[Today at 10:46:31 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 254416 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #2225 on: February 18, 2021, 10:54:05 AM »
That Wentz to the Bears rumor started by the Eagles radio sideline reporter was one of the dumbest things I saw over the weekend. The Eagles using her to float a terrible rumor to gain leverage with the Colts was laughable.

Tarik Cohen’s contract is untradeable in 2021. If the Bears trade Cohen, it would trigger negative $2 million in cap space ($5 mil dead cap minus $3 mil 2021 salary). And why would Philly take on Cohen’s contract?

The entire charade was so dumb. I don’t know why Schefter or other insiders bought into Wentz being traded “immediately”. Philly has until early March when Wentz’s roster bonus is converted to trade him. Philly trying to stir up leverage by using the media means they’re desperate to get another team outside the Colts to bite.

Yup.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2226 on: February 18, 2021, 11:03:49 AM »
ESPN was pushing a Watson to the Panthers for three No. 1s and McCaffrey this week. I've seen that rumor a couple other places, too.

It's known that the Panthers' owner, Tepper, who also happens to be the richest guy in the league, wants to make a big splash by getting a big-time QB. But I think (and hope) that the voices in the room who actually know something about football will not make such a dopey deal.

Watson is a superb talent, obviously, but he was 4-12 for the Texans despite putting up great numbers last season because he didn't have enough around him. The Panthers' OL sucks, they have 2 good (not great) WRs but no TE, they would have no NFL RBs on their roster if McCaffrey goes, and their defense has promise but significant shortcomings (CB, LB, DT).

So yeah, let's trade three No. 1s so we can't build up talent, and let's get rid of our best player, too.

I like thinking bold, but such a trade makes zero sense for the Panthers. I certainly can see why Houston would like it, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2227 on: February 18, 2021, 12:09:20 PM »
Three number ones is excessive.  But McCaffrey is MUCH more replaceable than a quarterback would be.  McC and two number ones would be a decent deal IMO. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2228 on: February 18, 2021, 01:46:32 PM »
Three number ones is excessive.  But McCaffrey is MUCH more replaceable than a quarterback would be.  McC and two number ones would be a decent deal IMO.

McCaffrey is not your run-of-the-mill RB, but I do agree that he's more replaceable than a QB. Him and two No. 1s? Hmmm ... maybe.

That still doesn't help the OL that Watson would play behind for at least a year or two, unless the Panthers get lucky and strike gold in the second and third rounds of a couple drafts.

Watson has a no-trade clause. He's from Georgia and he played in S.C., so maybe he'd like to come back to the southeast, but I assume he'd also like to not get killed behind a bad OL.

Another factor: Bridgewater's salary is high (and his cap hit is severe if you cut him before or during the 2021 season). So if you trade for Watson, you're carrying 2 QBs who would represent about a third of the '21 salary cap. Yikes! Another impediment to putting a decent team around Watson.

I just don't see it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #2229 on: February 19, 2021, 05:18:01 AM »
Unless he's coming at a severely discounted price, I'm fine with the Packers not having JJ Watt on their roster.
This is where I’m at as well. Can’t afford novelty items right now.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2230 on: February 19, 2021, 07:08:08 AM »
The sad thing about QB Watson is he needs to be playing for a team ready to compete. But no team on the threshold of greatness is going to offer Houston what it wants for one of the better QBs in the league.

Nobody.

If the Bears were to somehow get Watson, he would end up being another Jay Cutler. Great quarterback, limited talent around him and crappy offensive line. He's be running for his life. Inevitably, like Cutler, Watson would take chances that would lead to interceptions.

Houston inevitably will find nobody will pay the price they want for Watson. They're marketing to teams with horrible competing needs and draft quarterbacks starting from scratch.

• All American
« Reply #2231 on: February 19, 2021, 07:52:33 AM »
Nothing gets a team more "ready to compete" than an elite quarterback.  And Watson is a WAY better quarterback than Jay Cutler ever was.

Look what Brady did in Tampa.  Get a good QB, have a couple good drafts, and you compete.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2232 on: February 19, 2021, 11:59:23 AM »
My biggest semi-realistic QB hope for the Bears is Marcus Mariota.  He’s still only 27, looked good in his sub for Carr this year, and I think he fits the mold of a guy who was in a wrong situation and needs a change of scenery to succeed.  Which means he probably ends up in NE while the Bears sign and start Matt Barkley

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2233 on: February 19, 2021, 12:16:03 PM »
Nothing gets a team more "ready to compete" than an elite quarterback.  And Watson is a WAY better quarterback than Jay Cutler ever was.

Look what Brady did in Tampa.  Get a good QB, have a couple good drafts, and you compete.

And Mitch was statistically the best QB in Bears' history, better than Jay. Go for Watson!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2234 on: February 19, 2021, 12:20:22 PM »
I thought the Lions choosing Holmes and Campbell was going to be a disaster.  I thought Campbell's introductory press conference was a bad joke.    In my the deepest recesses of my mind, I saw another 0-16 season coming.   

The Stafford trade really impressed me.    Set the market for QB's and really handcuffed some other teams.    Can't believe what they got in exchange.   Yes, the number 1's will probably be later in the first round.    They become bargaining chips or depth.

The coaching staff they have put together around Campbell impresses me.   

Here is the problem.   The moves they have made are enough to spark a glimmer of long term hope.     And that is always a problem when you are a Lion's fan.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2235 on: February 19, 2021, 12:36:34 PM »
My biggest semi-realistic QB hope for the Bears is Marcus Mariota.  He’s still only 27, looked good in his sub for Carr this year, and I think he fits the mold of a guy who was in a wrong situation and needs a change of scenery to succeed.  Which means he probably ends up in NE while the Bears sign and start Matt Barkley

If jets decide to go QB in the draft, I can see Darnold ending up in Chicago

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2236 on: February 19, 2021, 12:47:13 PM »
The Stafford trade really impressed me.    Set the market for QB's and really handcuffed some other teams.    Can't believe what they got in exchange.   Yes, the number 1's will probably be later in the first round.    They become bargaining chips or depth.

The Lions got a first round pick for Stafford and another first round pick for taking Goff's contract.
Cap hits of $27.8 million, $25.5 million, $25 million and $26 million over the next four years.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2237 on: February 19, 2021, 12:50:18 PM »
But they got Goff as well as his contract.  He isn't transcendent. He has more playoff wins than all of the Lions quarterbacks of the last 50 years combined.    His presence means they dont need a quarterback this year and can focus on other needs.   This is a multi-year process.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2238 on: February 19, 2021, 12:52:35 PM »

Mariotta makes a lot of sense for some team looking for a short-term answer at QB. He's on a relatively reasonable 1-year deal ($10.6 million, virtually none of it guaranteed) and probably wouldn't cost you a late third or early fourth to acquire. The risk is he hasn't be fully healthy for three years. Didn't even make it out of Raiders training camp last year healthy.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2239 on: February 19, 2021, 12:58:15 PM »
But they got Goff as well as his contract.  He isn't transcendent. He has more playoff wins than all of the Lions quarterbacks of the last 50 years combined.    His presence means they dont need a quarterback this year and can focus on other needs.   This is a multi-year process.

Sure, sure .... but it's pretty telling that the coach and GM with whom he had those playoff wins couldn't wait to get rid of him and replacing him with Stafford (and his zero playoff wins) as an upgrade worth two first-round picks.
Barring a huge reversal in form, Goff isn't leading the Lions anywhere Stafford couldn't. If I'm the Lions and I love a QB in this draft, do I let Goff's presence keep me from taking him? I probably don't.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2240 on: February 19, 2021, 01:07:14 PM »
If I am taking a long view in Detroit, I draft defense in the first round.   If there is a project QB in round 3-4, ok.  But Detroit is going to stink next year.   Start the rebuild elsewhere.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2241 on: February 19, 2021, 05:13:55 PM »
If I am taking a long view in Detroit, I draft defense in the first round.   If there is a project QB in round 3-4, ok.  But Detroit is going to stink next year.   Start the rebuild elsewhere.
Tower-
For over 50 years the  Lions have proven their incompetence and inability to rebuild.  They have never lacked for star players, Lem Barney , Charlie Sanders, Steve Owens, Billie Sims, Barrie Sanders , Calvin Johnson, Eddie Murray, Doug English etc but management always gets in the way.

The Lions need a change of ownership.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2242 on: February 19, 2021, 05:17:33 PM »
I basically agree

But, they have a different member of the Ford family running it now.   We shall see.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2243 on: February 19, 2021, 05:48:23 PM »
And Mitch was statistically the best QB in Bears' history, better than Jay. Go for Watson!
Last great Bears quarterback was Sid Luckman
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #2244 on: February 19, 2021, 07:31:39 PM »
Packers release Christian Kirksey and Rick Wagner

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2245 on: February 20, 2021, 09:14:19 AM »
Packers release Christian Kirksey and Rick Wagner

Those are cap moves... Watt is going on in Green Bay guys?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2246 on: February 20, 2021, 09:20:59 AM »
Those are cap moves... Watt is going on in Green Bay guys?

They were way over the cap and needed to slash salary anyway to potentially re-sign free agents like Linsley, Jones, etc.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2247 on: February 20, 2021, 09:31:15 AM »
They were way over the cap and needed to slash salary anyway to potentially re-sign free agents like Linsley, Jones, etc.

Neither of those guys will be back, they'll be too expensive anyway.

• All American
« Reply #2248 on: February 20, 2021, 09:41:54 AM »
Kirksey became expendable with Barnes play this year.  That move would have been made regardless of Watt or any other FA need. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2249 on: February 20, 2021, 10:07:44 AM »
Neither of those guys will be back, they'll be too expensive anyway.

I assume as much. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.