collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 College Football thread  (Read 63458 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: 2021-22 College Football thread
« Reply #575 on: November 30, 2021, 08:25:25 AM »
I will also say that this might be the most important hire in ND's history.  With the money being thrown around now, expansion of the playoffs and the consolidation that is continuing to happen into a few conferences, I think ND is going to find it harder and harder to stay independent UNLESS they continue to win.  And the ACC might not be the landing spot ND thought it could be 5-10 years ago.

Put it this way, Kelly is the best coach in their history, won a ton of games and made the playoffs twice, yet at best simply maintained their relevance on the national stage. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #576 on: November 30, 2021, 08:48:25 AM »
Put it this way, Kelly is the best coach in their history, won a ton of games and made the playoffs twice, yet at best simply maintained their relevance on the national stage.

No.
ND's highest ranking in the final AP poll under Kelly was 4th. They finished unranked more often (four times) than they finished in the top 10 (three times). His record in major bowl games (playoffs or Jan. 1 group) is 0-4, losing by 28, 16, 27 and 17 points in those games. His winning percentage at ND is .739.

Let's compare him with Ara Parseghian. Four finishes in the AP top 3, including two national titles. 3-2 record in major bowl games. Two undefeated seasons. Zero seasons unranked. Nine seasons ranked in the top 10. Winning percentage at ND of .836.

Really, it's not close.
Other coaches with titles and better win percentages at ND: Dan Devine, Lou Holtz, Frank Leahy, Knute Rockne*.

* = pre AP final poll

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #577 on: November 30, 2021, 08:51:24 AM »
Ara last coached in 1974.  A completely different era of college football.  But I can amend my statement to say the best coach since Holtz or the best coach of the BCS / Playoff era.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #578 on: November 30, 2021, 08:54:36 AM »
Ara last coached in 1974.  A completely different era of college football.  But I can amend my statement to say the best coach since Holtz or the best coach of the BCS / Playoff era.

That's fine. Not exactly a murderer's row of coaching hires post-Holtz.
But when talking about best coach in a program's history, you can't punish/dismiss a coach because he coached in a different era. You can only coach during the era in which you're living.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #579 on: November 30, 2021, 09:11:05 AM »
VaTech reportedly hiring Penn State DC Brent Pry.
Didn't see that coming. Guess they love guys named Brent in Blacksburg.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #580 on: November 30, 2021, 09:18:24 AM »
I’m absolutely stunned that:

1) Notre Dame would somehow let someone with the success of Brian Kelly get away.

2) That Coach Kelly would somehow think LSU is a better situation than Notre Dame. It ain’t!

Look, winning in the SEC may mean more, but Kelly would be working for a fan base more entitled than Domers, with less reason to be so. If he thinks the Domers have high expectations, wait until he meets the Cajuns. They make Domer fans look disinterested.

If Coach O can’t make it at LSU, nobody can.

You're living in the same fantasy world as a lot of ND fans.  LSU is a better job, plus he's getting paid.

ND and Indiana (basketball) think they're more important than they currently are.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #581 on: November 30, 2021, 09:19:44 AM »
I will also say that this might be the most important hire in ND's history.  With the money being thrown around now, expansion of the playoffs and the consolidation that is continuing to happen into a few conferences, I think ND is going to find it harder and harder to stay independent UNLESS they continue to win.  And the ACC might not be the landing spot ND thought it could be 5-10 years ago.

Every time ND goes on a coaching search, it seems at the time like it's their most important hire ever ... but I do get what you're saying by framing it in the current situation in college football.

But couldn't expanded playoffs actually reinforce ND staying independent, especially if it goes to 16 teams? It's hard to imagine a 1-loss or even 2-loss ND team not going to the playoffs most years in a 16-team format, and a 1-loss ND team in an 8-team format also would figure to get in most years; this year's ND team is meh and it would have easily been included in an 8-team playoff.

And thanks for amending your statement about Kelly being ND's best coach ever ... because I'd say it's difficult bordering on impossible to argue that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #582 on: November 30, 2021, 09:20:51 AM »
That's fine. Not exactly a murderer's row of coaching hires post-Holtz.
But when talking about best coach in a program's history, you can't punish/dismiss a coach because he coached in a different era. You can only coach during the era in which you're living.

We are talking opinions here, so I can most definitely dismiss a coaches performance because he coached in a different era.  You may not agree and that's fine.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #583 on: November 30, 2021, 09:22:23 AM »
Every time ND goes on a coaching search, it seems at the time like it's their most important hire ever ... but I do get what you're saying by framing it in the current situation in college football.

But couldn't expanded playoffs actually reinforce ND staying independent, especially if it goes to 16 teams? It's hard to imagine a 1-loss or even 2-loss ND team not going to the playoffs most years in a 16-team format, and a 1-loss ND team in an 8-team format also would figure to get in most years; this year's ND team is meh and it would have easily been included in an 8-team playoff.

And thanks for amending your statement about Kelly being ND's best coach ever ... because I'd say it's difficult bordering on impossible to argue that.

The problem with an expanded playoff to 12 teams is that sure, ND may have an easier chance to get in, but it also means that the bowls become an even less of a consolation prize.  Win and they are fine.  Don't win, and they are stuck at the Pinstripe Bowl.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #584 on: November 30, 2021, 09:27:54 AM »

We are talking opinions here, so I can most definitely dismiss a coaches performance because he coached in a different era.  You may not agree and that's fine.

Sure, and I can have the opinion that Tom Crean is the best coach in Marquette basketball history, and Al McGuire doesn't really count because different era.
But, as with Kelly being the best football coach in ND history, the objective facts - wins, rankings, titles - don't support the opinion.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #585 on: November 30, 2021, 09:51:51 AM »

The problem with an expanded playoff to 12 teams is that sure, ND may have an easier chance to get in, but it also means that the bowls become an even less of a consolation prize.  Win and they are fine.  Don't win, and they are stuck at the Pinstripe Bowl.

OK.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #586 on: November 30, 2021, 10:24:07 AM »

What's the logic on a 12 team playoff vs 16? I've read about the 12 team playoff a bunch and don't understand why they wouldn't just go to 16.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #587 on: November 30, 2021, 10:25:20 AM »
What's the logic on a 12 team playoff vs 16? I've read about the 12 team playoff a bunch and don't understand why they wouldn't just go to 16.

Because the Rose Bowl is the granddaddy
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #588 on: November 30, 2021, 10:35:22 AM »

I like 12 better. 16 waters crap down. Give the top four byes.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #589 on: November 30, 2021, 10:49:03 AM »
Because the Rose Bowl is the granddaddy
How does this impact 12 vs 16?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #590 on: November 30, 2021, 10:51:25 AM »
How does this impact 12 vs 16?

Gotta have the Rose Bowl mean something
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #591 on: November 30, 2021, 10:53:37 AM »
I like 12 better. 16 waters crap down. Give the top four byes.
Is there really much of difference between the #12 and #16 team? If you're concerned about watering it down, why not go with an 8 team playoff?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #592 on: November 30, 2021, 10:55:31 AM »
Gotta have the Rose Bowl mean something
I understand that premise (which is absurd how much pull the Rose Bowl has in NCAA football), but does 12 vs 16 really fix that?  It'll become a more irrelevant consolation either way.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #593 on: November 30, 2021, 11:03:07 AM »
Is there really much of difference between the #12 and #16 team? If you're concerned about watering it down, why not go with an 8 team playoff?
12 is better than 8.
Top 6 conference champs, 6 at large.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #594 on: November 30, 2021, 11:08:02 AM »
I understand that premise (which is absurd how much pull the Rose Bowl has in NCAA football), but does 12 vs 16 really fix that?  It'll become a more irrelevant consolation either way.

The Big 14 and Pac-12 went decades fighting a playoff because Rose Bowl.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #595 on: November 30, 2021, 11:08:55 AM »
Just for kicks, I looked up what Charlie Weis was up to (not much). But I saw that ND signed him, in 2004, to a $2 million per year contract. Less than 20 years later, there are assistants making that much or more.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #596 on: November 30, 2021, 11:11:18 AM »
The Big 14 and Pac-12 went decades fighting a playoff because Rose Bowl.
Understood.  Expanded playoffs will essentially make remaining bowl games the equivalent of the NIT...which is fine.  But that's also why I'd go with 16 teams.  First of all it's two more playoff games and more money, but it also keeps more schools in the hunt.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #597 on: November 30, 2021, 11:22:44 AM »
Just for kicks, I looked up what Charlie Weis was up to (not much). But I saw that ND signed him, in 2004, to a $2 million per year contract. Less than 20 years later, there are assistants making that much or more.

But paying players, or even allowing them to earn money off their likeness, will bankrupt college sports.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #598 on: November 30, 2021, 11:55:45 AM »

Because TV isn't going to televise 8 games on the first Saturday.  They would likely stagger four games on consecutive Saturdays, to bring 12 down to 8 and 8 down to 4, to maximize TV impact.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #599 on: November 30, 2021, 12:02:19 PM »

Because TV isn't going to televise 8 games on the first Saturday.  They would likely stagger four games on consecutive Saturdays, to bring 12 down to 8 and 8 down to 4, to maximize TV impact.
Got it, this makes sense.  Although 8 games on Saturday would be awesome.