[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: WOJO HAS TO GOJO  (Read 36240 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: WOJO HAS TO GOJO
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2020, 07:18:19 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2020, 07:20:40 PM »
I think we circle the wagons Friday and beat Wisconsin.  Put that in your blue and gold pipes and smoke it!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2020, 07:22:00 PM »
Marquette is hurting.    Losing to OK St is somewhere around #50 on Scholl's list of problems.

In isolation, no, but men's basketball success is always the clear and present #1 issue. Lack of basketball success leads to a lack of donations, season ticket holder decline, less postseason dollars incoming and thus less money to support the other programs. Marquette as a university has a wealth of other problems, but as far as the athletic department goes, men's basketball is the driver for everything.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2020, 07:22:54 PM »
Apathy has set in for many of us. Been a fan for over 50 years and even during down times I always had the energy and desire to care about the program. Going into the Badger game has always been a fun time of year and trying my best to get jacked for the game.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2020, 07:24:42 PM »
Apathy has set in for many of us. Been a fan for over 50 years and even during down times I always had the energy and desire to care about the program. Going into the Badger game has always been a fun time of year and trying my best to get jacked for the game.
same. dont even really care that much except its a chance for a top 5 win. maybe with fans it would help. its comin down to nothin more than apathy

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2020, 07:25:30 PM »
So start a letter writing campaign and get him fired.
Sure, and after he’s fired we’ll spread the news via a phone tree. Everybody reply with your landline and I’ll draft one up.

Tennessee Ernie Ford

• Walk-On
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2020, 07:27:05 PM »
In isolation, no, but men's basketball success is always the clear and present #1 issue. Lack of basketball success leads to a lack of donations, season ticket holder decline, less postseason dollars incoming and thus less money to support the other programs. Marquette as a university has a wealth of other problems, but as far as the athletic department goes, men's basketball is the driver for everything.

+1.  Respect Tower's continual optimism, but the mediocrity of MUBB should be at the top of our AD's list of problems to fix... otherwise, he shouldn't be our AD.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2020, 07:27:42 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2020, 07:29:41 PM »
Letter writing worked for the Hausers.     I still get as jacked as I did in the 90's when MU would be on TV 4-5 times a year.     KO and the S-16 team.    Trying to predict how few points a Deane team could score and still win.   I don't plan my life around any sport besides MU hoops.   I'm going to miss seeing the next two games live and that pisses me off.   

Wojo hasn't lived up to expectations on the court.     I would still be surprised if he is fired after this year.     Too many other things going on.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2020, 07:32:11 PM »
Wojo blows

Hate has no home here, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2020, 07:32:53 PM »
Hmmmm awful strange that other coaches 'in the huddle' experience aren't what we get from Wojo.  I promise, whatever he is drawing up isn't working either.  Look no further than the results on the court.  Is he worried that someone is going to steal his drawn up play in the next 15 seconds?  Once they've run the play, it is on film forever anyway.  Like, what is your logic here?  He isn't giving away anything.  Instead, he looks like Matt Foley without the table crash and the laughter.

Let's put the idea to bed that he could possibly be giving anything away that any basketball coach won't figure out in the next two minutes.

Yikes.

If you read my whole post you'll see I acknowledge his tactical shortcomings.

That has nothing to do with what he says when the cameras are rolling.

I've seen hundreds of "in the huddle", halftime and pregame segments across lots of sports at all levels in my life. 90+% of them are not talking tactics/strategy.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2020, 07:33:29 PM »
Letter writing worked for the Hausers.     I still get as jacked as I did in the 90's when MU would be on TV 4-5 times a year.     KO and the S-16 team.    Trying to predict how few points a Deane team could score and still win.   I don't plan my life around any sport besides MU hoops.   I'm going to miss seeing the next two games live and that pisses me off.   

Wojo hasn't lived up to expectations on the court.     I would still be surprised if he is fired after this year.     Too many other things going on.
Passed up on several golden opportunities to fire him. If only someone had been saying this since 2017...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2020, 07:34:31 PM »
Wise words, Doc.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2020, 07:34:48 PM »

Hey, it happens, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2020, 07:39:55 PM »
+1.  Respect Tower's continual optimism, but the mediocrity of MUBB should be at the top of our AD's list of problems to fix... otherwise, he shouldn't be our AD.

I see that Illinois is #5. 

Thinking back over Wojo's tenure, which program was in worse shape at the start and which had improved the most during Wojo's time coaching MU? 

Add in the number of 20+ point blowout losses, late season collapses, and utter lack of postseason success, it's well past time for a change.

Imo, way too many arguments from Projos about "next year's recruiting class" and "it's only Wojo's fifth/sixth/seventh (?)) year...

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2020, 07:42:26 PM »
I've seen hundreds of "in the huddle", halftime and pregame segments across lots of sports at all levels in my life. 90+% of them are not talking tactics/strategy.
Sure we don’t get to see coaches diagram specific strategy on the grease board for their ATOs. But the majority of huddle speeches I have seen contain something of substance such as “let’s continue to attack the paint - it’s giving our shooters open looks on the perimeter and our slashers have more room to operate off the wings” or “keep moving your feet on defense, make them think about every pass and they’ll make a mistake eventually” or “let’s focus on our technique when boxing out - find a man and put a body on him when that shot goes up - remember what we’ve done in practice”...

Any of those is technical enough to actually give the kids something to focus on in the ensuing period of play while vague enough so as not to give away the secret sauce.

Wojo’s huddles have been on another level of vapidity. The one I remember most prominently is “PLAY BASKETBALL”. I also remember the March Madness All Access leading up to the Murray State implosion and his entire speech to the guys was “PLAY ANGRY”... I wish I could dig up the video.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2020, 07:53:31 PM »
I was thinking about how nice it would have been to see some Markus hero ball rather than the standing around.
W
I was thinking what it would be like if the coach could make adjustments. Standing around flat footed is not a game plan for adjusting to a zone.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 08:02:24 PM by Class71 »
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

tower912

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2020, 08:00:04 PM »
MU moved the ball great against the Pine Bluff zone.   Stood still against OK St.   The difference was the length of the defenders.   Give credit to the D.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2020, 08:02:02 PM »
Can we put this point to bed already?

Did anyone else watch "all or nothing tottenham"? If you did, you'd think Jose is an absolute moron who only spouts cliches and vaguely helpful coach-speak.

But he's not a moron. He just doesn't say any tactical things when the camera is rolling.

Wojo seems to be inept as a tactics coach. But it isn't based on what he says in front of the camera.

We both like suffering (eat at Arby's), but until wojo tells his guys to be "intelligent c*nts" or has an apapaiya apapapa moment, we're f*cked.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2020, 08:04:15 PM »
MU moved the ball great against the Pine Bluff zone.   Stood still against OK St.   The difference was the length of the defenders.   Give credit to the D.

I don’t think this means what you think.  You are essentially saying MU is not capable of competing with top 30 talent.  That isn’t even a great place to be historically. 

Wojo ceiling = not good. 

Class71

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2020, 08:05:17 PM »

I am convinced, give Wojo another 7 years.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

panda

• All American
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2020, 08:11:45 PM »
I don’t think this means what you think.  You are essentially saying MU is not capable of competing with top 30 talent.  That isn’t even a great place to be historically. 

Wojo ceiling = not good.

You kid, but this has always been the rationale from pro jos after a loss like we experienced yesterday.

Opponents are too long...
Can’t play defense with small guards...
Opposing coach has a better game plan...
Flat out saying the opponent is more talented...

Interesting that pro jos backhandedly admit Wojo is incapable of getting more out of his team than the opposition.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2020, 08:12:26 PM »
The ball movement against Pine Bluff was praised.   And then Wojo said he was pleased because they had only worked on their zone offense a little prior to that game.   Yes or no?   MU got completely disrupted by the OK St zone.   Why the difference?   Length.  Dawson not getting the ball at the foul line and not making plays when he did.     

But, a few days earlier, the ball movement against the zone was fine.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2020, 08:20:49 PM »
The ball movement against Pine Bluff was praised.   And then Wojo said he was pleased because they had only worked on their zone offense a little prior to that game.   Yes or no?   MU got completely disrupted by the OK St zone.   Why the difference?   Length.  Dawson not getting the ball at the foul line and not making plays when he did.     

But, a few days earlier, the ball movement against the zone was fine.
Ok you gotta stop hammering on length. The best answer is sometimes the simplest. One team was Kenpom 351 Pine Bluff, the other team was Oklahoma State. There’s your difference. Not “length”. I’m sure Wisconsin, nowhere near as long as OSU, will challenge us with at least some zone on Friday after watching this film.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2020, 08:24:11 PM »
It was Syracuse length.   OK St is a better team than Pine Bluff.   They played their zone better.  They made the players in the floor stand still.   Ar least that is what the OK St coach says.