collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 179084 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #2400 on: November 11, 2021, 11:10:35 PM »

I'll let a jumbled sentence go.

Honestly, the jumbled sentence was more concerning to me than the slip of the tongue.  I'm not hysterically screaming he's senile or calling him Sleepy, but he has a concerning amount of rambles, fumbles, and general word scramble when he's off script in front of a mic.  Its not a stutter thing, its a neuron misfiring situation.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2401 on: November 11, 2021, 11:21:31 PM »
Honestly, the jumbled sentence was more concerning to me than the slip of the tongue.  I'm not hysterically screaming he's senile or calling him Sleepy, but he has a concerning amount of rambles, fumbles, and general word scramble when he's off script in front of a mic.  Its not a stutter thing, its a neuron misfiring situation.

Lots of misfiring neurons here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE9BXkQ-SRc

But yes, it's concerning that we won't hire a president who is younger than Methuselah. Can't wait for the 82-year-old to take on the 78-year-old in 2024!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2402 on: November 12, 2021, 12:23:47 AM »
RENT...FREE

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2403 on: November 12, 2021, 08:19:24 AM »
RENT...FREE

Back at ya.

Actually, I should start charging rent!

But how about baseball, eh? I'm not the one who changed the subject here.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2404 on: November 12, 2021, 08:24:38 AM »
But how about baseball, eh? I'm not the one who changed the subject here.

But you never miss an opportunity to participate when someone else opens the door.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2405 on: November 12, 2021, 08:42:56 AM »

But you never miss an opportunity to participate when someone else opens the door.

And you never miss an opportunity to play Scoop Police.

Rent free.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2406 on: November 12, 2021, 08:45:15 AM »
Rent free.

Lame.  I would implore you to be better, but I am not sure that's possible.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2407 on: November 12, 2021, 08:46:09 AM »
It’s so nice to have the board police on active duty again. Too bad the offender’s comments aren’t written on paper so they could be burned.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2408 on: November 12, 2021, 08:49:18 AM »
How 'bout that baseball, huh?

Yankees supposedly really want Seager and Toronto's Robbie Ray.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2409 on: November 12, 2021, 08:54:53 AM »
Actually, it’s exactly a stutter thing.

Marquette has a Speech Pathology major. Didn't anyone here have any Speech Path friends in college? Maybe someone can start a Speech Pathology thread.

He began to say, “The great Negro Leagues pitcher Satchel Paige.” And then he rearranged his words.

As for baseball, I can recommend the Negro League Museum in Kansas City. It’s well worth people’s time.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2410 on: November 12, 2021, 09:02:52 AM »

Wow. Keep being you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2411 on: November 12, 2021, 09:08:55 AM »
It is exactly a stutter thing.   

I wonder which shortstop Detroit goes after this winter.    Correa could be a difference maker.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2412 on: November 12, 2021, 09:17:27 AM »
It is exactly a stutter thing.   

I wonder which shortstop Detroit goes after this winter.    Correa could be a difference maker.

Do folks there think the Tigers can be legit contender in 2022? Had a pretty nice second half this season, right?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2413 on: November 12, 2021, 09:31:49 AM »
2022 will be interesting.    The Tigers had a horrific stretch in April into early May where they went 3-18.    The rest of the season they went a very respectable 74-67.   And they did it with a patched together starting rotation, 4 different starting catchers, never settling on a starting short stop and an erratic offense.     AJ Hinch can coach.     
   Detroit started the offseason by getting the starting catcher they needed from Cinci.   Barnhart will probably start 100 games.    For the first time in forever, there are some minor league prospects that have Tiger fans salivating.   Torkelson and Greene.    I don't think Torkelson comes up until Miggy retires.    Greene will probably be ready next year.    But now Detroit will have a glut of young, fast outfielders.    As well as utility infielders.   
   If Detroit gets Correa and 1-2 inning eating starting pitchers who don't blow out their arms by May, there is definitely the potential to win 85-88 games next year.   If a couple of the young guys really take off, who knows?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2414 on: November 12, 2021, 09:37:14 AM »
2022 will be interesting.    The Tigers had a horrific stretch in April into early May where they went 3-18.    The rest of the season they went a very respectable 74-67.   And they did it with a patched together starting rotation, 4 different starting catchers, never settling on a starting short stop and an erratic offense.     AJ Hinch can coach.     
   Detroit started the offseason by getting the starting catcher they needed from Cinci.   Barnhart will probably start 100 games.    For the first time in forever, there are some minor league prospects that have Tiger fans salivating.   Torkelson and Greene.    I don't think Torkelson comes up until Miggy retires.    Greene will probably be ready next year.    But now Detroit will have a glut of young, fast outfielders.    As well as utility infielders.   
   If Detroit gets Correa and 1-2 inning eating starting pitchers who don't blow out their arms by May, there is definitely the potential to win 85-88 games next year.   If a couple of the young guys really take off, who knows?

Good luck, my friend. Your sports landscape is long overdue for a few breaks!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2415 on: November 12, 2021, 09:54:37 AM »
Wow. Keep being you.

I'm not even sure what that means, I'm sure its some lame assertion that I'm some MAGA Trumper or something, but given the source I won't stress it.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2416 on: November 12, 2021, 05:06:35 PM »
MLB has gone from relatively underpaid team -controlled players busting the reserve clause with the help of their union and Marvin Miller to free agency only for some and  ...

today, Scott Boras:

"Boras represents five of the eight men on the union's executive subcommittee: Zack Britton, Gerrit Cole, James Paxton, Max Scherzer and Marcus Semien, who switched his agency to Boras last month. Jason Castro, Francisco Lindor and Andrew Miller are the other members."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32600372/agent-scott-boras-tanking-mlb-competitive-cancer-led-atlanta-braves-world-series-title

We are likely coming up on a lockout again... Time passes...

We are far removed from a Union guru like Marvin pursuing basic bargaining rights and we now have a rich players agent, Boras,  speaking for their issues....or is Boras just a shill for the rich guys portion of the union?

Otta watchout ....1994 taught a lesson... the fans have little patience for millionaires battling billionaires.

Tanking and accumulating young cheap talent through the draft and early years contracts which are incredibly cheap is the logical result of the union favoring the veteran uber rich far too long at the expense of the young team-controlled talent (see Union exec committee roster ...for evidence of the wealthy rulers).

Look at just a portion of the 2021 Pre Arb Astros payroll:
Kyle Tucker    24   RF   Pre-Arb   $624,300   
Yordan Alvarez    24   DH   Pre-Arb   $609,000   
Jose Urquidy    26   SP   Pre-Arb   $604,200   
Blake Taylor    25   RP   Pre-Arb   $599,100   -
Cristian Javier    24   SP   Pre-Arb   $620,400   
Luis Garcia    24   RP   Pre-Arb   $580,100
Framber Valdez    27   SP   Pre-Arb   $637,300   
Chas McCormick 26   OF   Pre-Arb   $570,500   
Jake Meyers    25   OF   Pre-Arb   $570,500
Jose Siri            25   CF   Arb 1   $570,500

Total...TEN MLB roster players at a TOTAL of say $6.5 mil...yet every one of these guys were Key 2021 and WS contributors. This TOTAL is 1/4th of the $26mil. amount we paid Altuve in 2021.

With Correa likely leaving the Astros (for a $300 Mil. payday) the team already has both a AAA shortstop (drafted in 2018) named Pena ready to go in for Correa (...on the $600k cheap), and a Cuban five tool shortstop (bonused in at $4 Mil.) and likely ready in 2022-3.

Instead of Boras complaining here over tanking and the rich contract dumping that goes on when they are expiring, the union needs next to improve the lot of the MLB newbies and encourage minor league increases, even if union doesn't represent the latter.

There are many haves and have nots within the same MLB players union. Marvin Miller would have been more atuned to this disparity issue ...he wasnt a rich players agent like Boras
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2417 on: November 12, 2021, 06:54:09 PM »
I'm not even sure what that means, I'm sure its some lame assertion that I'm some MAGA Trumper or something, but given the source I won't stress it.
I believe it’s more related to the fact that you seem to think you know everything.  What expertise do you have to state as a fact that “it’s not a stuttering thing. It’s a neuron misfiring situation”?  Some anecdote about your best friend’s college roommates sister? 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2418 on: November 12, 2021, 10:58:05 PM »
I believe it’s more related to the fact that you seem to think you know everything.  What expertise do you have to state as a fact that “it’s not a stuttering thing. It’s a neuron misfiring situation”?  Some anecdote about your best friend’s college roommates sister?

Wow. Just wow.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2419 on: November 12, 2021, 11:22:01 PM »

You’re a smart man, ATL.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2420 on: November 12, 2021, 11:48:37 PM »
You’re a smart man, ATL.

Atl and jockitch, 2 peas in a pod.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2421 on: November 13, 2021, 12:06:17 AM »
Atl and jockitch, 2 peas in a pod.

Kinda like you and rocket brain. Twin brothers from different mothers.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2422 on: November 13, 2021, 08:05:15 AM »
Wow. Just wow.
Let him answer the question. I think it’s more than a fair one.

After rereading the post I initially responded to, I think Wags was talking about 45 rather than 46 (or maybe not) so I am wondering where this diagnostic expertise has been for the last 5 years.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 08:34:29 AM by ATL MU Warrior »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2423 on: November 13, 2021, 10:48:42 AM »
Wow, I’m amazed that politics can even enter a baseball thread! Do we have no shame?

Back on the ranch, does anyone besides me find it amazing that the St. Louis Cardinals fired a manager who is a finalist for Manager of the Year? Yeah, I’m a die-hard Cardinals fan (yeup, in case you missed it Brother Newsie) but this one seems more than a bit weird.

I have no idea what happened in 2021 that would fire Schlidt but something major happened in the post-mortem on the season. I know they had bullpen problems and they didn’t hit well (nobody did last year), but this is extraordinary for a team that prides itself on stability.

Anyone with thoughts…? 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2424 on: November 13, 2021, 11:45:02 AM »
From what I’ve read, it had something to do with not embracing analytics fervently enough.

GMs and the front offices are exercising more control over their team’s on- field play than anytime in baseball’s history. They want the manager to be an extension of them.

feedback