[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 254405 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #2275 on: February 25, 2021, 06:10:13 PM »
Agreed. If Dish is right that there is a fair chance Wilson gets dealt, have to think Jerrah will want to get involved. They have to figure out the money for Dak anyway, not a stretch they just allocate it to Russ. And on and on it goes.

If reports are to be believed, his list is Cowboys, Bears, Saints, and Raiders.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2276 on: February 25, 2021, 07:37:07 PM »
If you read The Athletic article, it seems pretty clear that Wilson and the Seahawks are past breaking up. I don’t know how he could play there another year with Carroll. Certainly interesting timing by his agent proactively throwing out for public consumption the names of the four teams Wilson would go to.

Problem for Seattle is his contract isn’t tradeable until after June 1st. The Cowboys will have to make a decision on Prescott in the next two weeks. I have no idea how the Saints could squeeze Wilson in under their brutal cap situation. I think Carr and a couple first round picks would get Wilson to Vegas.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2277 on: February 25, 2021, 07:53:55 PM »
This whole QB shuffling chaos is kinda fun. Now I just kinda want to see how far it can go. How many teams get a new starter next year? Aim for the sky, who else wants to get on the carousel?

Someone will end up with Big Mitch...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2278 on: February 25, 2021, 08:53:38 PM »
If reports are to be believed, his list is Cowboys, Bears, Saints, and Raiders.

Saints would be interesting. They'd be dangerous with Wilson.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2279 on: February 25, 2021, 09:08:20 PM »
Saints would be interesting. They'd be dangerous with Wilson.

I don’t care for Wilson as a personality. I think he’s a corny doofus and his concussion water is a sham. But he’s an incredible QB who is fun to watch who I could bring myself to be very excited about on the Bears.  So now that I’ve framed my thinking as such...he’s absolutely going to go tear it up with Payton in NO or be the key to the Raiders breaking through

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2280 on: February 25, 2021, 09:45:22 PM »
I don’t care for Wilson as a personality. I think he’s a corny doofus and his concussion water is a sham. But he’s an incredible QB who is fun to watch who I could bring myself to be very excited about on the Bears.  So now that I’ve framed my thinking as such...he’s absolutely going to go tear it up with Payton in NO or be the key to the Raiders breaking through

Never heard of this before. Looked it up! Wow what a scam. Honestly shameful, makes me have a ton less respect for him.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2281 on: February 25, 2021, 11:19:53 PM »
1. The Seahawks would take on $39 million in dead cap space by dealing Russ.
2. The cap is shrinking $19 million, to $180 million.
3. No team wants, or can build a competitive roster, with 22 percent of its cap dedicated to a guy playing elsewhere.
4. Russ stays in Seattle.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 11:23:30 PM by Pakuni »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2282 on: February 26, 2021, 06:14:31 AM »

100% agree, and yet he gets idolized here in Wisconsin.  Rose bowl tinted glasses and all that.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2283 on: February 26, 2021, 07:04:17 AM »

Not a fan of Mr. Unlimited?!?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2284 on: February 26, 2021, 07:07:13 AM »
100% agree, and yet he gets idolized here in Wisconsin.  Rose bowl tinted glasses and all that.
I can't stand Russell Wilson and I am not sure he gets idolized in Wisconsin. Most people in Wi seem to dislike him, of course I don't equate Badger fans to people, but even some of them are not Wilson fans.

He is just so fake and in my opinion over rated. He has won in the past mainly because of their defense. The Rams made him look like Trubisky in the playoff game. I don't buy the he has no weapons argument either, he has arguably a top 5 receiver in the league and a pretty good number 2.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2285 on: February 26, 2021, 07:21:40 AM »
Yeah I don't think he is idolized much in Wisconsin these days.  Maybe right after he made the league and won the SB, but that feels like a long time ago.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2286 on: February 26, 2021, 08:07:32 AM »
Yeah I don't think he is idolized much in Wisconsin these days.  Maybe right after he made the league and won the SB, but that feels like a long time ago.

I think if he wasn’t with Seattle and Carroll, it would be a lot different. With the heartbreak and frustrating things with Seattle (Fail Mary, NFCCG, general dislike of Carroll) it probably changed views.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2287 on: February 26, 2021, 08:39:45 AM »
Yeah, I agree with the "I can't stand Russel Wilson" crowd. He's extremely offputting, a brandbot par excellence.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2288 on: February 26, 2021, 09:47:41 AM »
1. The Seahawks would take on $39 million in dead cap space by dealing Russ.
2. The cap is shrinking $19 million, to $180 million.
3. No team wants, or can build a competitive roster, with 22 percent of its cap dedicated to a guy playing elsewhere.
4. Russ stays in Seattle.

I mentioned this earlier, if he’s traded, it’s post June 1st. They’ll net $6 million in cap space this year, and absorb the dead cap hit next year (when the cap will rise with the new tv deals).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2289 on: February 26, 2021, 10:28:24 AM »
I mentioned this earlier, if he’s traded, it’s post June 1st. They’ll net $6 million in cap space this year, and absorb the dead cap hit next year (when the cap will rise with the new tv deals).

From my reading, a post June 1 trade would allow them to spread the $39 million over three years (i.e. $13 million per season). It also means you get no immediate draft compensation and what you do get will probably be worse ... because whichever team Russ goes to is almost certainly drafting in the 20s in 2022 and 2023, barring injury.
Honestly, if you're going to tear it down - which makes no sense when you have a contending team and top 5 QB still in his prime - why drag it out?
Anyhow, this is all just another reason a trade is highly unlikely, IMO. There's no way I can figure this makes sense for Seattle.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2290 on: February 26, 2021, 10:39:11 AM »

Of my many gripes with UW, the inclusion of Wilson among their cherished alumni featured in posters or videos or whatnot is hysterical to me.  Dude was literally in Madison for 6 months and they didn’t win a Rose Bowl.  Yet he’s viewed as a beloved Badger.

I’d agree, a decade later, his NFL time has colored more perception of him in Wisconsin and his favorability isn’t as high.

He is just so fake and in my opinion over rated. He has won in the past mainly because of their defense. The Rams made him look like Trubisky in the playoff game. I don't buy the he has no weapons argument either, he has arguably a top 5 receiver in the league and a pretty good number 2.

Fake? Sure.  Overrated? Not a chance.  Go back and watch some of the throws he made this season.  He has good weapons, but he has an incredible arm and accuracy and is insane at extending plays.  He’s properly rated as a stud QB.  Also, Tyler Lockett is very good, but no way in hell is he top 5.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2291 on: February 26, 2021, 10:43:05 AM »
Of my many gripes with UW, the inclusion of Wilson among their cherished alumni featured in posters or videos or whatnot is hysterical to me.  Dude was literally in Madison for 6 months and they didn’t win a Rose Bowl.  Yet he’s viewed as a beloved Badger.

I’d agree, a decade later, his NFL time has colored more perception of him in Wisconsin and his favorability isn’t as high.

That's fair.  It also probably has something to do with where I'm located.  ;D

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2292 on: February 26, 2021, 11:09:23 AM »

Fake? Sure.  Overrated? Not a chance.  Go back and watch some of the throws he made this season.  He has good weapons, but he has an incredible arm and accuracy and is insane at extending plays.  He’s properly rated as a stud QB.  Also, Tyler Lockett is very good, but no way in hell is he top 5.

Lockett isn't top 5, but Metcalf might be.  Certainly top 10.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2293 on: February 26, 2021, 12:01:12 PM »
Lockett isn't top 5, but Metcalf might be.  Certainly top 10.

I wasn’t sure who he was referring to.  Lockett has been their number 1, has more receptions and targets, so that’s why I assumed that.  Metcalf will be.  He’s probably a year or two away from being a top 5 guy, but his trajectory is there

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2294 on: February 26, 2021, 01:05:27 PM »
I can't stand Russell Wilson and I am not sure he gets idolized in Wisconsin. Most people in Wi seem to dislike him, of course I don't equate Badger fans to people, but even some of them are not Wilson fans.

My buddy, a Seattle lifer who wears a "12" jersey, and refers to him as "Our Phony Russ." Everything Russ does is run through a PR guy first. Russ used to hang out at the El Gaucho by my buddy's Belltown condo and he saw first hand that public Russ was nothing like private Russ (remember the "born again virgin" phase? Yeah, right...).

That said, Russ does have legit complaints. He's had a turnstile offensive line for years (one multi-year starter went to UC-Irvine. They don't have football) and there was a stretch of really bad WR's he had to throw to. But there is no arguing your point that he rode that defense to the title. And I do not doubt Richard Sherman's contention that the pass play against New England was designed to make sure Russ, not Lynch, got the MVP.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2295 on: February 26, 2021, 02:39:14 PM »
I don't know enough about Wilson's personality to have an opinion on it.

He's been a hell of a quarterback and likely will be a Hall of Famer. Don't let dislike for the person affect the ability to judge performance.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2296 on: February 26, 2021, 04:06:12 PM »

I know people who quit being Packers fans and adopted Seattle because of his Badgers ties.  It’s amazing
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2297 on: February 26, 2021, 04:07:53 PM »
I know people who quit being Packers fans and adopted Seattle because of his Badgers ties.  It’s amazing

There aren’t a lot of those people around anymore.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2298 on: February 26, 2021, 04:08:53 PM »
There aren’t a lot of those people around anymore.

The fact there are any still blows my mind. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2299 on: February 26, 2021, 05:06:36 PM »

That would be one of the most brilliant damning statements about Wisconsin’s place in CFB.  Pledging your fealty to a dude who spent 15 min on campus, only came out of convenience cause he got into a fight with his school who wouldn’t let him have a fun summer break playing baseball, didn’t win you a Rose Bowl (much less a natty), and who wasn’t even the best offensive player on the team that year.  That’s the kind of stuff you’d expect out of Wyoming fans with Josh Allen or David Johnson and Northern Iowa alums.