[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2021 Transfer Portal  (Read 274952 times)

panda

• All American
Re: 2021 Transfer Portal
« Reply #1250 on: May 11, 2021, 11:56:00 AM »
Now thatd be a get that'd make us forget about Carton real real quick.

There are chuckers and then there’s Remy Martin. Just an FYI, there’s no D in his name or game either.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1251 on: May 11, 2021, 12:01:27 PM »
Remy Martin, two time first team Pac 12 guard from Arizona State, has entered the transfer portal. (He was previously recruited by Smart/Texas in high school.)

VSOP baby!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1252 on: May 11, 2021, 12:05:38 PM »
There are chuckers and then there’s Remy Martin. Just an FYI, there’s no D in his name or game either.

Darn.
Maigh Eo for Sam

panda

• All American
« Reply #1253 on: May 11, 2021, 12:13:37 PM »
Darn.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s an exciting player. But more fun to watch as a neutral. He’d be maddening to watch for an entire season.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1254 on: May 11, 2021, 12:14:19 PM »
I'd take Remy Martin over Courvoisier (McCauley).

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1255 on: May 11, 2021, 12:47:11 PM »
Now thatd be a get that'd make us forget about Carton real real quick.
Martin shows up and plays hard every play. Would be a very good get.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1256 on: May 11, 2021, 12:51:13 PM »
I would absolutely take Martin. Very good player. High scoring PG with a TO rate south of 14%.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1257 on: May 11, 2021, 01:14:03 PM »

Yeah agreed. I doubt there's mutual interest from either side, but I would take a pass. He wouldn't tip the scales here early, but would be the exact opposite of the style I'm hoping Shaka is trying to build and would only serve to take time away from the long-term development of the young guards that will hopefully become program staples.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #1258 on: May 11, 2021, 01:15:53 PM »
Remy Martin, two time first team Pac 12 guard from Arizona State, has entered the transfer portal. (He was previously recruited by Smart/Texas in high school.)

Sticking with my predilection for players with great names (it's my number one recruiting criteria), I say sign him immediately.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1259 on: May 11, 2021, 01:47:04 PM »
I would absolutely take Martin. Very good player. High scoring PG with a TO rate south of 14%.

There are some players where you look at their stats and they look like all world players. But then you watch them play live and you’re like, “no wonder this team is trash.” I call it the Ricky Davis syndrome. Exciting player, good to have on your fantasy team, but not a guy to elevate a team over the course of the season. Remy Martin is that guy.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1260 on: May 11, 2021, 01:59:58 PM »

Hope Marquette lands Remy Martin or Darryl Morsell

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1261 on: May 11, 2021, 02:21:48 PM »
There are some players where you look at their stats and they look like all world players. But then you watch them play live and you’re like, “no wonder this team is trash.” I call it the Ricky Davis syndrome. Exciting player, good to have on your fantasy team, but not a guy to elevate a team over the course of the season. Remy Martin is that guy.

I'll take your word for it. I didn't watch a second of Arizona State basketball last season. I caught a few games the proceeding years and thought Remy was a good player with poor teammates. My guess is Remy ends up transferring to a contender and that team is happy to have his services.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1262 on: May 11, 2021, 02:26:19 PM »
I'll take your word for it. I didn't watch a second of Arizona State basketball last season. I caught a few games the proceeding years and thought Remy was a good player with poor teammates. My guess is Remy ends up transferring to a contender and that team is happy to have his services.

He could be a good fit given the right situation - Mcclung at Texas Tech comes to mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1263 on: May 11, 2021, 02:27:53 PM »
I'd take Remy at Marquette in a heartbeat.  Especially because we're going to be a team with a lot of length and athleticism defensively, so we can hide him on their worst perimeter player, and because we're going to be a team that struggles to score, and he can score very well.

My guess is he'll have plenty of interest from programs as good and better than Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #1264 on: May 11, 2021, 02:34:15 PM »
I'd take Remy at Marquette in a heartbeat.  Especially because we're going to be a team with a lot of length and athleticism defensively, so we can hide him on their worst perimeter player, and because we're going to be a team that struggles to score, and he can score very well.

My guess is he'll have plenty of interest from programs as good and better than Marquette.

Got to agree. He's a proven, high volume scoring PG. Gee I wonder what we're missing on this years team?

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #1265 on: May 11, 2021, 02:46:58 PM »
Got to agree. He's a proven, high volume scoring PG. Gee I wonder what we're missing on this years team?

Yeah, there's no way I'd pass him up if he wanted to play for Marquette.  He's a lot like Markus (although a much less accurate 3 pt shooter and with fewer TOs).  He'll have a lot of suitors.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1266 on: May 11, 2021, 03:06:54 PM »
Signing a guy like Martin now would be the same trap Wojo fell into. Chasing individual talent without any long term idea of team and program growth/identity.

Exciting player but it’s not what we need for next year. Morsell on the other hand…….

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1267 on: May 11, 2021, 03:26:09 PM »
Signing a guy like Martin now would be the same trap Wojo fell into. Chasing individual talent without any long term idea of team and program growth/identity.

Exciting player but it’s not what we need for next year. Morsell on the other hand…….

How would Morsell be any different?  He's here for a single year, just like Remy would be.

Shaka would not be falling into any trap Wojo did.  Shaka will have retained a maximum of 5 of Wojo's players (one of who he recruited when he was at Texas), plus two of his recruits, out of a possible 11 returning players and 3 incoming recruits he could have had.  Wojo retained 7 of Buzz's 9 possible returning players, plus one of Buzz's four recruits.

Shaka brought in 3 of his own recruits plus 2 underclass transfers and one upperclass transfer.  Wojo brought in one senior transfer and zero of his own recruits.

Shaka is very clearly building the program from ground zero.  Wojo tried to piece together what was already here, mostly because he had to as nobody he had been recruiting was going to leave the chance to play for K at Duke and follow him to Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1268 on: May 11, 2021, 04:09:49 PM »

100% agreed

panda

• All American
« Reply #1269 on: May 11, 2021, 04:10:54 PM »
How would Morsell be any different?  He's here for a single year, just like Remy would be.

Shaka would not be falling into any trap Wojo did.  Shaka will have retained a maximum of 5 of Wojo's players (one of who he recruited when he was at Texas), plus two of his recruits, out of a possible 11 returning players and 3 incoming recruits he could have had.  Wojo retained 7 of Buzz's 9 possible returning players, plus one of Buzz's four recruits.

Shaka brought in 3 of his own recruits plus 2 underclass transfers and one upperclass transfer.  Wojo brought in one senior transfer and zero of his own recruits.

Shaka is very clearly building the program from ground zero.  Wojo tried to piece together what was already here, mostly because he had to as nobody he had been recruiting was going to leave the chance to play for K at Duke and follow him to Marquette.

Morsell is a well rounded, big, strong team oriented guard who can influence the game on multiple levels.

Martin is a small guard who is indifferent to all aspects of the game except getting as many shots up as possible.

He would be a bad fit for a one year guy with a young team whereas Morsell is the opposite.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1270 on: May 11, 2021, 04:12:41 PM »

Morsell is a 6'5" defensive stud who would probably come in to play a pass-first PG or point forward type role, whereas Martin is a 6' chucker that doesn't play D... do you see a difference now?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1271 on: May 11, 2021, 04:18:41 PM »
Morsell is a 6'5" defensive stud who would probably come in to play a pass-first PG or point forward type role, whereas Martin is a 6' chucker that doesn't play D... do you see a difference now?

Yes.  And given that we have 0 players on the roster (still considering Garcia is not on the roster for now, since he is still entered into the Draft) that have ever averaged over 8 points per game at the high major level, I'll take the guy that has proven he can score if he wants to play here..  At some point, somebody needs to score the basketball.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1272 on: May 11, 2021, 04:27:37 PM »
Yes.  And given that we have 0 players on the roster (still considering Garcia is not on the roster for now, since he is still entered into the Draft) that have ever averaged over 8 points per game at the high major level, I'll take the guy that has proven he can score if he wants to play here..  At some point, somebody needs to score the basketball.

You didn't ask if Morsell could score as well as Martin, you asked how the two would be any different.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1273 on: May 11, 2021, 04:29:07 PM »

You watch him play much last season or did you just take a quick peak at his kenpom page when you saw he was transferring?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1274 on: May 11, 2021, 04:57:19 PM »
You watch him play much last season or did you just take a quick peak at his kenpom page when you saw he was transferring?

I have watched him play many times over the last 4 seasons. I’d take him in a heartbeat. His strengths are what this roster is missing and his weaknesses are what this roster could hide. Plus defensively he gets steals which is what Shaka values and he doesn’t turn the ball over that much.

There’s a reason he’ll be an incredibly sought after player. Maybe you know better than a majority of high major coaches though.

feedback