[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Back to School Reports  (Read 9862 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Back to School Reports
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2020, 01:25:18 PM »
More resilient than their parents and grandparents.

Yep. While parents and grandparents have been up in arms about the possibility of online or hybrid school models, most kids get through either just fine.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2020, 01:47:02 PM »

Yep. While parents and grandparents have been up in arms about the possibility of online or hybrid school models, most kids get through either just fine.

all depends on the ages.  younger kids will adapt very well, high school kids will have the most issues.  School work will be fine for the HS kids but the social aspect is the worrisome part.  Funny that before this all kids did was sit on their phones when around friends

My wife has had issues with kids not showing for virtual learning at the k-4 level.  My 7th grade girls have adapted fine to the 2 weeks of virtual again.  My HS boys would adapt fine academically but they would be real depressed with football getting taken away.  Especially my senior

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2020, 01:50:35 PM »
all depends on the ages.  younger kids will adapt very well, high school kids will have the most issues.  School work will be fine for the HS kids but the social aspect is the worrisome part.  Funny that before this all kids did was sit on their phones when around friends

I know this last line is a throw away, but I think it's "get off my lawn" kind of thinking.  In my generation we sat around and watched television.  My parent's sat around and listened to records.  Being engaged with one another doesn't simply mean that they interact without any distraction, but that they are spending time with one another.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2020, 02:07:52 PM »

I know this last line is a throw away, but I think it's "get off my lawn" kind of thinking.  In my generation we sat around and watched television.  My parent's sat around and listened to records.  Being engaged with one another doesn't simply mean that they interact without any distraction, but that they are spending time with one another.

Exactly communication with friends is easier now than ever but people need the face to face human interaction

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2020, 04:50:08 PM »
Exactly communication with friends is easier now than ever but people need the face to face human interaction

Maybe old farts like you do.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2020, 05:34:52 PM »

It will take a long time and a lot of studies before we know the consequences of this on the kids.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2020, 05:41:39 PM »
I don't think we should dismiss the importance of face-to-face interactions with peers and teachers. My kids have had done both virtual and in-person this year, and they far prefer the latter, in no small measure because of that interaction.
I don't think kids will be scarred or traumatized by more virtual learning, but they are missing something valuable by not being in school. Going without that may still be the smart move from a public health standpoint, but there's a downside we ought not ignore or answer with cliches about how resilient kids are.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2020, 06:30:02 PM »

It will take a long time and a lot of studies before we know the consequences of this on the kids.

All the details? Sure.

But by and large, kids are more resilient than we give them credit for. As long as parents are there for them and empathetic about the difficulties, they will get through this.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2020, 06:32:51 PM »

This is a major world event/trauma.  I think it’s fair to ask that question about everyone. 

There is a reason war and pandemic are historically society shaping issues.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2020, 06:44:49 PM »
I don't think we should dismiss the importance of face-to-face interactions with peers and teachers. My kids have had done both virtual and in-person this year, and they far prefer the latter, in no small measure because of that interaction.
I don't think kids will be scarred or traumatized by more virtual learning, but they are missing something valuable by not being in school. Going without that may still be the smart move from a public health standpoint, but there's a downside we ought not ignore or answer with cliches about how resilient kids are.

100% agree. I’ll wait for what scientific after the fact studies conclude, but logic tells me that while there is downside for all, it will be worse for kids in bad schools and kids who are already behind grade level or treading water. So lots of overlap, but it will impact the poor disproportionately.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2020, 07:11:53 PM »
My 8th grader really wants to be back everyday in person (she goes 2 days a week in person now) so she can see all her friends.  But I know socializing is important at this age too.  I'm ok with the middle and high school being hybrid for a bit longer as I think it might help keep the number of positive cases in the schools down.  One of my big concerns is staffing - they have a hard enough time finding subs in 'normal years' and it is of course much harder to find subs now.  With some schools having up to 12 staff members on quarantine and then possibly having other staff members out sick too, I question how they can cover all those absences.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2020, 07:15:25 PM »
Several Kenosha schools abruptly switched to Virtual learning for this week after 276 teachers called in sick for today:

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/several-kenosha-schools-move-to-virtual-learning-due-to-surge-in-employee-absences

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2020, 07:16:28 PM »
Awhile ago PaceArrow tried to make me out to be the A$$ for caring about the teachers situation as well. Was just told by our neighbor who's pregnant and teaching, that upon her return next week they were told by the district lawyer that if they are put into a quarantine situation they will be paid 78% pay and it will come out of their sick days. In her case they will take it out of maternity leave. All it takes is a couple kids testing positive and her maternity leave of four weeks is completely drained to nothing.

I feel for the kids but there's a lot of systematic injustice this included that is being brought to light due to Covid as well IMO.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2020, 07:18:14 PM »
100% agree. I’ll wait for what scientific after the fact studies conclude, but logic tells me that while there is downside for all, it will be worse for kids in bad schools and kids who are already behind grade level or treading water. So lots of overlap, but it will impact the poor disproportionately.

Absolutely.  Kids will never move to an all virtual all the time model.  It probably works for some kids, but then there are a lot of things that don't work for most kids.  The entire education system could really use a total overhaul.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2020, 07:23:42 PM »

On that, we are in total agreement.

Also, while we are talking about the impact on children of not going to school, we should also consider the impact of inadvertently bringing home the virus and infecting a parent or grandparent, potentially making them seriously ill. If that were to happen, the impact on the child could be equally devastating, or perhaps even worse. Again, we won’t know the details for many years to come, but there are potential downsides on both sides of the coin.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2020, 08:03:21 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2020, 11:21:08 PM »
More resilient than their parents and grandparents.

The point was wearing masks, face shields, socially distancing and overall adapting to safe change.

But, fer shure, you’re right.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2020, 08:58:04 AM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/feared-covid-outbreaks-in-schools-yet-to-arrive-early-data-shows/ar-BB19ldYZ?ocid=msedgntp

Early data on covid outbreaks in school k-12 is encouraging.  I think a lot of k-12 schools that are doing some form of in person learning have created a fairly safe environment.   

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2020, 09:38:38 AM »
nm
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2020, 02:04:39 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/feared-covid-outbreaks-in-schools-yet-to-arrive-early-data-shows/ar-BB19ldYZ?ocid=msedgntp

Early data on covid outbreaks in school k-12 is encouraging.  I think a lot of k-12 schools that are doing some form of in person learning have created a fairly safe environment.   

It's encouraging data, but .. too soon.   These kids' collegiate older brothers and sisters are bringing home COVID in bucketfulls.     Let's see what happens in 30 days.

If I had to guess .. it'd be that K-12 outbreaks will follow the same trend lines as all other populations have done.  Slow at first, then uphill.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2020, 09:06:27 PM »
If I had to guess .. it'd be that K-12 outbreaks will follow the same trend lines as all other populations have done.  Slow at first, then uphill.

Yes - I'm worried about this and am keeping an eye on our District's dashboard.

I also fear an outbreak when/if our District returns to 5 days a week in person for middle school and high school.  The school board seems very eager to do that but I think the current hybrid schedule is helping with the spread for now.  But I have no proof of that of course - just the way I feel. 

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2020, 10:12:38 AM »
Father of a 6th grade classmate of my son's passed away from COVID this weekend. Aside from the crushing part of a 12yr old losing his father it is going to force us to focus on the real psychological aspects of this. Addressing the impact of quarantine/social distancing/physical precautions/grandparents vulnerability on kids is one thing and I think most of us have shown we have the ability to help our kids manage those changes in our existing 'parental toolbox'. Kids parents starting to drop? That raises the psychological impact up a couple of notches for both us parents and the school community.

Interested if anyone has a resource they've used that would help bolster our toolbox a bit. Our school hasn't sent anything out officially yet, and I assume they'll have some resources which I'll pass along, but more perspectives are always better.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2020, 08:17:58 PM »
Father of a 6th grade classmate of my son's passed away from COVID this weekend. Aside from the crushing part of a 12yr old losing his father it is going to force us to focus on the real psychological aspects of this. Addressing the impact of quarantine/social distancing/physical precautions/grandparents vulnerability on kids is one thing and I think most of us have shown we have the ability to help our kids manage those changes in our existing 'parental toolbox'. Kids parents starting to drop? That raises the psychological impact up a couple of notches for both us parents and the school community.

Interested if anyone has a resource they've used that would help bolster our toolbox a bit. Our school hasn't sent anything out officially yet, and I assume they'll have some resources which I'll pass along, but more perspectives are always better.

I'm really sorry to hear that :(.  I'm not sure what area you are in but I know of Kyle's Korner in the general Milwaukee area that is a center for grieving children, teens and their families.  Even if you're not in the Milwaukee area, their website has some good links/resources on it - https://www.kyleskorner.org/resources

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2020, 08:49:15 PM »

This is coming from a place that I'm no expert: I would guess that the military has experience communicating to children/spouses. May be worth reaching out to someone in your network that's in military leadership.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2020, 10:37:48 PM »
Cases are going way up in Wisconsin yet Waukesha is choosing to change from a hybrid model for middle and high school students (1/2 the kids in person Tue/Thu and 1/2 in person Wed/Fri, virtual the opposite days and everyone virtual Mondays) to everyone in person 4 days a week starting 10/19 with the plan to try to see if they can vote to go 5 days face to face at their 11/11 Board meeting (Elementary are already 5 days face to face for the in person option and will stay that way).

There is no virtual option for the Middle and High School students.  They originally offered a choice of eachieve academy but that is full now.

This move by the District upsets me for many reasons.  One upsetting thing is they asked parents to make a commitment until the end of November for if they chose in person hybrd or eachieve for secondary students (or virtual for Elementary) yet they just up and change their in person setup after a few weeks.  There will be no social distancing now :(.

feedback