[Today at 02:20:46 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Perfect location for Wales on Wells II  (Read 9448 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Perfect location for Wales on Wells II
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2021, 09:51:33 AM »
How come no one wants to bring back Ziggy’s?

He's dead, and I doubt his place could pass a health inspection nowadays!

He used to stir the ice in your soda with his pinky for cripessakes.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2021, 09:58:30 AM »
Is Cousin's still there? There were many nights at McCormick where we would enter the cafeteria and simply say, "Cousins." Goddam SAGA did more for the Cousins franchise than any amount of advertising. The cheesesteak wasn't bad.

Death on call

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2021, 10:06:45 AM »
Outstanding find, Dr.

I didn't realize they expanded to so many sites, including one in Madison. I pray to God they had the Marquette Special on the menu there.

Personally, I never once had the noodles. That makes no sense to me.

I was also curious what was the link between Green Bay and Chili. Must be the noodles because I wouldn't equate Green Bay with SW cuisine.

Green Bay connection:
http://galleydoor.blogspot.com/2014/09/green-bay-style-chili-johns-real-chili.html?m=1

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2021, 10:17:34 AM »
Whatever happened to Francis, Blondie, Dan Helfer, et al

That crew was as much a part of the MU experience as Horton Roe

Death on call

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2021, 10:26:30 AM »
Is Cousin's still there? There were many nights at McCormick where we would enter the cafeteria and simply say, "Cousins." Goddam SAGA did more for the Cousins franchise than any amount of advertising. The cheesesteak wasn't bad.

Yep. A door or two down from Walgreen's.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2021, 10:29:15 AM »
How come no one wants to bring back Ziggy’s?

Really?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2021, 10:29:52 AM »

When I was in school (late 80s) it was in a place where I think the Al is now.  I believe before it was a Cousins it was something like the Ham & Egger?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2021, 10:31:45 AM »
Remember Blimpies subs?  Those sucked ass.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2021, 10:39:01 AM »
Am I the only one who actually thinks this is a loss to MU? Dog Haus had solid dogs and great cheese curds
I get it, I’m old (Class of ‘99). But it’s not like I’ve never been back to campus, and I had never even heard of the Dog Haus.

I’ve never seen it mentioned on Scoop before this topic.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2021, 10:40:32 AM »
I was bummed Pita Bros didn’t last too long. Not sure if that was a tough location, but their food was really good.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2021, 10:41:37 AM »
Really?

I'm kidding - bunch of overly serious people on here these days.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2021, 10:50:46 AM »

Personally watched Nestor Figueroa choke down three foot long cheesesteaks. Prodigious.

A Man of Many Appetites.

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2021, 10:57:32 AM »
I'm kidding - bunch of overly serious people on here these days.

Can't be too sure when talking about the small breast.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2021, 11:06:29 AM »

Death on call

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2021, 11:18:52 AM »
Hopefully it's replaced with a small business or local chain. Wells has lost all of its personality, even when you compare it to where it was 10 years ago.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2021, 11:25:13 AM »
I get it, I’m old (Class of ‘99). But it’s not like I’ve never been back to campus, and I had never even heard of the Dog Haus.

I’ve never seen it mentioned on Scoop before this topic.

That's actually surprising you hadn't heard of it going back. I mean it'd be packed when I was going there. More so that Jimmy johns, qdoba, open pantry, and real chili. And arguably on the same or moreso than Gyros.

Also can we talk about the lack of quality late night drunk food on campus in general? The fact that I just named two average chains, a place that's closed, and a convenience store is troubling. I think there's a Burger King on Wells now also which isn't helping
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2021, 11:35:28 AM »

When I was in school (late 80s) it was in a place where I think the Al is now.  I believe before it was a Cousins it was something like the Ham & Egger?

Ham & Egger during the 80's was on the NE corner of 12th & Wells according to a pic I came across so your memory is pretty close.  The comment is that it was replaced by Rocky Rococo before the building was eventually demolished.  That's now an empty grass field.  Chick seems to remember it being further east, possibly across I-43 maybe in a prior incarnation. 

What I find so interesting personally is my own inability to visualize campus (and surrounds) back in the day because I've spent so much time on the totally transformed campus in the last 20 years.  I mean, I remember all these places but would be hard pressed to tell you the Wells cross street they were on. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2021, 11:49:05 AM »
Ham & Egger during the 80's was on the NE corner of 12th & Wells according to a pic I came across so your memory is pretty close.  The comment is that it was replaced by Rocky Rococo before the building was eventually demolished.  That's now an empty grass field.  Chick seems to remember it being further east, possibly across I-43 maybe in a prior incarnation. 

What I find so interesting personally is my own inability to visualize campus (and surrounds) back in the day because I've spent so much time on the totally transformed campus in the last 20 years.  I mean, I remember all these places but would be hard pressed to tell you the Wells cross street they were on.

I think Fluffy was thinking of the 2nd Suburpia campus location on the SE corner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2021, 12:06:06 PM »

Yes there was a Cousin's Subs in that area. Not sure when it started or ended. I know a now retired MU Professor that liked to go there once in a while in the 90's. Not sure when it closed or moved. I want to say it was on the North side of Wells towards the East end of Campus somewhere. (i don't believe it was on Wisconsin Ave) It was definitely a Cousin's Subs, and it was walking distance from Marquette.

I remember some other Cousin's Subs locations but none were near Marquette. There was (or is) one on Farwell amd Brady, one near Kopp's in Glendale, on Port Washington Road and Oakland and Locust near UWM. I'm sure many are still around.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 12:08:45 PM by shoothoops »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2021, 12:06:24 PM »

I think Fluffy was thinking of the 2nd Suburpia campus location on the SE corner.

No actually that was the Rocky's.  You are right.

The Cousins was on the north side of Wells perhaps where the parking ramp is now?  It wasn't across 43.  That would have been too long a walk for a sub back in the day.

I know what you mean about the campus of my era fading away.  I have been there enough since then that I have trouble picturing where things were.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2021, 12:25:21 PM »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2021, 12:54:12 PM »
Suburpia

There was a Suburpia on the same block as the Lanche. Weird sandwiches as they doused them in oil and vinegar.

We were there once when someone rode their Harley inside the shop a la D Day. Funnily enough, it didn't seem odd in the moment.

Wells Street once had character. Now...not so much. I prefer the gritty seamy underbelly of despair and desolation over the gentrified blandness that is now Wells. It personifies the Al vs Wojo dichotomy rather well.

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2021, 01:16:52 PM »
https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/2021/04/08/marquette-universitys-dogg-haus-closing-due-covid-19-pandemic/7146663002/

You looking for investors so's you can open Wales II, glow?

Used to love their little tomato and pickle bar so one could dress up one's burgers. Had many a burger there when the McCormick dinner offerings were especially putrid.

Favorite post-sloshing eats:

Freshman year - Real Chili (mix it up good, boys)

Sophomore year - Angelo's (loved the "Torpedo Steak Sandwich")

Junior year - George Webb on 27th and Wells (we lived on 24th and Wells and frequented Harp & Shamrock and Midget Bar)

Senior year - Ham & Egger on 12th and Wells (usually got the "steak" and eggs; I'm sure it was a prime cut)

Went other places too, of course, but those were the staples. Amazing we survived ... especially Webb!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2021, 02:22:42 PM »
There was a Suburpia on the same block as the Lanche. Weird sandwiches as they doused them in oil and vinegar.

We were there once when someone rode their Harley inside the shop a la D Day. Funnily enough, it didn't seem odd in the moment.

Wells Street once had character. Now...not so much. I prefer the gritty seamy underbelly of despair and desolation over the gentrified blandness that is now Wells. It personifies the Al vs Wojo dichotomy rather well.

I believe it was across the street from RC and The Gym. It had a coffee house type feel to it with a stage and some open mic type music. There was a 2nd one across from Schroeder on the SE corner of Wells that MU bought and tore  down to expand Shyt Field, iirc.