'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: TBT 2021  (Read 71131 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: TBT 2021
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2021, 08:23:37 AM »
Any chance that after beating a cancer charity team in the finals last season,  they partnered with Susan G Konen and this is connected to their ultimate warrior campaign?

That would be great and make some more sense. But it looks like that campaign was in 2017. Is it still going? Also, my thought would be they’d announce that at the same time. Especially once starting to get some heat on Twitter.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2021, 08:30:37 AM »
If they are partnering with a cancer charity, that precludes Markus from ever playing
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2021, 08:30:56 AM »
Golden Warriors?

This would've been the best route. Also it's what I genuinely thought MU's mascot was when I was applying because my dad kept saying Warriors but I kept hearing the TV calling us the "Golden" 'somethings'
Maigh Eo for Sam

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2021, 08:44:43 AM »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2021, 08:50:19 AM »
In the logo, just change ULTIMATE to MARQUETTE and tweak the face paint into more of a bird and everything is good.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2021, 08:52:51 AM »
If anyone is really that offended by the new name, then they have two options: 1) not watch or support the team or 2) watch the team as a hypocrite but continue to demand the team changes its name through social media or letter writing campaigns.  Do I agree with what Ultimate Warrior said?  Absolutely not.  Does the team utilizing a log that incorporates his wrestling gimmick automatically speak to my personal views?  Again, no. 

Unfortunately, there will always be tremendously unhappy people that will not be content until everyone around them is as unhappy as they are.  Very unfortunate.

panda

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2021, 08:55:17 AM »
So does this mean Benjamin Martin in the Patriot, was an anti semite all along?!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2021, 08:57:41 AM »
It would seem to me the team needs to put something out that either says

"we wanted to pay homage to the Marquette Warriors name while avoiding the association with the native imagery. We were not aware of his past  statements and do not condone them"

Or

"We chose to focus on the character in spite of his statements"

Or

"We love him and are huge fans and condone his statements"

Basically leaving it be probably isn't the best decision right now.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2021, 08:59:26 AM »
So does this mean Benjamin Martin in the Patriot, was an anti semite all along?!

He wasn't really Mel gibsons character, the character was made by writers and interpreted by Mel. On top of that Mel didn't change his name and try to make Benjamin Martin be who he was in reality.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2021, 09:03:21 AM »
If you have outrage at the Ultimate Warriors name and logo shouldn't you have that same outrage towards the Marquette Warriors name and logo?

Seems like a double standard to say how awful the Ultimate Warriors are yet wear Marquette Warriors t-shirts.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2021, 09:03:50 AM »
Clearly, Joe Chapman and Dan Fitzgerald are racists.

Or they're dorky wrestling fans
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2021, 09:04:32 AM »

Put me in this camp.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2021, 09:20:20 AM »
Wonder why they'd even change the name at this point?  They just won a championship under the Golden Eagles name.  Every single MU alum on the team played for the Golden Eagles. 

My first guess: MU's legal dept. politely asked them to change the name to avoid trademark dilution (I work in IP - I'm sure MU loves the added publicity this team brings, but the TBT team to use what is essentially the university's official team name hurts their ability to enforce trademark rights in the future).

My second guess:  some alum who cannot and will not ever get over the Warriors name paid them a bit of dough (perhaps enough to cover travel costs?) to bring back the Warriors in some form or fashion.  This is what they landed on.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2021, 09:48:35 AM »
Who sends a lawyer letter first? Marquette University, or the WWE

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2021, 10:00:12 AM »

As a fellow dorky wrestling fan I am bummed that the Ultimate Warrior turned out to be a total douchebag which keeps the name/logo change from being an amazing confluence of all of my favorite things, and that i will think of that when i see and root for this TBT team, which is otherwise the height of frivolous summer fun.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2021, 10:02:05 AM »
I'm not really outraged, I'm more just puzzled. It seems like it's a odd choice in today's day and age given everyone's (perceived/real?) hypersensitivity. It was easily foreseeable that the name and logo would provoke at least some semblance of this reaction... and the choice to go forward with it anyway suggests to me either:

1. They did not conduct due diligence in this branding endeavor, which is... well, a pretty cavalier choice, or

2. They did conduct due diligence and either didn't care what reaction it would provoke (again, a pretty cavalier choice) or did not imagine anyone would care (which seems hard to imagine considering that all anyone yammering about these days seems to be "cancel culture")

Whatever, a dead wrestler I never watched and would not know existed were it not for his moment in the spotlight a few years ago for being a racist is the inspiration for the name. Sure, fine. I can separate the jackwagon from the TBT team branding. To the extent that I care at all, I care that this branding courted backlash and causes them to have to deal with all this noise.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2021, 10:20:53 AM »
I'm not really outraged, I'm more just puzzled. It seems like it's a odd choice in today's day and age given everyone's (perceived/real?) hypersensitivity. It was easily foreseeable that the name and logo would provoke at least some semblance of this reaction... and the choice to go forward with it anyway suggests to me either:

1. They did not conduct due diligence in this branding endeavor, which is... well, a pretty cavalier choice, or

2. They did conduct due diligence and either didn't care what reaction it would provoke (again, a pretty cavalier choice) or did not imagine anyone would care (which seems hard to imagine considering that all anyone yammering about these days seems to be "cancel culture")

Whatever, a dead wrestler I never watched and would not know existed were it not for his moment in the spotlight a few years ago for being a racist is the inspiration for the name. Sure, fine. I can separate the jackwagon from the TBT team branding. To the extent that I care at all, I care that this branding courted backlash and causes them to have to deal with all this noise.

It should be noted that the guys running this team all have full time jobs.  They've given way more to MU, #mubb fans and TBT than the $83,000 they've received.  It's a part time, summer fun thing.  I'm pretty sure some of the players are just big wrestling fans and wanted to do something "cool" and it meshed with MU's hoops past.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2021, 11:06:20 AM »
If you have outrage at the Ultimate Warriors name and logo shouldn't you have that same outrage towards the Marquette Warriors name and logo?

Seems like a double standard to say how awful the Ultimate Warriors are yet wear Marquette Warriors t-shirts.

Completely fair. I stopped wearing Warriors stuff myself years ago and turned down free Warriors gear earlier this month.

I'm glad Marquette moved away from Warriors and glad they had the foresight to stay away. Willie Wampum and the blatantly racist past associated with the nickname is a part of our history, but a part better left in the past. It'd be nice if the TBT team had the same prescience to stay away from racist iconography.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2021, 11:11:37 AM »
It should be noted that the guys running this team all have full time jobs.  They've given way more to MU, #mubb fans and TBT than the $83,000 they've received.  It's a part time, summer fun thing.  I'm pretty sure some of the players are just big wrestling fans and wanted to do something "cool" and it meshed with MU's hoops past.
I suspect this is the case as well.

Will be interesting to see where they go from here. No matter whether you believe this is hugely inappropriate or you believe it is no big deal, it is sure to cause a lot of noise that detracts from their accomplishments and distracts from this year's team.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2021, 11:26:42 AM »
Interesting to see that people will get outraged that the Marquette team puts a patch on their uniform stating that Black Lives Matter, but hate on “cancel culture” when there’s backlash from the alumni team taking the name and logo of a racist homophobe.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2021, 11:39:56 AM »
Interesting to see that people will get outraged that the Marquette team puts a patch on their uniform stating that Black Lives Matter, but hate on “cancel culture” when there’s backlash from the alumni team taking the name and logo of a racist homophobe.

Great point.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2021, 11:52:40 AM »
I suspect this is the case as well.

Will be interesting to see where they go from here. No matter whether you believe this is hugely inappropriate or you believe it is no big deal, it is sure to cause a lot of noise that detracts from their accomplishments and distracts from this year's team.

but (and I get that I was one of the people to point out the connection) is it though?

Like, outside of the corner of Extremely Online fandom, is either the Ultimate Warrior's name, likeness, or personal history even known a bit? If it weren't for a little bruhaha I read while bored at work several years ago, I would have seen the name as a callback to the pre-Golden Eagles name and Mexican Luchador type masks and that's it. So, what I mean to say is: Is it entirely possible that outside of the animated few who are predisposed to hear from each other will anyone even realize there's an issue here?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2021, 11:58:14 AM »

It's only cancel culture when someone or something they like is being cancelled.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2021, 12:17:12 PM »
but (and I get that I was one of the people to point out the connection) is it though?

Like, outside of the corner of Extremely Online fandom, is either the Ultimate Warrior's name, likeness, or personal history even known a bit? If it weren't for a little bruhaha I read while bored at work several years ago, I would have seen the name as a callback to the pre-Golden Eagles name and Mexican Luchador type masks and that's it. So, what I mean to say is: Is it entirely possible that outside of the animated few who are predisposed to hear from each other will anyone even realize there's an issue here?
You might very well be right. I personally had no idea who Ultimate Warrior was, and if forced to guess would have said MMA or something similar; I certainly wasn't familiar enough to know about his past statements.

But now that it is out there, and many people have made the connection, I don't guess that the controversy will just fade away.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2021, 12:21:24 PM »
It's only cancel culture when someone or something they like is being cancelled.

This is where we meme it into it's only cancel culture when it come from the cancel culture region of France, otherwise it's just sparkling hypocrisy.