collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 College Football thread  (Read 63582 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: 2021-22 College Football thread
« Reply #925 on: January 03, 2022, 02:30:34 PM »
As for Quinn Evers....who knows?  Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't.  But I have zero problem with him transferring.

People getting bent out of shape about Ewers is so bizarre to me.  He originally committed to Texas, NIL rules were a part of the reason he changed his commitment.  Things have obviously changed both at Texas as well as with NIL.  And he wasn't just bailing cause he wasn't good enough or whatnot.  He was a year younger than normal AND was sitting behind a Heisman finalist who had 1, if not 2, more years.  Good QBs have been leaving in that situation for years, not just in this "new" era.  People expecting a top 5 recruit to sit for 2+ years are the same who probably hated when free agency was brought into pro sports.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #926 on: January 03, 2022, 08:18:17 PM »
Thanks for posting this . Can you post the December 30 games when they are available . Curious to see those numbers

Peach Bowl (Pitt/Michigan State)  7.646M

Music City Bowl (Tennessee/Purdue) 5.594M

Las Vegas Bowl (Wisconsin/Arizona State) 3.653M

Duke's Mayo Bowl (UNC/South Carolina) 2.597M
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #927 on: January 04, 2022, 02:48:14 PM »
College Football Playoffs semifinals down.

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/college-football-playoff-viewership-slides-again.html

I can't understand how they continue to screw up something so easily fixed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #928 on: January 04, 2022, 03:23:10 PM »
College Football Playoffs semifinals down.

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/college-football-playoff-viewership-slides-again.html

I can't understand how they continue to screw up something so easily fixed.

Brother Fluff:

Until the Playoffs stop being the Alabama Invitational Tournament or the SEC Second Chance Playoffs, ratings will continue to drop.

What this year's tournament exposed was the inherent weakness in the rest of college football relative to the SEC. While the Big 10, Notre Dame, Big 12 and Pac 12 offered some exciting football, none of those conferences hold a candle to the best of the SEC. When Florida and LSU fire a winning head coach because the coach wasn't headed for a natty, you know you are in a different world than the Big 10.

Why do you think Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Arkansas, South Carolina and Missouri all fled for the SEC? They know if they compete in the SEC, they're better than the rest of the world. As the conference itself says, "It just means more..."

Until this changes, college football playoff ratings will be waaaaaaaayyyyyyy down.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #929 on: January 04, 2022, 03:29:11 PM »
Brother Fluff:

Until the Playoffs stop being the Alabama Invitational Tournament or the SEC Second Chance Playoffs, ratings will continue to drop.

What this year's tournament exposed was the inherent weakness in the rest of college football relative to the SEC. While the Big 10, Notre Dame, Big 12 and Pac 12 offered some exciting football, none of those conferences hold a candle to the best of the SEC. When Florida and LSU fire a winning head coach because the coach wasn't headed for a natty, you know you are in a different world than the Big 10.

Why do you think Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Arkansas, South Carolina and Missouri all fled for the SEC? They know if they compete in the SEC, they're better than the rest of the world. As the conference itself says, "It just means more..."

Until this changes, college football playoff ratings will be waaaaaaaayyyyyyy down.

They need to expand the tournament, which will get more people invested and heighten the opportunity for upsets.  P5 conference champion, best Group of 5 champion, six at large.

As I mentioned earlier, 12 teams.  First round mid December Saturday on campus sites.  Quarterfinals on New Year's Day - a day made for college football.  Semis on the Saturday of the NFL's Week 18.  Championship Game on some Monday.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #930 on: January 04, 2022, 03:31:34 PM »
Brother Fluff:

Ratings are bad on NYE
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #931 on: January 04, 2022, 03:41:51 PM »

They need to expand the tournament, which will get more people invested and heighten the opportunity for upsets.  P5 conference champion, best Group of 5 champion, six at large.

Don't you think it will only expand the interest of fans of the extra 8 teams in the field? People in Chicago or NYC won't care anymore than they do now.

We can't even find 4 teams with a realistic chance to win it all. I don't think we need 8-10 teams with no chance.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #932 on: January 04, 2022, 03:45:29 PM »
Don't you think it will only expand the interest of fans of the extra 8 teams in the field? People in Chicago or NYC won't care anymore than they do now.

We can't even find 4 teams with a realistic chance to win it all. I don't think we need 8-10 teams with no chance.

I think the more games you play, the more eyeballs will watch.  Same reason the NCAA basketball tournament, NFL, and every other sports league expand their playoffs, because the more teams involved, the larger the buzz.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #933 on: January 04, 2022, 03:50:27 PM »

I think the more games you play, the more eyeballs will watch.  Same reason the NCAA basketball tournament, NFL, and every other sports league expand their playoffs, because the more teams involved, the larger the buzz.

I don't know that I agree. Those eyeballs will still be watching those teams in their bowl games without having to expand to teams that have no chance to win the natty.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #934 on: January 04, 2022, 04:39:49 PM »
I don't know that I agree. Those eyeballs will still be watching those teams in their bowl games without having to expand to teams that have no chance to win the natty.

Eh. I’m not sure. I am a list as casual of a College Football fan as you can be, and I tuned in for the games. I wouldn’t do that for a normal bowl game.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #935 on: January 04, 2022, 05:06:31 PM »

You don’t think that more people would watch Ole Miss v Baylor if it meant something versus just being the Sugar Bowl?  I highly disagree with that.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #936 on: January 04, 2022, 05:16:19 PM »

As I mentioned earlier, 12 teams.  First round mid December Saturday on campus sites.  Quarterfinals on New Year's Day - a day made for college football.  Semis on the Saturday of the NFL's Week 18.  Championship Game on some Monday.

Brother Fluff:

Prove to me it will matter and that a non-SEC team has more than a snowball's chance in hell and I'll bite.

I might argue Clemson generally belongs in the talk with Alabama and Georgia but that's the exception rather than the rule.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #937 on: January 04, 2022, 05:29:55 PM »
You don’t think that more people would watch Ole Miss v Baylor if it meant something versus just being the Sugar Bowl?  I highly disagree with that.

It would matter to some, but not a bit to me.

I'm sure there would be a marginal increase but I don't know about huge numbers.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #938 on: January 04, 2022, 07:11:17 PM »

12 teams would be awful. College football just doesn’t have the parity.

At the end of the day it’s gonna be the same teams Bama/Clemson/Georgia with the chance to win the title.

All you’re doing with 12 teams is putting worse product out there and having Bama NFL kids risk more injury to go out and paste a couple extra teams.

If #3 and #4 can’t hang with the top 2. 11 and 12 sure as hell are not.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #939 on: January 04, 2022, 07:19:22 PM »
12 teams would be awful. College football just doesn’t have the parity.

At the end of the day it’s gonna be the same teams Bama/Clemson/Georgia with the chance to win the title.

All you’re doing with 12 teams is putting worse product out there and having Bama NFL kids risk more injury to go out and paste a couple extra teams.

If #3 and #4 can’t hang with the top 2. 11 and 12 sure as hell are not.

In the eight years that the College Football Playoff has taken place, the #1 and #2 seeds have only met in the championship three times, with the last time being 2019.

#1 has made the final 6 times, and only won it twice.
#2 has made it four times, and won it three times
#3 has made it four times, and never won it
#4 has made it twice, and won it both times.

That sounds like parity similar to the NCAA basketball tournament right? 

You add more teams and sure you are going to get some bad games, but you will also get more upsets and some good football.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #940 on: January 04, 2022, 07:40:51 PM »

In the eight years that the College Football Playoff has taken place, the #1 and #2 seeds have only met in the championship three times, with the last time being 2019.

#1 has made the final 6 times, and only won it twice.
#2 has made it four times, and won it three times
#3 has made it four times, and never won it
#4 has made it twice, and won it both times.

That sounds like parity similar to the NCAA basketball tournament right? 

You add more teams and sure you are going to get some bad games, but you will also get more upsets and some good football.

I’m calling 1 and 2 to be Bama and whoever of Clemson/Georgia is there these days.

Who knows what seed they get based off subjective inbalanced schedules.

Regardless. Those teams are gonna keep rolling these games.

With Ohio State having a chance some years or a different SEC power like LSU.

So maybe just let the top 6 of the SEC compete i guess
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #941 on: January 04, 2022, 10:49:00 PM »
Ratings are bad on NYE

This. Play those games on Wed 12/29 or Thu 12/30, and you get a lot more eyeballs IMHO.

I'm a casual college football fan. I watched the first semifinal until I got bored with the blowout and switched to something else. We went to a friend's house for NYE and I didn't see one second of the second semi. Had that game been the previous night, I would have watched at least until the bored-till-blowout stage.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #942 on: January 05, 2022, 08:54:31 AM »
More ratings
Orange Bowl 17.2M (CFP)
Cotton Bowl 16.6M (CFP)

Other NY6 games
Rose Bowl 16.6M
Sugar Bowl 9.8M
Fiesta Bowl 8.0M
Peach Bowl 7.6M (Dec. 30th)
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #943 on: January 05, 2022, 08:59:22 AM »
Watt 'bout da Duke Mayo Bowl, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #944 on: January 05, 2022, 09:02:11 AM »

Prove to me it will matter and that a non-SEC team has more than a snowball's chance in hell and I'll bite.

I might argue Clemson generally belongs in the talk with Alabama and Georgia but that's the exception rather than the rule.

Word was over the summer 6 best conference champs. So, that would make a shocking 7-5 Northwestern to win the Big Ten not in the playoff. Over the past 8 years the best high schools players are going to about 6 to 8 schools. Those schools that are in the playoffs. Well, with a bigger playoff. The westcoast kids don't need to go to Alabama or Clemson to be in the playoff. As, the Pac-12 champ will be in the playoff. So, over a course of time recruiting will become more balanced.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 09:04:08 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #945 on: January 05, 2022, 09:03:13 AM »
Watt 'bout da Duke Mayo Bowl, hey?

2.597M
-Bill Walton

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #946 on: January 05, 2022, 10:50:05 AM »
Word was over the summer 6 best conference champs. So, that would make a shocking 7-5 Northwestern to win the Big Ten not in the playoff. Over the past 8 years the best high schools players are going to about 6 to 8 schools. Those schools that are in the playoffs. Well, with a bigger playoff. The westcoast kids don't need to go to Alabama or Clemson to be in the playoff. As, the Pac-12 champ will be in the playoff. So, over a course of time recruiting will become more balanced.

Brother Nielsen:

You can break the NCAA in 2021 down this way:

True Powerhouses -- Teams that are legitimate contenders for a national title:
Alabama
Georgia

Wannabes who think they are powerhouses -- Teams that show up but would be clobbered in a real tournament match-up:
Ohio State
Michigan
Wisconsin
Notre Dame
Clemson
Cincinnati
Oklahoma
Texas A&M
Mississippi

Faded Roses -- Schools that once were football powers but now are nobodies
Florida                          Florida State
LSU                              Miami
USC                              Iowa       
Texas                            Nebraska
Auburn                         Arizona State
Arkansas                      Michigan State
Tennessee
Oregon
Washington

The Blind Pig Finds an Acorn Occasionally -- Everyone Else!!!

Until this changes, I see no reason to expand the College Football Playoffs.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #947 on: January 05, 2022, 10:54:58 AM »
I'm almost fine with your list. You have to add Ohio State & Clemson since they have won national titles in the CFP era. Heck, Clemson won two beating Alabama.

The expanding playoff will still have the SEC on top. Yet, over time recruiting will become more balanced. As a USC fan, I'm sure hoping! ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 10:59:02 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #948 on: January 05, 2022, 11:08:26 AM »
The expanding playoff will still have the SEC on top. Yet, over time recruiting will become more balanced. As a USC fan, I'm sure hoping! ;)

Yeah, isn't this kind of the point?  Narrowing the scope of the end of season tournament is a positive feedback loop with publicity and recruiting.  If that gets expanded, and more logos are in the bracket, on tv, the conference championship games are de facto play-in games, I think it stands to reason that will spread top recruiting talent out more.  By narrowing the playoff to four teams, we're kind of choosing for its scope to be limited to the "prove it will be someone other than Alabama/SEC winner" tournament, and of course that's going to be a recuriting benefit to them to stockpile talent for future years.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #949 on: January 05, 2022, 12:50:34 PM »
I'm almost fine with your list. You have to add Ohio State & Clemson since they have won national titles in the CFP era. Heck, Clemson won two beating Alabama.

Both Ohio State and Clemson have faded substantially. Maybe they'll recover and until they do and show they have some capability to beat Alabama, they fall into Category II.

I get the desire to bring more teams into the playoffs. It's like being one of the first four out in basketball. But the first team out realistically has no chance to win the NCAA tournament and no one but Georgia has a chance to give Alabama a game.

Cripe when Teams 3 and 4 (Michigan and Cincinnati) get blown out, why should the tournament be expanded? Anybody else on the pretenders list would fare no better.