[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Planning for the Holidays  (Read 6932 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: Planning for the Holidays
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2020, 02:13:12 PM »
I’ve been to a funeral for very healthy grandma who gave into pressure for “just this once” graduation party in May. And I have another friend with a Mom who just suffered a Covid induced stroke.  She was a “this is a hoax” gal up until she had no feeling in the left side of her body.

It ain’t about Kansell-ing, it’s about surviving.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:23:56 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2020, 02:15:26 PM »
The two firefighters I work with will not be seeing their mothers this Christmas, as both mothers died from COVID.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2020, 02:49:24 PM »
I’ve been to a funeral for very healthy grandma who gave into pressure for “just this once” graduation party in May. And I have another friend with a Mom who just suffered a Covid induced stroke.  She was a “this is a hoax” gal up until she had no feeling in the left side of her body.

It ain’t about Kansell-ing, it’s about surviving.

And let me just say, I’m not at all afraid of this disease.  I eat out 2-3 times a week (90% outdoors), my kids are in school face to face 5 days a week, they all play their normal sports and we socialize outdoors pretty extensively with friend / neighbors.   

But pack 25 family members into someone’s living room in December to open up presents?  No thanks. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2020, 05:12:06 PM »
Have Christmas as usual. That'll show da vid.

Killing grandma to own the libs is back baby.

Hey! We’ll miss the guy.

Won’t we? ::)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2020, 06:01:38 PM »
C'mon Goo, you, more so than probably anyone else on this board, know that co-morbidities play a huge role in the outcome of covid positive patients. Cain certainly had his share. Quit feeding the media driven paranoia and hysteria, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2020, 06:15:35 PM »
C'mon Goo, you, more so than probably anyone else on this board, know that co-morbidities play a huge role in the outcome of covid positive patients. Cain certainly had his share. Quit feeding the media driven paranoia and hysteria, hey?

So do many of my family members.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2020, 06:17:49 PM »

Yeah, but I also know a huge portion of the US population is overweight or obese, heart and lung disease is widespread, and lots of peoples' grandmas and grandpas have a big bullseye on 'em just due to age. Herman Cain's comorbidities are just a microcosm of the US....

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2020, 06:29:38 PM »
Quit feeding the media driven paranoia and hysteria, hey?

Could you please expound on the "hysteria"?  What exactly is the media telling us we shouldn't do that you think people should be doing?

Most here are dining outside, supporting local businesses when possible, planning small holiday gatherings, and some are even going to the dentist (gasp!)

If you're gonna throw a fit, please describe the problem precisely.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2020, 06:53:09 PM »
I'm not advocating negligence in one's behavior with regards to everyday activities. However, we all know people who literally won't see their adult children, won't go to the store, won't dine outside, won't surface from their bunker, or have sex with their spouse without wearing a mask. This is literally crazy behavior.
Literally for 7 months now, covid is the lead story on the news. Economies are being shut down, jobs lost, and relationships severed. Insanity? Of course, its nuts. Can anyone "control" the virus? Not until there's a vaccine. But, vaccines are only about 50% effective when protecting against the flu. Why do we think the efficacy vs. covid will be any greater.
Bottom line--learn to navigate during these times and proceed about your business. Make level headed decisions and don't let the virus control your every move. We've all paid an astronomical price already, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2020, 07:05:13 PM »
or have sex with their spouse without wearing a mask. This is literally crazy behavior.

Wow did you just shame bondage masks, furries and masquerade orgies? Rude.
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2020, 07:05:20 PM »
I'm not advocating negligence in one's behavior with regards to everyday activities. However, we all know people who literally won't see their adult children, won't go to the store, won't dine outside, won't surface from their bunker, or have sex with their spouse without wearing a mask. This is literally crazy behavior.
Literally for 7 months now, covid is the lead story on the news. Economies are being shut down, jobs lost, and relationships severed. Insanity? Of course, its nuts. Can anyone "control" the virus? Not until there's a vaccine. But, vaccines are only about 50% effective when protecting against the flu. Why do we think the efficacy vs. covid will be any greater.
Bottom line--learn to navigate during these times and proceed about your business. Make level headed decisions and don't let the virus control your every move. We've all paid an astronomical price already, hey?

So you've decided to go full hyperbole when no one is suggesting that the virus should control their every move.

People are saying that having dozens of people gathering together in someone's house is probably not a good idea for the Holidays.  I mean, people have caught this thing going to family funerals and weddings.  Thanksgiving and Christmas are similar right?

We will celebrate with our adult children.  We won't be doing extended celebrations with our brothers, sisters, neices, nephews, etc.  It sucks because I enjoy our gatherings, but it's just not worth it.

And I go to work everyday.  Go to the store.  Out to eat on occasion.  Planning to go to dinner at another couple's on Saturday.  So yeah, I am not in a bunker by any means.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2020, 07:27:13 PM »
However, we all know people who literally won't see their adult children, won't go to the store, won't dine outside, won't surface from their bunker, or have sex with their spouse without wearing a mask. This is literally crazy behavior.

I actually know NONE of those people.  And I live in a super "liberal" area.  Actually, two super liberal areas, but that's a different story.  Maybe you're talking about crazy conservatives with actual bunkers?  I donno.

I also don't think I've seen any Scoop members saying those things.  And that's not what the "extreme left media" is saying either.  So, maybe take your frustration out with all the people that you actually know that are, well, literally crazy. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2020, 07:56:48 PM »
I actually know NONE of those people.  And I live in a super "liberal" area.  Actually, two super liberal areas, but that's a different story.  Maybe you're talking about crazy conservatives with actual bunkers?  I donno.

I also don't think I've seen any Scoop members saying those things.  And that's not what the "extreme left media" is saying either.  So, maybe take your frustration out with all the people that you actually know that are, well, literally crazy.

+1.  To me it sounds like he is buying into the media he consumes.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2020, 08:03:26 PM »

+2 I have not talked to a single person who is taking it anywhere near that far.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2020, 09:20:50 PM »

+3. I don’t know any of these people.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2020, 09:43:02 PM »

Never heard of these people, someone needs to turn off the cable news and enjoy life responsibly.

No co-morbidities 4ever? Age is surely getting up there, BMI holding good? Lots of meat eating going on between you and your fellow Marquette boys, heart’s in tip-top shape?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2020, 06:33:08 AM »
Physiologically 25 yo, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2020, 07:46:55 AM »

I believe many people would prefer to not be dying of COVID-19 at rates higher than 18 other high income countries. I believe many would like to see some basic competence.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/10/13/923253681/americans-are-dying-in-the-pandemic-at-rates-far-higher-than-in-other-countries?utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2020, 08:54:25 AM »

As others have said .. I don't know anyone like what you are describing.   -- But indeed, I know they exist.   People who go overboard on risk-aversion exist.  It's clear they are a minority.

Their extreme, minority behavior is similar to the bozos going to packed political rallies with no masks.   

At least the risk-averse are not adding to the pandemic, which is nice.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2020, 08:59:39 AM »

Thanks for the follow up. I share your reservations about vaccine efficacy. My hope is that this thing goes out with a whimper via a combination of a reasonably effective vaccine, with repetitive doses for individuals with significant comorbidities if necessary, and the virus not mutating and losing potency over time. 

For me the most difficult part of navigating this is never being more than a degree or two from folks with pretty serious comorbidities.  I suspect that's the case for most scoopers, more than personal fear of what the virus would do to them, and the fatigue of how to navigate what "being responsible" means in that context is very real. Professionally, my partner and I both have jobs that require us to come into contact with older folks on a pretty regular basis and that plays a huge role in our personal choices, on top of the standard "how to be a good citizen in the covid age" questions.  I don't say that to sound like a martyr - my motivation to protect my own conscience is enough to shift responsible behavior from altruistic to selfish.  But aside from guidance on masks, large gatherings, etc., we're all kind of figuring this out as we go, so I appreciate as many data points on the tough calls on the margins as I can get.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2020, 09:07:32 AM »
I will try to get this back on track from the pontification.

We are staying local this year even though traditionally we would travel to see family out of state (usually alternate).  We will likely see our family that is local, which includes some of the older set.  Until recently the virus has been pretty under control here, making these choices a little more casual, but depending on the path of this uptick, we will probably decide to make our circle smaller leading into the weeks preceding Thanksgiving and Christmas - just to be a little more certain.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2020, 09:55:28 AM »
We usually go to the Chicago Thanksgiving Parade, so that's obviously not going to happen. May try to deep fry a turkey. Tower, can I have you on speed dial?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2020, 12:49:50 PM »
Just don't.   But if you do, have somebody record it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2020, 01:23:15 PM »
As others have said .. I don't know anyone like what you are describing.   -- But indeed, I know they exist.   People who go overboard on risk-aversion exist.  It's clear they are a minority.

Their extreme, minority behavior is similar to the bozos going to packed political rallies with no masks.   

At least the risk-averse are not adding to the pandemic, which is nice.

My boss hasnt left her house or yard since March.  She wont go to a park to walk her dog.  Wont go to a store, won't go to the woods, nothing.

She's a little nutty in normal times, but not too bad.  Now, ....yikes.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2020, 01:27:04 PM »
My boss hasnt left her house or yard since March.  She wont go to a park to walk her dog.  Wont go to a store, won't go to the woods, nothing.

She's a little nutty in normal times, but not too bad.  Now, ....yikes.

But does she have sex with a mask on?