[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 182278 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2021, 01:15:28 PM »

What would the scenarios be here?

Stolen 3rd and stolen home
Stolen 3rd and a WP or PB
Two sac flies
Stolen 3rd and sac fly

Missing any?

Yeah basically getting to the 10th at 0-0 (obviously). Then some kind of sacrifice/fielder’s choice/stolen base to get the runner over to third with less than 2 outs. Then a sac fly or a squeeze.

I believe a past ball/wild pitch would put an error on the board? Forget how those are scored though. But if so that’d eliminate the perfect game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2021, 01:31:52 PM »
A passed ball or wild pitch only ruins a perfect game if it's on a third strike and it allows the batter to safely reach 1st base. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2021, 02:05:50 PM »
Like I said... super unplugged.

No prob. I have gone thru the same thing - just not for that long :)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2021, 02:05:59 PM »
MLB moves the All Star game out of Atlanta.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2021, 02:13:11 PM »

What would the scenarios be here?

Stolen 3rd and stolen home
Stolen 3rd and a WP or PB
Two sac flies
Stolen 3rd and sac fly

Missing any?
A pitcher could “balk in a run” with a runner at 3rd.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #130 on: April 02, 2021, 02:27:26 PM »

Absolutely the right move, but I feel for the Atlanta Braves organization. They get the punishment that should be reserved for others.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 02, 2021, 02:31:37 PM »

Good.

In his statement, Manfred said MLB "fundamentally supports voting rights for all Americans and opposes restrictions to the ballot box." Manfred said MLB would continue to celebrate the memory of Hank Aaron, who died in January, during the All-Star festivities.

Had to do it. There was absolutely no way to celebrate Hank Aaron's life in a state that proudly resurrected Jim Crow voting laws.

Similar pressure got NC to dump its horrendous anti-LBGTQ law a few years ago, and also got Arizona to acknowledge MLK Day.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 02, 2021, 03:14:18 PM »
Okay, I've been crazy unplugged and the first game I caught of the post-pandemic era was Brewers-Twins yesterday, so I was mildly confused by (and then vaguely recalled discussions about) the "runner starts on 2nd" thing in extra innings.

My initial reactions were 1. It is going to increase the "home field" advantage. and 2. It's going to make K-dominant RPs extraordinarily valuable (more so than usual). Hader Kd the side around allowing the free runner to advance to 3rd on a wild pitch. Brewers won on a single and a fielders choice (their free runner was Cain so he had good speed, but it didn't exactly take a dominant offensive burst in the 10th to scratch a run across). 

I think I like it.  Extra inning games can be horrible. I do think it adds excitement in a 'small ball' way during the OT. For 30 minutes yesterday, Brewer baseball was edge of seat exciting.

I do have a question.  Can a pinch runner be inserted into the 'last out' slot in the batting order? Obviously you would never sub a guy like Cain out but some slow catcher might be ripe for replacement.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #133 on: April 02, 2021, 03:31:52 PM »
I thought it was lame at first. However, it is nice to lower the chances of blowing out your entire bullpen for the rest of the series.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2021, 03:48:42 PM »
I do have a question.  Can a pinch runner be inserted into the 'last out' slot in the batting order? Obviously you would never sub a guy like Cain out but some slow catcher might be ripe for replacement.

You can use a pinch runner - I remember KC used Brett Phillips in a game last year.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to keep a roster spot for a guy who's a really fast baserunner just to use in every 10th inning.  It could be worth a few wins a year.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #135 on: April 02, 2021, 04:39:13 PM »
You can use a pinch runner - I remember KC used Brett Phillips in a game last year.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to keep a roster spot for a guy who's a really fast baserunner just to use in every 10th inning.  It could be worth a few wins a year.

I'm not sure a full roster spot would need to be dedicated but as you construct your bench keeping speed in mind makes sense.  Another dumb question.  If the pitcher allows that runner to score, does it count against his ERA or is it unearned?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2021, 04:50:09 PM »
I think I like it.  Extra inning games can be horrible. I do think it adds excitement in a 'small ball' way during the OT. For 30 minutes yesterday, Brewer baseball was edge of seat exciting.

I don't like the rule.  But I understand ithe necessity with COVID.
I think the rule would be significantly better if waited until  to the 11 or 12 inning to start it.
I heard a Joe Torre interview last fall.  He's on the MLB rules committee.  He gave some stats.  Something ike 73% extra innings games finished after the 10th and 85% through 11.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2021, 05:26:06 PM »
Good.

In his statement, Manfred said MLB "fundamentally supports voting rights for all Americans and opposes restrictions to the ballot box." Manfred said MLB would continue to celebrate the memory of Hank Aaron, who died in January, during the All-Star festivities.

Had to do it. There was absolutely no way to celebrate Hank Aaron's life in a state that proudly resurrected Jim Crow voting laws.

Similar pressure got NC to dump its horrendous anti-LBGTQ law a few years ago, and also got Arizona to acknowledge MLK Day.

Biden is an absolute liar about the polls ending at 5pm in Georgia.  Election day hours were not changed there.  But regardless this decision is potentially economically devastating to primarily minorities in Atlanta and the entire state of Georgia.  And 80% or more believe requiring an I.D. to vote is essential and not racist.  So if you want to alienate at min 1/2 the country it was a good decision by MLB.  Even Stacy Abaams thinks this is stupid if you ask her point blank.

And as for the NBA and their NBA all-star game in Charlotte a few years ago?  Really?  How can anyone possibly take the "values" of the NBA seriously about LGBTQ when a few months ago, a province in China, had a law passed declaring homosexuality a mental illness??  Not to mention the fact that 1.5 Uighur Muslims are being enslaved there??  You have got to be freaking kidding me.  Is this a fking joke? 

#Freedom for Taiwan and Hong Kong.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 05:51:08 PM by MuggsyB »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2021, 05:29:18 PM »
Good.

Looks like MLB read talking points from the NY Times, Stacey Abrams and repeated by Biden and others and failed to actually read the law.  Maybe they should move the game to Delaware??  IBTL.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2021, 05:35:53 PM »

Biden is an absolute liar about the polls ending at 5pm in Georgia.  Election day hours were not changed there.  But regardless this decision is potentially economically devastating to primarily minorities in Atlanta and the entire state of Georgia.  And 80% or more believe requiring an I.D. to vote is essential and not racist.  So if you want to alienate at min 1/2 the country it was a good decision by MLB.  Even Stacy Abaams thinks this is stupid if you ask her point blank.

And as for the NBA and their NBA all-star game in Charlotte a few years ago?  Really?  How can anyone possibly take the "values" of the NBA seriously about LGBTQ when a few months ago, a province in China, had a law was passed declaring homosexuality a mental illness??  Not to mention the fact that 1.5 Uighur Muslims are being enslaved there??  You have got to be freaking kidding me.  Is this a fking joke? 

Right.

Because if you can’t do EVERYTHING, you should do nothing.

Good on MLB. Georgia’s law is the exact opposite of how a democracy should work. Interesting that the party who loves to paint one side as “Marxist” also loves to engage in anti democratic activities.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2021, 05:50:42 PM »

Right.

Because if you can’t do EVERYTHING, you should do nothing.

Good on MLB. Georgia’s law is the exact opposite of how a democracy should work. Interesting that the party who loves to paint one side as “Marxist” also loves to engage in anti democratic activities.

I don’t remember people caring about Chinese human rights abuses until the NBA started taking stands.  It’s a great distraction from the subject at hand.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2021, 05:57:10 PM »
I don’t remember people caring about Chinese human rights abuses until the NBA started taking stands.  It’s a great distraction from the subject at hand.

Really?  How did that #Free Hong Kong Tweet go for Daryl Morey?  Or the people that showed up for preseason games with Free Homg Kong T-Shirts?  But I know Lebrom James knows way more about Geopolitics and China than someone deeply uneducated like Daryl Morey.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2021, 06:18:55 PM »
Really?  How did that #Free Hong Kong Tweet go for Daryl Morey?  Or the people that showed up for preseason games with Free Homg Kong T-Shirts?  But I know Lebrom James knows way more about Geopolitics and China than someone deeply uneducated like Daryl Morey.

Yes, one of the main causes of the average American citizen the last two decades plus has been freedom for Chinese dissidents.  It’s been why businesses that have been in bed with China for decades struggle to make ends meet because of the pushback from the average American citizen and politicians standing with Chinese freedom fighters. It certainly didn’t become an issue because athletes are standing against racial injustice in the country in which they live.  That’s certainly not the case at all
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #143 on: April 02, 2021, 07:07:17 PM »

And as for the NBA and their NBA all-star game in Charlotte a few years ago?  Really?  How can anyone possibly take the "values" of the NBA seriously about LGBTQ when a few months ago, a province in China, had a law passed declaring homosexuality a mental illness??  Not to mention the fact that 1.5 Uighur Muslims are being enslaved there??  You have got to be freaking kidding me.  Is this a fking joke? 

Please provide a link of Stacey Abrams thinking this is "stupid," as all I could find was this:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/stacey-abrams-reacts-mlb-decision-move-all-star-game-out-of-georgia

Stacey Abrams applauds MLB's decision to move All-Star Game out of Georgia

The Georgia law is obviously racist, obviously trying to solve a problem that didn't exist. The Republican secretary of state said 2020 was the best-run election Georgia ever had. But sure ... let's deny people from giving water to Black folks who have to wait in line to vote.

The NBA has worked on humanitarian issues in China, far more than most U.S. corporations have. But there is still plenty of work to do, yes.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2021, 07:16:13 PM »
Yes, one of the main causes of the average American citizen the last two decades plus has been freedom for Chinese dissidents.  It%u2019s been why businesses that have been in bed with China for decades struggle to make ends meet because of the pushback from the average American citizen and politicians standing with Chinese freedom fighters. It certainly didn%u2019t become an issue because athletes are standing against racial injustice in the country in which they live.  That%u2019s certainly not the case at all

That is correct about other American businesses but maybe we should care more about what the Chinese government continues to do?  And maybe a guy like Lebron James, if he cares about actual social justice, could mention the horrific human rights violations that are going on there?  Or maybe just maybe he cares about the opening numbers of Space Jam 2.

The Chinese regime impacts all of us and many companies and the NBA in particular are in bed with them.  When we are more polarized and become obsessed with identity politics it hurts the USA and strengthens the Chinese Communist Govt.  And beyond that why are the woke and Biden more concerned about Georgia voting loss as opposed to about 20 other states?  Could it have something to do with it being a swing state?  Did I miss what Biden said about Delaware and Massachusetts' voting laws?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2021, 07:28:00 PM »
Please provide a link of Stacey Abrams thinking this is "stupid," as all I could find was this:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/stacey-abrams-reacts-mlb-decision-move-all-star-game-out-of-georgia

Stacey Abrams applauds MLB's decision to move All-Star Game out of Georgia

The Georgia law is obviously racist, obviously trying to solve a problem that didn't exist. The Republican secretary of state said 2020 was the best-run election Georgia ever had. But sure ... let's deny people from giving water to Black folks who have to wait in line to vote.

The NBA has worked on humanitarian issues in China, far more than most U.S. corporations have. But there is still plenty of work to do, yes.
Is it obviously racist because it closes the polls at 5:00 pm on Election Day?  That can’t be it, since the polls are open until 7 and if you’re in line at 7 you still get to vote.

Is it obviously racist because it eliminates drop boxes?  That can’t be it, since drop boxes are added so that all counties in Georgia now will have them when they didn’t have them in every county before this law.

Is it obviously racist because no one can bring food or water to someone in line?  That can’t be it either, since the law allows people to bring their own food and water, order it to be delivered, have family or friends bring it to them, allows water stations to exist and only prevents electioneering. 

Maybe it’s obviously racist because they cut down the number of days for early voting. That can’t be it either since Georgia increased the number of days for early voting.

Is it obviously racist because blacks don’t favor voter ID? That can’t be since almost 70% of black people favor voter ID.

It’s obviously racist because The NY Times and other media says it is. It’s obviously racist because Biden didn’t read the law or what is in it, rather relying on repeating talking points that fit his narrative. It’s obviously racist because Delta Airlines pops off about it for the same reason before admitting they hadn’t read the actual law.

Those who want to criticize the law can criticize it. But at least do it in a truthful way.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 07:35:13 PM by Lighthouse 84 »

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #146 on: April 02, 2021, 07:30:40 PM »
That is correct about other American businesses but maybe we should care more about what the Chinese government continues to do?  And maybe a guy like Lebron James, if he cares about actual social justice, could mention the horrific human rights violations that are going on there?  Or maybe just maybe he cares about the opening numbers of Space Jam 2.

The Chinese regime impacts all of us and many companies and the NBA in particular are in bed with them.  When we are more polarized and become obsessed with identity politics it hurts the USA and strengthens the Chinese Communist Govt.  And beyond that why are the woke and Biden more concerned about Georgia voting loss as opposed to about 20 other states?  Could it have something to do with it being a swing state?  Did I miss what Biden said about Delaware and Massachusetts' voting laws?

The Georgia law was passed and signed by the governor, that's why. The others are still on the drawing board. But don't worry, Muggs, I'm sure several other states will try to pass racist laws in desperate attempts to marginalize Black voters.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #147 on: April 02, 2021, 07:32:14 PM »
Is it obviously racist because it cuts closes the polls at 5:00 pm on Election Day?  That can’t be it, since the polls are open until 7 and if you’re in line at 7 you still get to vote.

Is it obviously racist because it eliminates drop boxes?  That can’t be it, since drop boxes are added so that all counties in Georgia now will have them when they didn’t have them in every county before this law.

Is it obviously racist because no one can bring food or water to someone in line?  That can’t be it either, since the law allows people to bring their own food and water, order it to be delivered, have family or friends bring it to them, allows water stations to exist and only prevents electioneering. 

Maybe it’s obviously racist because they cut down the number of days for early voting. That can’t be it either since Georgia increased the number of days for early voting.

Is it obviously racist because blacks don’t favor voter ID? That can’t be since almost 70% of black people favor voter ID.

It’s obviously racist because The NY Times and other media says it is. It’s obviously racist because Biden didn’t read the law or what is in it, rather relying on repeating talking points that fit his narrative. It’s obviously racist because Delta Airlines pops off about it for the same reason before admitting they hadn’t read the actual law.

Those who want to criticize the law can criticize it. But at least do it in a truthful way.

It is obviously an attempt to limit the Black vote, trying to correct a problem that didn't exist.

You are free to have a different opinion.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #148 on: April 02, 2021, 07:35:28 PM »
The Georgia law was passed and signed by the governor, that's why. The others are still on the drawing board. But don't worry, Muggs, I'm sure several other states will try to pass racist laws in desperate attempts to marginalize Black voters.

Are the voing laws of NY, NJ, Mass, VT, NH, ME, Delaware, Illinois, etc, etc, etc, etc, racist?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 07:47:46 PM by MuggsyB »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2021, 07:44:43 PM »
It is obviously an attempt to limit the Black vote, trying to correct a problem that didn't exist.

You are free to have a different opinion.
Obviously?

Because Biden, Abrams and others say it is andimmediately resorting to the R word? The law was made to give more access to voting than it did previously. It’s disingenuous to just call something racist without justification and the truth is that the law expands voting access. 

I’m glad I’m entitled to my opinion, as we all are. But at least in this case, I’m basing my opinion on what the law says and not some emotional talking points from The NY Times, etc and repeated by those who those who don’t want to read what the law actually says if it doesn’t fit the day’s narrative.

Go Warriors.

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.