[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: TBT 2021  (Read 71183 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: TBT 2021
« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2021, 03:22:12 PM »
To date:  The bloggers have killed Wojo & The Ultimate Warrior. 

Who will they turn on next?
Maybe this Cancel Culture thing is good

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2021, 03:51:54 PM »
To date:  The bloggers have killed Wojo & The Ultimate Warrior.

I prefer to think of it as they paved the way for the Shaka era and restored the nickname a Marquette basketball team had when they won the championship.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2021, 10:00:53 PM »
Interesting to see that people will get outraged that the Marquette team puts a patch on their uniform stating that Black Lives Matter, but hate on “cancel culture” when there’s backlash from the alumni team taking the name and logo of a racist homophobe.
the patch, and Ultimate Warriors both suck
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2021, 10:22:46 PM »
the patch, and Ultimate Warriors both suck
If you think the patch sucked, you have a problem.
Goal is National Championship

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2021, 12:56:16 AM »
Back to the subject... anyone seen a roster yet?
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2021, 09:01:29 AM »
Back to the subject... anyone seen a roster yet?

Mo Charlo
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2021, 09:39:21 AM »
Thankfully they went back to
The TBT / Golden Eagles ...

The whole Ultimate Warrior (s) thing was MORONIC on many levels.  U finally win the Title and then change the name ??

Stupid

U would think Chapman and the others would have known better

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2021, 09:56:36 AM »
Thankfully they went back to
The TBT / Golden Eagles ...

The whole Ultimate Warrior (s) thing was MORONIC on many levels.  U finally win the Title and then change the name ??

Stupid

U would think Chapman and the others would have known better

I actually believe their statement that they were unaware of his non-wrestling past.  I know they could have spent time Googling etc. before making a name change, but it's not like they have a marketing dept. - it's just some guys who have other things going on in their lives who probably had fond childhood memories of a wrestler.  That being said, they definitely made the right decision to chuck the name change. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2021, 10:11:05 AM »
I actually believe their statement that they were unaware of his non-wrestling past.  I know they could have spent time Googling etc. before making a name change, but it's not like they have a marketing dept. - it's just some guys who have other things going on in their lives who probably had fond childhood memories of a wrestler.  That being said, they definitely made the right decision to chuck the name change.

They 100% had no idea and yes a few of them were / are big WWE fans.  They were just trying to do something cool. 

To quote the great Rick Majerus, there are errors of commission and errors of omission.  Be careful in how you scold someone who is trying to do something good and errors.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2021, 10:23:12 AM »
They 100% had no idea and yes a few of them were / are big WWE fans.  They were just trying to do something cool. 

To quote the great Rick Majerus, there are errors of commission and errors of omission.  Be careful in how you scold someone who is trying to do something good and errors.

Yep.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #135 on: May 27, 2021, 11:07:29 AM »

Choosing Ultimate Warrior seems to have been an honest mistake. I think they handled going back correctly after realizing why that part of their decision was poorly conceived.

However, it is worth noting that simply trying to affiliate with the Warriors nickname Marquette has spent 27 years trying to walk away from due to the racism inherent in that name most visible in the 1950s & 60s was also a misstep. There have been multi-million dollar attempts to go back to it by alumni, calls from the fans, and Marquette has not wavered in refusing to affiliate the University with that moniker.

That was also a mistake, and far closer to being one of commission.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2021, 11:21:14 AM »
Glad they made the change. Looking forward to our team challenging for a title again 
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2021, 11:23:38 AM »
TBT just posted about their top questions this year. One of the top ones was "are the golden eagles too old?"

I mean one year after a championship, two year after being Runner Up I feel like that's just a talking point they'll start bringing up every year till it's actually true.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2021, 12:10:51 PM »
glad they changed it back. i was crying. the native community was deeply hurt. my god the sanctimonoiuos ppl on here are cringe. who the hell even cares.was there one person in the world that was offended by the mu tbt team changing the name.why the warrior name has to be racist is beyond me. whatevrr golden eagle or warrior. works for me
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 12:12:33 PM by Johnny B »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2021, 01:55:13 PM »
Hoping they can see fit to take Duane Wilson on this years team, to replace the injured DJO.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

panda

• All American
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2021, 04:21:17 PM »
glad they changed it back. i was crying. the native community was deeply hurt. my god the sanctimonoiuos ppl on here are cringe. who the hell even cares.was there one person in the world that was offended by the mu tbt team changing the name.why the warrior name has to be racist is beyond me. whatevrr golden eagle or warrior. works for me

Nothing wrong with the nickname "Warrior"

Willie Wampum on the other hand....

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2021, 06:03:21 PM »
Nothing wrong with the nickname "Warrior"

Willie Wampum on the other hand....

the big issue for MU was they did not believe the Native American imagery could ever be fully disassociated from the Warrior name. Kids showing up to games in headdresses years later confirmed their beliefs.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2021, 06:24:16 PM »
the big issue for MU was they did not believe the Native American imagery could ever be fully disassociated from the Warrior name. Kids showing up to games in headdresses years later confirmed their beliefs.

Yep
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2021, 06:43:22 PM »
Yep

Nonsense.

I was on the Mascot Committee at MU where we commissioned an artist who drew all sorts of different "warriors" (Roman, tribal, etc) and DiUlio said they were all too "aggressive and violent" lol.  MU, as usual, was totally pathetic in their decision making.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2021, 06:59:20 PM »
Nonsense.

I was on the Mascot Committee at MU where we commissioned an artist who drew all sorts of different "warriors" (Roman, tribal, etc) and DiUlio said they were all too "aggressive and violent" lol.  MU, as usual, was totally pathetic in their decision making.

When was that? Had MU walked away from native imagery in the 1960s, it could've worked. By the 1980s, it was far too late.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2021, 07:01:28 PM »
When was that? Had MU walked away from native imagery in the 1960s, it could've worked. By the 1980s, it was far too late.
its over at this point  damn. lmk when students are wearing head dresses to games again

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2021, 08:05:41 PM »
its over at this point  damn. lmk when students are wearing head dresses to games again

Last I saw was two or three years ago.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2021, 08:07:24 PM »
Nonsense.

So the early 90s?  Too late.  MU should have moved away from it earlier.

And the decision was already made when the committee was put together so they just wasted your time.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #148 on: May 27, 2021, 09:15:08 PM »

There was a controversy in 2007 when MU asked a student to not wear headdresses and our old friend Dr. McAdams, went to bat for the kid and more kids stepped up to wear them to the ESPN prime time televised game against Pitt.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/blog/rogues/headdress2.html

http://mu-warrior.blogspot.com/2007/03/indian-headdresses-at-tomorrows.html

The founder of the group, John Johannes, explains:
In response to the banning of Dan O’Connell’s headdress, lets all wear Indian Headdresses to the PITT Game. They can’t kick us all out, and if they try they will make the university look like an ass! Hell I don’t even know Dan but im on his side! So get all your friends and wear a headdress! Get some construction paper contruction paper and some safety scissors and make your own!
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Viper

• All American
« Reply #149 on: May 27, 2021, 09:22:13 PM »
that was done out of spite. My housemate jr and sr year was the First Warrior. MarquetteMike knows who I’m referring to. The First Warrior wrote a number of correspondence to MU’s admin to keep Warriors. He knew of no Native Americans from the Menomonie...his band...that objected to Warriors and is proud of the Native American depicted in the university seal.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.