[Today at 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[Today at 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: UCLA/MU Next Year  (Read 18777 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: UCLA/MU Next Year
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2021, 09:27:46 PM »
Just think if Tyger would have stuck with his original commitment to DePaul.

DePaul would have still sucked, and Tyger would have played in as many Final Fours as any of us.

burnin through the night ehh. 200 defress thats why they call me mr farenheight. im travekin at the speejd of light

I remember my first beer.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2021, 09:33:33 PM »
Not sure there is any relevance to ppg or apg stats... or A/TO for that matter. Campbell, who turned 21 in January, is old for his sophomore classification.

He shot a putrid 46.0% eFG% this year after an almost unthinkable 40.8% mark last season. Career 26.2% 3FG% guy on 160 attempts. He's very good at making bad shots (e.g., long twos), but that's relative to other players taking the same shot.... which doesn't make it a helpful thing for him individual or the team.
Sometimes all those #s mean diddlysquat.  Tyger was an absolute force last night.  Any #s you might put up are meaningless.  UCLA was there at the end cuz of Tyger.  Just the bottom line.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2021, 09:39:34 PM »
Sometimes all those #s mean diddlysquat.  Tyger was an absolute force last night.  Any #s you might put up are meaningless.  UCLA was there at the end cuz of Tyger.  Just the bottom line.

Oh, his numbers last night were great. The numbers mean a lot. Always.

I was talking about his SEASONS. The long history we have of his production and abilities. Lots of guys can look great in certain games. Just the bottom line.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2021, 09:45:35 PM »

I was talking about his SEASONS. The long history we have of his production and abilities. Lots of guys can look great in certain games. Just the bottom line.
I was speaking to last night.  Listen up here.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2021, 09:51:12 PM »
I was speaking to last night.  Listen up here.

No, our conversation started when you replied to me commenting that season long ppg and apg games no matta, and then went into his season and career stats.

But, if we want to change the topic to last night - yeah, he was great.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2021, 09:54:28 PM »
No, our conversation started when you replied to me commenting that season long ppg and apg games no matta, and then went into his season and career stats.

But, if we want to change the topic to last night - yeah, he was great.
What I said.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2021, 09:58:20 PM »

Then what stats matter for a PG to not sh*t on the guy?  He is a playmaking point guard, not a score first shooter.  He doesn’t turn it over a bunch. I think that’s perfectly relevant.

Yeah  He’s a terrible 3 point shooter.  That’s well established.  But he he doesn’t chuck from deep and still manages to shoot nearly 50% inside the arc.

And I’m not saying he’s a 19 year old soph like Markus, but he just hasn’t played a ton of a games to act like the book is out on him.  He was a beast last night, but it’s not like he had some uncharacteristic Jean Felix explosion.  I can’t believe the narrative on a first team all conference guy who played huge when it counted last night and was also good against Bama and Michigan is “well he’s not as good as he played”.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2021, 10:25:41 PM »
Lol, I’m not sh1tting on him, just the idea of him being on UCLA next year would be a huge piece of them being a top 5 team

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2021, 10:37:20 PM »
Call me skeptical about UCLA being a top 5 team next year, especially without Juzang.
They had a fantastic run through the tourney, but their placement in the First Four wasn't wildly out of line. And it required a collapse by Sparty for them to get out of the First Four. Not to take anything away from them - again, epic run - but I wouldn't assume it carries over into a new season.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2021, 10:48:39 PM »
Call me skeptical about UCLA being a top 5 team next year, especially without Juzang.
They had a fantastic run through the tourney, but their placement in the First Four wasn't wildly out of line. And it required a collapse by Sparty for them to get out of the First Four. Not to take anything away from them - again, epic run - but I wouldn't assume it carries over into a new season.

If they are Top 5 it's because Cronin is a helluva coach. I think he was a great hire by them.

Death on call

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2021, 11:05:28 PM »
Lol, I’m not sh1tting on him, just the idea of him being on UCLA next year would be a huge piece of them being a top 5 team

FWIW, I don’t think UCLA will be anywhere near top 5 next year, especially without Juzang.  My whole stance came from saying Campbell is better than a “decent” PG and also that UCLA is more likely to be bottom 5 than top 5 in the P12

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2021, 11:15:53 PM »
FWIW, I don’t think UCLA will be anywhere near top 5 next year, especially without Juzang.  My whole stance came from saying Campbell is better than a “decent” PG and also that UCLA is more likely to be bottom 5 than top 5 in the P12

Agreed, I think the brakes should be pumped on calling UCLA a top team next year (though the preseason rankings will have them up there). Had they lost one more game (to us?) they would have likely been out and Cronins seat would be red hot heading into next year. He’s a really good coach though IMO and I’m excited to attend that game this fall.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2021, 11:39:14 PM »
Agreed, I think the brakes should be pumped on calling UCLA a top team next year (though the preseason rankings will have them up there). Had they lost one more game (to us?) they would have likely been out and Cronins seat would be red hot heading into next year. He’s a really good coach though IMO and I’m excited to attend that game this fall.

That's true. It's kinda funny how one December result can change things.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2021, 10:09:31 AM »
Hate to be a curmudgeon, I really do.
UCLA lost to Lady Luck.
I'm all in for Gonzaga tonight, Lady be with us tonight.

Do the so-called statistical models include random numbers to allow for luck?  Or some other methodology?

By the numbers typically used Gonzaga wins tonight and if they lose we have cover saying it was only the  probability.  Then we judge coaches on their win / lost record.  We might as well judge them like General Eisenhower on their coefficient of luck.

What are the variables tonight?

Injury, ref. calls, Baylor 3 point success rate based on hormone loading, individual matchups, intimidation, style match up, etc.. 

Sorry, I'll shut up.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2021, 12:54:04 PM »
If they are Top 5 it's because Cronin is a helluva coach. I think he was a great hire by them.

Dude can coach, no doubt about that. He is also a very good recruiter. UCLA has found their guy.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2021, 12:59:31 PM »
I like Mick Cronin, but let's not pretend he's John Wooden or anything.  Prior to this season, he made it past the first weekend once as a coach.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2021, 01:05:39 PM »
I like Mick Cronin, but let's not pretend he's John Wooden or anything.  Prior to this season, he made it past the first weekend once as a coach.

Definitely not John Wooden. But he is a very good coach, and the UCLA campus and history could turn him into a much better recruiter than he ever would have been at Cincinnati. If he can deal with the outsized expectations, he could have a nice run there.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2021, 03:36:10 PM »

Exactly.

Great run but it came in a Covid year with a tremendously imbalanced competition across every conference and that was most glaringly obvious during this tournament. Looks like an outlier much more than a regular occurrence. 

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2021, 04:00:32 PM »
Exactly.

Great run but it came in a Covid year with a tremendously imbalanced competition across every conference and that was most glaringly obvious during this tournament. Looks like an outlier much more than a regular occurrence.

Stop trying to discredit the guy. Look, I hate Cronin as much as anyone but let's not chalk it up to "luck" or pretend that what he did this year wasn't impressive.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2021, 04:07:09 PM »
Stop trying to discredit the guy. Look, I hate Cronin as much as anyone but let's not chalk it up to "luck" or pretend that what he did this year wasn't impressive.

I like Mick Cronin.  (Why would anyone hate him?)  And I think his run this tournament has been good, but I need to see more evidence to suggest that it wasn't an outlier.  That's all.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2021, 04:27:26 PM »

Yes. Going 0-4 leading up to the tourney, then needing an improbable comeback to make it out of the First Four is the stuff legends are made of. All praise mick.

They went on a nice run and shot ridiculously well while taking low quality shots. Build the statue.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2021, 04:28:36 PM »

I like Mick Cronin.  (Why would anyone hate him?)  And I think his run this tournament has been good, but I need to see more evidence to suggest that it wasn't an outlier.  That's all.

I hate him, tbh. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2021, 07:05:07 PM »
Yes. Going 0-4 leading up to the tourney, then needing an improbable comeback to make it out of the First Four is the stuff legends are made of. All praise mick.

They went on a nice run and shot ridiculously well while taking low quality shots. Build the statue.

So what? How well did MU play going into the NCAA tourney in 1977? We just barely got a bid. Cronin did a great job.

Carl Spackler

• Starter
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2021, 08:44:54 PM »
Our constitution is like an autoimune disease.
I have an autoimune disease, my body works against itself.
Our system works against our country.
It's like using the rules to stop work and progress.

our constitution is whats makes the US great. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2021, 09:12:43 PM »
Hate to be a curmudgeon, I really do.
UCLA lost to Lady Luck.
I'm all in for Gonzaga tonight, Lady be with us tonight.

Do the so-called statistical models include random numbers to allow for luck?  Or some other methodology?

By the numbers typically used Gonzaga wins tonight and if they lose we have cover saying it was only the  probability.  Then we judge coaches on their win / lost record.  We might as well judge them like General Eisenhower on their coefficient of luck.

What are the variables tonight?

Injury, ref. calls, Baylor 3 point success rate based on hormone loading, individual matchups, intimidation, style match up, etc.. 

Sorry, I'll shut up.

Tired legs.

feedback