Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

Academic All Americans by MU82
[Today at 07:39:55 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by MU82
[Today at 07:37:16 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Back to School Reports  (Read 9805 times)

injuryBug

• Team Captain
Back to School Reports
« on: September 15, 2020, 07:38:12 PM »
Just wanted to hear how other schools are doing for those going back.
My kids are in middle school and high school (wife a teacher in elementary) 100% in person unless you wanted to go virtual.
As of tomorrow the middle school is virtual for 14 days cause of some cases (the first of which was a false positive). No idea how many cases.
Have a friend in Alabama and their district sends out a weekly update with how many cases have been found in the district.  Wish they would do that here

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: Back to School Reports
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 09:08:54 PM »
Here in northern suburban Atlanta, our kids (2 middle, 1 elementary) have been been back in school since 8/13. The school district  communicates every evening about confirmed cases in each school. So far (knock on wood) zero confirmed cases in the schools where our kids go, 98 total in 36 schools covering 39,000 face to face students. Weekly cases peaked in week three (33) and have declined each of the following weeks.

I don’t know why, but our county has had far fewer cases than surrounding Atlanta metro counties and that has somehow carried over into the schools. We are lucky.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 11:40:52 PM »
My son-in-law and grandson both were sick yesterday, so they went in to be tested. They were told they would get results in 5-7 days.

Why even give a test when there is that much lag time?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 07:55:47 AM »
My son-in-law and grandson both were sick yesterday, so they went in to be tested. They were told they would get results in 5-7 days.

Why even give a test when there is that much lag time?

Sometimes they say that to be conservative. They told me 5 business days when I took a test on a Thursday and had my results on Sunday..
Have some patience, FFS.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 08:19:23 AM »
Sometimes they say that to be conservative. They told me 5 business days when I took a test on a Thursday and had my results on Sunday..

Hopefully, that’s the case.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 08:28:58 AM »
Week 3 at our Catholic grade school in Milwaukee 'burbs.  100% face to face.  So far no cases.  My kids say mask usage is close to 100%, teachers have said by and large it hasn't been an issue. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 10:18:24 AM »
Our school is closed today to adjust for 3-5 starting in person tomorrow, along with k-2. 

Kids are masked, all of the doors are being used for entry/exit vs just the front & gym doors in past years, lunch in classrooms, playground is divided by classroom. 

No cases through week 3, fortunately.

6-8 start next Monday.  Going for 2 days, then an off day to allow the school to make any changes based on the first 2 days of k-8.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 10:35:05 AM »
K-5 full face to face in middle of third week....couple suspected cases that turned out to be negative, according to district Covid dashboard only 1 student case amongst 6 different campuses and no teacher cases so far.  🤞🤞

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 03:41:15 PM »
Our schools, a third are virtual, a third on M-T, a third on Th-Fri.    Classes are 10-15 kids.  They stay in their room and the teachers move around.  All masked.

So far, one middle, one grade school student has tested positive.  8 kids were "close contacts" and quarantined.

If anyone is interested .. this is the documentation used for our most recent district meeting on school opening phases .. I found the metrics amazingly detailed.

https://go.boarddocs.com/wi/wfbschools/Board.nsf/files/BTFM5A59094F/$file/WFBHACIntro%26MetricsPresentation_09142020.pdf

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 04:18:10 PM »
6th and 8th graders.  Our middle school returned to school 8/20 100% with ~15% going virtual. 0 positives, 1 with symptoms (turned out to be strep) and 12 (<10%) in quarantine from outside contact (6 of them from the same flag football team). Middle school is about 140 kids.

For the whole school, Toddler - 8, no positive cases in kids or faculty. I don't know the % of virtual or self quarantine outside of middle school.

Public schools here just started 9/8 so too early to tell.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 05:17:02 PM »
6th and 8th graders.  Our middle school returned to school 8/20 100% with ~15% going virtual. 0 positives, 1 with symptoms (turned out to be strep) and 12 (<10%) in quarantine from outside contact (6 of them from the same flag football team). Middle school is about 140 kids.

For the whole school, Toddler - 8, no positive cases in kids or faculty. I don't know the % of virtual or self quarantine outside of middle school.

Chicago suburbs? 

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 07:11:11 PM »
Chicago Public Schools started after Labor Day, I think all the suburbs start in August.
A friend told me her niece runs cross-country for one of the Catholic high schools here in Chicago, and that a number of athletes, including her niece, tested positive after a meet. Just anecdotal info.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 08:56:15 PM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 11:16:59 AM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2020, 08:49:28 PM »

AAAANNNNNDDDD one of those kids got symptomatic and tested positive. The school did contact tracing and everyone that had 'significant contact' has to go virtual learning for two weeks. The phrasing 'significant contact' seems oddly vague so I asked for clarification but it'll be interesting to see how many 8th graders are physically there tomorrow.

It'll be interesting to see if the extra precautions the school took that I was so confident in 48hrs ago limit this to only external contact, do absolutely nothing, or if it doesn't matter what we do if X% of society doesn't care + a virus that doesn't care.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2020, 08:53:18 PM »
AAAANNNNNDDDD one of those kids got symptomatic and tested positive. The school did contact tracing and everyone that had 'significant contact' has to go virtual learning for two weeks. The phrasing 'significant contact' seems oddly vague so I asked for clarification but it'll be interesting to see how many 8th graders are physically there tomorrow.

It'll be interesting to see if the extra precautions the school took that I was so confident in 48hrs ago limit this to only external contact, do absolutely nothing, or if it doesn't matter what we do if X% of society doesn't care + a virus that doesn't care.

our school District uses close contact as the term 15 straight minutes of being 6 ft or closer.  So in our HS a student tested positive.  They have assigned seats in pods for classes so all those that sat in the students pod of 4 are virtual the next 2 weeks.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2020, 09:04:39 PM »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2020, 09:32:26 PM »
My kids have been back since Sep. 1st.  My 3rd grader is everyday face to face and my 8th grader is a hybrid schedule - Mon is virtual for everyone and then kids go to school either Tue/Thu or Wed/Fri and are virtual the other two days.  So far there have been some cases in our District but none yet at the two schools my kids are at.  I do appreciate that our District created a dashboard that's updated hourly with the number of active cases per school per student and staff and number of students and staff on quarantine from each school.  As of tonight, one elementary school in the District has 12 staff on quarantine and that seems like a lot of staff to replace tomorrow and I really don't think they have many subs available this year (this school has 1 student and 1 staff member with an active case).

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2020, 09:41:11 PM »
wish we had a dashboard.  My wife works in the district and even she does not know the clear number of cases in the district.  We think 1 at elementary, 3 in middle and 1 at HS so far

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2020, 09:45:59 PM »
wish we had a dashboard.  My wife works in the district and even she does not know the clear number of cases in the district.  We think 1 at elementary, 3 in middle and 1 at HS so far

I didn't think our District was going to do one and was so glad to see one at the end of the first week of school.  I like it also as I know at another elementary school in the District they only notified the grade the student was in when there was a positive case.  I'd like to know if there's a positive case at one of my kids' schools even if it is a different grade.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2020, 09:46:04 PM »

Same here. My wife works at a local middle school, and the lack of transparency has been disappointing to say the least.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2020, 08:57:48 AM »
We get an email everytime a case pops up in one of our kids schools.  That email has not always come though so one day I get it the next time my wife gets one.  we are not sure if it is the same case or different cases.  Makes things very confusing.  with this much better to have too much info out there than not enough

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2020, 11:06:24 AM »
My daughter's high school has a weekly update.  They notified everyone that one student test positive last week and they would be contacting all the close contacts only from the contract tracing to quarantine.

My wife's school is in the hybrid model now and is trying to go back all in-person 5 days a week.  Apparently the hybrid is great from the health perspective, but driving teachers and parents crazy with the schedule.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2020, 11:35:26 AM »
Son started pre-school three weeks ago. He goes twice a week. Loves wearing his dino face shield and doesn't mind the mask.

The entire pre-school has had no issue with kids not wearing masks, washing hands constantly and keeping space between each other.

Daughter will likely start a hybrid schedule in October sometime. Has really embraced virtual learning and is doing well.

Who would've thought kids would be so resilient?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2020, 12:13:35 PM »
More resilient than their parents and grandparents.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback