collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vote!  (Read 85766 times)

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
Re: Vote!
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2020, 07:48:44 PM »
  i'm just going to hang up and listen-

“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

― Jesse Jackson

At least you're unapologetically an a**hole.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2020, 08:22:22 PM »
As of today, 47 million ballots have been cast, or 34% of the entire total in 2016.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2020, 08:33:19 PM »

“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

― Jesse Jackson

These days, the scariest thing is a white guy with a shaved head, beard, tats, an AR15, and access to the internet. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2020, 08:39:16 PM »
Voter suppression continues unabated.

Republican lawsuits everywhere. Criminally slow mail delivery in democratic areas. Threats against democratic voters. Intimidation at the polls. Fewer polling places in black areas.

That is NOT democracy!

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #154 on: October 23, 2020, 08:40:08 PM »
At least you're unapologetically an a**hole.

Yes. Scoop has its racists.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2020, 08:58:51 PM »

― Jesse Jackson

Lol. A quote from 27 years ago that makes you feel good.

You are something.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2020, 09:01:35 PM »

― Jesse Jackson

Wow.

It’s sad that you are so proud of thinking that using some old Jesse Jackson quote gives you “permission” to be a total racist.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #157 on: October 24, 2020, 09:10:07 AM »
Early voting numbers 18-29 year olds:

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2020, 09:20:56 AM »
If you are voting today, or if you know someone who is voting and in need of a free hot meal, these are some of the World Central Kitchen free hot meal locations today across the country:

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2020, 04:18:12 PM »
There have been nearly 60 million ballots cast so far, which is approaching 44% of the total vote count in 2016. And that’s without any report yet from New York (which began early voting yesterday), and with slightly delayed reports from most other states.

A total of 150 million or more seems very attainable. This level of engagement is a good thing for democracy.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2020, 04:47:47 PM »
There have been nearly 60 million ballots cast so far, which is approaching 44% of the total vote count in 2016. And that’s without any report yet from New York (which began early voting yesterday), and with slightly delayed reports from most other states.

A total of 150 million or more seems very attainable. This level of engagement is a good thing for democracy.

Nate Silver has predicted 154 million voters.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2020, 04:58:32 PM »

But bad for the Republican Party.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2020, 05:30:50 PM »

One report I saw is an expected 66% voter turnout this election. 2008 was 62%. We’ll see.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2020, 07:38:53 PM »
"There's no wrong way to get to the polls."

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1320520594895622144?s=19

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2020, 08:18:17 PM »
Nate Silver has predicted 154 million voters.

I was just going to post that.
For perspective 2016 saw 137 million voters.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2020, 08:25:23 PM »
45 is going to wind up being the worst thing to happen to both political parties. To Democrats because, well we are where we are now. And to Republicans because Democrats have waken up to the fact that we can wind up with an asshat in the White House if you don’t get out and use your vote.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2020, 08:33:35 PM »
45 is going to wind up being the worst thing to happen to both political parties. To Democrats because, well we are where we are now. And to Republicans because Democrats have waken up to the fact that we can wind up with an asshat in the White House if you don’t get out and use your vote.

Dems should also learn that non-prez elections also matter. That’s when many statehouses are won, and they set the future through gerrymandering. The Dems did show up in 2018 to flip the House, but even that was motivated by disgust with the guy in the White House.

Just ... Vote!!

And that goes for Independents and Republicans, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2020, 10:05:05 PM »
Indeed, this reminds me of a week after Gov. Walker lost in Wisconsin.  He said something odd in a radio interview:  It was his 3rd election in 4 years, and he'd gotten more votes in the loss than in the two wins.

I couldn't believe that, but he was right.  Don't quote me on the numbers, but he found like 200k more votes than ever, but the Dems found 600k more, and that's all she wrote.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2020, 08:58:53 PM »
My kinda-roommate MU '91 became a Jesuit .. he posted this tonight:

https://www.facebook.com/mcdsj/videos/10158706331623563

"On Voting and Hell."    Worth a watch.  Yes, it's on Facebook.  No, you don't need an account.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2020, 09:24:21 AM »
Some pretty amazing voting numbers here. In battleground states, 55% of the total votes in 2016 have already been recorded...with a full week to go before Election Day. In Texas, an incredible 82% of the 2016 total votes have already been cast.

Voters in Battleground States Are Driving Record Early Turnout

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/10/27/us/politics/election-voter-turnout.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #170 on: October 27, 2020, 09:57:39 AM »
With rampant voter suppression, it is important that as many people as possible vote as early as possible to make sure their votes count. Example, Supreme Court 5-3 decision yesterday in Wisconsin said absentee ballots will not be counted within six days after the election as a previously Federal Court ruled.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/supreme-court-wisconsin-absentee-ballots-ruling-against/

Today for example is the last day to vote early in person in Pennsylvania. Either bring your completed ballot and drop off or get a new one in person and vote today.

30 states require absentee ballots to be received by election day. Mail is only running 85% on time. Hand deliver those ballots if you can because it is just about too late to mail in many states.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #171 on: October 27, 2020, 12:08:21 PM »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #172 on: October 27, 2020, 01:01:33 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't Wisconsin's vote-by-mail law always been that you had to have your ballot to the clerk by 8:00 PM on Election Day?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #173 on: October 27, 2020, 01:14:12 PM »
I’m working a voter hotline and we are already telling people to drop off their ballots in person.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2020, 02:08:48 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't Wisconsin's vote-by-mail law always been that you had to have your ballot to the clerk by 8:00 PM on Election Day?

Yes, but there was a proposal to extend it due to Covid (and the anticipated increase in absentee voting).

I would have liked to see the change...but don't see the Court's ruling as a huge deal. Anyone who has been paying attention should either have voted by now, turn their ballot in in person, or be planning to vote Nov. 3.