[June 12, 2024, 08:32:41 PM]

New Assistant Coach by Skatastrophy
[June 12, 2024, 08:04:46 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by tower912
[June 12, 2024, 07:47:59 PM]

Hurley staying! by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 12, 2024, 04:20:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Great article everyone should read.  (Read 15460 times)

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Re: Great article everyone should read.
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2021, 10:14:38 AM »
You called the writer a hack.

A writer who’s trying to point it’s just a sport and to chill on the negativity.

And this coming from you surprises me. Didn’t you just blast a bunch of people (including me... and could I have done better... yes and that’s on me and I apologize) for being happy that the hausers lost?

She’s a hack....
But don’t say anything about the hausers.
☝🏼☝🏼☝🏼This says far more about you than the writer.
Lol you must be joking - you “could’ve done better”?? That’s not at all what you were saying in that thread.

And I’m calling this writer a hack purely by the definitional form of the word - a writer whose only motivation is to advance the politics of her organization (i.e. why she has relentlessly protected Wojo).

I’m not going to follow her around and laugh at her failures throughout life the way you sickos do with the Hausers. But you “could’ve done better”, right? 😂😂😂. PLEASE.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2021, 10:16:27 AM »
You called the writer a hack.

A writer who’s trying to point it’s just a sport and to chill on the negativity.

And this coming from you surprises me. Didn’t you just blast a bunch of people (including me... and could I have done better... yes and that’s on me and I apologize) for being happy that the hausers lost?

She’s a hack....
But don’t say anything about the hausers.
☝🏼☝🏼☝🏼This says far more about you than the writer.

The clear bias towards protecting the Hauser's, and crapping on everyone else, seriously makes me wonder if 5-dollar pitcher is Mrs. Hauser.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 10:17:23 AM »
Lol you must be joking - you “could’ve done better”?? That’s not at all what you were saying in that thread.

And I’m calling this writer a hack purely by the definitional form of the word - a writer whose only motivation is to advance the politics of her organization (i.e. why she has relentlessly protected Wojo).

I’m not going to follow her around and laugh at her failures throughout life the way you sickos do with the Hausers. But you “could’ve done better”, right? 😂😂😂. PLEASE.

“Could’ve done better”

Feel bad for 0 of them.

They can go pound sand. Maybe they should write a letter to the Ohio and UCLA coaches about how they should have been allowed to win because their daddy said so.

You tell me which is worse. This ^ or saying someone is a “hack”?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2021, 10:19:14 AM »
I did find this interesting: “During games in 2020-21, Marquette’s PA announcer Mike Jakubowski had to race through Wojciechowski’s pregame introduction as the booing for the program’s head coach was louder than for the other team’s introduction.

The implication: booing 18-21 year olds who chose to attend another school is fine and to be expected. Booing Wojo crosses a line.

I personally agree that a lot of the social media stuff “crosses the line.” But her own words demonstrate that we draw all sorts of “lines” all the time. I suspect my “line” is a lot closer to hers than some others, but I wonder if she realizes that some people think booing other teams during introductions crosses a line.

Ehhh ... I think you're making a pretty large assumption, based on facts not in evidence, about how she feels about booing the other team during introductions.
I think a more fair and accurate reading is that it's unusual for the boos directed at the home team's coach to be louder than those for the visitor, not that one is more acceptable than the other.

Anyhow, this column sure has some people getting defensive. Cuts a little close, I imagine.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2021, 10:20:57 AM »
“Could’ve done better”

You tell me which is worse. This ^ or saying someone is a “hack”?

You’re right. And thank you for posting that.

I could have done better and not posted that. And I’m sorry for that.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2021, 10:24:08 AM »
I think booing the other team can be done playfully.  Chanting "F*ck the [insert opponent nickname here]" is inappropriate and immature.

I agree.

My point is only that we all draw lines. You, me, the author of that article...everyone. Often they’re different and often they’re seemingly arbitrary. I happen to agree with her that some of the stuff she described with Wojo crossed the line. Virtually everyone would agree that the stuff with that OSU kid crossed the line.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2021, 10:24:49 AM »
I did find this interesting: “During games in 2020-21, Marquette’s PA announcer Mike Jakubowski had to race through Wojciechowski’s pregame introduction as the booing for the program’s head coach was louder than for the other team’s introduction.

There was one game where a few hundred students were allowed in. And probably 15 booed. That's a reach

As Al said: There is nothing good that can happen after midnight". The same here: There is nothing good that can be typed on social media after a loss or firing.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2021, 10:25:44 AM »
Ehhh ... I think you're making a pretty large assumption, based on facts not in evidence, about how she feels about booing the other team during introductions.
I think a more fair and accurate reading is that it's unusual for the boos directed at the home team's coach to be louder than those for the visitor, not that one is more acceptable than the other.

That’s fair.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2021, 10:25:48 AM »
I agree.

My point is only that we all draw lines. You, me, the author of that article...everyone. Often they’re different and often they’re seemingly arbitrary. I happen to agree with her that some of the stuff she described with Wojo crossed the line. Virtually everyone would agree that the stuff with that OSU kid crossed the line.

Touché. We do all have our own mental lines in what we feel is ok.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2021, 10:27:47 AM »
Touché. We do all have our own mental lines in what we feel is ok.

For example: I generally don’t like to boo kids...unless they go to Wisconsin. It’s my line, and I’ll own it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2021, 10:29:56 AM »

The implication: booing 18-21 year olds who chose to attend another school is fine and to be expected. Booing Wojo crosses a line.

What I took away from that was, considering the only students in the building during the 2020-21 season were the team itself, that Wojo's own players were booing him. Pretty clear evidence that he lost the team after all.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2021, 10:31:30 AM »
Yes it's a false equivalency between the two OSU posts and ours but the broader point is why are people so invested that they feel they can be huge dbags to people they don't know.
To be fair - he took at least $15 million of University money over 7 years to move our program in the wrong direction. When Scholl offered a way forward where he keeps his job and hires a new assistant (allegedly) he decided instead to cash in his buy out.

I’d say all that is reason enough to be invested and harbor ill will against him. If you don’t think the same - that’s fine.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:33:30 AM by 5DollarPitcher »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2021, 10:32:55 AM »
I don’t think the comments on Wojo’s Twitter or Instagram are a great reflection on the fan base. I also think it’s pretty common across NCAA.

I think talking about how Wojo is doing at the job is fine on a message board as long as it’s not personally attacking him or his family. The guy is making $2M a year so his job performance is fair game.

I don’t think we’ve crossed the line into personally attacking Wojo and his family.

I think it’s a far cry from what was sent to the OSU player, but it makes sense to draw that comparison.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2021, 10:33:20 AM »
To be fair - he took at least $15 million of University money over 7 years to move our program in the wrong direction. When Scholl offered a way forward where he keeps his job and hires a new assistant (allegedly) he decided instead to cash in his buy out.

I’d say all that is reason enough to be invested and harbor I’ll will against him. If you don’t think the same - that’s fine.

You make it sound that he intentionally did his job poorly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2021, 10:34:31 AM »
I don’t think the comments on Wojo’s Twitter or Instagram are a great reflection on the fan base. I also think it’s pretty common across NCAA.

I think talking about how Wojo is doing at the job is fine on a message board as long as it’s not personally attacking him or his family. The guy is making $2M a year so his job performance is fair game.

I don’t think we’ve crossed the line into personally attacking Wojo and his family.

I think it’s a far cry from what was sent to the OSU player, but it makes sense to draw that comparison.
This is the correct take

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2021, 10:34:34 AM »
And a student writer at that.

Maybe he should go down over to Children's Hospital next and criticize the Marquette student nurses about their crappy charting technique.

Yep. The same people who rationalize ripping Wojo because he makes millions also resort to name-calling of unpaid student interns, but seem blind to the difference. Classic.

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2021, 10:35:04 AM »
Instead of “Bye Bye”, how about just saying “Thanks coach, we appreciate the effort.  Best of luck in your next job.”  Or say nothing at all.  I don’t understand the desire by some people to kick a guy when he is down, even if that guy just got paid tons of money.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2021, 10:37:44 AM »

I’d say all that is reason enough to be invested and harbor ill will against him. If you don’t think the same - that’s fine.

So what is the exact dollar amount at which you are allowed to be rude, disrespectful and petty?  I need to write that down for future reference.
Have some patience, FFS.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2021, 10:38:18 AM »
So what is the exact dollar amount at which you are allowed to be rude, disrespectful and petty?  I need to write that down for future reference.
$1 million

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2021, 10:40:06 AM »

Supporting the coach for your alma mater is not political.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2021, 10:40:53 AM »
Not upset - just trying to understand how the two are related. It takes someone mentally unhinged to do what that guy did to EJ Liddell. Saying “bye bye” on Wojo’s instagram is about as tame of a reaction as you could possibly expect.

Again - I don’t remember a piece coming out like this when Buzz left us.

Many people were not happy when Buzz left especially with the last season that he put up.  The real difference is the increase in the amount of inner ugliness people are comfortable with expressing since then.  That's a real downside to anonymous posting.  And I thought that Wojo was being paid to coach a basketball team, not to sit in your personal carnival dunking chair.  Lose the entitlement, grow up.

You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2021, 10:41:55 AM »

Supporting the coach for your alma mater is not political.
Political doesn’t just mean Republican v Democrat.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2021, 10:42:03 AM »
Instead of “Bye Bye”, how about just saying “Thanks coach, we appreciate the effort.  Best of luck in your next job.”  Or say nothing at all.  I don’t understand the desire by some people to kick a guy when he is down, even if that guy just got paid tons of money.
this goes to my previous point that peoples on line personas are who they are in real life, some people are just dicks

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2021, 10:42:17 AM »

That's a good point and if he'd been on the sidelines again I'd be posting on here how ticked off I was about it. But the guy was fired already, what's the point?

I equate it to this, if you're in sales and you're dragging down team performance preventing bonuses then your team rightfully can grumble around the water cooler, try to coach you, ask you if maybe this isn't the best career, etc. But when once you're fired, should they all clap in your face and say "finally we'll get bonuses!"? No of course not, and it's no different here. The guy wasn't up for the task, he deservedly was a lightning rod for criticism but he was already gone so why pour salt on it?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2021, 10:42:37 AM »
Is no one going to point the author’s clear manipulation and moving of the goal post?   She starts off with what people said about Wojo - glad he’s gone, shouldn’t be proud of losing record, etc.  All pretty tame fan reactions to an awful coach.  She then goes into connecting that to people wishing a player would die for missing a free throw.  Clearly far different levels.  To equate the two is absurd and manipulative.

I think there's a difference between posting it on here and posting it to his personal instagram (so a direct message to him that he personally receives) as he's thanking the program on the way out. Totally unnecessary to do the latter. The former is exactly what a fan board is for.