'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Newsdreams
[Today at 03:20:44 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:19:42 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: UCLA/MU Next Year  (Read 18773 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: UCLA/MU Next Year
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2021, 09:30:37 PM »
our constitution is whats makes the US great.

It really isn't. Would be far better if it were regularly updated. The idea that a document largely written 240+ years ago is still interpreted today like the 10 Commandments is a poor way to govern.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2021, 09:56:56 PM »
Not if your game is to cause imaginary problems and gum up the works.

Your papers, please
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2021, 10:57:13 PM »
It really isn't. Would be far better if it were regularly updated. The idea that a document largely written 240+ years ago is still interpreted today like the 10 Commandments is a poor way to govern.
Totally disagree. Imagine if the cancel culture had free rein for example. The Constitution is what makes us unique in the world and where most would live if given the chance because it exists

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2021, 11:27:53 PM »
Totally disagree. Imagine if the cancel culture had free rein for example. The Constitution is what makes us unique in the world and where most would live if given the chance because it exists

No, the Constitution doesn't make us unique. Literally dozens of countries have constitutions.
And there is within the Constitution a mechanism for updating the Constitution.  It's how we got 27 amendments.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2021, 11:28:26 PM »

13th Amendment was a big success for cancel culture.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2021, 11:30:12 PM »
cancel culture

Absolutely, it's terrible that some in the GQP tried to cancel Liz Cheney and other Republican patriots who voted to uphold the principles of our great democratic republic.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Brian0230

• Walk-On
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2021, 02:35:23 AM »
 though not basketball related, I am compelled to provide some context here. 

Arbitration is required because companies insert mandatory arbitration clauses into their contracts preventing you from eve suing in court...not because courts are too busy.  Courts are busy, but that is for other reasons.  Arbitration is in almost every consumer contract (credit card, auto sale, bank account, etc) . That means you cannot sue the business in court, a private company paid (mostly by the business you are suing) decides your case. 

Most of the litigation on the docket is debt collectors suing individuals.  That is more then 25% of all cases in most counties.  Litigation has actually decreased significantly  over the last 20 years, at least as far as torts (how you are describing it).  There has been an increase in family law matters and collection cases exploded as business started using courts as a means to collect.  That is where u have seen an increase in litigation.

Hopefully that helps with any confusion.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2021, 02:57:43 AM »
Absolutely, it's terrible that some in the GQP tried to cancel Liz Cheney and other Republican patriots who voted to uphold the principles of our great democratic republic.

When the $$military-industrial-complex$$ darlings known as the Cheney family are cited by liberals for heroism and patriotism, you know things are asQew.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2021, 07:53:31 AM »

It doesn't need to be regularly updated, it needs to be interpreted in modern context.  Determining the intent of the authors is where the logic breaks down for me.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2021, 08:00:21 AM »
This thread is objectively awful
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2021, 08:19:14 AM »
This thread is objectively awful

My apologies for inadvertently playing a part in derailing the thread. Muggsy wrote about businesses being able to make decisions mostly without interference (my interpretation of his remarks) and also about a covid passport being unconstitutional. Having founded a small manufacturing company, I can tell you  first hand that there are a many government regulations that I had to comply with so I corrected him. I also stated that saying something is unconstitutional does not make it so. Like it or not, only the US Supreme Court can do that. I was not taking a shot at Muggsy or giving him a rough time and had no intention whatsoever in starting this forest fire.

So- Mea Culpa. Can we please get this thread back on track?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2021, 08:24:20 AM »
UCLA, one of the early favorites to win
[url]https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31201246/even-deflating-loss-baylor-gonzaga-betting-favorite-win-2022-men-basketball-title[/url

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2021, 09:33:57 AM »
UCLA, one of the early favorites to win
[url]https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31201246/even-deflating-loss-baylor-gonzaga-betting-favorite-win-2022-men-basketball-title[/url

Hard to tell from the article, but it seems to imply that the odds assume Juzang is returning.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2021, 09:49:12 AM »
Imagine if the cancel culture had free rein for example.

The last thing anyone wants is the party that has tried to cancel Delta Airlines, Major League Baseball, Coca-Cola, Harley-Davidson, "Woke Companies", Goodyear Tire, Megan Kelly, Rolling Stone, Glenfiddich, Oreo Cookies, Apple, all Apple products, Mexico (the entire country), Italy (the entire country), CNN, AT&T, Macy's, HBO, Jonah Goldberg from National Review, Univision, Charles Krauthammer, Karl Rove, newspapers in Dallas and Arizona, USA Today, the Wall Street Journal editorial board, Young Pharoah, GOP House members Tom Rice, Dan Newhouse, Adam Kinzinger, Anthony Gonzalez, Fred Upton, Jaime Herrera-Beutler, Peter Meijer, John Katko, David Valadao, GOP Senators Richard Burr, Bill Cassidy, Lisa Murkowski, Mitt Romney, Susan Collins, Ben Sasse, and Pat Toomey, and an entire presidential election having free rein.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2021, 09:53:56 AM »
UCLA made a great run, but I feel like the idea of them being #1/2 next year is just based on their tourney run. This is still an 11-seed that barely made the tournament and was very close to getting knocked out in the first four. Is anyone mentioning them even in the top-10 if they don't get a bid or come back against Sparty?

panda

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2021, 10:14:44 AM »
UCLA made a great run, but I feel like the idea of them being #1/2 next year is just based on their tourney run. This is still an 11-seed that barely made the tournament and was very close to getting knocked out in the first four. Is anyone mentioning them even in the top-10 if they don't get a bid or come back against Sparty?

They’re bringing in two top 50 guys and returning the majority of their team. Even better if Juzang comes back. Top 5 is somewhat ambitious, but they’ll be a top tier P12 team and top 25 for sure.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2021, 10:19:24 AM »
They’re bringing in two top 50 guys and returning the majority of their team. Even better if Juzang comes back. Top 5 is somewhat ambitious, but they’ll be a top tier P12 team and top 25 for sure.

Top-25 I agree with. Even top-15 if Juzang is back. But they were 44th in kenpom going into the tourney and had to overcome a 14-point deficit just to play past the First Four. Having them 1/2 is total prisoner of the moment stuff.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2021, 10:43:03 AM »
Top-25 I agree with. Even top-15 if Juzang is back. But they were 44th in kenpom going into the tourney and had to overcome a 14-point deficit just to play past the First Four. Having them 1/2 is total prisoner of the moment stuff.

I could see Askew joining their roster next year. West coast kid from Mater Dei. Seems like the right fit. Would make them a tough matchup with both him and Juzang there.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2021, 11:39:03 AM »

Hahahahahahaha either this guy has never been out of the country or is stuck in 1950. Or both.
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2021, 03:50:34 PM »
Since the "off-the-subject" part of this tread is the government's ability to compel people to be vaccinated for Covid-19, I'd like to relate a real-life story that played out in my first year out of Marquette.

At the time, I was a reporter for a daily in Western Illinois. First job and all. One day, one of our regional correspondents sent in a handwritten note indicating the Westmer School District was attempting to get their arms around how many of their students had polio shots. A short investigation into the matter found that there were quite a few anti-vaxers in Western Mercer County, IL (it's OK if you don't know where Mercer County is -- it's slogan is "It's Worser in Mercer."). Some of us in the newsroom were old enough to remember what polio did to people and all of us were aware of President Franklin Roosevelt's struggles.

We called the State of Illinois for reaction. The state's move was swift and strong. The schools would be closed to anyone without a polio shot. Plus, the State sent a DPH official to Western Mercer County to enforce its mandates. The result was that for any child that didn't have clear evidence of a polio shot, they got one. There was never a polio outbreak in Western Mercer because of swift state action.

Look, I'm no "Progressive" and certainly not a liberal, but there are certain things the state and federal government do that's in our best interest -- and those of our fellow man and woman. We've wiped out many of the childhood diseases I had -- think mumps, multiple varieties of measles, chicken pox to name a few -- because of public and private efforts to make us free of disease. Problems that made my childhood at times problematic can now be treated with medications.

I don't understand the big frickin deal about getting Covid-19 shots. I'm writing this as I am a bit lethargic due to my second Covid-19 shot. It if keeps me from getting this awful disease, saves me and my insurer thousands in treatment costs and ensures I don't pass this crap on to my fellow men and women, the God-love-'em, line me up!

As Catholics and Christians, we owe this to our fellow persons, don't ya think?

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2021, 03:57:51 PM »
as an atheist and someone who understands a functioning society relies on people helping each other and being kind i agree.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2021, 04:45:53 PM »
as an atheist and someone who understands a functioning society relies on people helping each other and being kind i agree.

You are absolutely right. Even if you don’t buy into the first half of the Great Commandment, the second about loving your neighbor as yourself ensures an orderly and pleasant society.

Again, I don’t get the anti-vaxers. The cost of sticking to a hard core, culturally defiant attitude about medicine because the government urges it is so incredibly stupid that it defies reason.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2021, 07:31:35 PM »
Nice conversation, dgies and naginiF. Thanks for showing respect to each other and making good points.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2021, 07:41:14 PM »
And now back to our regularly scheduled programming?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2021, 08:09:55 PM »
Since the "off-the-subject" part of this tread is the government's ability to compel people to be vaccinated for Covid-19, I'd like to relate a real-life story that played out in my first year out of Marquette.

At the time, I was a reporter for a daily in Western Illinois. First job and all. One day, one of our regional correspondents sent in a handwritten note indicating the Westmer School District was attempting to get their arms around how many of their students had polio shots. A short investigation into the matter found that there were quite a few anti-vaxers in Western Mercer County, IL (it's OK if you don't know where Mercer County is -- it's slogan is "It's Worser in Mercer."). Some of us in the newsroom were old enough to remember what polio did to people and all of us were aware of President Franklin Roosevelt's struggles.

We called the State of Illinois for reaction. The state's move was swift and strong. The schools would be closed to anyone without a polio shot. Plus, the State sent a DPH official to Western Mercer County to enforce its mandates. The result was that for any child that didn't have clear evidence of a polio shot, they got one. There was never a polio outbreak in Western Mercer because of swift state action.

Look, I'm no "Progressive" and certainly not a liberal, but there are certain things the state and federal government do that's in our best interest -- and those of our fellow man and woman. We've wiped out many of the childhood diseases I had -- think mumps, multiple varieties of measles, chicken pox to name a few -- because of public and private efforts to make us free of disease. Problems that made my childhood at times problematic can now be treated with medications.

I don't understand the big frickin deal about getting Covid-19 shots. I'm writing this as I am a bit lethargic due to my second Covid-19 shot. It if keeps me from getting this awful disease, saves me and my insurer thousands in treatment costs and ensures I don't pass this crap on to my fellow men and women, the God-love-'em, line me up!

Cheers