collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2021  (Read 45907 times)

The Big East

• All American
Re: Golf 2021
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2021, 10:20:28 AM »
I hope he breaks the record for PGA tour wins and most majors. I've always been a tiger fan.

But he's now had multiple microdiscs (we don't know which levels) and 1 fusion. Then now another microdisc (has to be at least one additional level beyond the fusion). All within a few years?

As someone with extensive spine experience, it would be a miracle if he can continue to compete with the best in the game with how thoroughly and quickly his back is breaking down. (Not to mention his knee history)
Based on your medical experience, is this a case where Tiger has to stop playing PGA level tournaments or is it a case  where he can play tournaments with a compromised physical level of play?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2021, 10:29:54 AM »
Based on your medical experience, is this a case where Tiger has to stop playing PGA level tournaments or is it a case  where he can play tournaments with a compromised physical level of play?

My hypothesis is his spine will continue to be bothersome enough to him that he won't be able to compete at the necessary level due to physical limitations.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2021, 11:07:17 AM »

Butler or Bust!!!!!!

I don't know what's going on at Butler now, but it was their discriminatory policies - and their robust defense of those policies - that led them to lose the Western Open. Maybe they've changed. I never got a chance to play Butler, but I have heard it's an amazing track.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2021, 11:41:09 AM »
I don't know what's going on at Butler now, but it was their discriminatory policies - and their robust defense of those policies - that led them to lose the Western Open. Maybe they've changed. I never got a chance to play Butler, but I have heard it's an amazing track.

Played it twice. Once in the group behind MJ. Still the best all in golf experience of my life.
But I like to throw handfuls...

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2021, 02:09:01 PM »
Moving the PGA Championship to May effectively eliminates the upper midwest from hosting it.
It didn’t stop them from having the event at Bethpage in May. Of course that was already booked in the schedule .

I think if the Ryder Cup goes well in September , a PGA is still possible at Whistling Straits in May.

They may also now be on consideration for a US Open.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2021, 02:12:39 PM »
A PGA Championship in the midwest in May would be fine.  A PGA Championship on the shores of Lake Michigan in May could be really chilly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2021, 02:42:42 PM »
A PGA Championship in the midwest in May would be fine.  A PGA Championship on the shores of Lake Michigan in May could be really chilly.
I agree it could be chilly. But would be any different than mid September ? I think the feedback from the players at The Ryder Cup will be a one factor in a decision by the PGA to host the event in May.

Oak Hill in Rochester NY is hosting 2023 PGA. They are about 38 miles from Lake Ontario and it is not necessarily always good weather at the time in upstate NY

The future big events at Whistling straights are likely to be USGA championships which are in June and July

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2021, 02:49:48 PM »
It didn’t stop them from having the event at Bethpage in May. Of course that was already booked in the schedule .

I think if the Ryder Cup goes well in September , a PGA is still possible at Whistling Straits in May.

They may also now be on consideration for a US Open.
When is the last time you spent hours next to Lake Michigan in May?   Particularly golfing?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2021, 03:00:57 PM »
I agree it could be chilly. But would be any different than mid September ?

Tremendously different.  Mid May in Wisconsin is oftentimes nice but occasionally really cool.  Especially on Lake Michigan.

Mid September is the best weather around, and is just as nice next to the Lake.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2021, 03:04:01 PM »
The Kohler properties are aligned with the PGA. They have no chance at a USGA event unless that changes, it won’t.

Erin Hills will have another Open before WS.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2021, 03:10:55 PM »
When is the last time you spent hours next to Lake Michigan in May?   Particularly golfing?

2 Weeks before Christmas this year. Jackson Park. Walked 18. Frost warning. Got up to low 40s.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2021, 03:29:00 PM »

The agronomy will not allow a PGA Championship at Whistling Straits again.  I believe all contracts between the PGA and Kohler end with this Ryder Cup.  On top of that, all PGA sites are scheduled through 2031. 

I don’t believe the USGA will choose to host the Open at any Kohler property, though.  The only appealing thing about the Straits is how many people it can hold but the professionals tear it apart.  If the wind isn’t blowing, it has no defense unless you pinch the fairways and grow the rough and fescue way up and then that takes away from what the course is supposed to be.  Problem is, it’s not a true links course though it pretends to be.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2021, 03:29:10 PM »
I was about 3 miles inland on this side of the lake on December 11.   All of the hardy souls.  Golf course making money hand over fist and running out of carts.   I was walking.   You never know when the season is GOI g to end so you have to take advantage.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2021, 03:31:27 PM »
The agronomy will not allow a PGA Championship at Whistling Straits again.  I believe all contracts between the PGA and Kohler end with this Ryder Cup.  On top of that, all PGA sites are scheduled through 2031. 

I don’t believe the USGA will choose to host the Open at any Kohler property, though.  The only appealing thing about the Straits is how many people it can hold but the professionals tear it apart.  If the wind isn’t blowing, it has no defense unless you pinch the fairways and grow the rough and fescue way up and then that takes away from what the course is supposed to be.  Problem is, it’s not a true links course though it pretends to be.
Right.  A links course allows for the ground game.  WS does not.  It is a beautiful lakeside course, like Arcadia Bluffs on the Michigan side.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2021, 03:36:31 PM »
Right.  A links course allows for the ground game.  WS does not.  It is a beautiful lakeside course, like Arcadia Bluffs on the Michigan side.

Quite frankly, out of all the world class courses that have opened in the last 25 years in Wisconsin, the Straits might be the worst of them.

I’d take Sand Valley courses and Erin Hills over it from a playing perspective.  No doubt it’s a stunning course and challenge for the average golfer but I don’t think it stands up to the others as bang for your buck.  I’m playing all of them this June except the Straits (It’s closed and I’m playing the Irish instead) and missing the Straits is, eh.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2021, 07:39:05 PM »
I hope he breaks the record for PGA tour wins and most majors. I've always been a tiger fan.

But he's now had multiple microdiscs (we don't know which levels) and 1 fusion. Then now another microdisc (has to be at least one additional level beyond the fusion). All within a few years?

As someone with extensive spine experience, it would be a miracle if he can continue to compete with the best in the game with how thoroughly and quickly his back is breaking down. (Not to mention his knee history)

'Roids are a bitch, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2021, 09:32:32 AM »
Watching the comparative body language between Jessica Korda and Danielle Kang as they prepared to play the 18th hole the first time yesterday, it was obvious who was going to win.    Jessica was singing along and bopping a little bit to the music they were playing.   Danielle, who had seen her lead slip away, was very intense.   

I thought that Danielle might have a chance before the first playoff hole when I saw her talking on her phone walking to the tee for the playoff hole.    She hit a good shot.    But when Jessica dropped her birdie putt bomb, it was pretty obvious from the body language that Danielle was going to miss.    She hit a decent putt, one that no one could really get upset about, but one that was never going in.   

Jessica clearly was enjoying the moment more than Danielle, even before the putt went in.   

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2021, 10:53:33 AM »
Tower, any recommendations for courses in Northwest Michigan like Arcadia/Frankfort area.

Gonna be up there in July. As much as I would love to play Arcadia Bluffs, don’t wanna spend $220 a round.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2021, 10:58:46 AM »
Inexpensive golf and northwest michigan in the summer are mutually exclusive concepts.

Check out Champion Hill.    Mistwood is basic golf a bit of a drive from there.   Manistee National.   None are actually cheap.

And if you have the money to spend for Arcadia, spend it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 11:02:12 AM by tower912 »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2021, 12:23:44 PM »
Inexpensive golf and northwest michigan in the summer are mutually exclusive concepts.

Check out Champion Hill.    Mistwood is basic golf a bit of a drive from there.   Manistee National.   None are actually cheap.

And if you have the money to spend for Arcadia, spend it.

Yea, that’s fair enough. When I was younger I would always go to Pinecroft when I’m up there but since I’ve gotten a little better/more consistent I’ve tried to explore some new courses.

May just have to bit the bullet for Arcadia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2021, 01:31:14 PM »
Watching the comparative body language between Jessica Korda and Danielle Kang as they prepared to play the 18th hole the first time yesterday, it was obvious who was going to win.    Jessica was singing along and bopping a little bit to the music they were playing.   Danielle, who had seen her lead slip away, was very intense.   

I thought that Danielle might have a chance before the first playoff hole when I saw her talking on her phone walking to the tee for the playoff hole.    She hit a good shot.    But when Jessica dropped her birdie putt bomb, it was pretty obvious from the body language that Danielle was going to miss.    She hit a decent putt, one that no one could really get upset about, but one that was never going in.   

Jessica clearly was enjoying the moment more than Danielle, even before the putt went in.   

I couldn't believe how bad that phone call had to be mentally. I'd love to know if she was calling Mav, swing coach, NetJets? Imagine Stafford pulling out a cell phone during the coin toss for overtime football.

Weird all around.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2021, 02:23:08 PM »
Yea, that’s fair enough. When I was younger I would always go to Pinecroft when I’m up there but since I’ve gotten a little better/more consistent I’ve tried to explore some new courses.

May just have to bit the bullet for Arcadia.
Really bite the bullet and play the south course, too.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2021, 03:57:06 PM »
Tower, any recommendations for courses in Northwest Michigan like Arcadia/Frankfort area.

Gonna be up there in July. As much as I would love to play Arcadia Bluffs, don’t wanna spend $220 a round.
This is a very scenic and challenging set of courses  with incredible views of Lake Michigan and Torch Lake and will not cost you an arm and a leg.

https://www.a-ga-ming.com/

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2021, 04:37:56 PM »
A-Ga-Ming is lovely.   I was trying to avoid the 90 minute drive from Frankfort-Empire.   If we are going to open it up to 90 minute drives, that brings everything from Traverse City, Gaylord, Cadillac, and Grayling into play. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2021, 10:42:38 AM »
Interesting thing I found this off-season. Was testing some new putters out, just for fun I tried out a left handed putter.

Turns out, my control and distance felt so much better putting left handed than right handed, but with a cross handed grip Ended up just buying a cheap left handed putter to test out this season but even just putting around my house, I’ve seen a noticeable improvement with my putting.

Anybody else play right handed and putt lefty? Or is that just me?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 10:47:04 AM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

feedback