collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Back to School Reports  (Read 9751 times)

injuryBug

• Team Captain
Back to School Reports
« on: September 15, 2020, 07:38:12 PM »
Just wanted to hear how other schools are doing for those going back.
My kids are in middle school and high school (wife a teacher in elementary) 100% in person unless you wanted to go virtual.
As of tomorrow the middle school is virtual for 14 days cause of some cases (the first of which was a false positive). No idea how many cases.
Have a friend in Alabama and their district sends out a weekly update with how many cases have been found in the district.  Wish they would do that here

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: Back to School Reports
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 09:08:54 PM »
Here in northern suburban Atlanta, our kids (2 middle, 1 elementary) have been been back in school since 8/13. The school district  communicates every evening about confirmed cases in each school. So far (knock on wood) zero confirmed cases in the schools where our kids go, 98 total in 36 schools covering 39,000 face to face students. Weekly cases peaked in week three (33) and have declined each of the following weeks.

I don’t know why, but our county has had far fewer cases than surrounding Atlanta metro counties and that has somehow carried over into the schools. We are lucky.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 11:40:52 PM »
My son-in-law and grandson both were sick yesterday, so they went in to be tested. They were told they would get results in 5-7 days.

Why even give a test when there is that much lag time?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 07:55:47 AM »
My son-in-law and grandson both were sick yesterday, so they went in to be tested. They were told they would get results in 5-7 days.

Why even give a test when there is that much lag time?

Sometimes they say that to be conservative. They told me 5 business days when I took a test on a Thursday and had my results on Sunday..
Have some patience, FFS.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 08:19:23 AM »
Sometimes they say that to be conservative. They told me 5 business days when I took a test on a Thursday and had my results on Sunday..

Hopefully, that’s the case.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 08:28:58 AM »
Week 3 at our Catholic grade school in Milwaukee 'burbs.  100% face to face.  So far no cases.  My kids say mask usage is close to 100%, teachers have said by and large it hasn't been an issue. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 10:18:24 AM »
Our school is closed today to adjust for 3-5 starting in person tomorrow, along with k-2. 

Kids are masked, all of the doors are being used for entry/exit vs just the front & gym doors in past years, lunch in classrooms, playground is divided by classroom. 

No cases through week 3, fortunately.

6-8 start next Monday.  Going for 2 days, then an off day to allow the school to make any changes based on the first 2 days of k-8.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 10:35:05 AM »
K-5 full face to face in middle of third week....couple suspected cases that turned out to be negative, according to district Covid dashboard only 1 student case amongst 6 different campuses and no teacher cases so far.  🤞🤞

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 03:41:15 PM »
Our schools, a third are virtual, a third on M-T, a third on Th-Fri.    Classes are 10-15 kids.  They stay in their room and the teachers move around.  All masked.

So far, one middle, one grade school student has tested positive.  8 kids were "close contacts" and quarantined.

If anyone is interested .. this is the documentation used for our most recent district meeting on school opening phases .. I found the metrics amazingly detailed.

https://go.boarddocs.com/wi/wfbschools/Board.nsf/files/BTFM5A59094F/$file/WFBHACIntro%26MetricsPresentation_09142020.pdf

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 04:18:10 PM »
6th and 8th graders.  Our middle school returned to school 8/20 100% with ~15% going virtual. 0 positives, 1 with symptoms (turned out to be strep) and 12 (<10%) in quarantine from outside contact (6 of them from the same flag football team). Middle school is about 140 kids.

For the whole school, Toddler - 8, no positive cases in kids or faculty. I don't know the % of virtual or self quarantine outside of middle school.

Public schools here just started 9/8 so too early to tell.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 05:17:02 PM »
6th and 8th graders.  Our middle school returned to school 8/20 100% with ~15% going virtual. 0 positives, 1 with symptoms (turned out to be strep) and 12 (<10%) in quarantine from outside contact (6 of them from the same flag football team). Middle school is about 140 kids.

For the whole school, Toddler - 8, no positive cases in kids or faculty. I don't know the % of virtual or self quarantine outside of middle school.

Chicago suburbs? 

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 07:11:11 PM »
Chicago Public Schools started after Labor Day, I think all the suburbs start in August.
A friend told me her niece runs cross-country for one of the Catholic high schools here in Chicago, and that a number of athletes, including her niece, tested positive after a meet. Just anecdotal info.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 08:56:15 PM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 11:16:59 AM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2020, 08:49:28 PM »

AAAANNNNNDDDD one of those kids got symptomatic and tested positive. The school did contact tracing and everyone that had 'significant contact' has to go virtual learning for two weeks. The phrasing 'significant contact' seems oddly vague so I asked for clarification but it'll be interesting to see how many 8th graders are physically there tomorrow.

It'll be interesting to see if the extra precautions the school took that I was so confident in 48hrs ago limit this to only external contact, do absolutely nothing, or if it doesn't matter what we do if X% of society doesn't care + a virus that doesn't care.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2020, 08:53:18 PM »
AAAANNNNNDDDD one of those kids got symptomatic and tested positive. The school did contact tracing and everyone that had 'significant contact' has to go virtual learning for two weeks. The phrasing 'significant contact' seems oddly vague so I asked for clarification but it'll be interesting to see how many 8th graders are physically there tomorrow.

It'll be interesting to see if the extra precautions the school took that I was so confident in 48hrs ago limit this to only external contact, do absolutely nothing, or if it doesn't matter what we do if X% of society doesn't care + a virus that doesn't care.

our school District uses close contact as the term 15 straight minutes of being 6 ft or closer.  So in our HS a student tested positive.  They have assigned seats in pods for classes so all those that sat in the students pod of 4 are virtual the next 2 weeks.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2020, 09:04:39 PM »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2020, 09:32:26 PM »
My kids have been back since Sep. 1st.  My 3rd grader is everyday face to face and my 8th grader is a hybrid schedule - Mon is virtual for everyone and then kids go to school either Tue/Thu or Wed/Fri and are virtual the other two days.  So far there have been some cases in our District but none yet at the two schools my kids are at.  I do appreciate that our District created a dashboard that's updated hourly with the number of active cases per school per student and staff and number of students and staff on quarantine from each school.  As of tonight, one elementary school in the District has 12 staff on quarantine and that seems like a lot of staff to replace tomorrow and I really don't think they have many subs available this year (this school has 1 student and 1 staff member with an active case).

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2020, 09:41:11 PM »
wish we had a dashboard.  My wife works in the district and even she does not know the clear number of cases in the district.  We think 1 at elementary, 3 in middle and 1 at HS so far

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2020, 09:45:59 PM »
wish we had a dashboard.  My wife works in the district and even she does not know the clear number of cases in the district.  We think 1 at elementary, 3 in middle and 1 at HS so far

I didn't think our District was going to do one and was so glad to see one at the end of the first week of school.  I like it also as I know at another elementary school in the District they only notified the grade the student was in when there was a positive case.  I'd like to know if there's a positive case at one of my kids' schools even if it is a different grade.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2020, 09:46:04 PM »

Same here. My wife works at a local middle school, and the lack of transparency has been disappointing to say the least.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2020, 08:57:48 AM »
We get an email everytime a case pops up in one of our kids schools.  That email has not always come though so one day I get it the next time my wife gets one.  we are not sure if it is the same case or different cases.  Makes things very confusing.  with this much better to have too much info out there than not enough

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2020, 11:06:24 AM »
My daughter's high school has a weekly update.  They notified everyone that one student test positive last week and they would be contacting all the close contacts only from the contract tracing to quarantine.

My wife's school is in the hybrid model now and is trying to go back all in-person 5 days a week.  Apparently the hybrid is great from the health perspective, but driving teachers and parents crazy with the schedule.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2020, 11:35:26 AM »
Son started pre-school three weeks ago. He goes twice a week. Loves wearing his dino face shield and doesn't mind the mask.

The entire pre-school has had no issue with kids not wearing masks, washing hands constantly and keeping space between each other.

Daughter will likely start a hybrid schedule in October sometime. Has really embraced virtual learning and is doing well.

Who would've thought kids would be so resilient?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2020, 12:13:35 PM »
More resilient than their parents and grandparents.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2020, 01:25:18 PM »

Yep. While parents and grandparents have been up in arms about the possibility of online or hybrid school models, most kids get through either just fine.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2020, 01:47:02 PM »

Yep. While parents and grandparents have been up in arms about the possibility of online or hybrid school models, most kids get through either just fine.

all depends on the ages.  younger kids will adapt very well, high school kids will have the most issues.  School work will be fine for the HS kids but the social aspect is the worrisome part.  Funny that before this all kids did was sit on their phones when around friends

My wife has had issues with kids not showing for virtual learning at the k-4 level.  My 7th grade girls have adapted fine to the 2 weeks of virtual again.  My HS boys would adapt fine academically but they would be real depressed with football getting taken away.  Especially my senior

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2020, 01:50:35 PM »
all depends on the ages.  younger kids will adapt very well, high school kids will have the most issues.  School work will be fine for the HS kids but the social aspect is the worrisome part.  Funny that before this all kids did was sit on their phones when around friends

I know this last line is a throw away, but I think it's "get off my lawn" kind of thinking.  In my generation we sat around and watched television.  My parent's sat around and listened to records.  Being engaged with one another doesn't simply mean that they interact without any distraction, but that they are spending time with one another.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2020, 02:07:52 PM »

I know this last line is a throw away, but I think it's "get off my lawn" kind of thinking.  In my generation we sat around and watched television.  My parent's sat around and listened to records.  Being engaged with one another doesn't simply mean that they interact without any distraction, but that they are spending time with one another.

Exactly communication with friends is easier now than ever but people need the face to face human interaction

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2020, 04:50:08 PM »
Exactly communication with friends is easier now than ever but people need the face to face human interaction

Maybe old farts like you do.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2020, 05:34:52 PM »

It will take a long time and a lot of studies before we know the consequences of this on the kids.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2020, 05:41:39 PM »
I don't think we should dismiss the importance of face-to-face interactions with peers and teachers. My kids have had done both virtual and in-person this year, and they far prefer the latter, in no small measure because of that interaction.
I don't think kids will be scarred or traumatized by more virtual learning, but they are missing something valuable by not being in school. Going without that may still be the smart move from a public health standpoint, but there's a downside we ought not ignore or answer with cliches about how resilient kids are.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2020, 06:30:02 PM »

It will take a long time and a lot of studies before we know the consequences of this on the kids.

All the details? Sure.

But by and large, kids are more resilient than we give them credit for. As long as parents are there for them and empathetic about the difficulties, they will get through this.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2020, 06:32:51 PM »

This is a major world event/trauma.  I think it’s fair to ask that question about everyone. 

There is a reason war and pandemic are historically society shaping issues.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2020, 06:44:49 PM »
I don't think we should dismiss the importance of face-to-face interactions with peers and teachers. My kids have had done both virtual and in-person this year, and they far prefer the latter, in no small measure because of that interaction.
I don't think kids will be scarred or traumatized by more virtual learning, but they are missing something valuable by not being in school. Going without that may still be the smart move from a public health standpoint, but there's a downside we ought not ignore or answer with cliches about how resilient kids are.

100% agree. I’ll wait for what scientific after the fact studies conclude, but logic tells me that while there is downside for all, it will be worse for kids in bad schools and kids who are already behind grade level or treading water. So lots of overlap, but it will impact the poor disproportionately.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2020, 07:11:53 PM »
My 8th grader really wants to be back everyday in person (she goes 2 days a week in person now) so she can see all her friends.  But I know socializing is important at this age too.  I'm ok with the middle and high school being hybrid for a bit longer as I think it might help keep the number of positive cases in the schools down.  One of my big concerns is staffing - they have a hard enough time finding subs in 'normal years' and it is of course much harder to find subs now.  With some schools having up to 12 staff members on quarantine and then possibly having other staff members out sick too, I question how they can cover all those absences.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2020, 07:15:25 PM »
Several Kenosha schools abruptly switched to Virtual learning for this week after 276 teachers called in sick for today:

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/several-kenosha-schools-move-to-virtual-learning-due-to-surge-in-employee-absences

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2020, 07:16:28 PM »
Awhile ago PaceArrow tried to make me out to be the A$$ for caring about the teachers situation as well. Was just told by our neighbor who's pregnant and teaching, that upon her return next week they were told by the district lawyer that if they are put into a quarantine situation they will be paid 78% pay and it will come out of their sick days. In her case they will take it out of maternity leave. All it takes is a couple kids testing positive and her maternity leave of four weeks is completely drained to nothing.

I feel for the kids but there's a lot of systematic injustice this included that is being brought to light due to Covid as well IMO.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2020, 07:18:14 PM »
100% agree. I’ll wait for what scientific after the fact studies conclude, but logic tells me that while there is downside for all, it will be worse for kids in bad schools and kids who are already behind grade level or treading water. So lots of overlap, but it will impact the poor disproportionately.

Absolutely.  Kids will never move to an all virtual all the time model.  It probably works for some kids, but then there are a lot of things that don't work for most kids.  The entire education system could really use a total overhaul.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2020, 07:23:42 PM »

On that, we are in total agreement.

Also, while we are talking about the impact on children of not going to school, we should also consider the impact of inadvertently bringing home the virus and infecting a parent or grandparent, potentially making them seriously ill. If that were to happen, the impact on the child could be equally devastating, or perhaps even worse. Again, we won’t know the details for many years to come, but there are potential downsides on both sides of the coin.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2020, 08:03:21 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2020, 11:21:08 PM »

The point was wearing masks, face shields, socially distancing and overall adapting to safe change.

But, fer shure, you’re right.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2020, 08:58:04 AM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/feared-covid-outbreaks-in-schools-yet-to-arrive-early-data-shows/ar-BB19ldYZ?ocid=msedgntp

Early data on covid outbreaks in school k-12 is encouraging.  I think a lot of k-12 schools that are doing some form of in person learning have created a fairly safe environment.   

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2020, 09:38:38 AM »
nm
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2020, 02:04:39 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/feared-covid-outbreaks-in-schools-yet-to-arrive-early-data-shows/ar-BB19ldYZ?ocid=msedgntp

Early data on covid outbreaks in school k-12 is encouraging.  I think a lot of k-12 schools that are doing some form of in person learning have created a fairly safe environment.   

It's encouraging data, but .. too soon.   These kids' collegiate older brothers and sisters are bringing home COVID in bucketfulls.     Let's see what happens in 30 days.

If I had to guess .. it'd be that K-12 outbreaks will follow the same trend lines as all other populations have done.  Slow at first, then uphill.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2020, 09:06:27 PM »
If I had to guess .. it'd be that K-12 outbreaks will follow the same trend lines as all other populations have done.  Slow at first, then uphill.

Yes - I'm worried about this and am keeping an eye on our District's dashboard.

I also fear an outbreak when/if our District returns to 5 days a week in person for middle school and high school.  The school board seems very eager to do that but I think the current hybrid schedule is helping with the spread for now.  But I have no proof of that of course - just the way I feel. 

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2020, 10:12:38 AM »
Father of a 6th grade classmate of my son's passed away from COVID this weekend. Aside from the crushing part of a 12yr old losing his father it is going to force us to focus on the real psychological aspects of this. Addressing the impact of quarantine/social distancing/physical precautions/grandparents vulnerability on kids is one thing and I think most of us have shown we have the ability to help our kids manage those changes in our existing 'parental toolbox'. Kids parents starting to drop? That raises the psychological impact up a couple of notches for both us parents and the school community.

Interested if anyone has a resource they've used that would help bolster our toolbox a bit. Our school hasn't sent anything out officially yet, and I assume they'll have some resources which I'll pass along, but more perspectives are always better.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2020, 08:17:58 PM »
Father of a 6th grade classmate of my son's passed away from COVID this weekend. Aside from the crushing part of a 12yr old losing his father it is going to force us to focus on the real psychological aspects of this. Addressing the impact of quarantine/social distancing/physical precautions/grandparents vulnerability on kids is one thing and I think most of us have shown we have the ability to help our kids manage those changes in our existing 'parental toolbox'. Kids parents starting to drop? That raises the psychological impact up a couple of notches for both us parents and the school community.

Interested if anyone has a resource they've used that would help bolster our toolbox a bit. Our school hasn't sent anything out officially yet, and I assume they'll have some resources which I'll pass along, but more perspectives are always better.

I'm really sorry to hear that :(.  I'm not sure what area you are in but I know of Kyle's Korner in the general Milwaukee area that is a center for grieving children, teens and their families.  Even if you're not in the Milwaukee area, their website has some good links/resources on it - https://www.kyleskorner.org/resources

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2020, 08:49:15 PM »

This is coming from a place that I'm no expert: I would guess that the military has experience communicating to children/spouses. May be worth reaching out to someone in your network that's in military leadership.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2020, 10:37:48 PM »
Cases are going way up in Wisconsin yet Waukesha is choosing to change from a hybrid model for middle and high school students (1/2 the kids in person Tue/Thu and 1/2 in person Wed/Fri, virtual the opposite days and everyone virtual Mondays) to everyone in person 4 days a week starting 10/19 with the plan to try to see if they can vote to go 5 days face to face at their 11/11 Board meeting (Elementary are already 5 days face to face for the in person option and will stay that way).

There is no virtual option for the Middle and High School students.  They originally offered a choice of eachieve academy but that is full now.

This move by the District upsets me for many reasons.  One upsetting thing is they asked parents to make a commitment until the end of November for if they chose in person hybrd or eachieve for secondary students (or virtual for Elementary) yet they just up and change their in person setup after a few weeks.  There will be no social distancing now :(.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2020, 08:46:55 AM »
Cases are going way up in Wisconsin yet Waukesha is choosing to change from a hybrid model for middle and high school students (1/2 the kids in person Tue/Thu and 1/2 in person Wed/Fri, virtual the opposite days and everyone virtual Mondays) to everyone in person 4 days a week starting 10/19 with the plan to try to see if they can vote to go 5 days face to face at their 11/11 Board meeting (Elementary are already 5 days face to face for the in person option and will stay that way).

There is no virtual option for the Middle and High School students.  They originally offered a choice of eachieve academy but that is full now.

This move by the District upsets me for many reasons.  One upsetting thing is they asked parents to make a commitment until the end of November for if they chose in person hybrd or eachieve for secondary students (or virtual for Elementary) yet they just up and change their in person setup after a few weeks.  There will be no social distancing now :(.

I'm convinced you can do face to face safely.  If distancing and mask protocols are followed, you'll be fine.  We're at the end of Week #5 and all is good.  As Fluff has pointed out, cases are not popping bc of schools / lecture halls / class rooms.  They are popping bc of social gatherings.  IMO bars and restaurants are our biggest enemies right now.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2020, 08:56:21 AM »
The local public health department has told us that they have no problems with us continuing with on-campus instruction, saying that our students are safer on campus than they are off.

My understanding is that many of the issues school districts are facing is a teacher shortage due to the need for quarantining an entire classroom.  That is driving decisions to "go virtual" as much as anything.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2020, 09:29:49 AM »
I'm convinced you can do face to face safely.  If distancing and mask protocols are followed, you'll be fine.  We're at the end of Week #5 and all is good.  As Fluff has pointed out, cases are not popping bc of schools / lecture halls / class rooms.  They are popping bc of social gatherings.  IMO bars and restaurants are our biggest enemies right now.   

I was skeptical at first on how well face to face would work. I thought the first schools opening in that model should test all students twice a week, to mitigate spread and collect data on how well masks and social distancing work.

The data now shows it can work provided masks and distancing are strictly enforced. Sadly, we are still seeing exposure to teachers and staff (low levels), that unfortunately has also led to the loss of some lives. It is not intrinsically a failure of face to face, but rather the difficulty in getting really anyone under the age of 22 to maintain social distancing.

It's crazy how often I have to tell even college age kids to quit piling up in a group (including around me). I have a colleague likely infected via a similar situation. It does seem that students are getting better about realizing social space now.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2020, 09:55:31 AM »
I was skeptical at first on how well face to face would work. I thought the first schools opening in that model should test all students twice a week, to mitigate spread and collect data on how well masks and social distancing work.

The data now shows it can work provided masks and distancing are strictly enforced. Sadly, we are still seeing exposure to teachers and staff (low levels), that unfortunately has also led to the loss of some lives. It is not intrinsically a failure of face to face, but rather the difficulty in getting really anyone under the age of 22 to maintain social distancing.

It's crazy how often I have to tell even college age kids to quit piling up in a group (including around me). I have a colleague likely infected via a similar situation. It does seem that students are getting better about realizing social space now.

Where has there been loss of life?  I know a Bayport teacher passed away, her family said she contracted it at a funeral. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2020, 10:04:15 AM »
Where has there been loss of life?  I know a Bayport teacher passed away, her family said she contracted it at a funeral.

Compiling an exhaustive list would be impossible, there are actually a reasonably high number of students, faculty, and staff that have gotten COVID and died. Proving it was at "school" is nearly impossible to do.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2020, 12:30:33 PM »

Yeah but my issue is with the Social Distancing.  They have too many students in each classroom to socially distance in the secondary schools if everyone is going on the the same days.  The hybrid schedule was good because they had less students there everyday and could have some social distancing.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2020, 03:29:21 PM »
Yeah but my issue is with the Social Distancing.  They have too many students in each classroom to socially distance in the secondary schools if everyone is going on the the same days.  The hybrid schedule was good because they had less students there everyday and could have some social distancing.

Agree that is a potential issue. It seems unrealistic (impossible?) to expect social distancing in classrooms if you put the full complement of students in them.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2020, 10:59:15 PM »
 Megachurch Pastor Contracts COVID-19 After Suing to Force School Reopenings

“Hagee’s diagnosis made waves locally, with many San Antonio residents commenting on social media that they were—at the very least—unsurprised by the news, considering how few masks have been seen at the church. It was not clear on Monday when the senior pastor was last spotted at the church himself, though he has given sermons in recent weeks, including one on Sept. 13 in which he urged congregants to vote with the Bible in mind.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/megachurch-pastor-contracts-covid-19-210907414.html

pacearrow02

• Starter

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2020, 10:44:07 AM »
Wear a mask a social distance, something that can be done in schools.  Ours just finished Face to Face Week 6.  No cases.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2020, 11:52:30 AM »
Wear a mask a social distance, something that can be done in schools.  Ours just finished Face to Face Week 6.  No cases.

A friend's preschool in Waukesha County just shut down because they had too many cases. No masks on kids or teachers.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2020, 12:10:51 PM »
A friend's preschool in Waukesha County just shut down because they had too many cases. No masks on kids or teachers.

We're K3-8th grade.  Every single person in the school is wearing a mask 100% except during lunch.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2020, 09:00:56 PM »

Waukesha Public Schools are requiring masks for all students and staff.  Staff are wearing face shields in addition to masks.  Elementary students are face to face everyday but Secondary students have been on a hybrid schedule since school started but that's supposed to change the week of 10/19 with everyone returning 4 days a week in person 4 days a week.