collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread  (Read 182299 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: The Hey its 2021 now guys MLB thread
« Reply #2350 on: November 01, 2021, 10:48:14 AM »
Has Game 5 ended yet?

Baseball is destroying itself. The World Series in their showcase event and it seems the only purpose is to drive people away in droves.

Such simple fixes. Such reluctance to do anything.

MLB is criticized for not doing anything.  MLB does something.  MLB is criticized for changing the game.  MLB stops enforcing the new rules.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2351 on: November 01, 2021, 11:15:46 AM »

MLB is criticized for not doing anything.  MLB does something.  MLB is criticized for changing the game.  MLB stops enforcing the new rules.
I've seen tons discussed about this topic.  I think the pitch clock is desperately needed.  In the minor league they tested it in, walks and strikeouts went down and balls in play went up.  That's what baseball "should" want. 
What baseball does not need is 26 or more man rosters so they can add even more pitchers so we can have even more relief appearances and even longer games.  And the relief pitchers are the worst offenders.  The come in knowing they are only going to throw 10-20 pitches, so they don't mind spending 30-50 seconds gearing up for each pitch.  Game 7 of the 1960 World Series was a 10-9 thriller with 24 hits and 5 walks and it only took 2:36 to play.  Game action, baserunners and fielders in motion, etc., is what baseball needs.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2352 on: November 01, 2021, 11:39:52 AM »
I've seen tons discussed about this topic.  I think the pitch clock is desperately needed.  In the minor league they tested it in, walks and strikeouts went down and balls in play went up.  That's what baseball "should" want. 
What baseball does not need is 26 or more man rosters so they can add even more pitchers so we can have even more relief appearances and even longer games.  And the relief pitchers are the worst offenders.  The come in knowing they are only going to throw 10-20 pitches, so they don't mind spending 30-50 seconds gearing up for each pitch.  Game 7 of the 1960 World Series was a 10-9 thriller with 24 hits and 5 walks and it only took 2:36 to play.  Game action, baserunners and fielders in motion, etc., is what baseball needs.

You are right.

I think the one single thing that would speed games up the most is prohibiting batters from leaving the box between pitches. Call a strike every time a batter leaves the box. Then enforce a 15 second time limit on a pitcher releasing the ball.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2353 on: November 01, 2021, 11:40:41 AM »

Except they haven’t really done anything.

• All American
« Reply #2354 on: November 01, 2021, 01:51:04 PM »

Yep.  Agreed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2355 on: November 01, 2021, 04:27:26 PM »

Good points throughout ... though I'm guessing that Game 7 in 1960 would have taken a bit longer if every between innings lasted 2 1/2 minutes for commercials. But yes, it still wouldn't have been like today's ridiculously slow games.

G6 is tomorrow and G7 potentially is Wednesday and I doubt I'll watch more than a couple innings of either because they'll just be too ponderous.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2356 on: November 01, 2021, 04:33:24 PM »
Good points throughout ... though I'm guessing that Game 7 in 1960 would have taken a bit longer if every between innings lasted 2 1/2 minutes for commercials. But yes, it still wouldn't have been like today's ridiculously slow games.

G6 is tomorrow and G7 potentially is Wednesday and I doubt I'll watch more than a couple innings of either because they'll just be too ponderous.

Ponderous is a great word for these games.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #2357 on: November 01, 2021, 04:38:08 PM »

What did they do? Guess I missed it while I was waiting for the fellow to deliver the pitch.

• All American
« Reply #2358 on: November 02, 2021, 12:40:47 PM »

But I don't even think the time in between innings is the problem - gives me time to pee, take the dogs out, etc.  I don't mind a three hour game if it actually has action.  Hell, I watch college football regularly and those games can be three and half hours with commercial breaks all over the place.  But DO SOMETHING when the action is supposed to be taking place. 

That's why ponderous is the perfect word.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2359 on: November 02, 2021, 10:51:07 PM »
Hey, congrats to the Braves.  Time to start the 21-22 MLB thread :)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2360 on: November 02, 2021, 11:28:26 PM »

Incredible job by the Braves -- first, to save their season after their best player got hurt; then, to get hot at the absolutely perfect time.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2361 on: November 03, 2021, 01:41:55 AM »
Incredible job by the Braves -- first, to save their season after their best player got hurt; then, to get hot at the absolutely perfect time.

Speaking of hot, former Cub Soler - who has had an ok career, but never been "the guy" finds himself as WS MVP.  That may pay off going into his first FA year.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2362 on: November 03, 2021, 03:50:25 AM »
I am very happy for the Braves. Congrats to a team that made great player moves and enjoyed great pitching with timely hitting

I worried our Astros felt they were DOA with Lance McCullers not making WS roster. Valdes and Garcia was not exactly Spahn and Sain and pray for rain. The longer the series the more your pitching gets exposed. Oh well 5 straight ALCS series, three AL pennants and 3 WS appearances, ....this has been a great run for me as a fan.

I guess this could be the last 2021 MLB post as I now segway to 2022 MLB thread and Astros have interesting Hot stove choices. Verlander, Grienke, and Correa are off the payroll and free up $80 mil gross for other signings. Otherwise, ...Almost all of the rest of this WS roster is signed and back for next year.

Astros wont do any $300mil 10yr deals. I expect Correa is gone. Astros must :
1) sign up all or most of the minor arm pen guys esp those we got at trade deadline; and
2)get 2 front line starters and
3) a SS replacement... the FA market has lots of SS avail

I expect Seattle will challenge Astros for 2022 AL west title, with Oakland slipping back, Angels will feature Trout, Ohtani and .500 ball and the Rangers will , well, show up.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2363 on: November 03, 2021, 08:09:41 AM »
I wish they would bring back playing the World Series during the day at least on Saturday and Sunday.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2364 on: November 03, 2021, 08:13:30 AM »
I am very happy for the Braves. Congrats to a team that made great player moves and enjoyed great pitching with timely hitting

I worried our Astros felt they were DOA with Lance McCullers not making WS roster. Valdes and Garcia was not exactly Spahn and Sain and pray for rain. The longer the series the more your pitching gets exposed. Oh well 5 straight ALCS series, three AL pennants and 3 WS appearances, ....this has been a great run for me as a fan.

I guess this could be the last 2021 MLB post as I now segway to 2022 MLB thread and Astros have interesting Hot stove choices. Verlander, Grienke, and Correa are off the payroll and free up $80 mil gross for other signings. Otherwise, ...Almost all of the rest of this WS roster is signed and back for next year.

1) sign up all or most of the minor arm pen guys esp those we got at trade deadline; and

I expect Seattle will challenge Astros for 2022 AL west title, with Oakland slipping back, Angels will feature Trout, Ohtani and .500 ball and the Rangers will , well, show up.

Hmm...  that would be quite a story as they are the only team to never have played in a World Series.

• All American
« Reply #2365 on: November 03, 2021, 08:20:28 AM »
I wish they would bring back playing the World Series during the day at least on Saturday and Sunday.

That's just not going to happen - the ratings would be abysmal going up against college and NFL football.  I do wish they would move up the starting pitch though.  Baseball is the type of sport that people can tune in at the third inning and watch to the end.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2366 on: November 03, 2021, 08:23:24 AM »

it may be an interesting start if they don't resolve the next union contract soon.

• All American
« Reply #2367 on: November 03, 2021, 08:28:15 AM »
it may be an interesting start if they don't resolve the next union contract soon.

It seems to me that the players have no leverage though.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2368 on: November 03, 2021, 08:44:46 AM »

They could just move Bregman back to SS as I imagine the 3B market is a bit softer than the SS right now

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2369 on: November 03, 2021, 09:43:06 AM »
Hmm...  that would be quite a story as they are the only team to never have played in a World Series.
Whoa
I expect Seattle will challenge only for the Division title which does not translate to a league pennant or WS appearance …. As 2 out of 3 division winners can attest to every year
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2370 on: November 03, 2021, 10:58:30 AM »
Atlanta Braves, 88 wins, losing record at the All Star Break, World Series Champions. 15 different teams have won the World Series since 2000. 4 of the teams in that time frame, had 4 of the 5 all time worst winning percentages of a World Series Champion. Just 4 teams have won it multiple times in the 21st century.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2371 on: November 03, 2021, 04:51:00 PM »
Buster Posey announces his retirement.  The best national league catcher of his era and it’s not really close
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2372 on: November 03, 2021, 04:57:04 PM »
Buster Posey announces his retirement.  The best national league catcher of his era and it’s not really close
How long until the Asian Carp flings himself into the boat?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2373 on: November 03, 2021, 05:15:55 PM »

Very underrated player and one of the best names in baseball. Just beats out Jason Kendall for your title, IMO.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2374 on: November 03, 2021, 06:16:33 PM »

Interesting. He had a heckofa final season, really seemed to have found the fountain of youth. He has more money than he or his kids or his grandkids or his great grandkids can spend, so good for him to go out on a high note.

feedback