[Today at 02:06:54 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 326430 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #1100 on: July 02, 2022, 05:53:40 AM »
A minor league based on school affiliation. I don't see them week electing to give up something making them literally billions to try to make something work that has never worked before despite multiple attempts.

The big schools may break off from the NCAA one day and not take the Big East with them.  I don't think it will happen but I see why others do. Completely dropping school affiliation in favor of the a glorified g league? Not going to happen.

Now if the Bucks designated MU as a minor league club that would be something.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1101 on: July 02, 2022, 07:06:57 AM »
Meh.  A bunch of scoopers have already done that.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1102 on: July 02, 2022, 08:23:27 AM »
Kansas to the Big East so Creighton is no longer the dirtiest program?

Add Gonzaga, ND & Kansas and not have to worry about anything for 50 years.

Once Few left Gonzaga maybe 35 years.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1103 on: July 02, 2022, 09:49:20 AM »
My guess as to what will happen:

NBC and Fox come together to make Notre Dame an offer they can’t refuse to join the Big 10. It’s in both networks best interest to work together here, NBC negotiates to keep ND home games, Fox gets ND road games, and NBC pays a premium for picking up a 4:30 pm Big 10 game each week.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1104 on: July 02, 2022, 10:02:57 AM »
A couple of side notes:

Some UCONN fans on Boneyard are sure that the ACC will come calling soon. Must be something in the water in Storrs,

What will Bill Walton say in lieu of "Conference of Champions" over and over again when announcing PAC games?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1105 on: July 02, 2022, 11:15:40 AM »
A couple of side notes:

Some UCONN fans on Boneyard are sure that the ACC will come calling soon. Must be something in the water in Storrs,

What will Bill Walton say in lieu of "Conference of Champions" over and over again when announcing PAC games?

They might, but the ACC is dead.  UNC, FSU, Clemson, Virginia and Georgia Tech are as good as gone.   Miami and Duke will be interesting but I’d bet they’ll both be gone
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1106 on: July 02, 2022, 01:29:14 PM »
I've been thinking more about this. We don't know how long it will take but it seems inevitable that we are heading to 2 super football conferences. The only questions are how bloated these behemoths will get and who will make the cut and who will be left in the in the ACC/P12/B12 which will be the equivalent of the AAC/MWC/Sun Belt.

It seems certain that there will be some top basketball programs who don't make the cut as well as some solid basketball programs with large state school alumni bases. Programs like Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Miami (FL), Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, Wake Forest, Boston College, Washington, Oregon, Cal, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Texas Tech, BYU...some of them will get the coveted B1G/SEC invite, but I think most are left on the outside looking it.

I think the Big East can be in a position to be a predator in conference realignment. It might not happen this year but they should be finding ways to bring some of these schools (and Gonzaga) into the fold so we can make our own basketball superconference. Make it so there is no doubt that the top basketball conference is neither the the Big 10 nor the SEC so if they ever do break off and try to form their own tournament, they have to work with us or risk a direct competitor that gets just as many eyeballs.

I don't know if it can be pulled off, but that's the direction we should be heading.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1107 on: July 02, 2022, 02:14:49 PM »
A couple of side notes:

I’d be lying if I said that wasn’t one of the first things I thought of after the news.  Also, would be hilarious to have him on PAC 12 broadcasts after his beloved Bruins are gone and his stories about UCLA and USC are irrelevant

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1108 on: July 02, 2022, 02:44:49 PM »

I think the Big East can be in a position to be a predator in conference realignment. It might not happen this year but they should be finding ways to bring some of these schools (and Gonzaga) into the fold so we can make our own basketball super conference. Make it so there is no doubt that the top basketball conference is neither the Big 10 nor the SEC so if they ever do break off and try to form their own tournament, they have to work with us or risk a direct competitor that gets just as many eyeballs.

I don't know if it can be pulled off, but that's the direction we should be heading.

I like this. I trust Val to put together a strategic and marketing plan to address realignment and not only protect but also advance the BE under the new power structure. I could see her bringing someone in as a consultant, maybe Jay Wright, to offer his insight into making this work.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1109 on: July 02, 2022, 03:32:31 PM »
Maebea MU kan join da Big 10 inn basketball only, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #1110 on: July 02, 2022, 03:53:00 PM »
Maebea MU kan join da Big 10 inn basketball only, hey?
none off us on here would say no if were being honest. it ovbiously wont ever hapen tho anyways

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1111 on: July 02, 2022, 03:56:44 PM »
I can see a scenario whereby the Big East schools are left out holding their johnsons, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1112 on: July 02, 2022, 04:08:59 PM »
They might, but the ACC is dead.  UNC, FSU, Clemson, Virginia and Georgia Tech are as good as gone.   Miami and Duke will be interesting but I’d bet they’ll both be gone

Is it time for ESPN to produce a "Requiem for the ACC"?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1113 on: July 02, 2022, 04:45:19 PM »
I can see a scenario whereby the Big East schools are left out holding their johnsons, aina?

Left out from what?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1114 on: July 02, 2022, 04:58:34 PM »
The newly expanded super conferences, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1115 on: July 02, 2022, 05:15:05 PM »
The worst Power 5 scores attendance wise for football. Five-year average attendance figures. 130 total schools.
80. Kansas 26,110
79. Duke     27,115
78 Wake Forest 27,081
74 Vanderbilt 29,810
73 Wash St. 30,339
64 Boston Co. 34,018
63 Oregon St. 35,017
62 Syracuse 35,608
60 Northwestern 37,125
57 Maryland 39,001
56 Illinois 39.831

At what point does football become too expensive to keep? Especially for Duke and Kansas.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1116 on: July 02, 2022, 05:24:08 PM »
The worst Power 5 scores attendance wise for football. Five-year average attendance figures. 130 total schools.
80. Kansas 26,110
79. Duke     27,115
78 Wake Forest 27,081
74 Vanderbilt 29,810
73 Wash St. 30,339
64 Boston Co. 34,018
63 Oregon St. 35,017
62 Syracuse 35,608
60 Northwestern 37,125
57 Maryland 39,001
56 Illinois 39.831

At what point does football become too expensive to keep? Especially for Duke and Kansas.

All of these schools will have football 20 years from now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1117 on: July 02, 2022, 05:47:34 PM »
All of these schools will have football 20 years from now.

I agree. But they will all continue to lose money on it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1118 on: July 02, 2022, 05:58:55 PM »
The newly expanded super conferences, hey?

Right, that’s a given. 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1119 on: July 02, 2022, 06:08:54 PM »
Estimates project that ND could pay between $100 and $175 million to the ACC for breaking the GOR.  If they do end up in the Big Ten, it's wild that they'd be able to pay off their exit fees with 2 years (if the market projections of $120 million per B1G school are accurate).

If ND finds a way out of the ACC GOR, rest assured Florida State, Clemson and North Carolina will do so as well.  The ACC is in big trouble.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1120 on: July 02, 2022, 06:37:34 PM »
COLE Grandpa
Goal is National Championship

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1121 on: July 02, 2022, 07:32:07 PM »
Estimates project that ND could pay between $100 and $175 million to the ACC for breaking the GOR.  If they do end up in the Big Ten, it's wild that they'd be able to pay off their exit fees with 2 years (if the market projections of $120 million per B1G school are accurate).

If ND finds a way out of the ACC GOR, rest assured Florida State, Clemson and North Carolina will do so as well.  The ACC is in big trouble.

If 7 schools + ND want to leave, they can force the dissolution of the conference and not owe anyone media rights or payouts.

UNC, Virginia, and ND to the B10
Clemson, Miami + 2 others to the SEC

And there is no ACC anymore.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1122 on: July 02, 2022, 07:37:32 PM »

I don’t believe for a second any GOR exit fee will hold ND back. Fox/NBC/Big 10 will tidy all that up with little sweat.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1123 on: July 02, 2022, 07:37:44 PM »
If 7 schools + ND want to leave, they can force the dissolution of the conference and not owe anyone media rights or payouts.

UNC, Virginia, and ND to the B10
Clemson, Miami + 2 others to the SEC

And there is no ACC anymore.

Won't happen for the same reason the C7, UC, UConn and USF didn't dissolve the Big East in 2012: no one is forfeiting tournament credits or (hypothetical) exit fees.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1124 on: July 02, 2022, 10:22:44 PM »
Big  question is when does the SEC say, "Thank you Vanderbilt. It has been a pleasure having you."

If it's about the total athletic program, it will never happen. Vandy is great in baseball and has had its basketball moments. Some of their basketball players have been very, very good.

But if it's about football, which I think it is, Vanderbilt is on borrowed time. The SEC won't ask 'em to leave, per se, but they'll ask for massive upgrades to Dudley Field, improved competitiveness that requires Vanderbilt to recruit athletes they won't chase today and minimum attendance expectations.

They may be able to get around the stadium issue by playing at Nissan Stadium, or the new Metro Field that's being debated in Nashville, but the academics and attendance will be a big problem.