[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 255057 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #2200 on: February 13, 2021, 06:42:27 AM »
Chris Doyle we hardly knew thee

Jacksonville Jaguars director of sports performance Chris Doyle resigns amid backlash

Really goes to show why diversifying NFL staffs keeps running into roadblocks.  Here is a guy who is accused of being an absolute prick, but since Urban has known him for 20 years and they had some "hard conversations" he gets a job.

But at least he didn't kneel for the anthem right?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #2201 on: February 13, 2021, 06:47:34 AM »
  in the espn article, no mention of the packers??  he wants to go to a team giving him his best chance to win a super bowl?  and their big mention is pittsburgh??  what?  i love tj and believe the packers made a BIG mistake passing him up in the draft, but come on man!!  no mention of green bay??  even if it's a long shot, it's got to be mentioned!  is there a green bay stink in there because they avoided da bodadem guyses?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30886997/houston-texans-part-ways-jj-watt-asks-release

They don't really need him and he will be expensive for a team that is already bumping up against the cap.  If he were from Iowa, this wouldn't even be a discussion, but because he is from Wisconsin, and sports is often hopelessly romantic, the Packers all of the sudden gets mentioned.

Gute has to find a quality defensive back and get Jaire on a long-term contract.  He also has to find a way to economically sign either Jones or Williams.  Signing an oft-injured defensive lineman just isn't in the cards.  He isn't Julius Peppers.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2202 on: February 13, 2021, 08:20:07 AM »
Add signin' Linsley ta da "gotta get it dun" list, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2203 on: February 13, 2021, 09:53:13 AM »
Add signin' Linsley ta da "gotta get it dun" list, hey?

Absolutely.  He would be the most devastating loss from last year.

BTW Fluffy, let Jones and Williams walk.  Go with Dillon and see what we have from Mike Weber and Dexter Williams.  Draft a RB in the 5th and hope you get something there too.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2204 on: February 13, 2021, 10:07:31 AM »
Linsley is going to get more on the open market than the Packers will be able to do with their cap situation. I’d love to have him back for obvious reasons, but their other needs and cap situation won’t allow it. From what I’ve read, there hasn’t even been dialogue between he and the Packers about a new contract.  This close to the new league year and free agency beginning, that’s a very ominous sign he won’t be back. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2205 on: February 13, 2021, 10:35:04 AM »
Linsley is going to get more on the open market than the Packers will be able to do with their cap situation. I’d love to have him back for obvious reasons, but their other needs and cap situation won’t allow it. From what I’ve read, there hasn’t even been dialogue between he and the Packers about a new contract.  This close to the new league year and free agency beginning, that’s a very ominous sign he won’t be back.

They have room to sign him, but it is tricky. They can save a good chunk of salary cap by cutting:
Preston Smith ($8M-12M depending on when he is cut)
Ricky Wagner ($4.25M)

Extend:
Davante ($9.3M)
Za'Darius ($12.4M)

Restructure and extend:
Aaron Rodgers ($14.6M)

Doing all of them can save $48.55-52.55M.

That's enough room to sign Lindsey and 1-2 other major players (depending on the new cap #'s), and locks up our most important players for a while.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2206 on: February 13, 2021, 11:14:02 AM »

Really goes to show why diversifying NFL staffs keeps running into roadblocks.  Here is a guy who is accused of being an absolute prick, but since Urban has known him for 20 years and they had some "hard conversations" he gets a job.

But at least he didn't kneel for the anthem right?
These kinds of things are always tough for me, because I am a big believer in second chances. But this was just a bad hire, and the result was almost inevitable.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2207 on: February 13, 2021, 11:22:35 AM »
These kinds of things are always tough for me, because I am a big believer in second chances. But this was just a bad hire, and the result was almost inevitable.

I also believe in 2nd chances. The fact of the matter is, this country gives 2nd, and 3rd, and 4th chances to those in power. Those in the bottom, get 1 chance. One mistake and their life is over.

There are countless people in this country who got caught with pot when they were a kid, who then were banned from federal financial aid, so couldn't get a college education, who then were forced into low paying jobs.

CEOs can bankrupt multiple companies, and still get another CEO position. Coaches can fail for multiple teams and still get another $1M salary. An average Jane/Joe gets fired for missing too many days of work taking care of sick children/family members and they have a hard time getting rehired anywhere, because they have to say they were fired from a previous job.

Let's have equity.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2208 on: February 13, 2021, 11:37:15 AM »
I also believe in 2nd chances. The fact of the matter is, this country gives 2nd, and 3rd, and 4th chances to those in power. Those in the bottom, get 1 chance. One mistake and their life is over.

There are countless people in this country who got caught with pot when they were a kid, who then were banned from federal financial aid, so couldn't get a college education, who then were forced into low paying jobs.

CEOs can bankrupt multiple companies, and still get another CEO position. Coaches can fail for multiple teams and still get another $1M salary. An average Jane/Joe gets fired for missing too many days of work taking care of sick children/family members and they have a hard time getting rehired anywhere, because they have to say they were fired from a previous job.

Let's have equity.

Great post. I will add one more thing.

I also believe in 2nd chances - but the person needs to take actions first, in order to deserve that chance. More than simple lip service is required.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2209 on: February 13, 2021, 11:47:11 AM »
Centers are replaceable. You hardly noticed when Linlsey missed games. Compare that to Bakhtiari.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2210 on: February 13, 2021, 11:55:08 AM »
Superbly stated, forgetful and Jockey.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2211 on: February 13, 2021, 04:01:44 PM »
Late to the party. No idea why Alex Smith missed so much football.

If we want to go off topic we can discuss Bailey leaving Marquette because he didn’t want to play with a player who had already graduated Marquette. But your own words hurt your feelings so I’ll leave that alone.

LOL Keep digging. You’ll be in China soon.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2212 on: February 13, 2021, 04:52:54 PM »

They don't really need him and he will be expensive for a team that is already bumping up against the cap.  If he were from Iowa, this wouldn't even be a discussion, but because he is from Wisconsin, and sports is often hopelessly romantic, the Packers all of the sudden gets mentioned.

Gute has to find a quality defensive back and get Jaire on a long-term contract.  He also has to find a way to economically sign either Jones or Williams.  Signing an oft-injured defensive lineman just isn't in the cards.  He isn't Julius Peppers.

He's also a shadow of his former self. Still fine. Maybe even above average, but he's nowhere near what he was when he terrorized offenses.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2213 on: February 15, 2021, 08:41:52 AM »

As with anything else, it comes down to cost. Watt would be an upgrade on the defensive line over anybody else they have except Clark. Not only that you can’t underestimate the leadership and locker room influence. He is worth having for the right price as a go for it now piece. I read one source from Houston that said Packers are most likely landing spot.

I think the Peppers comparison is accurate both in terms of stats and leadership.

Watt in 2020: 16 games, 5 sacks, 52 tackles, 17 QB hits
Peppers last year as a Bear: 16 games, 7 sacks, 45 tackles, 6 QB hits

• All American
« Reply #2214 on: February 15, 2021, 08:47:01 AM »
But Peppers was an ironman.  Watt really isn't.  But you are right that if the price is right, it makes sense.  But I have a feeling the price is going to push the Packers out of the picture.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2215 on: February 15, 2021, 09:26:24 AM »
But Peppers was an ironman.  Watt really isn't.  But you are right that if the price is right, it makes sense.  But I have a feeling the price is going to push the Packers out of the picture.
I think a more accurate comparison to Packer free agents of yore would be Sean Jones, in terms of the impact Watt might have if he were to land in GB.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2216 on: February 15, 2021, 10:48:20 AM »

And it really doesn't matter. He's going to TB.

The only reason that doesn't happen, is if he really wants to play with his brothers. The sentimental option isn't GB, it is Pitt.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2217 on: February 16, 2021, 11:02:42 AM »
That Wentz to the Bears rumor started by the Eagles radio sideline reporter was one of the dumbest things I saw over the weekend. The Eagles using her to float a terrible rumor to gain leverage with the Colts was laughable.

Tarik Cohen’s contract is untradeable in 2021. If the Bears trade Cohen, it would trigger negative $2 million in cap space ($5 mil dead cap minus $3 mil 2021 salary). And why would Philly take on Cohen’s contract?

The entire charade was so dumb. I don’t know why Schefter or other insiders bought into Wentz being traded “immediately”. Philly has until early March when Wentz’s roster bonus is converted to trade him. Philly trying to stir up leverage by using the media means they’re desperate to get another team outside the Colts to bite.

Another team sounds to at least be sniffing around...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2218 on: February 17, 2021, 09:12:04 AM »
As with anything else, it comes down to cost. Watt would be an upgrade on the defensive line over anybody else they have except Clark. Not only that you can’t underestimate the leadership and locker room influence. He is worth having for the right price as a go for it now piece. I read one source from Houston that said Packers are most likely landing spot.

I just saw something that said the Browns are the betting favorite to land Watt (at least with one site). As a Browns fan, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that...aside from the fact that it absolutely blows my mind that the Browns would be mentioned in connection with a significant free agent. Whether they sign Watt or not, that's a welcome sign of how far the Browns have come in the last couple years.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2219 on: February 17, 2021, 09:41:19 AM »
I just saw something that said the Browns are the betting favorite to land Watt (at least with one site). As a Browns fan, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that...aside from the fact that it absolutely blows my mind that the Browns would be mentioned in connection with a significant free agent. Whether they sign Watt or not, that's a welcome sign of how far the Browns have come in the last couple years.

Yes, I saw that also and the article I read said it is down to 3 teams, Browns, Titans and Packers.

It would be a good signing for Browns to bring more credibility and winning culture to the team. However, to me they are not a JJ watt away from the Super Bowl and might be better served to invest in younger guys with upside.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2220 on: February 17, 2021, 09:45:34 AM »
Yes, I saw that also and the article I read said it is down to 3 teams, Browns, Titans and Packers.

It would be a good signing for Browns to bring more credibility and winning culture to the team. However, to me they are not a JJ watt away from the Super Bowl and might be better served to invest in younger guys with upside.

Yeah...I am not at all convinced that Watt is a good investment for the Browns. I'd much prefer to see them invest in a linebacker or defensive back.  But, I do think that signing Watt could have an impact beyond what he brings on the field by showing that the Browns can be a respectable landing spot for a free agent. The price has to be reasonable, though. I don't want the Browns to be the suckers who overpaid for Watt.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2221 on: February 17, 2021, 09:54:18 AM »
Yeah...I am not at all convinced that Watt is a good investment for the Browns. I'd much prefer to see them invest in a linebacker or defensive back.  But, I do think that signing Watt could have an impact beyond what he brings on the field by showing that the Browns can be a respectable landing spot for a free agent. The price has to be reasonable, though. I don't want the Browns to be the suckers who overpaid for Watt.

This generations Reggie White to Green Bay moment but Cleveland?  I’m not sure adding him legitimizes Cleveland like Reggie did in Green Bay.  I think Watt’s best years are behind him and Reggie had a number of great years in GB.  And with yearly roster shakeups, I’m not sure a guy going somewhere legitimizes an organization anymore.  Interesting to ponder and discuss, though
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2222 on: February 17, 2021, 10:26:33 AM »
This generations Reggie White to Green Bay moment but Cleveland?  I’m not sure adding him legitimizes Cleveland like Reggie did in Green Bay.  I think Watt’s best years are behind him and Reggie had a number of great years in GB.  And with yearly roster shakeups, I’m not sure a guy going somewhere legitimizes an organization anymore.  Interesting to ponder and discuss, though

I suppose I might be overstating things a little bit, and I am certainly not equating JJ with Reggie. I suppose that there are levels of legitimizing. Cleveland has been a relative free agent wasteland for quite a while. So, while I don't think that a significant free agent signing would signal, "Oh my gawd...the Brownies are going to the Superb Owl!!!1!" It might signal that they're not a complete dumpster fire longer and maybe can sign a decent FA every now and again. And I'll take that.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2223 on: February 17, 2021, 11:09:33 AM »
I suppose I might be overstating things a little bit, and I am certainly not equating JJ with Reggie. I suppose that there are levels of legitimizing. Cleveland has been a relative free agent wasteland for quite a while. So, while I don't think that a significant free agent signing would signal, "Oh my gawd...the Brownies are going to the Superb Owl!!!1!" It might signal that they're not a complete dumpster fire longer and maybe can sign a decent FA every now and again. And I'll take that.

I’m 100% on the Browns bandwagon and if he signed with Cleveland and not the Packers, I’d be swimming in the takes with a big smile
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2224 on: February 17, 2021, 11:16:25 AM »
Unless he's coming at a severely discounted price, I'm fine with the Packers not having JJ Watt on their roster.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter