Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Great article everyone should read.  (Read 15342 times)

fjm

• All American
Great article everyone should read.
« on: March 23, 2021, 09:35:06 AM »
We all have our thoughts on Wojo, on the player we dislike from the other team. We all cheer and boo as we feel needed.

Am I guilty of this? Absolutely. Should I have checked myself on this? Yep!

But read this amazing article by MUBB’s Zoe Comeford. (She was a great Twitter follow this year with her MUBB knowledge.)

Please take the 5 min to read this.

https://marquettewire.org/4051400/sports/comerford-life-is-more-than-just-sports/

MarqKarp

• Starter
Re: Great article everyone should read.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 09:41:57 AM »
Well stated.  Unfortunately, those who need to hear the column's message, are the not the one's I would expect to take time to read it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 09:43:21 AM »
Great piece, and an important reminder that these people are doing their best to represent OUR university. Thank you for posting.

I agree it was time to move on, but I was continually disappointed by the vitriolic comments directed toward Wojo. I'd like to think this might change that, but....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 09:44:56 AM by GooooMarquette »

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 09:44:34 AM »
Reading that article was an utter waste of time surpassed only by the time wasted to write that article.   Fans have the right to express their opinions.  The dude made millions over his time at MU.  Criticism comes with the job.  Should anyone be threatening or attack the man’s family?  Of course not.  Not going to get mad though about fans saying they are happy he’s gone or he’s set the program back.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 09:46:34 AM »
Thanks for posting and she's right. I always struggle with the "it's just on line/social media it shouldn't be taken serious" line of thinking as a) sometimes it clearly goes way beyond that and b) how people post on line is their personality and it is what they believe, the people who take glee from others hardship on line are the same that do it in real life but just don't say anything out loud because they know it's wrong.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 09:46:59 AM »
Did she really segue from Marquette fans posting “bye bye” on the Instagram announcements to the psycho that DM’d death threats to EJ Liddell?

What a hack.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 09:48:08 AM »
Agreed.  Good article.  Stay classy Marquette!

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 09:50:21 AM »
Is no one going to point the author’s clear manipulation and moving of the goal post?   She starts off with what people said about Wojo - glad he’s gone, shouldn’t be proud of losing record, etc.  All pretty tame fan reactions to an awful coach.  She then goes into connecting that to people wishing a player would die for missing a free throw.  Clearly far different levels.  To equate the two is absurd and manipulative.   

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 09:50:54 AM »
There's a very important message here. That being aid I don't think she fully grasps the financial issues facing the university and how fixing our basketball program would have a domino effect impacting class size, applications, fundraising, etc.

Essentially if you want to write a piece focusing on how "it's only a game" then you have to consider the alternative of what does the game impact. I feel sorry for Steve and his family, truly wish they had gotten it done, but he didn't and it was time to go.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 09:51:16 AM »
Did she really segue from Marquette fans posting “bye bye” on the Instagram announcements to the psycho that DM’d death threats to EJ Liddell?

What a hack.

lol glad someone else has enough common sense to see through this manipulation.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 09:52:56 AM »
Reading that article was an utter waste of time surpassed only by the time wasted to write that article.   Fans have the right to express their opinions.  The dude made millions over his time at MU.  Criticism comes with the job.  Should anyone be threatening or attack the man’s family?  Of course not.  Not going to get mad though about fans saying they are happy he’s gone or he’s set the program back.

There's expressing a desire for a coaching change and then there's continuing to crap on someone under a classy farewell message.  Not surprised you can't differentiate between the two. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 09:54:41 AM »

What a hack.
Is no one going to point the author’s clear manipulation and moving of the goal post?   She starts off with what people said about Wojo - glad he’s gone, shouldn’t be proud of losing record, etc.  All pretty tame fan reactions to an awful coach.  She then goes into connecting that to people wishing a player would die for missing a free throw.  Clearly far different levels.  To equate the two is absurd and manipulative.   

Not really surprising that you two are the ones who are so upset by the article. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 09:55:05 AM »
There's expressing a desire for a coaching change and then there's continuing to crap on someone under a classy farewell message.  Not surprised you can't differentiate between the two.

This. He was already fired, why did people still need to be dicks about it?

Yes it's a false equivalency between the two OSU posts and ours but the broader point is why are people so invested that they feel they can be huge dbags to people they don't know.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 09:56:00 AM »

I’m just not going to cry about a coach who made millions of dollars getting a little criticism on Instagram.   If you want to act like it’s an outrage feel free.   

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 09:56:17 AM »
Gosh it is so easy to tear everything and everyone down. Who needs empathy? Who needs a rational discussion? We can just sit on our perches and ridicule others and live in a sea of negativity.

What a sad life that must be to see the negative in everyone and everything.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2021, 09:56:31 AM »
lol glad someone else has enough common sense to see through this manipulation.

The only people "manipulated" by that article aren't likely particularly bright to begin with.  It was speaking to the fact that harassment of athletes and coaches is part of a larger problem that can go to that level. 

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2021, 09:57:30 AM »

Not really surprising that you two are the ones who are so upset by the article.
Not upset - just trying to understand how the two are related. It takes someone mentally unhinged to do what that guy did to EJ Liddell. Saying “bye bye” on Wojo’s instagram is about as tame of a reaction as you could possibly expect.

Again - I don’t remember a piece coming out like this when Buzz left us.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 09:58:36 AM »
I’m just not going to cry about a coach who made millions of dollars getting a little criticism on Instagram.   If you want to act like it’s an outrage feel free.   

Commenting about and discussing it are not equivalent to crying or being outraged by it, genius. 

fjm

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2021, 10:00:25 AM »
Not upset - just trying to understand how the two are related. It takes someone mentally unhinged to do what that guy did to EJ Liddell. Saying “bye bye” on Wojo’s instagram is about as tame of a reaction as you could possibly expect.

Again - I don’t remember a piece coming out like this when Buzz left us.

You called the writer a hack.

A writer who’s trying to point it’s just a sport and to chill on the negativity.

And this coming from you surprises me. Didn’t you just blast a bunch of people (including me... and could I have done better... yes and that’s on me and I apologize) for being happy that the hausers lost?

She’s a hack....
But don’t say anything about the hausers.
☝🏼☝🏼☝🏼This says far more about you than the writer.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2021, 10:02:36 AM »
My goodness, people.  You can be happy MU severed ties with the man (I am), but what point is there to crapping on him on his way out?  Be better than that.  By all accounts he is a good man whose best efforts were just not good enough in terms of on court success. 

As always, thank him for his efforts and wish him luck wherever he goes, and cheer for the next guy.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2021, 10:06:38 AM »

A writer who’s trying to point it’s just a sport and to chill on the negativity.

And this coming from you surprises me. Didn’t you just blast a bunch of people (including me... and could I have done better... yes and that’s on me and I apologize) for being happy that the hausers lost?

She’s a hack....

And a student writer at that.

Maybe he should go down over to Children's Hospital next and criticize the Marquette student nurses about their crappy charting technique.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:09:23 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2021, 10:08:34 AM »
This. He was already fired, why did people still need to be dicks about it?

Yes it's a false equivalency between the two OSU posts and ours but the broader point is why are people so invested that they feel they can be huge dbags to people they don't know.

You must be new round here.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2021, 10:09:25 AM »

She’s a hack....

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2021, 10:10:48 AM »
I did find this interesting: “During games in 2020-21, Marquette’s PA announcer Mike Jakubowski had to race through Wojciechowski’s pregame introduction as the booing for the program’s head coach was louder than for the other team’s introduction.

The implication: booing 18-21 year olds who chose to attend another school is fine and to be expected. Booing Wojo crosses a line.

I personally agree that a lot of the social media stuff “crosses the line.” But her own words demonstrate that we draw all sorts of “lines” all the time. I suspect my “line” is a lot closer to hers than some others, but I wonder if she realizes that some people think booing other teams during introductions crosses a line.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2021, 10:13:48 AM »
I did find this interesting: “During games in 2020-21, Marquette’s PA announcer Mike Jakubowski had to race through Wojciechowski’s pregame introduction as the booing for the program’s head coach was louder than for the other team’s introduction.

The implication: booing 18-21 year olds who chose to attend another school is fine and to be expected. Booing Wojo crosses a line.

I personally agree that a lot of the social media stuff “crosses the line.” But her own words demonstrate that we draw all sorts of “lines” all the time. I suspect my “line” is a lot closer to hers than some others, but I wonder if she realizes that some people think booing other teams during introductions crosses a line.

I think booing the other team can be done playfully.  Chanting "F*ck the [insert opponent nickname here]" is inappropriate and immature.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback