collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 College Football thread  (Read 64460 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: 2021-22 College Football thread
« Reply #350 on: October 18, 2021, 01:20:21 PM »

Wisconsin will hire Jim Leonhard if Chryst is fired.

Do you sense that Chryst's seat is warm?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #351 on: October 18, 2021, 01:30:00 PM »

Not even lukewarm.  If the media starts writing anything remotely negative about him, that’s how you’ll know his seat is warm.  They haven’t yet, so the athletic department is ok with him right now or they’d have Potrykus asking “tough” questions
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

MU82

• All American
« Reply #352 on: October 18, 2021, 02:32:31 PM »
As Peyton Manning said in one of the Manning-casts, halftime adjustments aren’t a real thing

Right. I've heard the same from Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason.
You can't spend 40-50 hours over a week preparing and implementing a game plan, then change it over 10 minutes in the locker room.

I understand, and I've heard this many times over the years, since before Peyton was starring at Tennessee. And yet, some teams routinely come out guns blazing in the second half while others routinely get out-played.

I didn't mean to suggest there was an entire game-plan change at halftime. But I am quite certain that adjustments are made, from minor tweaks to blocking assignments changed to larger emphasis on certain things that a coach believes will work in the second half.

I know that coincidences exist ... but still ... it's quite a coincidence that the Panthers' offense has gotten dominated by opposing defenses in third quarters 6 out of 6 times this season, and also more often than not last season. Hasn't mattered if the opponent was good or bad, if McCaffrey was in the lineup or not, if it was Darnold or Bridgewater at QB, etc.

When you score 7 points in a half-dozen third quarters over the course of the first third of a season, sorry, but the offensive coordinator has to get at least some blame.

BTW, that doesn't mean Brady won't be the most brilliant head coach in history. We'll see if and when some college or pro team hires him for that position.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #353 on: October 18, 2021, 02:43:27 PM »
I understand, and I've heard this many times over the years, since before Peyton was starring at Tennessee. And yet, some teams routinely come out guns blazing in the second half while others routinely get out-played.

I didn't mean to suggest there was an entire game-plan change at halftime. But I am quite certain that adjustments are made, from minor tweaks to blocking assignments changed to larger emphasis on certain things that a coach believes will work in the second half.

I know that coincidences exist ... but still ... it's quite a coincidence that the Panthers' offense has gotten dominated by opposing defenses in third quarters 6 out of 6 times this season, and also more often than not last season. Hasn't mattered if the opponent was good or bad, if McCaffrey was in the lineup or not, if it was Darnold or Bridgewater at QB, etc.

When you score 7 points in a half-dozen third quarters over the course of the first third of a season, sorry, but the offensive coordinator has to get at least some blame.

BTW, that doesn't mean Brady won't be the most brilliant head coach in history. We'll see if and when some college or pro team hires him for that position.

Sam Darnold might not be good
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

MU82

• All American
« Reply #354 on: October 18, 2021, 02:52:05 PM »
Sam Darnold might not be good

Absolutely possible. When the Panthers were 3-0 and some were talking about him as an MVP candidate, I just kept saying let's see what happens when we play teams better than the Jets and Texans.

Darnold totally sucked most of yesterday, although his two "star" receivers combined to drop 6 passes and lose a fumble, and the Panthers' OL is quite Swiss-cheesy.

Despite that, Darnold's generally been pretty good in the first half of games and pretty bad in the third quarters. Just as Bridgewater so often was last season. Must be something in the water, because Peyton Manning says part of it can't possibly be the opposing coaching staffs out-gameplanning Carolina's. Not even one iota.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #355 on: October 18, 2021, 03:09:27 PM »

Not yet.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #356 on: October 18, 2021, 03:30:25 PM »
Absolutely possible. When the Panthers were 3-0 and some were talking about him as an MVP candidate, I just kept saying let's see what happens when we play teams better than the Jets and Texans.

Darnold totally sucked most of yesterday, although his two "star" receivers combined to drop 6 passes and lose a fumble, and the Panthers' OL is quite Swiss-cheesy.

Despite that, Darnold's generally been pretty good in the first half of games and pretty bad in the third quarters. Just as Bridgewater so often was last season. Must be something in the water, because Peyton Manning says part of it can't possibly be the opposing coaching staffs out-gameplanning Carolina's. Not even one iota.

As a Panthers fan, you are probably inundated by the "call DeShawn Watson" takes. I've seen it on CBSsports.com and heard it on Dan Patrick this morning. Your thoughts on that? It seems like it wouldn't save the season as he'd be suspended at least 6 games, it not more. Is there a fix out there? Maybe Jimmy G? Is Cam an option to come back to Charlotte, if the consensus is Darnold is not the answer?

I'd like to see the Lions bring in Cam. He can't be worse than Goff, can he?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #357 on: October 18, 2021, 03:38:09 PM »
To borrow from the Lions coach, they don't know what they have in Goff.    The line is beat up and they have the worst WR's in the league.     So there will be no benching of Goff.     If the Lions wanted to sign Cam or CK, I am on board with that.     But why would they want to come to the Lions.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #358 on: October 18, 2021, 03:56:13 PM »
To borrow from the Lions coach, they don't know what they have in Goff.    The line is beat up and they have the worst WR's in the league.     So there will be no benching of Goff.     If the Lions wanted to sign Cam or CK, I am on board with that.     But why would they want to come to the Lions.

Beyond that, Cam's not the guy you bring in during a rebuild. What would be the point? Goff may or may not have a future with the Lions, but Cam definitely wouldn't.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #359 on: October 18, 2021, 04:08:32 PM »
As a Panthers fan, you are probably inundated by the "call DeShawn Watson" takes. I've seen it on CBSsports.com and heard it on Dan Patrick this morning. Your thoughts on that? It seems like it wouldn't save the season as he'd be suspended at least 6 games, it not more. Is there a fix out there? Maybe Jimmy G? Is Cam an option to come back to Charlotte, if the consensus is Darnold is not the answer?

I do not believe Darnold is the worst of the Panthers' problems. When he has had time and when his receivers have caught the football, he's been OK, even very good sometimes. He has made mistakes and gone through rough stretches, but so have most QBs.

If I thought getting Watson wouldn't cost too much in terms of future capital, and if I thought his personal situation would be resolved fairly easily, sure, he's a hell of a QB for next season and beyond. But I think it would cost too much, and I doubt his situation will be resolved easily from here (nor should it be), so I don't have interest in him at least until there's new information.

Cam isn't an option; that door was shut hard by the current powers-that-be. Garoppolo? I don't know. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that it's highly, highly, highly unlikely that some QB from the outside the organization is going to come in halfway through to "save" the season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #360 on: October 18, 2021, 04:44:19 PM »
This will be my last post here in the college football thread about this, because it really belongs in the NFL thread ... but Rhule just said that the offense would change immediately to put more emphasis on the running game. He again criticized "the coaching," but said Brady, who made his reputation with LSU's passing offense under Burrow, was on board. “Me and Joe are great,” Rhule said. “Let me say that first.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article255095552.html#storylink=cpy

The only reason I posted any of this here at all was because of the many Brady mentions. So far, he hasn't proven squat in the NFL, seriously. Doesn't mean he's bad, or that he'll be a bad college or pro HC some day. It's just a fact that he's done nothing close to special as a pro OC.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #361 on: October 18, 2021, 04:57:29 PM »
Is football that complicated? Brady and Rodgers are checking off on every play. Buddy Ryan used to adjust on the field after the first possession.

I guess maybe the definition of game plan is the disconnect. A good game plan should have matchup contingencies. Bill Walsh used to script the first 20 plays and then went with the game flow.

Many of these head coaches aren't the brightest bulbs, and maybe that includes a few ex-QBs now media types.

WORD.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #362 on: October 18, 2021, 06:42:27 PM »
Nick Rolovich was officially fired (for cause) at Washington State for refusing to get vaccinated. Media reporting some assistants also fired.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #363 on: October 18, 2021, 07:08:52 PM »
Nick Rolovich was officially fired (for cause) at Washington State for refusing to get vaccinated. Media reporting some assistants also fired.

Not to turn this into the COVID board, but I'm genuinely curious about what guys like him are thinking. He's walking away from a $3.2 million-a-year gig, and perhaps any hopes of coaching major college football again. All to avoid a shot that's been given to literally billions of people around the world without turning them into magnetic zombies.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #364 on: October 18, 2021, 07:42:27 PM »
Not to turn this into the COVID board, but I'm genuinely curious about what guys like him are thinking. He's walking away from a $3.2 million-a-year gig, and perhaps any hopes of coaching major college football again. All to avoid a shot that's been given to literally billions of people around the world without turning them into magnetic zombies.

To walk away from $3.2 million a year over a shot Rolovich must be single.

A coworker is a Coug grad and his reaction was "what an idiot. F--k him and his stupidity." Even a good friend of mine who is a right winger and super loyal Coug grad (he's known as "Cougar Al" and is has nothing to do with dating) is ripping the guy. I've got coworkers who are opposed to mandates but still took the shot to keep their jobs that won't pay $3.2 million in a decade, let alone a year.

Holiday Inn Express lawyers on Twitter are saying "he'll make more in the lawsuit." WSU would have had lawyers going over that contract with a fine toothed comb before making this decision and insured they will owe him nothing. 

Maybe Freeze will take a bigger job and Rolovich can go coach at Liberty next year.

quick edit:  This is a quote from the Cougs' starting QB, who originally signed with Rolovich at Hawaii:  Wazzu QB de Laura: "Words cannot express our profound sadness and disappointment in the termination of our Coach, Nick Rolovich. Playing for him was a great honor that all of us will cherish forever. He put trust in me and allowed me to grow as a man both on and off the field.

This is a season that could go off the rails very, very quickly. BYU visits Pullman this weekend.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 11:50:41 AM by Billy Hoyle »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #365 on: October 20, 2021, 07:37:10 PM »
Now the whiny, snowflake is suing the AD at the school for being vindictive in firing him - even though he refused to comply with a mandate by the state that required all state employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

So, somehow he has reasoned that it was because the AD was out to get him. These people are beyond stupid.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #366 on: October 20, 2021, 10:54:34 PM »
He claims he was entitled to a religious exemption because of his faith as a Catholic—who have been encouraged to get the vaccine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• All American
« Reply #367 on: October 21, 2021, 11:50:55 AM »
Now the whiny, snowflake is suing the AD at the school for being vindictive in firing him - even though he refused to comply with a mandate by the state that required all state employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

So, somehow he has reasoned that it was because the AD was out to get him. These people are beyond stupid.

First of all, he hasn't sued anyone.  His attorney said that he "plans to take legal action."

Second, the issue isn't whether or not he can be fired.  It's whether or not he can be fired for cause and not be paid anything.  (He would be due 60% of his compensation should he be fired otherwise.)  Most state employees are "at will" and can simply be let go.  But he is a contracted employee with specific criteria for "for cause" firings, timely notification and mediation for dispute resolution.

This statement was just a shot across the bow and completely expected.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #368 on: October 21, 2021, 07:59:40 PM »

First of all, he hasn't sued anyone.  His attorney said that he "plans to take legal action."

Second, the issue isn't whether or not he can be fired.  It's whether or not he can be fired for cause and not be paid anything.  (He would be due 60% of his compensation should he be fired otherwise.)  Most state employees are "at will" and can simply be let go.  But he is a contracted employee with specific criteria for "for cause" firings, timely notification and mediation for dispute resolution.

This statement was just a shot across the bow and completely expected.

Hmmm….

His attorney said today that the coach was fired solely for being a devout Catholic.

• All American
« Reply #369 on: October 22, 2021, 05:15:27 AM »
Attorneys always say things.  It's what they actually do that's important.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #370 on: October 22, 2021, 10:41:03 PM »
Saturday, Oct. 23 Top 25 Games

Illinois at No. 7 Penn State | 11a.m. | ABC
Northwestern at No. 6 Michigan | 11a.m. | FOX
No. 3 Oklahoma at Kansas | 11a.m. | ESPN
No. 2 Cincinnati at Navy | 11a.m. | ESPN2
No. 16 Wake Forest at Army | 11a.m. | CBSSN

Wisconsin at No. 25 Purdue | 2 p.m. | BTN
LSU at No. 12 Ole Miss | 2:30 p.m. | CBS
Clemson at No. 23 Pitt | 2:30 p.m. | ESPN
No. 8 Oklahoma State at Iowa State | 2:30 p.m. | FOX
No. 10 Oregon at UCLA | 2:30 p.m. | ABC

Tennessee at No. 4 Alabama | 6 p.m. | ESPN
No. 22 San Diego State at Air Force | 6 p.m. | CBSSN
USC at No. 13 Notre Dame | 6:30 p.m. | NBC
No. 5 Ohio State at Indiana | 6:30 p.m. | ABC
South Carolina at No. 17 Texas A&M | 6:30 p.m. | SEC Network
No. 18 NC State at Miami | 6:30 p.m. | ESPN2
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #371 on: October 23, 2021, 10:11:36 AM »
Wisconsin favored on the road against Purdue. I just don’t get it.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #372 on: October 23, 2021, 10:18:46 AM »
Wisconsin favored on the road against Purdue. I just don’t get it.

Yeah isn’t a generous reading of WI that they are Iowa but worse?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #373 on: October 23, 2021, 10:23:35 AM »
Yeah isn’t a generous reading of WI that they are Iowa but worse?

Ever see a team that used to have an identity?  That's Wisconsin football.

I expect that Paul Chryst doesn't make it two more years in Madison.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #374 on: October 23, 2021, 11:44:18 AM »
The running back from Michigan , Haskins, pushed the pile for 19 yards , incredible effort
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire