collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 182305 times)

jficke13

• All American
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2021, 07:46:00 PM »
dude. seriously.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2021, 07:47:07 PM »
Please provide a link of Stacey Abrams thinking this is "stupid," as all I could find was this:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/stacey-abrams-reacts-mlb-decision-move-all-star-game-out-of-georgia

Stacey Abrams applauds MLB's decision to move All-Star Game out of Georgia

The Georgia law is obviously racist, obviously trying to solve a problem that didn't exist. The Republican secretary of state said 2020 was the best-run election Georgia ever had. But sure ... let's deny people from giving water to Black folks who have to wait in line to vote.

The NBA has worked on humanitarian issues in China, far more than most U.S. corporations have. But there is still plenty of work to do, yes.
The problem the law is trying to solve definitely does exist, at least in the 2020 election.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2021, 07:55:16 PM »
Obviously?

Because Biden, Abrams and others say it is andimmediately resorting to the R word? The law was made to give more access to voting than it did previously. It’s disingenuous to just call something racist without justification and the truth is that the law expands voting access. 

I’m glad I’m entitled to my opinion, as we all are. But at least in this case, I’m basing my opinion on what the law says and not some emotional talking points from The NY Times, etc and repeated by those who those who don’t want to read what the law actually says if it doesn’t fit the day’s narrative.

Go Warriors.

Yes obviously.  It limits the number of drop boxes per county to a per capita amount that will cause metro Atlanta to lose 2/3 of its drop boxes.

It eliminates mobile voting sites - extensively used in Fulton County last year.

Plus numerous other provisions meant to limit the voter turnout in the largest Georgia counties (ie, where most of the black people. live.)

You are entitled to your opinion.  But it is an ignorant one because you are being lead around by people who feel that limiting people's participation is the only way to win.  So either stay ignorant...or be smarter.  Which will you choose?

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #153 on: April 02, 2021, 08:09:08 PM »
I’d like to see sides make a meaningful effort to try and improve ease/accessibility/etc... of getting IDs. I think having an ID to vote is straight forward and should be opposed by no one. The common refrains of that being discriminatory or unfair to the disenfranchised point to even bigger issue for me. Work towards something that will have a truly impactful result on the lives of those who live in the grey areas, beyond just a political play with voting.

Doing that would knock the legs out from the strongest and easiest tent pole of support from a vote like this.  Arguing about IDs and giving granola bars and water bottles in line overshadow the far more subtle and misunderstood aspects that actually impact far more votes than the above

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2021, 08:11:38 PM »
I’d like to see sides make a meaningful effort to try and improve ease/accessibility/etc... of getting IDs. I think having an ID to vote is straight forward and should be opposed by no one. The common refrains of that being discriminatory or unfair to the disenfranchised point to even bigger issue for me. Work towards something that will have a truly impactful result on the lives of those who live in the grey areas, beyond just a political play with voting.

Doing that would knock the legs out from the strongest and easiest tent pole of support from a vote like this.  Arguing about IDs and giving granola bars and water bottles in line overshadow the far more subtle and misunderstood aspects that actually impact far more votes than the above
Correct me if I’m wrong Batman, but aren’t State issued IDs free in Georgia? 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 08:18:12 PM by Lighthouse 84 »
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 02, 2021, 08:15:36 PM »

Voter ID is something I have come around on.

But blatant attempts to lilmit participation are ludicrous.  We should be expanding participation by making easier for people to vote.  Trying to win elections by making it harder for people to vote means that you are focusing on the wrong thing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 02, 2021, 08:16:18 PM »

How difficult is it to get an ID in Georgia and how is it different than other states? 

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #157 on: April 02, 2021, 08:26:20 PM »
You guys really know how to make the MLB thread a real blast.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #158 on: April 02, 2021, 08:31:05 PM »
How difficult is it to get an ID in Georgia and how is it different than other states? 
Correct me if I’m wrong Batman, but aren’t State issues IDs free in Georgia?

I was speaking in totality.  I’ve heard it in IL, in WI, in other states, and now GA.  Whether it be cost or access hours or whatnot. Giving the benefit of the doubt that it is indeed a systemic issue for substantial groups of people, that should be tackled head on instead of being justified away as unnecessary and discriminatory.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #159 on: April 02, 2021, 08:55:51 PM »
I like baseball and would enjoy discussing baseball. Anyone know where I might do so?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2021, 08:59:57 PM »
Fair enough.  My apologies.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2021, 09:00:08 PM »
Correct me if I’m wrong Batman, but aren’t State issued IDs free in Georgia?
You are right........and wrong. If you can provide proof of valid voter registration they are free. If not they are $32.

I’m guessing that the majority of those needing a state ID are going to have a hard time with the voter registration requirement.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2021, 09:51:59 PM »
I like baseball and would enjoy discussing baseball. Anyone know where I might do so?

Bauer is really dealin' on the mound tonight. And pimpin' as he strolls back to the dugout.

No hitter thru 6.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2021, 11:21:33 PM »
The problem the law is trying to solve definitely does exist, at least in the 2020 election.

Excellent point.

The problem was that what Georgia’s own Republican Secretary of State called a fair and fraud-free election resulted in far more Black folks voting than one party cared to see.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2021, 06:59:03 AM »
Excellent point.

The problem was that what Georgia’s own Republican Secretary of State called a fair and fraud-free election resulted in far more Black folks voting than one party cared to see.
Which led to the wrong team winning for this first time in forever.

That’s the problem.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2021, 10:34:36 AM »
Maybe the NCAA should follow MLBs lead and strip MU of its National Championship while we're at it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2021, 10:40:11 AM »
Is it obviously racist because it closes the polls at 5:00 pm on Election Day?  That can’t be it, since the polls are open until 7 and if you’re in line at 7 you still get to vote.

Is it obviously racist because it eliminates drop boxes?  That can’t be it, since drop boxes are added so that all counties in Georgia now will have them when they didn’t have them in every county before this law.

Is it obviously racist because no one can bring food or water to someone in line?  That can’t be it either, since the law allows people to bring their own food and water, order it to be delivered, have family or friends bring it to them, allows water stations to exist and only prevents electioneering. 

Maybe it’s obviously racist because they cut down the number of days for early voting. That can’t be it either since Georgia increased the number of days for early voting.

Is it obviously racist because blacks don’t favor voter ID? That can’t be since almost 70% of black people favor voter ID.

It’s obviously racist because The NY Times and other media says it is. It’s obviously racist because Biden didn’t read the law or what is in it, rather relying on repeating talking points that fit his narrative. It’s obviously racist because Delta Airlines pops off about it for the same reason before admitting they hadn’t read the actual law.

Those who want to criticize the law can criticize it. But at least do it in a truthful way.

I won't completely derail the baseball topic here, but this really is a load of disingenuous crap.

Also, fun to see some of the biggest whiners about "cancel culture" calling for the cancellation of MLB's antitrust exemption and tax benefits for corporations that don't fall in line.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2021, 10:40:46 AM »
Maybe the NCAA should follow MLBs lead and strip MU of its National Championship while we're at it.

Tell me you don't get it without telling me you don't get it.

• All American
« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2021, 11:28:01 AM »
I won't completely derail the baseball topic here, but this really is a load of disingenuous crap.

Also, fun to see some of the biggest whiners about "cancel culture" calling for the cancellation of MLB's antitrust exemption and tax benefits for corporations that don't fall in line.

Which...is actually a good thing?

(I’m so confused...)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2021, 11:34:48 AM »
Tell me you don't get it without telling me you don't get it.

Did I strike a nerve?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #170 on: April 03, 2021, 12:01:13 PM »
Did I strike a nerve?

Do you have a grandson named Owen?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2021, 01:56:02 PM »
Guy's I heard of this new game that a fellow named Doubleday came up with it's really the tops! One young man takes a small ball that is quite hard and stitched together and pitches it toward another young man who waits with a large stick, (some of the boys are calling them 'bats'). In any case, if the sticksman (you know, 'batsman' does roll off the tongue quite better) is able to strike the ball and keep it between two lines of play he attempts to round a series of bases, rounding all of the bases scores a point. It's all the rage. We really ought find a place to discuss this wild new game!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2021, 02:01:09 PM »
Guy's I heard of this new game that a fellow named Doubleday came up with it's really the tops! One young man takes a small ball that is quite hard and stitched together and pitches it toward another young man who waits with a large stick, (some of the boys are calling them 'bats'). In any case, if the sticksman (you know, 'batsman' does roll off the tongue quite better) is able to strike the ball and keep it between two lines of play he attempts to round a series of bases, rounding all of the bases scores a point. It's all the rage. We really ought find a place to discuss this wild new game!

You could post about an actual baseball topic instead of complaining (again)  about the lack of baseball topics.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #173 on: April 03, 2021, 02:02:15 PM »
You could post about an actual baseball topic instead of complaining (again)  about the lack of baseball topics.

You could keep tempting fate by talking about politics and trying to get the thread locked. Ya know, whatever works for ya.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #174 on: April 03, 2021, 02:05:52 PM »
You could keep tempting fate by talking about politics and trying to get the thread locked. Ya know, whatever works for ya.

Sir, this is a baseball thread.