[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2021 Transfer Portal  (Read 272048 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: 2021 Transfer Portal
« Reply #1275 on: May 11, 2021, 05:24:45 PM »
LOL at this thread.

I have watched Martin many times. And would be thrilled to have him here next year. He would be a huge 1 year asset.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1276 on: May 11, 2021, 05:45:07 PM »
LOL at this thread.

I have watched Martin many times. And would be thrilled to have him here next year. He would be a huge 1 year asset.

As have I. He's a Wojo-style guard. I'd like the program to move past that style, otherwise, what was the point?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1277 on: May 11, 2021, 06:15:28 PM »
I wonder how many people here lusting after Martin complained about Markus being selfish or a chucked.  Martin shot 33% a game from 3 the last 2 season and still put up 6 of them a game.  If Markus ever annoyed you, Martin would make you lose your mind.

Nobody is saying Martin isn’t a good scorer, cause he is, but he is “one of the best Sun Devils ever” according to articles about him leaving, but ASU did nothing with him there, and he was far less accomplished than Markus. 

Mac McClung at TTU is probably a pretty good comp

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1278 on: May 11, 2021, 06:49:30 PM »
I wonder how many people here lusting after Martin complained about Markus being selfish or a chucked.  Martin shot 33% a game from 3 the last 2 season and still put up 6 of them a game.  If Markus ever annoyed you, Martin would make you lose your mind.

Nobody is saying Martin isn’t a good scorer, cause he is, but he is “one of the best Sun Devils ever” according to articles about him leaving, but ASU did nothing with him there, and he was far less accomplished than Markus. 

Mac McClung at TTU is probably a pretty good comp

I would’ve loved Markus on MU last year. Would love him on MU next year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1279 on: May 11, 2021, 07:15:24 PM »
I would’ve loved Markus on MU last year. Would love him on MU next year.
Yeah, not for me. That sort of usage isn't healthy for a team, seldom results in a winning team, and for me at least isn't fun to watch. Markus as an individual shooter was something amazing, Markus as an incredibly high usage guy not so much IMO.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1280 on: May 11, 2021, 07:18:12 PM »
Martin shows up and plays hard every play. Would be a very good get.
Bill Walton, shill for the Conference of Champions, loves RM. Shoot to get hot, shoot to stay hot.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1281 on: May 11, 2021, 07:21:56 PM »
I have watched him play many times over the last 4 seasons. I’d take him in a heartbeat. His strengths are what this roster is missing and his weaknesses are what this roster could hide. Plus defensively he gets steals which is what Shaka values and he doesn’t turn the ball over that much.

There’s a reason he’ll be an incredibly sought after player. Maybe you know better than a majority of high major coaches though.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1282 on: May 11, 2021, 07:31:34 PM »
I have watched him play many times over the last 4 seasons. I’d take him in a heartbeat. His strengths are what this roster is missing and his weaknesses are what this roster could hide. Plus defensively he gets steals which is what Shaka values and he doesn’t turn the ball over that much.

There’s a reason he’ll be an incredibly sought after player. Maybe you know better than a majority of high major coaches though.

I know he won’t be a lead player on a high quality HM team. Four years of evidence supports my opinion.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1283 on: May 11, 2021, 11:17:37 PM »
Yeah, not for me. That sort of usage isn't healthy for a team, seldom results in a winning team, and for me at least isn't fun to watch. Markus as an individual shooter was something amazing, Markus as an incredibly high usage guy not so much IMO.

Yeah Markus really wasn’t the problem. He was a two time All American for a reason. He shot as much as he did because he needed to for MU to have any chance to win basketball games. We saw the quality of players we had around him last year when the 3 best players left were not on the roster when Markus was and the team stunk. He single handedly carried us to what would have been an NCAA berth. Even his junior year Sam proved to be a very good high major player, but beyond that the third best player on the team was a guy who, after two more years of being coached up by a Hall of Fame coach, rode the bench for a team that lost in the play in game. Having Ed Morrow and Theo John shoot the ball more and Markus Howard shoot the ball less would have made Marquette much, much worse.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1284 on: May 12, 2021, 08:22:46 AM »
I would say our two biggest gaps right now are experience and scoring. Also, Shaka’s offenses have been up and down.

At this point of the year, you aren’t getting an ideal fit. Kind of like Carlino in Wojo’s first year.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1285 on: May 12, 2021, 08:28:38 AM »
I would say our two biggest gaps right now are experience and scoring. Also, Shaka’s offenses have been up and down.

At this point of the year, you aren’t getting an ideal fit. Kind of like Carlino in Wojo’s first year.

Exactly. Pass on a Carlino-type

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1286 on: May 12, 2021, 08:30:54 AM »

That’s fair. I don’t necessarily think bringing in Carlino set us back any or the development of anyone. But, that’s just a matter of opinion.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1287 on: May 12, 2021, 08:33:10 AM »
Why would we pass on a "Carlino type?"  The current roster lacks for some outside shooting.  Someone to stretch the floor would be quite valuable.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1288 on: May 12, 2021, 09:50:06 AM »

Sigh. The myth that Carlino was a chucker is a poor one. His usage was 24.2% well within normal for the best player on a team. In fact, he didn't even have the highest usage for the team, Duane Wilson did, he was more of a "chucker" at 24.5% usage. Jajuan Johnson wasn't far behind Carlino at 23.4%.

Not only was Carlino's usage normal, his efficiency was extremely good. He shot 42% from 3 (top 120 in the country) and had an eFG% of 53.3% (top 350 in the country). So he wasn't taking that many shots and he was converting them at a high clip, opposite of a chucker.

There seems to be a misconception in this thread that if player takes a lot of shots, he is selfish, doesn't play well with teams, and somehow makes the team worse. There are situations where that happens, but I believe more commonly the "blame" rests with the coach for not surrounding the player with better teammates and for choosing to run everything through a specific player.

If Shaka wants him, I'd love to have Remy Martin or a "Carlino-type" (they are actually very different players). I think if you put Martin on a team with better teammates, you would see his usage go down and his already high assist rate go up. Just because you were used one way at one school doesn't mean you will be used in the same way at the next school.

All that being said, I'm not certain we have a good enough roster to have Martin and not run everything through him.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #1289 on: May 12, 2021, 11:42:27 AM »
UCF transfer Brandon Mahan tells me that he's receiving interest from the following programs:

Kansas
Georgia
Texas Tech
Arkansas
Marquette
Arizona State
Memphis

This guy is a baller. Some stiff competition for sure

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1290 on: May 12, 2021, 11:44:07 AM »
Quincy Guerrier has cut his list to Illinois, Arizona State, Memphis, and Oregon. Oh well.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1291 on: May 12, 2021, 11:44:47 AM »
Quincy Gurrier looks like hes going to Oregon. MU is focusing on a guard for the last spot expected to open.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1292 on: May 12, 2021, 11:45:29 AM »
Sigh. The myth that Carlino was a chucker is a poor one. His usage was 24.2% well within normal for the best player on a team. In fact, he didn't even have the highest usage for the team, Duane Wilson did, he was more of a "chucker" at 24.5% usage. Jajuan Johnson wasn't far behind Carlino at 23.4%.

Not only was Carlino's usage normal, his efficiency was extremely good. He shot 42% from 3 (top 120 in the country) and had an eFG% of 53.3% (top 350 in the country). So he wasn't taking that many shots and he was converting them at a high clip, opposite of a chucker.

There seems to be a misconception in this thread that if player takes a lot of shots, he is selfish, doesn't play well with teams, and somehow makes the team worse. There are situations where that happens, but I believe more commonly the "blame" rests with the coach for not surrounding the player with better teammates and for choosing to run everything through a specific player.

If Shaka wants him, I'd love to have Remy Martin or a "Carlino-type" (they are actually very different players). I think if you put Martin on a team with better teammates, you would see his usage go down and his already high assist rate go up. Just because you were used one way at one school doesn't mean you will be used in the same way at the next school.

All that being said, I'm not certain we have a good enough roster to have Martin and not run everything through him.
In furtherance of your analysis of Matt Carlino, he was voted second team All Big East. He was well liked by his MU teammates.

As for what happened to Carlino, he  had a brief stint in G League . Had four nice years in Europe and for the past two years has been a graduate assistant at TCU
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1293 on: May 12, 2021, 11:57:04 AM »
UCF transfer Brandon Mahan tells me that he's receiving interest from the following programs:

Kansas
Georgia
Texas Tech
Arkansas
Marquette
Arizona State
Memphis

Ugh, I hope we pass.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1294 on: May 12, 2021, 12:06:44 PM »
Ugh, I hope we pass.

I know nothing about the prospect--but curious as to your concerns?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1295 on: May 12, 2021, 12:18:28 PM »
Quincy Guerrier has cut his list to Illinois, Arizona State, Memphis, and Oregon. Oh well.

Green weenie, aina?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #1296 on: May 12, 2021, 01:15:49 PM »
I know nothing about the prospect--but curious as to your concerns?

Assuming he's being sarcastic after the people here stuck up their nose at Remy Martin, a similarly heralded available transfer.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1297 on: May 12, 2021, 02:21:25 PM »

dang. hope garcia is back

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1298 on: May 12, 2021, 04:57:55 PM »

Kansas
Georgia
Texas Tech
Arkansas
Marquette
Arizona State
Memphis

Averaged 12.3 points, 5 Rebs, 1.9 AST.  Shot 45% and Shot 43.8 % from 3 making 1.9 of 4.2 3’s a game

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1299 on: May 12, 2021, 05:38:56 PM »
dang. hope garcia is back
Hope Or Wish List.
1. Garcia is back
2. Land Darryl Morsell
3. Land Brandon Mahan or Remy Martin.
Subject to change. What is your hope or wish list