[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 183058 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #175 on: April 03, 2021, 02:25:54 PM »
Jack Leiter’s attempt to not give up a hit in 3 straight SEC starts came to an end in the middle of a start vs LSU last night. 20.2 straight SEC innings without allowing a hit, and striking out 39. Improves to 7-0, 0.22 E.R.A. with 71 K’s in 41 innings.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #176 on: April 03, 2021, 03:18:05 PM »
Jack Leiter’s attempt to not give up a hit in 3 straight SEC starts came to an end in the middle of a start vs LSU last night. 20.2 straight SEC innings without allowing a hit, and striking out 39. Improves to 7-0, 0.22 E.R.A. with 71 K’s in 41 innings.

Pretty amazing. Did I hear the announcer say he was drafted in the 20th round last year? I'm guessing he'll go a little higher this time!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #177 on: April 03, 2021, 04:04:06 PM »
Pretty amazing. Did I hear the announcer say he was drafted in the 20th round last year? I'm guessing he'll go a little higher this time!

Leiter would have been a 1st round pick out of high school but he told everyone he was going to college. The Yankees drafted him in the 20th round anyway. In college baseball you have to either go pro out of high school, or commit to 3 years before being eligible again for the draft, or you must be 21 years old. Last year was his first year, a shortened season where he was a midweek starter. This is his first full college season.

Two of his teammates did the same thing by going to college. Kumar Rocker is their #1 starter. He decided to go to college. And they also have a 17 year old Freshman pitcher, Christian Little that would have been a strong draft pick as well.

Rocker is in his 3rd season. He was on a National Title Team as Freshman two years ago. He is expected to be #1 pick in the draft by Pittsburgh, or close to it.

Leiter will have to see where he is at and what he wants to do as he will be 21 in late April, and, therefore draft eligible this summer, despite not having had as many college seasons.

College baseball is interesting because when you recruit, many kids will commit but then go pro instead when they get drafted out of high school. Others choose college first vs going minor league route. Leiter’s college team has a winning track record and culture where they are able to get some good players to go to college first, and enjoy the whole college experience and develop. They have a high school shortstop commit out of Dallas Jesuit who will be a top few pick in first round of draft.(Jordan Lawlar) He has a big decision to make. You get some but not others.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 05:47:21 PM by shoothoops »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #178 on: April 03, 2021, 04:04:34 PM »
I have all kinds of concerns about the White Sox defense. And that’s without Eloy in the field.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #179 on: April 03, 2021, 05:31:27 PM »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2021, 05:35:55 PM »
Leiter would have been a 1st round pick out of high school but he told everyone he was going to college. The Yankees drafted him in the 20th round anyway. In college baseball you have to either go pro out of high school, or commit to 3 years before being eligible again for the draft, or you must be 21 years old. Last year was his first year, a shortened season where he was a midweek starter. This is his first full college season.

Two of his teammates did the same thing by going to college. Kumar Rocker is their #1 starter. He decided to go to college. And they also have a 17 year old Freshman pitcher, Christian Little that would have been a strong draft pick as well.

Rocker is in his 3rd season. He was on a National Title Team as Freshman two years ago. He is expected to be #1 pick in the draft by Pittsburgh, or close to it.

Leiter will have to see where he is at and what he wants to do as he will be 21 in late April, and, therefore draft eligible this summer, despite not having had as many college seasons.

College baseball is interesting because when you recruit, many kids will commit but then go pro instead when they get drafted out of high school. Others choose college first vs going minor league route. Leiter’s college team has a winning track record and culture where they are able to get some good players to go to college first, and enjoy the whole college experience and develop. They have a high school shortstop commit out of Dallas Jesuit who will be a top few pick in first round of draft.(Jordan Lawler) He will likely go pro. You get some but not others.

Yes, I like the relative freedom college baseball players have.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #181 on: April 03, 2021, 05:40:09 PM »
Reds' and Cardinals' dugouts emptied

https://mobile.twitter.com/BallySportsCIN/status/1378464080445505540

Not much there. Wild Pitch close play at plate, Castellanos stood over the pitcher who was on the ground (Woodford) after sliding for tag, and woofed after being safe. (He was HBP by this pitcher earlier) and opposing team isn’t going to let you stand over a player and woof. Player gets up, Castellanos backs up a mile. Benches clear. Castellanos only ejection.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 05:49:09 PM by shoothoops »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2021, 06:00:55 PM »
Guy's I heard of this new game that a fellow named Doubleday came up with it's really the tops! One young man takes a small ball that is quite hard and stitched together and pitches it toward another young man who waits with a large stick, (some of the boys are calling them 'bats'). In any case, if the sticksman (you know, 'batsman' does roll off the tongue quite better) is able to strike the ball and keep it between two lines of play he attempts to round a series of bases, rounding all of the bases scores a point. It's all the rage. We really ought find a place to discuss this wild new game!

Report it to the mods.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2021, 07:19:50 PM »
Not much there. Wild Pitch close play at plate, Castellanos stood over the pitcher who was on the ground (Woodford) after sliding for tag, and woofed after being safe. (He was HBP by this pitcher earlier) and opposing team isn’t going to let you stand over a player and woof. Player gets up, Castellanos backs up a mile. Benches clear. Castellanos only ejection.

That’s a hilariously generous Cards tinted view.  Castellanos talked smack, and started to walk to the dugout, Molina came after him cause something something unwritten rules.  Both the ump and India pull/push Castellanos away.  I get why Castellanos was tossed, but to act like he ran away, especially from a pitcher, is just not true.  He was fired up from scoring, not incensed and wanting to scrap, why would he run back in there.  The Cards and Reds running in who weren’t involved in the play are more ridiculous.

This is also why baseball is stupid.  Nobody can take being flexed on or shown up.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #184 on: April 03, 2021, 07:23:15 PM »
I hate the Cards. But that was ridiculous of Castellanos.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 07:31:50 PM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #185 on: April 03, 2021, 07:30:32 PM »
I hate the Cards. But that was ridiculous or Castellanos.

It was totally dumb.  I liked him handing the ball back after getting plunked, that was funny. But flexing was dumb, especially in a game that wasn’t close.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2021, 07:30:52 PM »
That’s a hilariously generous Cards tinted view.  Castellanos talked smack, and started to walk to the dugout, Molina came after him cause something something unwritten rules.  Both the ump and India pull/push Castellanos away.  I get why Castellanos was tossed, but to act like he ran away, especially from a pitcher, is just not true.  He was fired up from scoring, not incensed and wanting to scrap, why would he run back in there.  The Cards and Reds running in who weren’t involved in the play are more ridiculous.

This is also why baseball is stupid.  Nobody can take being flexed on or shown up.

Castellanos overreacted to getting hit by the pitch earlier in the game. After getting hit by the pitch, he overreacted by tossing the ball back to the pitcher. Later when scoring from 3rd on a wild pitch, he stood over the pitcher (who slid in for the tag) and woofed at him.
"Why would he go back in there?" Well because he was the one who created something out of nothing. When others were not on the ground, or standing, or approaching, he wasn't all that interested in woofing any longer.

No team is going to put up with that.

After the game, a not so woofy Castellanos said, "That guy (Molina) could have punched me in the face and I still would have asked him for a signed jersey."

Your obsession and angst with all things St. Louis continues.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 07:46:37 PM by shoothoops »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #187 on: April 03, 2021, 08:05:14 PM »
Your obsession and angst with all things St. Louis continues.

;D ;D ;D I’ll accept that if you acknowledge the same holds true for you on the polar opposite end of the spectrum. You might as well be on the tourism board

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #188 on: April 03, 2021, 08:11:52 PM »
Arietta had a great day for the Cubs. Whose on Wades alert?  ;D

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #189 on: April 03, 2021, 08:18:30 PM »
Well clearly Jake got back with his steroid plug when he returned to the North Side

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #190 on: April 03, 2021, 09:05:36 PM »
I’ll have whatever Yermin is having...good lord what an MLB start.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #191 on: April 03, 2021, 09:08:06 PM »
;D ;D ;D I’ll accept that if you acknowledge the same holds true for you on the polar opposite end of the spectrum. You might as well be on the tourism board

Someone posted about a baseball bench clearing incident. I happened to see it. I said there wasn’t much to it. Castellanos multiple times created something out of nothing, until others decided to take him up on his offer. Then he backed down. Castellanos was the only player ejected from the game. After the game, Castellanos was appreciative that a specific opposing player didn’t punch him in the face, and he wanted a signed jersey of that opposing player.

Someone else (BLM) posted that they hate the Cardinals, but confirmed what I had said about the incident.

Somehow this is a “hilariously generous Cards tinted view” and on the “tourism board.” New example, same thing.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 09:38:05 PM by shoothoops »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #192 on: April 03, 2021, 09:43:01 PM »
Yea and the Tennis thread is a vibrant back and forth and not you just talking to yourself.  You’re a knowledgeable guy but you have no self awareness. All good  8-)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #193 on: April 04, 2021, 05:41:56 AM »
I really dislike the extra inning rule. So little league.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #194 on: April 04, 2021, 08:24:20 AM »
As a guy who dislikes 4- and 5-hour baseball games, especially in the regular season, I love the runner-on-second rule. No worse than shootouts in hockey and soccer, which have become widely accepted after initially being criticized.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #195 on: April 04, 2021, 10:10:55 AM »
As a guy who dislikes 4- and 5-hour baseball games, especially in the regular season, I love the runner-on-second rule. No worse than shootouts in hockey and soccer, which have become widely accepted after initially being criticized.

I agree the game today is too long. As a kid my dad or uncle would takes us to a 1 pm Sunday double header and we be home by 8pm including the 1 hour train ride home.  The game has slowed down because of the revolving door of relief pitchers. No one pitches complete games anymore. Add the runner-on-second rule, but don't add the DH rule for the NL seems so haphazard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #196 on: April 04, 2021, 10:44:30 AM »
I agree the game today is too long. As a kid my dad or uncle would takes us to a 1 pm Sunday double header and we be home by 8pm including the 1 hour train ride home.  The game has slowed down because of the revolving door of relief pitchers. No one pitches complete games anymore. Add the runner-on-second rule, but don't add the DH rule for the NL seems so haphazard.

I actually like one league having the DH and the other not, but it's not a deal-breaker for me and I could definitely see having DH in both leagues. It would make sense.

I can't remember the last time I turned on a ballgame at the first pitch and watched until the final out. Heck, or even the last time I watched 3 straight innings of a game.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #197 on: April 04, 2021, 10:54:09 AM »

The first game with the new rule I watched went to the 13th as both teams scored in the 10th and then neither in the 11th and then both scored in the 12th.  It was kind of hilarious.  But by an large it gets things moving and forces aggressive decisions which I appreciate

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #198 on: April 04, 2021, 12:06:05 PM »
Speed up the game? Why not load the bases every inning; however each team would only get 1 out per inning. Game would be over in less than hour and except for the home team with a lead every batter would be guaranteed an at bat.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #199 on: April 04, 2021, 01:09:18 PM »
Speed up the game? Why not load the bases every inning; however each team would only get 1 out per inning. Game would be over in less than hour and except for the home team with a lead every batter would be guaranteed an at bat.

Sure. Or just flip a coin at home plate before the game and the winner gets the W.

feedback