[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Planning for the Holidays  (Read 6933 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Planning for the Holidays
« on: October 12, 2020, 04:23:47 PM »
Anybody here trying to figure out ways to have some semblance of a normal Christmas or Thanksgiving?

My family just started trying to figure out a way to do Christmas Eve still figured if anyone has strategies it'd be a good place to bounce ideas off each other.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Planning for the Holidays
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 04:36:32 PM »
We've already crossed Thanksgiving off, no one in immediate family wants to risk getting together. My 89yo mother still has us get her groceries etc.
We haven't heard if Trick or Treat will be held here but we have decided we will not be participating other than giving small gift bags to the next door neighbor's kids.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 08:50:19 AM by Spotcheck Billy »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 04:43:01 PM »
No get together for X-mas this year.

Gathering is always at our house, so I get the final decisions.

No hardcore trumpers in the family = no disagreement over not getting together.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 05:06:00 PM »
The holiday spirit is dead, much like the soul of this once great society.

Eat at Arby’s.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 05:24:36 PM »
Sister isn’t flying in for thanksgiving or Xmas.  Small gathering this year on my end
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 05:35:37 PM »
No large family gatherings for us this year. They may still happen but without us.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 06:02:26 PM »
Thanksgiving has been completely nixed.

We had discussed doing a Christkindlemart style outdoor family party in a backyard. Obviously very weather dependent but doing Christmas lights overhead, outdoor christmas tree, hot drinks, etc it's a seemingly safe way to get everyone to have a celebration assuming nobody gets cold after a few drinks and goes indoors.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 07:22:39 PM »
Thanksgiving it will likely just be my parents and brother at our house.

Extended family on my dad's side doesn't care about risk, and will still have a normal Christmas Eve. We won't be attending, and I'm debating how hard of a line to take with my folks on it.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 07:42:02 PM »
no way I'm getting on plane. My family is a 5 hour flight away.

Besides, no matter who wins the Presidential election on November 3 this country is going to be a dystopian hellscape when the other side loses their goddamn minds so staying inside is the way I'm going.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 08:59:26 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 08:16:55 PM »
Nothing big for us this year. Too many elderly family members, and frankly too much risk even for others. The virus is way too widespread, and things will likely get worse in the coming months.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 08:42:17 PM »
Both holidays are normally just my wife and I and the 2 kids plus my mom and my mother-in-law.  No mother-in-law this year because she's not making her normal international holiday travel from Poland.   Just 5.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 09:37:17 PM »
My elderly mother is pissed because we are not packing up the family and flying to NE for family Christmas. I told her she’s out of her mind for thinking we’d even consider doing so. She has multiple underlying health issues but, with the help of Fox News has convinced herself that it would all be fine. This despite a 30 year career as a nurse.

We do have my sister-in-law and her college aged son coming up from FL. But that will be all.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 09:43:00 PM »
Thanksgiving .. cancelled.  Christmas .. cancelled.

We'd given some thought to maybe all of us getting tested but .. the logistics are nuts.

I've lived in WI for 30 years now .. I've spent zero Christmases and .. two Thanksgivings here.   Gonna be odd.  And sad.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 10:39:33 PM »
I think Thanksgiving and Christmas will just be my husband, kids and I at home.  This will be the first time ever I'm not with my parents at Christmas :(.  I haven't seen my parents in person since last Chrisstmas and am not sure when/if that will happen again.  My Dad has had some health issues so my parents are nervous about us exposing them to Covid.  We were going to visit them at the end of the month but how poorly Wisconsin is doing with the number of Covid cases made them reconsider our visit.  And as of now, we couldn't technically go for the long weekend we wanted to anyway as they live in a state that is requiring a 14 day quarantine for people from Wisconsin.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 11:16:24 PM »
We are thinking about locking down the week+ before Christmas so we can see family.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 09:05:23 AM »
We are thinking about locking down the week+ before Christmas so we can see family.

Our grade school is going full virtual for the 2 weeks before Christmas so that teachers / students can get in a 14 day Quarantine in the event they want to go see family for the Holidays.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 09:36:30 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread Galway.  While everyone's circumstances are going to be different, I already really appreciate seeing what other similarly-situated folks are doing.

We've pretty much ruled out any Thanksgiving get together, but that probably would have happened anyway due to work schedules.  Christmas is kind of an elephant in the room at the moment but the closer it gets the less likely any type of gatherings seem.  But I'm interested to see what creative solutions others are coming up with.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 09:39:18 AM by MUBurrow »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 09:42:31 AM »
Kansell Turkey dey, kansell xmas, chanukah, and qwansa. Blast da 'hole fookin' kountry and ekonomy into da stratosphere wit know gravity. Let da vid kontrol y'all's lives, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 09:49:36 AM »

I should say that I think we will be doing something similar.  But the issue I have is that I doubt many family members will be doing the same.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2020, 09:51:50 AM »
Kansell Turkey dey, kansell xmas, chanukah, and qwansa. Blast da 'hole fookin' kountry and ekonomy into da stratosphere wit know gravity. Let da vid kontrol y'all's lives, hey?

I mean, we're still buying presents for people.

And it's like you aren't paying attention.  People proclaiming they aren't going to let Covid control their lives, are by and large the ones responsible for the ridiculous situation we find ourselves in now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2020, 09:55:13 AM »
Late 70's parents opting out of both.   50-something siblings still undecided.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2020, 10:00:39 AM »

Have Christmas as usual. That'll show da vid.

Killing grandma to own the libs is back baby.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2020, 10:58:51 AM »

Haven’t seen anyone advocate that in this thread.  Have seen people say they’re doing things differently this year and adjusting to a pandemic. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2020, 11:39:52 AM »
Starting to get pressure from our "this is a hoax" relatives to get together, but they have been travelling as well as going out to bars this whole time.

We are, instead, going to have a friendsmas with people in Chicago that we know are taking this seriously. Probably get takeout from Alinea for Thanksgiving, but no plans for xmas yet. The pro-plauge relative are mad, but they are always mad about something these days. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2020, 01:51:53 PM »

Nah, better for everyone to just go on living their lives. Like Herman Cain.

Oh, wait....