[Today at 05:56:07 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: General Big East Thread 20-21  (Read 137918 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: General Big East Thread 20-21
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2020, 05:40:46 PM »
So long as Mamu, Cale, and Willard are still around, they’re still very much unlikeable.

Agree 100%. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2020, 05:59:28 PM »
Every year, Willard can't coach, this is the year that Seton Hall finally crumbles.    Every year, they turn out to be a friggin hemorrhoid.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2020, 11:11:44 PM »
Not even trying to be mean but I am in no way surprised. Aiken hasn’t played more than 18 games in a season in four years so I’m not confident that he does much for Seton Hall this year if those injury issues continue

So what you're saying is that Aiken is always achin'?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2020, 09:48:07 AM »
Hahaha, Seton Hall

Celebrating injuries is not cool.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2020, 10:08:49 AM »
I wish the best success for every single Big East Team to strengthen the power of MU opponents and the league. I also wish the best.success for every non-conference MU opponent to also strengthen MU's schedule.

If and when there are games where the above doesn't matter, I would have more varied rooting interest based on individual teams and programs I prefer over others.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2020, 11:00:39 AM »
I wish the best success for every single Big East Team to strengthen the power of MU opponents and the league. I also wish the best.success for every non-conference MU opponent to also strengthen MU's schedule.

If and when there are games where the above doesn't matter, I would have more varied rooting interest based on individual teams and programs I prefer over others.

Not me.

I want the BE as a whole to do really well. But when we are a projected mid pack BE bubble team. We need to differentiate ourselves as much as possible. So for example, MU getting wins against Ok state and/or Wisconsin while SHU drops one to UL. That gives us a bit of an edge.

Otherwise everything will just be a free for all in conference and come down to the standings in exact order.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2020, 01:28:05 PM »
Not me.

I want the BE as a whole to do really well. But when we are a projected mid pack BE bubble team. We need to differentiate ourselves as much as possible. So for example, MU getting wins against Ok state and/or Wisconsin while SHU drops one to UL. That gives us a bit of an edge.

Otherwise everything will just be a free for all in conference and come down to the standings in exact order.

Yeah, this is where I am mostly. It is hard for me to ever really root for Seton Hall and other conference rivals.

I look at it as a win-win scenario: If SH or UConn or Nova or Creighton wins, it's good for the league and likely will help our rating in the end; if one of them loses, that's fine too cuz I don't like them and, like you said, I want to be ranked ahead of them.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2020, 01:31:49 PM »
Not me.

A bit of an edge...for what?  NCAA selection?

When SHU loses to UL, that impacts Marquette's strength of schedule.  You want every Big East team to win every non-conference game.  The NCAA selection committee doesn't have a conference quota or something.  The stronger you make the conference, the deeper the selection goes.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2020, 01:50:20 PM »
A bit of an edge...for what?  NCAA selection?

When SHU loses to UL, that impacts Marquette's strength of schedule.  You want every Big East team to win every non-conference game.  The NCAA selection committee doesn't have a conference quota or something.  The stronger you make the conference, the deeper the selection goes.

Yes for NCAA selection and seeding. SHU losing to UL isn't going to crush our strength of schedule and keep us out lol.

On the flip side, if MU and SHU(or Xavier, Providence, Uconn) are all hovering around the bubble key wins matter for not just getting in but seeding.

Is there a quota on number from each conference? No, but there is a quota for number that get in. And the best way to separate yourself is to beat more quality teams than other teams. While also not losing to trash teams and/or only beating garbage.

I wanna see Nova steam roll in non con. I would prefer to not have Xavier lose to damn Toledo. But if SHU loses to UL, yeah I am good with it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2020, 02:01:09 PM »
On the flip side, if MU and SHU(or Xavier, Providence, Uconn) are all hovering around the bubble key wins matter for not just getting in but seeding.

Is there a quota on number from each conference? No, but there is a quota for number that get in. And the best way to separate yourself is to beat more quality teams than other teams. While also not losing to trash teams and/or only beating garbage.

This ignores the (likely IMHO) possibility that Louisville will also be on the bubble and is getting a quality win over Seton Hall. I think that nullifies any value Seton Hall losing has and has the added detriment of negatively impacting our SOS.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2020, 02:04:40 PM »
As long as Willard is the coach, SHU going 0-fer is fine with me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2020, 02:10:17 PM »
So just to be clear: this guy getting injured for Seton Hall will hurt our seeding?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2020, 02:41:08 PM »
This ignores the (likely IMHO) possibility that Louisville will also be on the bubble and is getting a quality win over Seton Hall. I think that nullifies any value Seton Hall losing has and has the added detriment of negatively impacting our SOS.

Yup that is definitely true too. This early in the year its truly impossible to know which teams are gonna really need wins.

The one thing we do know is 3-7/8 in the BE could be really jumbled. And we are all gonna play each other twice(COVID willing) so getting a leg up on a 5 bubblish teams entering conference play is a quality start.

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2020, 03:17:17 PM »
Yup that is definitely true too. This early in the year its truly impossible to know which teams are gonna really need wins.

The one thing we do know is 3-7/8 in the BE could be really jumbled. And we are all gonna play each other twice(COVID willing) so getting a leg up on a 5 bubblish teams entering conference play is a quality start.

Yeah I don’t think you understand how this works.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2020, 03:22:22 PM »
Yeah I don’t think you understand how this works.

No I understand exactly how this works

If you can't understand, thats your own issue

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2020, 03:31:56 PM »
No I understand exactly how this works

No.  You clearly don't.

Marquette isn't judged only against teams in the Big East.  They are judged against teams throughout all of Division 1.  So it is way too early to know if Seton Hall, Louisville, etc. are going to be on the bubble with Marquette or not.  And if they are, where those teams are placed in their respective conferences isn't at all relevant. 

But what we DO know, is that a Seton Hall team with a stronger record helps Marquette.  It makes a win against them a better win, and/or a loss against them a better loss.  And since they will (hopefully) play them 2 times, and possibly 3, that gives Marquette three opportunities to play a stronger team.  They won't get any chance to play Louisville.

So, if you DID understand this, you would realize that you should want every Big East team to win every non-conference game.

Because...you know...math.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2020, 03:50:25 PM »
No.  You clearly don't.

Marquette isn't judged only against teams in the Big East.  They are judged against teams throughout all of Division 1.  So it is way too early to know if Seton Hall, Louisville, etc. are going to be on the bubble with Marquette or not.  And if they are, where those teams are placed in their respective conferences isn't at all relevant. 

But what we DO know, is that a Seton Hall team with a stronger record helps Marquette.  It makes a win against them a better win, and/or a loss against them a better loss.  And since they will (hopefully) play them 2 times, and possibly 3, that gives Marquette three opportunities to play a stronger team.  They won't get any chance to play Louisville.

So, if you DID understand this, you would realize that you should want every Big East team to win every non-conference game.

Because...you know...math.

LOL clearly reading is hard for you. And per usual you are looking for arguments for the sake of it(very poorly might I add). I already said(in the post you quoted) its far too early.

You seem to be under the impression per your original post that "strength of schedule" is all that matters. Wrong. Extremely, wrong actually.

You have to beat good teams. Quality wins matter. Pounding teams matter. Playing good teams matters. Winning games matters.

I said selection AND SEEDING. Again, reading. You have to be able to do it to be on a message board.

If you think SHU losing to Louisville is going to be what keeps us out of the tournament or knocks us down a seed line. You really do not know how this works. And thats also not good outlook for our chances.

There is a far, far superior chance that in a jumbled Big East. Marquette winning their big non con games while the teams we are jumbled with didn't helps separate us.

Hall losing by 1 to UL isn't destroying our net ranking or SOS. And them winning by 1 isn't boosting us to some promised land.

Like I said, you are looking to argue for the sake of arguing.

I understand perfectly how the selection process goes. A process that greatly takes a look at who you beat and didn't beat outside of conference play.

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2020, 03:57:04 PM »

LOL clearly reading is hard for you. And per usual you are looking for arguments for the sake of it(very poorly might I add). I already said(in the post you quoted) its far too early.

You seem to be under the impression per your original post that "strength of schedule" is all that matters. Wrong. Extremely, wrong actually.

You have to beat good teams. Quality wins matter. Pounding teams matter. Playing good teams matters. Winning games matters.

I said selection AND SEEDING. Again, reading. You have to be able to do it to be on a message board.

If you think SHU losing to Louisville is going to be what keeps us out of the tournament or knocks us down a seed line. You really do not know how this works. And thats also not good outlook for our chances.

There is a far, far superior chance that in a jumbled Big East. Marquette winning their big non con games while the teams we are jumbled with didn't helps separate us.

Hall losing by 1 to UL isn't destroying our net ranking or SOS. And them winning by 1 isn't boosting us to some promised land.

Like I said, you are looking to argue for the sake of arguing.

I understand perfectly how the selection process goes. A process that greatly takes a look at who you beat and didn't beat outside of conference play.

No.  Again, you don't understand. 

You did get one thing right.  Beating good teams matters.  And Marquette will have an opportunity to beat a Seton Hall rated BETTER because they beat a Louisville team, instead of losing to one.

And dismissing me because I'm running laps around you is very transparent.  Just throw up the white flag already.  Or don't and I can rip another hole in your bad argument.  The choice is yours.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2020, 03:59:26 PM »

No.  Again, you don't understand. 

You did get one thing right.  Beating good teams matters.  And Marquette will have an opportunity to beat a Seton Hall rated BETTER because they beat a Louisville team, instead of losing to one.

And dismissing me because I'm running laps around you is very transparent.  Just throw up the white flag already.  Or don't and I can rip another hole in your bad argument.  The choice is yours.

No I do understand.

lol someone that is creating their own arguments for the sake of doing it. Then trying to claim victory is a defeated man.l

You haven't got anything right. So I guess you awarded me 1, to your 0.

Now, take your daily asperger outburst somewhere else.

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2020, 04:00:55 PM »
No I do understand.

lol someone that is creating their own arguments for the sake of doing it. Then trying to claim victory is a defeated man.l

You haven't got anything right. So I guess you awarded me 1, to your 0.

Now, take your daily asperger outburst somewhere else.

Classy. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2020, 04:37:57 PM »

I think it’s about time you tap out.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2020, 04:47:14 PM »
Not me.

The Big East needs to get as many NCAA bids as possible. MU has a better chance of making NCAA, if the Big East gets 6 or 7 bids than it does if it gets only four bids. We need to root for every Big East team to win in non-conference.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2020, 08:42:27 PM »
The Big East needs to get as many NCAA bids as possible. MU has a better chance of making NCAA, if the Big East gets 6 or 7 bids than it does if it gets only four bids. We need to root for every Big East team to win in non-conference.
Every year I root for the entire Big East in non conference to win big in every game. This helps every team in the league.  We then have the advantage of a 20 game conference schedule with no weak teams anywhere.  The strong non conference performance  puts our league in a position to get the maximum of bids because every team starts out in higher position in the NET rankings relative to those in other leagues.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2020, 09:19:55 PM »
Going to overtime on ESPNU.
 Virginia Tech 64 #3 Villanova 64.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 09:21:26 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

feedback