[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 College Football thread  (Read 64798 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2021-22 College Football thread
« Reply #625 on: November 30, 2021, 08:26:16 PM »
So he’s gone from being the best in ND history to better than Bob Davie, Tyrone Willingham and Charlie Weis (big frickin’ deal) but not as good as Rockne, Leahy, Ara, Holtz and maybe Divine. That’s quite a walk back - why not just admit you originally said a dumb thing?

Isn’t walking something back pretty much that?

You’re really argumentative over the most pedantic things.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #626 on: November 30, 2021, 08:26:46 PM »
On the brink implies that something is close to happening. They were never close to a championship. Those games were non-competetive from the get-go.

Finishing second is on the brink.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #627 on: November 30, 2021, 09:06:54 PM »

Isn’t walking something back pretty much that?

You’re really argumentative over the most pedantic things.

You accidentally say funny things every once in a while.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #628 on: November 30, 2021, 09:24:02 PM »
Finishing second is on the brink.

Not when you're down 28-0 in the second quarter.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #629 on: November 30, 2021, 10:32:50 PM »
Not when you're down 28-0 in the second quarter.

It is though. By definition if you are playing in a national championship game you are on the brink of winning a title. If Notre Dame hasn’t been on the brink of a national title under Kelly then there is no “on the brink.” It’s either you’re the champion or you weren’t close.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #630 on: December 01, 2021, 12:08:13 AM »
I am consistently amazed by Scoop's ability to argue over vocabulary
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #631 on: December 01, 2021, 07:07:13 AM »

Is it really "arguing," though? This seemed like more of a debate or dispute or perhaps a kerfuffle over semantics.

"Argue"? Unbelievable. So typical of a Millennial like you, TAMU.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #632 on: December 01, 2021, 07:58:54 AM »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #633 on: December 01, 2021, 11:11:36 AM »

considering Millennials and Gen Z have completely changed the definition of many words it's no surprise people argue over vocabulary. When someone says they "literally died" after a close game then it's appropriate to call out their choice of words (unless they really did rise from the dead, but I don't think Christ is coming back to attend basketball games on the down low).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #634 on: December 01, 2021, 11:17:20 AM »
considering Millennials and Gen Z have completely changed the definition of many words it's no surprise people argue over vocabulary. When someone says they "literally died" after a close game then it's appropriate to call out their choice of words (unless they really did rise from the dead, but I don't think Christ is coming back to attend basketball games on the down low).

For sure those 2 groups are the first in history to change language use

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #635 on: December 01, 2021, 11:22:33 AM »

Dude, just stop. Definitions of words have changed since there was language. Put your hate boner for the young people away.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #636 on: December 01, 2021, 11:22:49 AM »
On the brink is a very generous view of losses by scores of 42-14 (at one point 35-0), 30-3, and 31-14 (at one point 31-7). Not just in playoff games, Kelly's teams rarely were competitive against any top-flight opponents. His Notre Dame teams went 3-10 vs top 10 opponents, and one of those wins was in OT against a Trevor Lawrence-less Clemson.
He did a good job at Notre Dame and, as you said, was their best coach since Holtz. But I wouldn't assume that Brian Kelly hit Notre Dame's ceiling. Maybe he just hit his ceiling.

On the brink implies that something is close to happening. They were never close to a championship. Those games were non-competetive from the get-go.

Thank you, this is what I meant. There might be someone else who could do it at ND, there might not. But my opinion is I don't think Kelly was ever going to be the guy to do it, despite all his success.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #637 on: December 01, 2021, 11:31:50 AM »

Yes, it's only in the last 20 years that the English language has evolved.
This may be literally the dumbest post in Scoop history.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #638 on: December 01, 2021, 12:02:14 PM »
Yes, it's only in the last 20 years that the English language has evolved.
This may be literally the dumbest post in Scoop history.

I blame the media
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #639 on: December 01, 2021, 12:10:22 PM »
Championship Weekend

Friday, Dec. 3
Western Kentucky at UTSA (Conference USA Championship Game in San Antonio, Texas) | 6 p.m. | CBSSN
No. 10 Oregon vs. No. 17 Utah (Pac-12 Championship Game in Las Vegas, Nevada) | 7 p.m. | ABC

Saturday, Dec. 4
No. 9 Baylor vs. No. 5 Oklahoma State (Big 12 Championship Game in Arlington, Texas) | 11a.m. | ABC
Kent State vs. Northern Illinois (MAC Championship Game in Detroit, Michigan) | 11 a.m. | ESPN
Utah State vs. No. 19 San Diego Sate (Mountain West Championship Game in Carson, California) | 2 p.m. | FOX
Appalachian State at No. 24 Louisiana (Sun Belt Championship Game) | 2:30 p.m. | ESPN
No. 1 Georgia vs. No. 3 Alabama (SEC Championship Game in Atlanta, Georgia) | 3 p.m. | CBS
No. 21 Houston at No. 4 Cincinnati (AAC Championship Game) | 3 p.m. | ABC
No. 15 Pitt vs. No. 16 Wake Forest (ACC Championship Game in Charlotte, North Carolina) | 7 p.m. | ABC
No. 2 Michigan vs. No. 13 Iowa (Big Ten Championship Game in Indianapolis, Indiana) | 7 p.m. | FOX
USC at Cal | 10 p.m. | FS1
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #640 on: December 01, 2021, 01:21:12 PM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #641 on: December 01, 2021, 01:24:13 PM »
Brother Hards:

LSU pays more, yes.

But look at what you're up against. Georgia and Alabama are two of the top teams in the nation.

Florida, Mississippi, Texas A&M, Auburn, Arkansas, LSU, Tennessee and soon, Oklahoma and Texas, are traditional powers that had varying degrees of success in the past 20 years.

Which leaves Mississippi State, Missouri, Kentucky, South Carolina and Vanderbilt as the only soft parts of the conference

You're effectively fighting a war every week against the nation's very best football teams with a fan base that will cut you at the knees if you lose a single game. At Notre Dame, one and maybe even two losses might get you to the playoffs.

Look, everybody says money, but somehow I'd bet Notre Dame could match LSU. It's about Nattys and, sorry Domers, the look of this job change is you can, maybe, win a natty at LSU. You aren't likely to do so at Notre Dame. At day's end, I gotta believe that's the ONLY reason Kelly moved.

Then I think we generally agree.

The problem with ND (and Indiana basketball) is that they're constantly looking backwards.  And they think that the rest of college football cares.  Their fans are delusional the same way Celtics fans were in the mid 90s.  The sport changed and left them behind and they haven't figured out that they're not the top dog anymore.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #642 on: December 01, 2021, 01:27:09 PM »
I haven't seen Iowa play 30 seconds of football this season. How likely is it they actually beat Michigan?

Michigan played at a very high level vs. Ohio State. We'll see how good Coach Harbaugh is at getting his team to avoid a letdown. There's so much on the line that it seems impossible they'd have a letdown, but who knows?

• All American
« Reply #643 on: December 01, 2021, 01:35:33 PM »
I don't think it is terribly likely that Iowa wins, but Iowa mucks up games by running the ball well while preventing the other team from doing so.  If Iowa wins, they will win ugly.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #644 on: December 01, 2021, 01:51:48 PM »
I don't think it is terribly likely that Iowa wins, but Iowa mucks up games by running the ball well while preventing the other team from doing so.  If Iowa wins, they will win ugly.

I dont disagree.  But Michigan's strength matches up with Iowa's pretty well.  I don't know how Iowa scores cause their offense is horrid and Michigan's D is tough.  It won't be shootout in any case.

Oregon-Utah is a great revenge game for the Ducks.
OK St-Baylor is similarly fueled and very promising.
And obviously the SEC championship will be something else.

Could be the lamest ACC championship featuring ranked teams maybe ever

• All American
« Reply #645 on: December 01, 2021, 02:12:22 PM »
I dont disagree.  But Michigan's strength matches up with Iowa's pretty well.  I don't know how Iowa scores cause their offense is horrid and Michigan's D is tough.  It won't be shootout in any case.

Wait, are you saying you're not enthralled by Pitt v. Wake?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #646 on: December 01, 2021, 03:15:18 PM »

Wait, are you saying you're not enthralled by Pitt v. Wake?

Actually if you changed the names of these schools, say FSU vs UNC most would be singing a different tune.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #647 on: December 01, 2021, 03:31:48 PM »

Thanks for your info on Iowa. (You too, FBM.)

I'll be keeping an eye on Okla St vs Baylor during time-outs in Marquette's victory over Madison, and I'll definitely watch Georgia-Bama. My wife and I have plans Sat night so I'll have to catch the highlights of Michigan-Iowa. If it's as big a slog as you say, I won't miss much!

I don't care about the Pac-12 and ACC games because there are no national implications. I guess I'm mildly interested in the ACC game because I've seen the Pitt QB's name linked to the Panthers in a few early mock drafts.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #648 on: December 01, 2021, 03:37:20 PM »
Actually if you changed the names of these schools, say FSU vs UNC most would be singing a different tune.

Its less about the schools not being "prestigious" football names and more that neither are all that great.  Wake is a nice story and they have a really fun offense, but they are pretty meh and have no wins of note and got whomped by a down year Clemson.  Pitt is the same including a loss to a really mediocre MAC team.  The ACC just stinks out loud this year.

• All American
« Reply #649 on: December 01, 2021, 03:40:36 PM »

At least the stadium would be more than half full with those two schools.