[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Galapagos Islands  (Read 2976 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: The Galapagos Islands
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2022, 08:41:37 AM »
If only folks treated each other as well as they cared for and treated animals, aina?

I guess you need a "Marquette Crime on animals" thread.  It's pervasive:
https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/animal-cruelty-facts-and-stats

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2022, 09:02:38 AM »
The vitriol towards tortoises from other people here is not right and not in the least bit humorous.   We are destroying many our beloved species and your lack of compassion is troubling and disturbing.

Brother Mugs:

We have giant sea tortoises that spawn on the Beaches of Florida's Treasure Coast, including the beach just down the block from our home. The State of Florida and the federal government are quite clear about what you can and can't do along our beaches during the nesting and egg laying season. The goal is to ensure that our sea tortoises remain a vibrant part of our environment.

The sea turtle is very much a protected species and is among the wildlife that makes our part of the world special. I would note that less than three miles from my home is the nation's first National Wildlife Refuge -- Pelican Island. The refuge was created by Congress and signed into law during the Theodore Roosevelt Administration. Pelican Island was designed to protect the diversity of sea and shore birds from the feather harvesting that was occurring at the time

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2022, 09:17:52 AM »
If only folks treated each other as well as they cared for and treated animals, aina?

Never much got this sentiment.  Its been my experience that most who treat animals well are also respectful to other hoomans and that the other category of people are just pricks all around.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2022, 10:20:19 AM »
Brother Mugs:

We have giant sea tortoises that spawn on the Beaches of Florida's Treasure Coast, including the beach just down the block from our home. The State of Florida and the federal government are quite clear about what you can and can't do along our beaches during the nesting and egg laying season. The goal is to ensure that our sea tortoises remain a vibrant part of our environment.

The sea turtle is very much a protected species and is among the wildlife that makes our part of the world special. I would note that less than three miles from my home is the nation's first National Wildlife Refuge -- Pelican Island. The refuge was created by Congress and signed into law during the Theodore Roosevelt Administration. Pelican Island was designed to protect the diversity of sea and shore birds from the feather harvesting that was occurring at the time

Thank you for sharing this brother dgies.  They are doing wonderful work for those precious sea turtles but it's very difficult for the hatchlings to survive with all of their obstacles.  They have tremendous instincts but can get caught in the sand.  Watching them make it to the sea must be a real thrill.  They're an amazing species and I'm glad your community shows such respect and compassion. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2022, 11:04:40 AM »
No internet coverage. Scoop-free zone.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2022, 03:20:39 PM »
Thank you for sharing this brother dgies.  They are doing wonderful work for those precious sea turtles but it's very difficult for the hatchlings to survive with all of their obstacles.  They have tremendous instincts but can get caught in the sand.  Watching them make it to the sea must be a real thrill.  They're an amazing species and I'm glad your community shows such respect and compassion.
Hey Muggsy, serious question (not food related). Do you do much conservationism in your local habitat? Here's one I support in the area I grew up. Little over an hour south of Chicago.

https://www.nature.org/en-us/get-involved/how-to-help/places-we-protect/kankakee-sands/

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2022, 03:21:37 PM »
I guess you need a "Marquette Crime on animals" thread.  It's pervasive:
https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/animal-cruelty-facts-and-stats

No one has seen the Marquette Turkey in several years.  Just sayin'.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2022, 03:36:36 PM »
Saw a Sea Turtle Nest hatch last summer in front of our house and they all made it to the Ocean. They travel to The Sargasso Sea and return 7 years later. Supposedly only one in a thousand make it back.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2022, 03:51:42 PM »
Hey Muggsy, serious question (not food related). Do you do much conservationism in your local habitat? Here's one I support in the area I grew up. Little over an hour south of Chicago.

https://www.nature.org/en-us/get-involved/how-to-help/places-we-protect/kankakee-sands/

I will admit that I could do much more as I haven't volunteered a whole lot where they need quite a bit of help.  The four main groups in conservation that I donate to near me are:

The Conservation Fund
NFWF
WSORC
Monterey Aquariam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2022, 12:51:01 PM »
No one has seen the Marquette Turkey in several years.  Just sayin'.

On the contare, there are many turkeys on campus who then graduate and post on Scoop. Just sayin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2022, 12:56:12 PM »

On the contare, there are many turkeys on campus who then graduate and post on Scoop. Just sayin', hey?

Lot of them from the dental school
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2022, 08:53:57 PM »
Whatever is easiest for you pbifllyer.  I appreciate it.  I guess I'm mostly trying to figure out how many days one should spend in Quito or perhaps other spots in Ecuador?  Thx again.

From my friend:
As to Galapagos: I have to review the names of the places I liked best.

It was definitely my favorite place to visit so far.

The two coolest things to see was the marine iguanas feeding in the water and sea lions swimming with us.

I think the sea lions at only so friendly on florianda

The marine iguanas we saw everywhere but only in the water feeding on that newest island next to Isabella

Floreana is the sea lion island, Fernandina is the marine iguanas island.

So I would recommend looking for boats that pass these two areas

We used adventure-life.com

But the thing is: there are about 300 boats around the island, it will matter only on which you land. They range from expensive to very expensive.
However if u want to stay in a hotel I recommend this one. It is on San crystobal I forgot the name, but my favorite hotel in the world

Will ask about time in Ecuador proper.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2022, 09:45:51 PM »
From my friend:
As to Galapagos: I have to review the names of the places I liked best.

It was definitely my favorite place to visit so far.

The two coolest things to see was the marine iguanas feeding in the water and sea lions swimming with us.

I think the sea lions at only so friendly on florianda

The marine iguanas we saw everywhere but only in the water feeding on that newest island next to Isabella

Floreana is the sea lion island, Fernandina is the marine iguanas island.

So I would recommend looking for boats that pass these two areas

We used adventure-life.com

But the thing is: there are about 300 boats around the island, it will matter only on which you land. They range from expensive to very expensive.
However if u want to stay in a hotel I recommend this one. It is on San crystobal I forgot the name, but my favorite hotel in the world

Will ask about time in Ecuador proper.

Tyvm pbiflyer.  There seem to be quite a few reasonable hotel options.

feedback