[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2021-22 College Football thread  (Read 63462 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: 2021-22 College Football thread
« Reply #325 on: October 16, 2021, 01:03:32 PM »
Will 3rd ranked Cincinnati make the college football playoff? They are blowing out UCF today.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #326 on: October 16, 2021, 01:19:39 PM »
Will 3rd ranked Cincinnati make the college football playoff? They are blowing out UCF today.

Yes.  Provided they don't slip up.  They did what they need to.  They get SMU at home, which could be another battle of unbeatens against a top 20 team, but they are significantly better than SMU.  I also don't think Iowa finishes the year unbeaten, much less wins the B10 champ game.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #327 on: October 16, 2021, 02:22:59 PM »
Florida/LSU tied at 42.

Auburn with a big road win at Arkansas.

Oklahoma State with a big comeback at Texas.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #328 on: October 16, 2021, 05:48:40 PM »
Welp my Iowa prediction happened much quicker than I expected. That offense is putrid.

That LSU game was fantastic entertainment.  Coach O saving himself for now

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #329 on: October 17, 2021, 11:59:11 AM »
Welp my Iowa prediction happened much quicker than I expected. That offense is putrid.

I thought Purdue Football's Tweet after the game was funny. What good is Twitter if not for talking a little trash? I love it when "official" twitter accounts get a little snarky.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #330 on: October 17, 2021, 02:01:42 PM »
Jackson State had 53,575 in attendance for their homecoming game against Alabama State . Deion Sanders doing a very good job coaching the Tigers. His freshman son Shedeur is having a very nice season .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #331 on: October 17, 2021, 02:33:45 PM »
Coach O out at LSU, except they're letting him coach the rest of the season. Very weird.
Maybe they have a replacement (Joe Brady?) already lined up.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #332 on: October 17, 2021, 02:40:51 PM »
Coach O out at LSU, except they're letting him coach the rest of the season. Very weird.

Couple rumors about girlfriends and trying to pick up the wife of an administrator at a gas station.

And that Cooper Manning let it be known that his kid wouldn’t go to LSU if O was there.

Keeping him on is dumb.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #333 on: October 17, 2021, 02:41:20 PM »

Odd timing considering their performance yesterday.  But I guess it was inevitable.

Speaking of SEC, love him or hate him, gotta give Kiffin credit.  He took over a team that had won 3 conference games in 2 years under Matt Luke and turned them into a top 10 team and made Matt Corrall into a star.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #334 on: October 17, 2021, 03:01:29 PM »
Couple rumors about girlfriends and trying to pick up the wife of an administrator at a gas station.

And that Cooper Manning let it be known that his kid wouldn’t go to LSU if O was there.

Keeping him on is dumb.

Mel Tucker is a popular choice
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #335 on: October 17, 2021, 03:10:44 PM »

Another former assistant for Saban to beat every year.
(And yes, I realize that there's a one-time exception).

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #336 on: October 17, 2021, 03:32:04 PM »

I feel like there are gonna be better options for a marquee job like that.  Tucker is having a real nice year but he’s career has been less than illustrious so far.

Joe Brady will come up. I could see Dave Aranda being mentioned.  Fickell is gonna jump at one of these top jobs eventually

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #337 on: October 17, 2021, 03:38:34 PM »
I feel like there are gonna be better options for a marquee job like that.  Tucker is having a real nice year but he’s career has been less than illustrious so far.

Joe Brady will come up. I could see Dave Aranda being mentioned.  Fickell is gonna jump at one of these top jobs eventually

I think Fickell will be at USC.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #338 on: October 17, 2021, 06:40:15 PM »

Maybe.  I just don’t think Brady is coming back to college
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #339 on: October 17, 2021, 10:02:27 PM »
I think Fickell will be at USC.

I think Fickell wants to stay in the Midwest. Wisconsin could open up sooner than later. Nebraska or Iowa too (maybe after this season). Or, he sees he has a good thing with Cincy going to the Big 12. Life long Midwesterner, 6 kids, LA may not be his scene.

LSU will throw everything at Jimbo Fisher. Maybe TAMU can confirm, but I thought I read he has no buyout if he leaves (but a massive one if he stays and is later fired).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #340 on: October 17, 2021, 10:12:10 PM »
Maybe.  I just don’t think Brady is coming back to college

LSU is welcome to him!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #341 on: October 18, 2021, 06:44:05 AM »
I think Fickell wants to stay in the Midwest. Wisconsin could open up sooner than later. Nebraska or Iowa too (maybe after this season). Or, he sees he has a good thing with Cincy going to the Big 12. Life long Midwesterner, 6 kids, LA may not be his scene.

LSU will throw everything at Jimbo Fisher. Maybe TAMU can confirm, but I thought I read he has no buyout if he leaves (but a massive one if he stays and is later fired).

Wisconsin will hire Jim Leonhard if Chryst is fired.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #342 on: October 18, 2021, 07:34:08 AM »

Wisconsin will hire Jim Leonhard if Chryst is fired.

And I’m not sure how quick Fickell jumps.  His star is brightest now but the word around him has always been Ohio State or Notre Dame. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #343 on: October 18, 2021, 07:53:55 AM »
And I’m not sure how quick Fickell jumps.  His star is brightest now but the word around him has always been Ohio State or Notre Dame. 

But he's not getting either of those soon, and a move to SC (or elsewhere) doesn't preclude a move to OSU or ND down the line. 

If you don't move when your star is the brightest, you may never get the chance.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #344 on: October 18, 2021, 08:03:27 AM »

But he's not getting either of those soon, and a move to SC (or elsewhere) doesn't preclude a move to OSU or ND down the line. 

If you don't move when your star is the brightest, you may never get the chance.

I don’t disagree with that thought.  I’m curious how long Brian Kelly stays at Notre Dame, however

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #345 on: October 18, 2021, 09:04:09 AM »
Fickell's wife was one of the driving factors in him staying at OSU as long as he did.  She loved being one of the OSU elite's socially and their ties to OSU are strong.

But I agree he's not getting one of those 2 anytime soon.  He needs to level up sooner rather than later.  I understand why he didn't take MSU, but one of these strong jobs will move the needle.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #346 on: October 18, 2021, 09:49:23 AM »
In 6 games, the Panthers' offense has produced exactly 7 third-quarter points.

The Great Joe Brady has gotten out-adjusted at halftime by the opposing defensive coordinator in every single game.

It's gotten to the point where, 22 games into their regime, Panthers coach Matt Rhule is publicly saying that Brady has to figure out what the offense's "identity" is. Rhule isn't putting all the blame on Brady; he has correctly called out Darnold, the receivers and the line, too. But this isn't the first time he has publicly questioned Brady's play-calling, preparedness and general philosophy.

So again, if LSU comes a-callin', I won't be a-cryin'.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 09:59:43 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #347 on: October 18, 2021, 10:19:16 AM »
In 6 games, the Panthers' offense has produced exactly 7 third-quarter points.

The Great Joe Brady has gotten out-adjusted at halftime by the opposing defensive coordinator in every single game.

It's gotten to the point where, 22 games into their regime, Panthers coach Matt Rhule is publicly saying that Brady has to figure out what the offense's "identity" is. Rhule isn't putting all the blame on Brady; he has correctly called out Darnold, the receivers and the line, too. But this isn't the first time he has publicly questioned Brady's play-calling, preparedness and general philosophy.

So again, if LSU comes a-callin', I won't be a-cryin'.

As Peyton Manning said in one of the Manning-casts, halftime adjustments aren’t a real thing

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #348 on: October 18, 2021, 11:23:05 AM »
As Peyton Manning said in one of the Manning-casts, halftime adjustments aren’t a real thing

Right. I've heard the same from Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason.
You can't spend 40-50 hours over a week preparing and implementing a game plan, then change it over 10 minutes in the locker room.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #349 on: October 18, 2021, 12:55:56 PM »
Right. I've heard the same from Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason.
You can't spend 40-50 hours over a week preparing and implementing a game plan, then change it over 10 minutes in the locker room.

Is football that complicated? Brady and Rodgers are checking off on every play. Buddy Ryan used to adjust on the field after the first possession.

I guess maybe the definition of game plan is the disconnect. A good game plan should have matchup contingencies. Bill Walsh used to script the first 20 plays and then went with the game flow.

Many of these head coaches aren't the brightest bulbs, and maybe that includes a few ex-QBs now media types.

feedback