[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another day ... / mass shooting  (Read 34138 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: Another day ... / mass shooting
« Reply #200 on: May 10, 2021, 09:15:21 AM »
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/05/10/chicago-weekend-violence-shootings-violent-crime-may-2021/

Every effing weekend in Chicago.

Actually, probably a fairly quiet weekend by Chicago standards.

Where's Chicago's mayor condemning black on black violence? So much for BLM, hey?

And EVERYONE admits, acknowledges and concedes there is a HUGE problem.  Every day programs are being rolled out to attack it.  They are led by politicians, athletes, business community etc.  Some are helping, some aren't.  But no one is denying there is a problem. 

But when it comes to mass shootings, there is a sizeable part of our country that just says:

1) Now is not the time to politicize this, we need to grieve
2) It's a mental health issue (and then never addresses the mental health issue)
3) What about Chicago?

Mayor Lightfoot doesn't deny that Englewood is a sh!t show and just say: WHAT ABOUT IDAHO?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #201 on: May 10, 2021, 09:48:19 AM »

And EVERYONE admits, acknowledges and concedes there is a HUGE problem.  Every day programs are being rolled out to attack it.  They are led by politicians, athletes, business community etc.  Some are helping, some aren't.  But no one is denying there is a problem. 

But when it comes to mass shootings, there is a sizeable part of our country that just says:

2) It's a mental health issue (and then never addresses the mental health issue)
3) What about Chicago?

Mayor Lightfoot doesn't deny that Englewood is a sh!t show and just say: WHAT ABOUT IDAHO?
100%.

People who respond with 1,2,&3 should just be intellectually honest and say "I don't care about mass shootings and gun violence".

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #202 on: May 10, 2021, 10:57:53 AM »

I love Chicago, lived there most of my life.

I’m encouraged that Mayor Lightfoot acknowledges that Englewood is a sh!t show. It’s been ignored for far too long. What programs have been put in place and has there been any progress/rays of hope?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #203 on: May 10, 2021, 11:22:04 AM »
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/05/10/chicago-weekend-violence-shootings-violent-crime-may-2021/

Every effing weekend in Chicago.

Actually, probably a fairly quiet weekend by Chicago standards.
Agree, we should drastically reduce the easy availability to guns in this country.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #204 on: May 10, 2021, 11:24:08 AM »

3) What about Chicago?

It is a gun proliferation problem. It is not a mental health issue.

If you can find evidence that the US has more mental problems than EVERY other country in the world, then we can have that discussion.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #205 on: May 10, 2021, 11:35:56 AM »

I’m encouraged that Mayor Lightfoot acknowledges that Englewood is a sh!t show. It’s been ignored for far too long. What programs have been put in place and has there been any progress/rays of hope?

Here's one from March:

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/mayor/press_room/press_releases/2021/march/INVESTSouthWestWinningProposals.html

There's no magic potion for either issue but I we should be able to agree that people are trying to curb gang violence in Chicago.  Are their efforts effective?  That's debatable.  But is anyone trying to stop mass shooting?  Are we acknowledging there's an issue? 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #206 on: May 10, 2021, 11:40:54 AM »

It's astonishing the fixation on Englewood. It's actually not the most violent area in the city. It's the poorest, but Austin has the most active gang issues, and more violent crime. I mean neither is a spot to be but for some reason Englewood has been given a target on its back by everyone around the country.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #207 on: May 10, 2021, 12:27:59 PM »
It's astonishing the fixation on Englewood. It's actually not the most violent area in the city. It's the poorest, but Austin has the most active gang issues, and more violent crime. I mean neither is a spot to be but for some reason Englewood has been given a target on its back by everyone around the country.

Austin is a lot bigger, so I dont know if its as extreme per capita.  Englewood was just absurdly poor, extremely violent, and had a couple very notable people like D Rose and Jennifer Hudson come out when it was at its lowest that kind of brought shine on it, to counter the horrific stuff.  Other areas have ebbed and flowed with crime, but that was just the name that everyone associated with "Chiraq" for 10-15 years.

And not shocking that Lightfoot would focus on that, when other areas are worse like you mentioned, cause she'd much rather focus on buzz and making a show than actually being effective, cause she's terrible.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #208 on: May 10, 2021, 12:47:33 PM »

And not shocking that Lightfoot would focus on that, when other areas are worse like you mentioned, cause she'd much rather focus on buzz and making a show than actually being effective, cause she's terrible.

I was the one who focused on Englewood, not Lightfoot.  This is the headline from the article I linked:

Mayor Lightfoot Announces Winning INVEST South/West Proposals for Austin, Englewood, and Auburn Gresham Development Sites

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #209 on: May 10, 2021, 01:03:11 PM »
It is a gun proliferation problem. It is not a mental health issue.

If you can find evidence that the US has more mental problems than EVERY other country in the world, then we can have that discussion.
It's most likely a combination of many things (outdated/unenforced ref flag laws, too easy to get a permit, etc) but to state it is not a mental health issue is just plain wrong.

Here's a study of the mental health crisis, not sure of ALL countries, but higher than the countries compared to.
https://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/issue-briefs/2020/may/mental-health-conditions-substance-use-comparing-us-other-countries

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #210 on: May 10, 2021, 02:19:26 PM »
It's most likely a combination of many things (outdated/unenforced ref flag laws, too easy to get a permit, etc) but to state it is not a mental health issue is just plain wrong.

Here's a study of the mental health crisis, not sure of ALL countries, but higher than the countries compared to.
https://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/issue-briefs/2020/may/mental-health-conditions-substance-use-comparing-us-other-countries

Thanks, Lawdog. I wasn't minimizing the mental health problems in the US. They are a very real problem.

I was speaking only in relationship to gun violence. Almost no other nations have to deal with the gun violence issues to the same extent as we do. That is why the ready availability of guns to everyone is the issue. People are shooting people because they have the means to do it.

It's no different than well-off people eating better, healthier food than poor people. They do so only because they have the means to do it and poor people don't..

MU82

• All American
« Reply #211 on: May 10, 2021, 05:39:18 PM »
I can't believe the solution is right there in front of our faces and we're avoiding the obvious:

Clearly, what we need are more guns and fewer laws. Duh!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #212 on: May 10, 2021, 06:03:59 PM »
I can't believe the solution is right there in front of our faces and we're avoiding the obvious:

Clearly, what we need are more guns and fewer laws. Duh!

We heard the joke the first 5 times Mike, stop trying to bait people and further derail a discussion that’s actually been productive for a hot minute  8-)

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #213 on: May 10, 2021, 06:38:33 PM »
We heard the joke the first 5 times Mike, stop trying to bait people and further derail a discussion that’s actually been productive for a hot minute  8-)

I get your point Wags, but how do you know he was joking? More guns is literally the republican policy.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #214 on: May 10, 2021, 08:38:42 PM »
Gun free New Zealand just had a mass stabbing. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #215 on: May 10, 2021, 08:46:25 PM »

and heroic by standards who weren't armed were able to subdue him. Compare that to shootings where no unarmed by standards have a shot at defense and many many more than 4 people are injured.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #216 on: May 10, 2021, 08:59:52 PM »
This past weekend the US had 10 mass shootings that injured as many people as the New Zealand stabbing.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/10/us/us-weekend-mass-shootings/index.html

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #217 on: May 10, 2021, 09:11:09 PM »

Four victims. All survived.
Now imagine the outcome if the same guy rampages through the same supermarket with an AR-15.
Actually, we don't have to imagine.
See: Boulder (10 dead, 2 injured)
See: El Paso (23 dead, 23 injured)

You've made an excellent argument for gun control.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #218 on: May 10, 2021, 09:38:44 PM »
Yes, locking more people up is the answer!

just one example of many-

https://www.foxnews.com/us/suspected-times-square-shooter-is-career-criminal-with-a-lengthy-rap-sheet

if the anti gun people are so worried about the number of guns on the street, they should be more than outraged this dude was even walking the streets.  just the fact that he committed ONE crime with a gun followed by at least 2 more?  and the st louis da wants to lock up a husband-wife for just badging a couple of guns protecting their property?? they didn't even fire them, much less shoot anyone.  if they would have fired off a couple rounds and injured a child??  death penalty right?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #219 on: May 10, 2021, 09:49:39 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/us/suspected-times-square-shooter-is-career-criminal-with-a-lengthy-rap-sheet

if the anti gun people are so worried about the number of guns on the street, they should be more than outraged this dude was even walking the streets.  just the fact that he committed ONE crime with a gun followed by at least 2 more?  and the st louis da wants to lock up a husband-wife for just badging a couple of guns protecting their property?? they didn't even fire them, much less shoot anyone.  if they would have fired off a couple rounds and injured a child??  death penalty right?

You didn't actually read the story, did you?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #220 on: May 10, 2021, 09:53:17 PM »

Wags, yes, I was being facetious ... but you're right, I probably shouldn't have been.

Because, in fact, an upsettingly large swath of Americans want more people to have more guns. They want to arm teachers, clergy, moviegoers, bar patrons, etc, etc, etc.

More, more, more. Need more guns.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #221 on: May 10, 2021, 10:59:55 PM »
if the anti gun people are so worried about the number of guns on the street, they should be more than outraged this dude was even walking the streets.
This statement makes not even an iota of sense. (Why should I be surprised?)

That aside, you are once again claiming that we can't enact stronger gun laws because "people have rap sheets." Sigh.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #222 on: May 11, 2021, 06:38:06 AM »

Death penalty is barbaric and should be outlawed.  The real question to ask here, rocket, is why this guy is committing crimes in the first place.  I doubt he does these things because it's fun.  He is a product of the system that you want to perpetuate.  Lock em all up, throw away the key, and forget about their abandoned families.  And when he gets out in a few years, he'll just go back because that is was over 60% of former inmates do.  Their incarceration doesn't end when they leave prison.  Their crimes follow them for the rest of their lives.  Forgive and forget?  Guess not in America.

I have no idea why you're trying to tie the psychopaths from St. Louis (they weren't defending their property from anything, they were menacing protestors because they're racist psychos) to this guy.  Awfully weird, huh?  Wonder why you'd do something like that... hmmm....

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #223 on: May 11, 2021, 08:29:36 AM »

So we should ignore prosecuting two individuals who committed textbook armed (with guns) assault and intimidation? That's your solution?

You state that the fact that he committed ONE crime with a gun should be sufficient to lock him up and get him off the street. If that is the case, then the husband-wife should be locked up to get them off the street.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #224 on: May 11, 2021, 11:20:38 AM »
White folks use guns to protect themselves. Black folks use guns to commit crimes.

I mean, that’s just rocket science!