its basketball moments. Some of their basketball players have been very, very good.

But if it's about football, which I think it is, Vanderbilt is on borrowed time. The SEC won't ask 'em to leave, per se, but they'll ask for massive upgrades to Dudley Field, improved competitiveness that requires Vanderbilt to recruit athletes they won't chase today and minimum attendance expectations.

They may be able to get around the stadium issue by playing at Nissan Stadium, or the new Metro Field that's being debated in Nashville, but the academics and attendance will be a big problem.

I've been wondering the same.  My guess is that Alabama, Florida, and Georgia can't just kick Vanderbilt and Mississippi State out of the conference. Ditto the Big Ten with Northwestern, etc.  The only way to trim the fat might be to leave those schools behind.

If the next step is two 24-30 team mega-conferences, the NEXT step is ONE Super Conference and everyone else left behind.  Think the failed European soccer Super League

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1131 on: July 03, 2022, 06:41:55 AM »
I agree. But they will all continue to lose money on it.

Which is fine. You don't need football to be profitable to make it worthwhile to your university.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1132 on: July 03, 2022, 08:25:57 AM »
Big  question is when does the SEC say, "Thank you Vanderbilt. It has been a pleasure having you."

If it's about the total athletic program, it will never happen. Vandy is great in baseball and has had its basketball moments. Some of their basketball players have been very, very good.

But if it's about football, which I think it is, Vanderbilt is on borrowed time. The SEC won't ask 'em to leave, per se, but they'll ask for massive upgrades to Dudley Field, improved competitiveness that requires Vanderbilt to recruit athletes they won't chase today and minimum attendance expectations.

They may be able to get around the stadium issue by playing at Nissan Stadium, or the new Metro Field that's being debated in Nashville, but the academics and attendance will be a big problem.
I would be worried too if I was Vandy. I say this in all seriousness; now that academics are not part of the equation, the SEC does not need Vandy. Football is the ONLY factor in all of this and Vandy does not fit the SEC/BIG10 model membership. You can make a better case for UAB than Vandy. Or maybe Vandy isn't worried and is ready to move on, the University of Chicago has done just fine without the BIG10.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1133 on: July 03, 2022, 08:36:54 AM »
I would be worried too if I was Vandy. I say this in all seriousness; now that academics are not part of the equation, the SEC does not need Vandy. Football is the ONLY factor in all of this and Vandy does not fit the SEC/BIG10 model membership. You can make a better case for UAB than Vandy. Or maybe Vandy isn't worried and is ready to move on, the University of Chicago has done just fine without the BIG10.

Nashville is a good market
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1134 on: July 03, 2022, 08:41:47 AM »
Nashville is a good market
True, but Houston is a great market and its not on anyone's radar.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1135 on: July 03, 2022, 08:43:40 AM »
Why wouldn't the leftovers not form their own conference especially schools like UNC, Kansas and Duke the basketball blue bloods. Sure, football is driving all this but I think there is a strong basketball after taste who will not get left out in left field. When you think about it, how many schools have consistently fielded good football and basketball teams? As one who does not follow college football, off the top of my hat the only schools that come to mind are Ohio State and Wisconsin. I am sure there are others but not many.

They might form their own, which is why I didn't say it was a given, just that we should work towards it.

And it depends on your definition of "good" but I would say many schools are good in both basketball and football
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1136 on: July 03, 2022, 08:44:59 AM »

I've oft3n wondered about them. On paper they should be a bigger player in realignment.  Maybe the SEC feels like TAMU and TU already deliver the Houston market
TAMU

panda

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: July 03, 2022, 09:11:22 AM »

With streaming platforms and pay for programming coming into play, the market grab will become less and less prevalent.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1138 on: July 03, 2022, 09:25:21 AM »
The SEC isn't kicking out Vanderbilt.  The history of conferences kicking out a member for non-competitiveness are few and far between (and messy to say the least - see Temple/Big East).  As the lone private institution in the SEC, there is also great financial value in the conference having Vanderbilt (in addition to the academic association they bring).  Now, Vanderbilt could one day say "this is too much and we can't continue down this path".  However, no President or BOT wants to be an ex-President or ex-Board member by willingly turning down ~$80-100 million annually I'm television revenue. That certainly isn't happening either.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1139 on: July 03, 2022, 09:29:46 AM »
The SEC isn't kicking out Vanderbilt.  The history of conferences kicking out a member for non-competitiveness are few and far between (and messy to say the least - see Temple/Big East).  As the lone private institution in the SEC, there is also great financial value in the conference having Vanderbilt (in addition to the academic association they bring).  Now, Vanderbilt could one day say "this is too much and we can't continue down this path".  However, no President or BOT wants to be an ex-President or ex-Board member by willingly turning down ~$80-100 million annually I'm television revenue. That certainly isn't happening either.
You're probably right but "academic association" means nothing.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1140 on: July 03, 2022, 09:43:08 AM »
LOL was a joke
Goal is National Championship

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: July 03, 2022, 10:00:01 AM »
With streaming platforms and pay for programming coming into play, the market grab will become less and less prevalent.

That’s incorrect.  The market matters for alumni that live in said markets
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1142 on: July 03, 2022, 10:02:30 AM »
I've oft3n wondered about them. On paper they should be a bigger player in realignment.  Maybe the SEC feels like TAMU and TU already deliver the Houston market

With global warming running unchecked, Houston will be under water sooner than later, so it makes sense

panda

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: July 03, 2022, 10:22:38 AM »
That’s incorrect.  The market matters for alumni that live in said markets

I think brand recognition matters much more at this point than market. Houston is an interesting example. While I don’t personally know the perception of the university within the city, they could be a huge given their recent commitment athletic success.

However adding a random school from a big market does not boost conference caliber. Smart additions from programs with a track record of success is the way to go moving forward to appeal to a national, streaming audience.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1144 on: July 03, 2022, 10:36:22 AM »
Won't happen for the same reason the C7, UC, UConn and USF didn't dissolve the Big East in 2012: no one is forfeiting tournament credits or (hypothetical) exit fees.

The remaining schools will not have a choice if the majority vote for dissolution. There may be enough going to the SEC, and B10 to force a dissolution of the ACC.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1145 on: July 03, 2022, 11:40:56 AM »
I think brand recognition matters much more at this point than market. Houston is an interesting example. While I don’t personally know the perception of the university within the city, they could be a huge given their recent commitment athletic success.

However adding a random school from a big market does not boost conference caliber. Smart additions from programs with a track record of success is the way to go moving forward to appeal to a national, streaming audience.

Big 16 says, see Rutgers and Maryland

panda

• All American
« Reply #1146 on: July 03, 2022, 12:27:00 PM »

I did buy a $2 lower bowl friday ticket to the big ten tournament in Brooklyn last year. Catch the fever !

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: July 03, 2022, 12:31:25 PM »
The remaining schools will not have a choice if the majority vote for dissolution. There may be enough going to the SEC, and B10 to force a dissolution of the ACC.

The Big East (2012) had the same opportunity when Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Louisville, Rutgers, Notre Dame and the C7 had overwhelming majority interest to dissolve the conference.  Each could have kept their tournament credits and eliminated their exit fees.

For many reasons, that just doesn't happen.  It won't happen here either.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1148 on: July 03, 2022, 12:34:33 PM »

You’re making my point. Rutgers and Maryland have no brand recognition. They’re not growing the b10 brand. Usc and ucla will absolutely do that.

Rutgers and Maryland were worthless additions with the idea of eastern expansion. Usc and ucla could be located anywhere and they both carry the name that will excite common fans anywhere. 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1149 on: July 03, 2022, 12:34:54 PM »

Wish Mike Aresco realized that in 2012 before inviting Memphis, Houston, SMU, UCF, Tulane and ECU.  His media market plan destroyed the TV valuation to pennies on the dollar, cementing the basketball schools to jump ship.

feedback