[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Perfect location for Wales on Wells II  (Read 9398 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Perfect location for Wales on Wells II
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2021, 02:36:13 PM »
http://www.realchilimilwaukee.com/history/

I always remembered Real Chilli on West Wisconsin and as wondering if everyone was referring to the same place.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 02:42:19 PM by muwarrior69 »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2021, 02:40:50 PM »
There was a Suburpia on the same block as the Lanche. Weird sandwiches as they doused them in oil and vinegar.

We were there once when someone rode their Harley inside the shop a la D Day. Funnily enough, it didn't seem odd in the moment.

Wells Street once had character. Now...not so much. I prefer the gritty seamy underbelly of despair and desolation over the gentrified blandness that is now Wells. It personifies the Al vs Wojo dichotomy rather well.

Yep, back then the Campus and the City were indistinguishable. It just all blended together.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2021, 02:41:19 PM »
There was a Suburpia on the same block as the Lanche. Weird sandwiches as they doused them in oil and vinegar.

We were there once when someone rode their Harley inside the shop a la D Day. Funnily enough, it didn't seem odd in the moment.

Wells Street once had character. Now...not so much. I prefer the gritty seamy underbelly of despair and desolation over the gentrified blandness that is now Wells. It personifies the Al vs Wojo dichotomy rather well.

I remember Suburpia moving in next to Kampus Foods in the early 80's.

Sophomore year - Angelo's (loved the "Torpedo Steak Sandwich")

I forgot about those!

I thought the best burger at Wales was the medium cheeseburger that they served on a wheat bun. That was a tasty burger!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2021, 02:45:10 PM »
I remember Suburpia moving in next to Kampus Foods in the early 80's.  I forgot about those!

I thought the best burger at Wales was the medium cheeseburger that they served on a wheat bun. That was a tasty burger!

Talking of burgers there was White Castle on Wisconsin back in the 60s and they were only a nickel if I recall.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2021, 04:36:10 PM »
I believe it was across the street from RC and The Gym. It had a coffee house type feel to it with a stage and some open mic type music. There was a 2nd one across from Schroeder on the SE corner of Wells that MU bought and tore  down to expand Shyt Field, iirc.

You are correct, sir. The Suburpia was west on Wells from JV Grunts (a place I never once set foot in.)

Suburpia did have an open mic stage now that you mention it. In fact, the Bob Dylan of Palatine was on stage singing when the guy rode his Harley in one night.

I remember going in there once during daylight hours for lunch. What I saw in the cold harsh unforgiving sunlight was stomach turning. Without the mask of darkness and the fog of alcohol the inside of Suburpia was The Jungle meets Dante's Inferno. I think even Upton Sinclair would have been revolted.

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2021, 04:41:51 PM »
Talking of burgers there was White Castle on Wisconsin back in the 60s and they were only a nickel if I recall.

White Castle was on History Channel's Food that Made America this past week.

One of the reasons that the stores are all white, and the very name itself, is that the founders wanted a spotless place to eat.  Those days are long gone, based on my Whitey's experiences.   :o :o :o

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2021, 04:45:00 PM »

Are you sure it was a White Castle?? There was a White Tower near the Grand Avenue Mall / Boston Store / Marc Plaza. It was a clear rip-off of White Castle.

Death on call

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2021, 05:15:27 PM »
Are you sure it was a White Castle?? There was a White Tower near the Grand Avenue Mall / Boston Store / Marc Plaza. It was a clear rip-off of White Castle.

Wasn’t White Tower across the street from McDowells?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2021, 05:27:06 PM »

Its more than 50 years ago; you could be right. It was past 16th towards 27th if I remember but as I said it was so long ago.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2021, 08:29:42 PM »
I lived in apartments at 16th & Wisconsin one year and my Dad asked me if there were pool tables in the lobby - that was the Gym bar :).  A friend and I used to go there and have dinner once a week or so and play darts - they had good burgers and fries that weren't too expensive.  We took our parents there for lunch on graduation day between the grad ceremonies and I remember we were each trying to teach our Moms how to play cricket :).

And I realized I got Guiliano's and Angelo's mixed up in my head.  I believe Angelo's was where Sobelman's is now.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2021, 08:40:51 PM »
Yes Angelos was where Sobelmans is now.

And the Gym wasn't at 16th and Wisconsin.  It was on Wells closer to 17th.  Back in the day, the Gym was the Ardmore.  Famous for their import nights and Moosehead on tap.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2021, 09:41:38 PM »

And the Gym wasn't at 16th and Wisconsin.  It was on Wells closer to 17th.  Back in the day, the Gym was the Ardmore.  Famous for their import nights and Moosehead on tap.

It was on Wells at one point but it also was at 16th and Wisconsin - I know that much as I literally lived above it for a year in the Ardmore apartments.  It was in the old Ardmore bar for a bit - from the scoop wiki actually (Caffrey's Pub is there now):

The Gym Bar opened in 19?? at 1613 West Wells St, the current location of Murphy's Irish Pub. In 1993, it moved to first floor of the Ardmore building at 717 North 16th St, which used to house the Ardmore Bar. Finally, in 1998 the Gym Bar closed for good.

https://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/bars/the_gym_bar

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2021, 11:46:03 PM »
It was on Wells at one point but it also was at 16th and Wisconsin - I know that much as I literally lived above it for a year in the Ardmore apartments.  It was in the old Ardmore bar for a bit - from the scoop wiki actually (Caffrey's Pub is there now):

The Gym Bar opened in 19?? at 1613 West Wells St, the current location of Murphy's Irish Pub. In 1993, it moved to first floor of the Ardmore building at 717 North 16th St, which used to house the Ardmore Bar. Finally, in 1998 the Gym Bar closed for good.

https://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/bars/the_gym_bar

The Gym had some phenomenal photos on the wall - Marquette greats in racing stripes and Bumble Bees. My fave was the one of The Dream holding the NIT trophy on his head (Back when the NIT was a real tournament and Al gave the NCAA the finger.)

Goose's family owned The Gym. Hopefully those photos are still around.

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2021, 11:49:53 PM »
Wasn’t White Tower across the street from McDowells?

:)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2021, 12:30:49 AM »
One of Milwaukee's more noble contributions to haute cuisine, besides pickled pig's feet and Tombstone pizzas, is the Friday Fish Fry. Is there anything more compelling than the mystical union of fish, grease, and fire? I think not.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2021, 05:22:59 AM »
The late night run to Speed Queen, and the danger factor made the smoked meat all that much more coveted.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2021, 07:33:41 AM »
Crash

A couple of the original photo's are still around as well as a mounted basketball my Mom made for opening night. Some great memories of a great bar.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2021, 08:19:33 AM »
We occasionally went to the Howard Johnson's downtown on Friday for all-you-can-eat fried clams for around $5.

Two of my friends ate extremely fast - still do, actually - and they used to order their second helping as soon as the first was delivered. One used to tell the server: "I hope you have your track shoes on." We'd never get fewer than 3 servings, and sometimes more. Maybe that's why HoJo's got out of the restaurant business.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2021, 08:32:25 AM »
The late night run to Speed Queen, and the danger factor made the smoked meat all that much more coveted.

Good call.  Btw, Speed Queen is still there for the Scoop Zoomers to enjoy.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2021, 09:23:17 AM »

Freshmen and sophomores across Marquette wailed and gnashed their teeth and tore their clothes when Angelos closed.  When my friends were at Marquette in the mid to late 00s, it was the absolute easiest place to procure libations when not of legal age.  Pretty sure you could have a piece of paper with your name and a stick figure and “I Am 21” written on it and it would pass

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2021, 09:32:04 AM »
Freshmen and sophomores across Marquette wailed and gnashed their teeth and tore their clothes when Angelos closed.  When my friends were at Marquette in the mid to late 00s, it was the absolute easiest place to procure libations when not of legal age.  Pretty sure you could have a piece of paper with your name and a stick figure and “I Am 21” written on it and it would pass

It was this way when I was in school as well.  They'd have a 'bouncer' at the door... which was just a kid who let in who he wanted.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2021, 11:46:53 AM »
Outstanding find, Dr.

I didn't realize they expanded to so many sites, including one in Madison. I pray to God they had the Marquette Special on the menu there.

Personally, I never once had the noodles. That makes no sense to me.

I was also curious what was the link between Green Bay and Chili. Must be the noodles because I wouldn't equate Green Bay with SW cuisine.

Keefe,

We celebrated 50 years of MU basketball with a Tip Off parade down Wisconsin Ave. The photo was taken in December '66. To the left of the float you can see Real Chilli.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2021, 12:15:26 PM »

I was early in the 21 year old drinking age days.  The only places that you couldn't get in back then were the Lanche and O'Donahues.  You could get into the Gym and the Ardmore if you showed up in the afternoon and stayed through the evening OR if you showed up late for a night cap.  Everyone else really didn't check much.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2021, 01:01:46 PM »
Goose's family owned The Gym.

Didn't know that. All I can say is:

Goose, you're welcome. We probably helped put your arse through college!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2021, 01:08:30 PM »
Is this the same family (that owned the Gym Bar) that also owned the liquor store at the 18th and National Pick N Save? (If so I know someone in that family) The family that owned the Gym Bar at MU owned both.