[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another day ... / mass shooting  (Read 34106 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: Another day ... / mass shooting
« Reply #175 on: May 03, 2021, 08:48:09 AM »
We can't make any new laws to stop this. Criminals will just break the laws anyway. That's just common sense.

Saw a sobering statistic yesterday. In Baltimore, for every $1 that goes to police budgets, only $0.55 goes to public schools, and $0.01 to programs to prevent youth violence. And most major crimes are leading to arrests at something like 30% of cases.

If criminals are just going to break laws anyways...?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #176 on: May 03, 2021, 11:56:01 AM »
Saw a sobering statistic yesterday. In Baltimore, for every $1 that goes to police budgets, only $0.55 goes to public schools, and $0.01 to programs to prevent youth violence. And most major crimes are leading to arrests at something like 30% of cases.

Redirect the $0.01 to purchase and distribute guns to all youths. The only thing that will stop a bad 4th grader with a gun is a good 4th grader with a gun.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #177 on: May 03, 2021, 12:26:33 PM »

Your point remains, but I think your numbers are off. Baltimore City Public Schools has a 2021 Budget of nearly 1.4 billion https://www.baltimorecityschools.org/budget. Baltimore Police has a budget of 555 million https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-pol-baltimore-taxpayer-night-20210422-3cdlxup4rnbnhizl7bc6i45gny-story.html.

What gets me , is that the article states that only 4.7 million is spent on mental health services.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #178 on: May 03, 2021, 02:48:45 PM »
Redirect the $0.01 to purchase and distribute guns to all youths. The only thing that will stop a bad 4th grader with a gun is a good 4th grader with a gun.

There are dozens and dozens of accidents every year in the U.S. involving toddlers getting into their parents' guns and firing away. If we just armed everybody 1 and up, and taught those precocious lads and lasses how to shoot, imagine how many fewer accidents there would be!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #179 on: May 03, 2021, 08:19:18 PM »
There are dozens and dozens of accidents every year in the U.S. involving toddlers getting into their parents' guns and firing away. If we just armed everybody 1 and up, and taught those precocious lads and lasses how to shoot, imagine how many fewer accidents there would be!

Could you imagine how many Scoopers would have been shot in the last 15 months, accidentally or in self defense?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #180 on: May 03, 2021, 11:56:31 PM »
Your point remains, but I think your numbers are off. Baltimore City Public Schools has a 2021 Budget of nearly 1.4 billion https://www.baltimorecityschools.org/budget. Baltimore Police has a budget of 555 million https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-pol-baltimore-taxpayer-night-20210422-3cdlxup4rnbnhizl7bc6i45gny-story.html.

What gets me , is that the article states that only 4.7 million is spent on mental health services.

Thanks for the update. The numbers I cited I pulled from a special on CNN by Kamau Bell, I just happened to see it in the background while working.

I had to go look for the clip, because I was trying to figure out if I misunderstood it, or Kamau Bell mis-stated the dollar amounts. Not surprisingly, I didn't fully understand what he was saying. His numbers are specifically for the municipal budget. I'm guessing the full funding for schools comes out of multiple additional coffers.

My apologies for misunderstanding what I saw. The fact remains, that with your numbers, it is still absurd how the money is allocated.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/05/01/united-shades-policing-the-police-101-animation.cnn/video/playlists/united-shades-of-america-season-4/

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2021, 09:11:16 AM »
I'm guessing the full funding for schools comes out of multiple additional coffers.

My apologies for misunderstanding what I saw. The fact remains, that with your numbers, it is still absurd how the money is allocated.

No apology needed.  The CNN video you linked to was preposterously misleading.

But your last sentence doesn't make sense.  "with your numbers, it's still absurd how the money is allocated."

I don't understand.  $1.4b to schools, .5b to police.  Spending 3x on schools than police seems reasonable.   I mean, it'd be great if it was 10x, but 3x seems in the ballpark.

Looks like MKE is about 4x .. although each city has their own set of issues and characteristics, taxation policies, poverty and crime levels, education needs, union power, etc.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2021, 07:04:10 AM »
We clearly need more guns, because the only way to stop a bad 6th-grade girl with a gun is a good 6th-grade girl with a gun!

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/three-injured-eastern-idaho-school-shooting-student-custody-local-media-2021-05-06/?utm_term=OZY&utm_campaign=pdb&utm_content=Friday_05.07.21&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email

A sixth-grade girl pulled a handgun from a backpack at her eastern Idaho school on Thursday and opened fire, hitting two fellow students and a member of school staff and inflicting non-life-threatening injuries on them, officials said.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2021, 09:23:40 AM »

before you get all excited about taking guns away from law abiding citizens, take a look at all the bad people with rap sheets as long as these pages of scoop.  felons being let out of prison, crimes not being prosecuted, etc etc  bad people with bad behavior do not belong on our streets.  regarding kids who behave badly, depending on their ages, the parents need to be held responsible just as bad dog owners be held responsible for their dogs.  i'm sure if we take a closer look at these parents, many of them shouldn't be parents and possibly be in jail themselves as well
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2021, 09:28:02 AM »
  before you get all excited about taking guns away from law abiding citizens, take a look at all the bad people with rap sheets as long as these pages of scoop.  felons being let out of prison, crimes not being prosecuted, etc etc  bad people with bad behavior do not belong on our streets.  regarding kids who behave badly, depending on their ages, the parents need to be held responsible just as bad dog owners be held responsible for their dogs.  i'm sure if we take a closer look at these parents, many of them shouldn't be parents and possibly be in jail themselves as well

You're a caricature.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2021, 09:30:36 AM »

Does that include the parents of Anissa weier and Morgan Geyser?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2021, 09:33:49 AM »

thanks, archie bunker of 704 howser street!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2021, 09:49:20 AM »

Isn’t this what the “Defund Police” movement is trying to accomplish? Try to improve the communities so crime isn’t what people resort to. Terrible name I agree, but the thought behind it seems sound.

It doesn’t seem like “throw them in jail” is the answer to our problems. Unless we are going to build jails at the rate of apartments.

It’s better to try and solve some of the root causes of the issues, which is where money previously allocated for the police department would go to. It won’t solve everything, but maybe some community programs geared at mental health or teaching job skills would help. It seems to for some places.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #188 on: May 07, 2021, 12:33:10 PM »

Do you have kids?  If so, can you have them contact me?  Thanks
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #189 on: May 07, 2021, 12:47:53 PM »
We clearly need more guns, because the only way to stop a bad 6th-grade girl with a gun is a good 6th-grade girl with a gun!

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/three-injured-eastern-idaho-school-shooting-student-custody-local-media-2021-05-06/?utm_term=OZY&utm_campaign=pdb&utm_content=Friday_05.07.21&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email

A sixth-grade girl pulled a handgun from a backpack at her eastern Idaho school on Thursday and opened fire, hitting two fellow students and a member of school staff and inflicting non-life-threatening injuries on them, officials said.

You're way too wussy on guns, 82. This 6th grader could have walked to a kindergarten class and opened fire. The good 4-5 years olds need to be carrying as well.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2021, 12:51:35 PM »

You're way too wussy on guns, 82. This 6th grader could have walked to a kindergarten class and opened fire. The good 4-5 years olds need to be carrying as well.

Maybe they were and that why she didn't go in there
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #191 on: May 07, 2021, 01:34:23 PM »
Maybe they were and that why she didn't go in there

Man, you outsmarted me again, Galway. :D

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #192 on: May 07, 2021, 10:09:26 PM »
Why yes, we can't have sensible guns laws because there are people with rap sheets. That makes perfect sense. And also children that are like bad dogs. Thank you for bringing these important points to light.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #193 on: May 09, 2021, 09:58:10 AM »
Why yes, we can't have sensible guns laws because there are people with rap sheets. That makes perfect sense. And also children that are like bad dogs. Thank you for bringing these important points to light.

we do have "sensible laws" on the books.  enforcing them would be a wonderful thing
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #194 on: May 10, 2021, 06:25:38 AM »
  we do have "sensible laws" on the books.  enforcing them would be a wonderful thing

Yes, locking more people up is the answer!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #195 on: May 10, 2021, 07:54:48 AM »

exactly. glad you finally realize we don't need a bunch of states making it more difficult for people to vote, as there already have been sensible voting laws on the books for decades (or even centuries).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #196 on: May 10, 2021, 08:15:10 AM »
Meanwhile ... Happy Effen Mother's Day ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/05/09/colorado-springs-shooting-birthday/?utm_campaign=pdb&utm_content=Monday_05.10.21&utm_source=Campaigner&utm_medium=email

Six people are dead after a gunman entered a birthday party and began shooting inside a mobile home in Colorado Springs before killing himself during the early-morning hours of Mother’s Day, police announced Sunday.

The mass shooting unfolded around midnight Sunday at the Canterbury Mobile Home Park, about eight miles outside downtown Colorado Springs, police said. The gunman, who authorities said was the boyfriend of one of the female victims, has not been publicly identified.

The Colorado Springs Police Department said in a news release that the man “drove to the residence, walked inside and began shooting people at the party before taking his own life.” The shooter’s motive is still being investigated, police said, and the type of firearm used was not specified.

Like rocket, I blame the media. When I'm not giving thoughts and prayers, that is.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #197 on: May 10, 2021, 08:38:11 AM »
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/05/10/chicago-weekend-violence-shootings-violent-crime-may-2021/

Every effing weekend in Chicago.

Actually, probably a fairly quiet weekend by Chicago standards.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #198 on: May 10, 2021, 08:58:33 AM »
“It was Colorado’s worst mass shooting since a gunman killed 10 people at a Boulder supermarket March 22.”

A sentence that actually appeared in an AP report on today's unfortunate exercise of Second Amendment freedoms.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #199 on: May 10, 2021, 08:59:03 AM »
Where's Chicago's mayor condemning black on black violence? So much for BLM, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback