[Today at 03:40:45 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Extra year of eligibility for winter athletes?  (Read 9260 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Extra year of eligibility for winter athletes?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2020, 01:56:44 PM »
Where do you see that? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/14/ncaa-winter-sports-extra-eligibility/

"For fall sports, seniors who return for an extra season during the 2021-22 academic year will not count toward the team’s scholarship limit. However, in the years that follow, schools cannot exceed the limit, even though athletes on the team still would be allowed extra eligibility. In those cases, if schools choose to let athletes use their extra season of eligibility, it would effectively take away that scholarship from incoming recruits. The Division I Council’s announcement did not specify whether those same rules would be applied for winter sports."

Logically, there is no reason to comment on years after 2021-22 if this only applied to seniors. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2020, 02:07:48 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/14/ncaa-winter-sports-extra-eligibility/

"For fall sports, seniors who return for an extra season during the 2021-22 academic year will not count toward the team’s scholarship limit. However, in the years that follow, schools cannot exceed the limit, even though athletes on the team still would be allowed extra eligibility. In those cases, if schools choose to let athletes use their extra season of eligibility, it would effectively take away that scholarship from incoming recruits. The Division I Council’s announcement did not specify whether those same rules would be applied for winter sports."

Logically, there is no reason to comment on years after 2021-22 if this only applied to seniors.

And I believe it was the same for the spring 2020 season, although that was a different situation in that their seasons were fully shut down.  But I can't imagine they'd offer an extra year of eligibility to all classes for fall and spring, and then only to seniors for winter.

Theo playing this season and then being back for the 2021-2022 season would be nice.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2020, 05:06:16 PM »

Thanks.  Helpful.

So basically all college athletes get an extra year, but that will require a team making space for them in the scholership count following 21-22 season.  Nice little perk I suppose with a younger roster. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2020, 06:30:14 PM »
No I don't think so.  I think it's everyone.
This is the way I took it. Basically, they said they were going to grant the extra year now, so players do not redshirt, because the season might go in the tank.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2020, 07:03:50 PM »
So this means we get one more year out of Wade, right?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2020, 07:08:19 PM »
O'tule can finally come back for his tenth season.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2020, 09:45:40 PM »
O'tule can finally come back for his tenth season.

We call him Professor O'tule at this point right?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2020, 09:26:01 AM »

It's possible he may have signed with an agent at some point. Could someone check this?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2020, 09:31:12 AM »
Since we are thin upfront, Jim Chones is available?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2020, 10:30:49 AM »
Should Perez immediately apply for a waiver to play this season? It seems to me it would be a mistake to redshirt as he had planned to.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2020, 10:32:31 AM »
Should Perez immediately apply for a waiver to play this season? It seems to me it would be a mistake to redshirt as he had planned to.

Good point.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2020, 10:36:28 AM »

Thought process being that he could play out his 2 years, and then get a the extra Covid year, as opposed to sitting this one out and then playing out his last 2 years?

Are we sure that if he redshirts this year, we won't be eligible for the extra year anyway?

If a guy is currently a 5th year senior, I would assume that 5th senior isn't exempt from the new covid eligibility rule, so not sure why Perez would be any different (other than he would count towards the 13 scholarships in his 5th year of play). 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2020, 08:30:39 AM »
Thought process being that he could play out his 2 years, and then get a the extra Covid year, as opposed to sitting this one out and then playing out his last 2 years?

Are we sure that if he redshirts this year, we won't be eligible for the extra year anyway?

If a guy is currently a 5th year senior, I would assume that 5th senior isn't exempt from the new covid eligibility rule, so not sure why Perez would be any different (other than he would count towards the 13 scholarships in his 5th year of play).

I do not know for sure. However, they said the reason why they were making the decision now was so players did not decide to redshirt because they were afraid the season would be shorten. It stands to reason they are not going to give an extra year to a player who is redshirting.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2020, 09:07:18 AM »
He will get the extra year. It’s now six years to play five.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2020, 10:49:52 AM »
Seriously, unless Perez really doesn't want to play this season, why wouldn't he go for a waiver? Or has the deadline already passed for such a thing?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2020, 01:39:53 PM »
Unless something has changed, Perez is not seeking a waiver. I think when he was recruited the coaches presented a plan about how they would use his redshirt year to up his game and I think he liked what he heard.

While most athletes would prefer to play over redshirt, there are a few who see and appreciate the benefit of a year off. Its really an underutilized tool in college basketball.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2020, 03:14:05 PM »
Unless something has changed, Perez is not seeking a waiver. I think when he was recruited the coaches presented a plan about how they would use his redshirt year to up his game and I think he liked what he heard.

While most athletes would prefer to play over redshirt, there are a few who see and appreciate the benefit of a year off. Its really an underutilized tool in college basketball.

Thanks TAMU.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2020, 03:42:28 PM »

Didn't he already have a year left?
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2020, 04:00:08 PM »
Next offseason is going to be wild. Some seniors staying, some leaving, possibly instant transfers. I hope we are prepping now. Those not prepared for the new world order could get left behind quickly.
TAMU

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2020, 06:30:25 PM »

Thanks for the update.

And I agree with you on the redshirt year. The combination of academics and playing a high D1 level must be pretty overwhelming. If a kid isn’t expected to play much anyway, I can see how a redshirt year could be a godsend. Gives him the opportunity to advance his academics, be part of the team, but not have the added pressure of being game ready if he isn’t expected to play.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2020, 09:29:05 PM »
I think it basically comes down to this. Redshirt this year and play 2021-22 & 2022-23. Do not redshirt this year and play 2020-2021, 2021-2022 and 2022-2023.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2020, 09:34:59 PM »
I think it basically comes down to this. Redshirt this year and play 2021-22 & 2022-23. Do not redshirt this year and play 2020-2021, 2021-2022 and 2022-2023.

I don't believe this is correct. I think the first option is redshirt this year, play 2021-2024.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2020, 10:15:43 PM »
I don't believe this is correct. I think the first option is redshirt this year, play 2021-2024.

I guess the question is if one has to play the 2020-21 season to get the extra COVID year. If that's the only shortened year, I can see playing that season being a requirement. Maybe play 20-21 and sit out a later year? Obviously that's not the plan, though.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2020, 07:11:19 AM »
I guess the question is if one has to play the 2020-21 season to get the extra COVID year. If that's the only shortened year, I can see playing that season being a requirement. Maybe play 20-21 and sit out a later year? Obviously that's not the plan, though.

As I understand it, it’s just giving someone six seasons to complete five years of eligibility, so you can redshirt this year.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2020, 12:19:29 PM »
Next offseason is going to be wild. Some seniors staying, some leaving, possibly instant transfers. I hope we are prepping now. Those not prepared for the new world order could get left behind quickly.

Decisions are likely being prepared for already as to who gets asked to return and who gets shown the door. Schools are going to have difficulty managing larger rosters and paying for more scholarships. Wisconsin took the “you played four years, time to move on to real life” position in the spring which seemed harsh but now may become the norm. Would MU be ok with 17 women’s scholarship players next year?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback