[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 183154 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #1150 on: July 30, 2021, 09:56:54 PM »
I’ve talked to a lot of Cubs fans today and, to a person, they all sound happy with today’s results.

Indeed bittersweet in that I do wish those guys were better the past 3 years, but appreciated them all, and hope they can have some fun the rest of this season.  A reboot was needed.

Shoot, it's not my responsibility to teach you why  your clubs decision today makes no sense. You can Google that for yourself.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1151 on: July 30, 2021, 09:59:35 PM »
Indeed bittersweet in that I do wish those guys were better the past 3 years, but appreciated them all, and hope they can have some fun the rest of this season.  A reboot was needed.

Shoot, it's not my responsibility to teach you why  your clubs decision today makes no sense. You can Google that for yourself.

It’s their club, not mine.

Why would I need to google it or listen to as you say, pundits? I don’t. I know what they are doing because I know the people doing it and why they are doing it. I’ve even in part explained some if it you. But you seem to prefer pundit hot takes instead of specifics. That isn’t my thing. Again people can agree or disagree (I’m sure there is some of both) with the strategy.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 10:15:12 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1152 on: July 30, 2021, 10:07:52 PM »
I’ve talked to a lot of Cubs fans today and, to a person, they all sound happy with today’s results.

Great. Maybe pass that along to some of the Cub fans in this thread and others out there that seem to find it a challenging baseball day for them.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1153 on: July 30, 2021, 10:36:40 PM »
Great. Maybe pass that along to some of the Cub fans in this thread and others out there that seem to find it a challenging baseball day for them.

LMAO.  Never change Shoot, never change.  Is it exhausting to always be absolutely correct and beyond reproach about anything and everything, all while condescendingly patting everyone on the head that dares disagree?  I'd love to know your vitamin regiment.

Rizzo hitting a HR for the Yankees straight away was REALLY weird to see for a lot of people I imahine.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 10:42:13 PM by JWags85 »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1154 on: July 30, 2021, 11:00:50 PM »
LMAO.  Never change Shoot, never change.  Is it exhausting to always be absolutely correct and beyond reproach about anything and everything, all while condescendingly patting everyone on the head that dares disagree?  I'd love to know your vitamin regiment.

Rizzo hitting a HR for the Yankees straight away was REALLY weird to see for a lot of people I imahine.

This was your quote:

“Ledecky is one of the biggest hyped disappointments of the games.”

These are some of Ledecky’s results:

1500 Gold

800 Gold

400 Silver, 3rd fastest time ever.

4x200 Relay, Silver. 2nd fastest time ever. Come from behind anchor leg.

When this gets pointed out to you in response to your (frequent) disappointment, you sarcastically say the other person is always correct. Never change etc..rinse repeat.

(With the baseball topic, I explained someone else’s strategy and why. I never gave my personal opinion on the topic. That’s something you mistakenly read into the posts in your haste.)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1155 on: July 30, 2021, 11:09:14 PM »

Adorable.

As a Cubs fan, the past couple of days sucked  but needed to happen.

Cards probably should have sold. Enjoy Goldy and Arenado’s expensive but declining production. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1156 on: July 30, 2021, 11:17:47 PM »
This was your quote:

“Ledecky is one of the biggest hyped disappointments of the games.”

These are some of Ledecky’s results:

1500 Gold

800 Gold

400 Silver, 3rd fastest time ever.

4x200 Relay, Silver. 2nd fastest time ever. Come from behind anchor leg.

When this gets pointed out to you in response to your (frequent) disappointment, you sarcastically say the other person is always correct. Never change etc..rinse repeat.

(With the baseball topic, I explained someone else’s strategy and why. I never gave my personal opinion on the topic. That’s something you mistakenly read into the posts in your haste.)

This is the MLB thread?

Not to mention the statement you've so kindly quoted was made before all but one of those races occurred and she had finished 2nd and 5th in finals while NBC kept hyping history chasing and other buzzwords.  And I never said anything sarcastic in response to my comments about Ledecky, but you do you.

Seems like you're a condescending know it all who loves the look of his own ample paragraphs.  But what do I know, im just sarcastic and frequently disappointed, desperately emotional tribal fan.  I should learn to be quiet and bow to the generosity of knowledge you share with all of us, none of it based in anything but sublime facts, none in haste and simplistic opinions like all my posts.  Look forward to you digging up some more of my posts from other threads unrelated to this earlier in the summer to prove more points.

Cheers to the Cards inevitable WC berth!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1157 on: July 30, 2021, 11:21:39 PM »

Indeed! This should be an amazing end to the season seeing them surpass the Giants/padres/dodgers to get the wild card now that they have their innings eaters in place!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1158 on: July 30, 2021, 11:27:00 PM »
Adorable.

As a Cubs fan, the past couple of days sucked  but needed to happen.

Cards probably should have sold. Enjoy Goldy and Arenado’s expensive but declining production.

Someone posted that everyone they knew were happy with the results. I posted that several people here weren’t exactly thrilled with what eventually came to be. I never gave my opinion of it. I never poked fun at the Cubs or Cub fans about it. I’m able to like what I like and enjoy what I enjoy just fine. I don’t need to put something or someone else down to lift myself up.

I’ve lived in Chicago, Milwaukee (among other places) and I’ve enjoyed my time in all of those places.

To answer the other part, I think many Cardinal observers would have preferred a few starting pitching additions and another bat prior to the season if you took a poll. As for selling, and/or tanking, this group has owned the team since 1996. They aren’t going to do that. And, it would ‘t go over well. The Cardinals win a lot and have a lot of history, but they rely upon certain things in order to be an MLB team that has revenue and spending greater than their market size would suggest.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 11:40:04 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1159 on: July 30, 2021, 11:39:00 PM »
This is the MLB thread?

Not to mention the statement you've so kindly quoted was made before all but one of those races occurred and she had finished 2nd and 5th in finals while NBC kept hyping history chasing and other buzzwords.  And I never said anything sarcastic in response to my comments about Ledecky, but you do you.

Seems like you're a condescending know it all who loves the look of his own ample paragraphs.  But what do I know, im just sarcastic and frequently disappointed, desperately emotional tribal fan.  I should learn to be quiet and bow to the generosity of knowledge you share with all of us, none of it based in anything but sublime facts, none in haste and simplistic opinions like all my posts.  Look forward to you digging up some more of my posts from other threads unrelated to this earlier in the summer to prove more points.

I didn’t make the statement that she was an overhyped disappointment. You did.

She wasn’t overhyped and she wasn’t a disappointment. (obviously) And others posted to point that out to you as well.

No one said you made sarcastic comments about Ledecky. It’s what you do with others when something such as the above example is pointed out to you. It’s called gaslighting, which is to deflect, distract, change the subject because the subject at hand isn’t working out for you. It can be an effective (but often frowned upon) strategy in some situations. That’s why some people use it to get out of a certain situation or to change the subject they don’t like.

By the way, never mind her gold here, gold there, record here, record there….2nd isn’t a bad thing. 2nd is good. 2nd isn’t overhyped. In this case 2nd was the 3rd fastest time ever. Afterwards she was thrilled about it. Good for her.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 11:40:49 PM by shoothoops »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1160 on: July 31, 2021, 06:42:08 AM »
To be fair, the Cardinals really had nothing to sell.  Well maybe a bad Matt Carpenter, but they have two guys locked up on contracts that go on for years that already look questionable.  I don't view their acquisition of Lester and Happ as any sort of grand organizational strategy, but simply the better of options that actually weren't very good.  Two low risk additions even though the chances of making the playoffs are minimal.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1161 on: July 31, 2021, 07:05:03 AM »
Maybe the veterans help their younger guys too.

Cubs fans, is there a chance Rizzo signs back with the Cubs?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1162 on: July 31, 2021, 07:57:12 AM »
Maybe the veterans help their younger guys too.

Cubs fans, is there a chance Rizzo signs back with the Cubs?

Time to move on.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1163 on: July 31, 2021, 08:47:23 AM »
Meanwhile, the division leaders are on a nice roll!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1164 on: July 31, 2021, 09:01:42 AM »

Word.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1165 on: July 31, 2021, 09:40:03 AM »
Larissa clowns himself again last night after Abrue got hit.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1166 on: July 31, 2021, 10:14:10 AM »

They are a lot of fun to watch. My gut says they still need some good luck to get past the big boys out West, but their pitching gives them a lot of room for error. They really just need their offense to be the middle ground between where they started the year and where it currently sits.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1167 on: July 31, 2021, 10:44:30 AM »
I’m matter of factly saying what that was. Obviously they have various holes and needs to improve their team.

The Cardinals don’t tank as an organizational philosophy. They have had one losing season in over 20 years. The Cubs will have done it multiple times in that stretch. There are different ways to do things.

They have a prospect list of players that they are, and are not willing to move. They have a budget. They did have one deal that did fall through today.

Suppose they can’t always fleece Colorado in trades. They could have signed the home town kid (Scherzer)
when he was last a free agent and wanted to go there, but they didn’t want to spend that level of money. They had a deal today that fell through.

Otherwise they will try to compete with what they have and what they get back from injury, for a wild card spot until while not sacrificing 2022.

The cards gave away two baseball players with fully intact limbs for JA Happ

If you are in any way trying to say that was a intelligent decision, you should probably start following baseball.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 10:49:03 AM by PGsHeroes32 »
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1168 on: July 31, 2021, 11:04:00 AM »
They are a lot of fun to watch. My gut says they still need some good luck to get past the big boys out West, but their pitching gives them a lot of room for error. They really just need their offense to be the middle ground between where they started the year and where it currently sits.

If there’s enough injuries, could be the year Milwaukee gets lucky.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1169 on: July 31, 2021, 11:23:13 AM »
The cards gave away two baseball players with fully intact limbs for JA Happ

If you are in any way trying to say that was a intelligent decision, you should probably start following baseball.

Not sure how many times I can answer the same question. I explained several times what they are doing and why. I never gave my opinion of it. It’s pretty easy and straight forward to understand.
The Twins and Cardinals did talk last month about Berrios. The Twins asking price was too high. Cards said no. Eventually the Twins obtained two top 20 MLB prospects for him. One was Austin Martin. Good player.

If you are a Twins fan, I would ignore a few of the recent baseball pundits about Austin’s (power). He’ll be fine. Just getting started. Has the OPS up to (.852) this past month. He’s a high average, very good line drive hitter all fields inside out ball attacker. On base monster, gap to gap, extremely versatile, and he’ll K less than a 100. He can play anywhere except catcher, though much of his past playing experience has been SS, 3B, CF. If he plays one spot long enough, he’ll do it well. He has some similarities (and some differences) with Jordan Lawlar who was 6th overall this year. (Martin 5th overall last year)

Martin will get mentioned sometimes with Jordan Lawlar signed for a million over-slot with Arizona ($6,713,300) this year. AZ is out of pool money but they can still possibly sign Davis Diaz. Corbs would probably reference Jeter the most with Lawlar.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 03:09:33 PM by shoothoops »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1170 on: July 31, 2021, 12:45:25 PM »
It’s almost certain that the Playoffs will be the NL West winner takes on the winner of the wild card, which will be 2nd and 3rd in the NL West. So the Brewers will probably just have to beat the Mets to make an NLCS. Then hope to ride Woody, Burnes, and Peralta to 4 wins in 7 low scoring games in the NLCS. Won’t be the favorites, but it’s possible.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1171 on: July 31, 2021, 12:57:05 PM »
It’s almost certain that the Playoffs will be the NL West winner takes on the winner of the wild card, which will be 2nd and 3rd in the NL West. So the Brewers will probably just have to beat the Mets to make an NLCS. Then hope to ride Woody, Burnes, and Peralta to 4 wins in 7 low scoring games in the NLCS. Won’t be the favorites, but it’s possible.

It IS possible.  But this year is already shaping up fantastically with an expected 4th straight playoff appearance for the smallest market in MLB in the sport that is the least balanced financially of all.  They do more with less than any team in baseball.  It's why I ALWAYS cheer for the small market teams over the bloated behemoths with unlimited budgets.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1172 on: July 31, 2021, 01:42:24 PM »
It IS possible.  But this year is already shaping up fantastically with an expected 4th straight playoff appearance for the smallest market in MLB in the sport that is the least balanced financially of all.  They do more with less than any team in baseball.  It's why I ALWAYS cheer for the small market teams over the bloated behemoths with unlimited budgets.

I think the Rays would beg to differ about doing more with less and in a tougher division.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1173 on: July 31, 2021, 02:41:32 PM »
I think the Rays would beg to differ about doing more with less and in a tougher division.

Don't think anyone expected the Cubs and cards to be sub .500 teams this year.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1174 on: July 31, 2021, 06:24:39 PM »
To be fair, the Cardinals really had nothing to sell.  Well maybe a bad Matt Carpenter, but they have two guys locked up on contracts that go on for years that already look questionable.  I don't view their acquisition of Lester and Happ as any sort of grand organizational strategy, but simply the better of options that actually weren't very good.  Two low risk additions even though the chances of making the playoffs are minimal.

But that's the thing, they have like 6 games they can afford to lose by the end of the year before being virtually eliminated.  This wasn't some "best of bad situation" , this was just what they decided to do, and it won't make a difference to their situation.