[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 College Football thread  (Read 64723 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: 2021-22 College Football thread
« Reply #900 on: January 01, 2022, 08:01:33 PM »
Not sure why Utah didn’t use TOs, not sure why they didn’t let OSU score, not sure why their KR didn’t go down before clock expired. Fun game but everyone knew the outcome when tOSU had 2 minutes left. 346 receiving yards is insane.

First play of that 2 minute drive when Smith Nijigba caught it. Shoulda let him house it for 50 yards. Only chance was to get ball back immediately and play for OT
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #901 on: January 01, 2022, 08:04:07 PM »
Wow, many Baylor fans made the trip to New Orleans. Looks like a packed house at the Sugar Bowl.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #902 on: January 01, 2022, 09:21:33 PM »

Tough Injury for Matt Corral. Was carted off the field and is on crutches. You can see the anguish on his face on the sidelines. Opted to play in the game to be with his teammates and now potentially an ACL
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #903 on: January 01, 2022, 09:26:59 PM »
Really feel bad for the guy. Hopefully it isn’t that bad and won’t affect his draft status. But this is just going to accelerate this movement.

If the playoffs expand, they need to find a way to offer some compensation that players could turn into disability insurance.

BTW Greg McElroy claiming this won’t affect his draft status is kind of icky.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #904 on: January 02, 2022, 06:48:22 AM »
Really feel bad for the guy. Hopefully it isn’t that bad and won’t affect his draft status. But this is just going to accelerate this movement.

If the playoffs expand, they need to find a way to offer some compensation that players could turn into disability insurance.

BTW Greg McElroy claiming this won’t affect his draft status is kind of icky.

ESPN execs must have passed the memo to their on-air personalities about praising the kids that play in these exhibitions and question the heart of those that don’t.  Pretty gross day for espn yesterday
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

MU82

• All American
« Reply #905 on: January 02, 2022, 07:21:34 AM »
ESPN execs must have passed the memo to their on-air personalities about praising the kids that play in these exhibitions and question the heart of those that don’t.  Pretty gross day for espn yesterday

I don't watch exhibition games (except the Panthers - ha!), so I didn't see/hear any of ESPN's commentary. But the general tone out there is that "So-and-so is playing because he's a great teammate who loves his team," which obviously implies that a guy like Kenny Pickett is a bad teammate who doesn't love his team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #906 on: January 02, 2022, 07:25:15 AM »
I don't watch exhibition games (except the Panthers - ha!), so I didn't see/hear any of ESPN's commentary. But the general tone out there is that "So-and-so is playing because he's a great teammate who loves his team," which obviously implies that a guy like Kenny Pickett is a bad teammate who doesn't love his team.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1477302609790869504?s=20
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #907 on: January 02, 2022, 09:32:52 AM »
Thanks for the 10,000 time saying you don't watch bowl games. One saying a guy is a good teammate who plays doesn't mean the other who doesn't play is a bad teammate.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #908 on: January 02, 2022, 12:12:20 PM »
One saying a guy is a good teammate who plays doesn't mean the other who doesn't play is a bad teammate.

OK, Mr. N, but here's some fun takes for you from some "experts" ...

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1477302609790869504?s=20

"This era of player doesn't love football."

"Kids don't really care."

"They have a sense of entitlement."

"These student-athletes nowadays ... "

Hey you kids ... get off of Herbstreit's and Howard's lawns!!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #909 on: January 02, 2022, 12:37:28 PM »
OK, Mr. N, but here's some fun takes for you from some "experts" ...

"This era of player doesn't love football."

"Kids don't really care."

"They have a sense of entitlement."

"These student-athletes nowadays ... "

Hey you kids ... get off of Herbstreit's and Howard's lawns!!

They aren’t wrong though.  The numbers on transfer portal is more definitive proof of that, especially when kids go up during preseason practice or during the season.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #910 on: January 02, 2022, 12:41:48 PM »
They aren’t wrong though.  The numbers on transfer portal is more definitive proof of that, especially when kids go up during preseason practice or during the season.

Gonna need you to show your work on that math.

• All American
« Reply #911 on: January 02, 2022, 12:49:16 PM »

How are they “not wrong?”  Do you have a metric that measures how much someone loves football or is entitled?

Because these are opinions. And instead of stating what issues this could cause college football, they placed blame on the players in a way of comparison to their era. Which is never a good look because the circumstances are completely different.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #912 on: January 02, 2022, 12:51:55 PM »
I think they are showing their love of football by not wanting to sit out the next year due to a major injury for what amounts to an exhibition game. Do the pros not care about football because they don’t play full pre-season games?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #913 on: January 02, 2022, 01:05:29 PM »
I think they are showing their love of football by not wanting to sit out the next year due to a major injury for what amounts to an exhibition game. Do the pros not care about football because they don’t play full pre-season games?

Major college football is the minor leagues of the NFL.  NFL is fine with kids sitting out

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #914 on: January 02, 2022, 01:41:22 PM »
Gonna need you to show your work on that math.

Just look at the transfer numbers today compared to prior years. Didn’t get QB1 as a freshman? Didn’t get 30 minutes a game and 15 shots a game? I’m out. Or are the Hausers the only ones who can be relentlessly criticized for that?

I don’t begrudge a kid for not playing in a bowl/exhibition game, but the transfer numbers show the new attitudes of instant gratification or else more than anything.

• All American
« Reply #915 on: January 02, 2022, 01:55:34 PM »
Just look at the transfer numbers today compared to prior years. Didn’t get QB1 as a freshman? Didn’t get 30 minutes a game and 15 shots a game? I’m out. Or are the Hausers the only ones who can be relentlessly criticized for that?

I don’t begrudge a kid for not playing in a bowl/exhibition game, but the transfer numbers show the new attitudes of instant gratification or else more than anything.

Of course it’s all on the players in your eyes. They are the problem right?  Never the coaches or anyone else. But it’s the players who don’t understand work or sacrifice, but simply want “instant gratification.”  🙄🙄🙄

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #916 on: January 02, 2022, 01:59:20 PM »
Of course it’s all on the players in your eyes. They are the problem right?  Never the coaches or anyone else. But it’s the players who don’t understand work or sacrifice, but simply want “instant gratification.”  🙄🙄🙄

Today’s players understand their worth far more than previous generations. 

Every generation since the beginning of time has bemoaned the previous generations dedication to hard work.  It’s like death and taxes

MU82

• All American
« Reply #917 on: January 02, 2022, 05:32:28 PM »

They are wrong though. The transfer portal has nothing to do with the subject being discussed. But it’s a nice try at deflection.

I don’t remember you ripping multimillionaire coaches for quitting on their bowl-bound teams, either. I guess those coaches don’t love football, don’t care, and have a sense of entitlement.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #918 on: January 02, 2022, 07:47:07 PM »

Yeah they can tell that to Kenny Pickett who will  now go at least a full round sooner than Corral

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #919 on: January 02, 2022, 08:02:52 PM »
Yeah they can tell that to Kenny Pickett who will  now go at least a full round sooner than Corral

Matt Corrall's draft stock isn't going to change because he suffered a sprained ankle in a bowl game.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #920 on: January 02, 2022, 08:24:00 PM »
Matt Corrall's draft stock isn't going to change because he suffered a sprained ankle in a bowl game.

Good news that the injury was an ankle sprain .
https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/03/matt-corral-injury-positive-update-ole-miss-sugar-bowl
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #921 on: January 03, 2022, 11:22:39 AM »
Ja'Marr Chase and Micah Parsons didn't just sit out bowl games ... they sat out the entire 2020 season.

They will be (or at least should be) the NFL's offensive and defensive rookies of the year.

Watching them play at an extremely high level for playoff-bound teams, and watching them celebrate their many great accomplishments, it's clear that Herbstreit is right about them "not loving football."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #922 on: January 03, 2022, 01:10:34 PM »

Yes, it's the fault of coaches kids bounce around from high school to high school, then when they don't get the starting spot in the preseason or a new commitment comes in, they bail. Case in point: Quinn Evers. Bailing after one semester.

Hell, the MBB season is around the halfway point and there are already 256 players in the Transfer Portal.  For football, 1422 kids from FBS, 1131 from FCS. That's a lot of bad coaches, eh? 

• All American
« Reply #923 on: January 03, 2022, 01:35:24 PM »
Yes, it's the fault of coaches kids bounce around from high school to high school, then when they don't get the starting spot in the preseason or a new commitment comes in, they bail. Case in point: Quinn Evers. Bailing after one semester.

Hell, the MBB season is around the halfway point and there are already 256 players in the Transfer Portal.  For football, 1422 kids from FBS, 1131 from FCS. That's a lot of bad coaches, eh? 

I didn't explain my point correctly.  My point is that I don't think transfers are a problem per se.  I don't really blame anyone for transfers on the macro level, and don't really care enough to do the research on the micro level to determine "blame" in any individual case or to determine if the player made a good decision.

Transfers are simply part of the landscape of college sports that coaches have to deal with, and are paid handsomely to do so.  And if they don't want to, there are others who will do it instead.  Taken as a whole, they are neither good nor bad.

As for Quinn Evers....who knows?  Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't.  But I have zero problem with him transferring. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #924 on: January 03, 2022, 01:41:42 PM »

Coaches "bail" for what they perceive to be better opportunities all the time. Many are serial "bouncers." I think Lon Kruger coached every college basketball team in America.

A few football coaches bailed on their bowl teams just this season -- including bailing on teams headed for New Year's Day bowls. One even bailed on his team when it was, at the time, still in contention for a playoff spot. Why doesn't all that bailing bother you?

All of those quitters were under big-money, long-term contracts that, it turns out, meant even less than exhibition bowl games do. I wonder how many of them, days before bailing, had told their players they would always, always, always, always be loyal to them forever and ever.

It's nobody's "fault," Billy. It's just the game. The difference now is that while coaches have always been free agents -- no matter how long or how pricey their contracts -- athletes finally have a little say over their futures. It's about time, given that they're the ones putting their arses (and knees and brains) on the line.

I'm not sure why it bothers you that a 20-year-old might have a tiny bit of control but it doesn't bother you that a 50-year-old can quit over and over and over again.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 06:56:23 PM by MU82 »