[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: K-12 Schools & COVID  (Read 123439 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: K-12 School year?
« Reply #500 on: August 10, 2020, 12:28:38 PM »
Every teacher I have talked to desperately wants to get back in the classroom. But they also say 'not yet,' since cases are still slowly rising here in MN.

And forgetful is spot on - teachers who want virtual classes right now are not trying to 'get off easy." It is actually more work for them to make a good virtual learning experience.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 12:30:27 PM by GooooMarquette »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #501 on: August 10, 2020, 02:41:53 PM »
Georgia school from that crowded hallway photo has now closed after six students and three staff members test positive for COVID.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2020/08/09/nine-people-test-positive-coronavirus-georgia-school-where-photos-packed-hallways-went-viral/

We passed by a rural elementary school in Georgia today. Large groups of kids outside, not a mask in sight.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #502 on: August 10, 2020, 02:50:12 PM »
My son's favorite teacher, the one he desperately wanted home room with in 8th grade, chose career change over in-person teaching this fall.   Catholic school. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #503 on: August 10, 2020, 06:15:10 PM »
I think I'd amend my comments.  95% of all teachers really really want to get back to teaching.  Lots of people are dedicated to their jobs, but teachers are well above average there or they wouldn't do it.

I think this year it's just bonkers.  We have two days to decide if we want to have our 6/8th graders go two days a week, or full virtual.

Two days a week .. the situation is nuts.   Kids will file in 6 feet apart, skip their lockers, go to a room with 13 kids.  They will not leave their room, teachers will rotate to them.   There will be no small groups besides trying to talk with masks on to kids 6 feet north, south, east, and west of them.  No carpet time.  They will be discouraged from walking around the room at all, just sit in your seat.

Until lunch, which will be extended so they can talk to other teachers.  Like, wut?  Kids don't want to talk to teachers during lunch or any other time, let alone have a longer time to do that.   No library visits, no computer labs, no art room, no music.   Sit in your chair and learn and then go home.  With a mask on.   Sounds quite awful.

/venting

tower912

• All American
« Reply #504 on: August 10, 2020, 07:01:31 PM »
That Georgia school where the kids got suspended for taking pictures of their maskless classmates crammed in the hallways?   Closed.   COVID cleaning after several positive tests.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #505 on: August 10, 2020, 07:59:09 PM »
DHS approved the badger shield plus for use in schools.

https://making.engr.wisc.edu/badger-shield-plus/

Kids and teachers dont have to wear masks, the shield is sufficient.   So important, especially for the younger grades.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #506 on: August 10, 2020, 08:56:41 PM »
This .. befuddles me.   I think we hear mostly from public school teachers .. in (your) village, 25% of them surveyed selected they'd resign, retire, FMLA, etc if forced to go in-person.   My teacher wife is completely relieved her district is all virtual.   Teacher organizations are rallying to fight in-person classes.

Now .. clearly that's not 100% of all teachers.   One would figure XX% are as you observed, passionately awaiting being in the classroom.

So .. either your experiences are from self-selected pro-in-person teachers (or hand-selected by administrators for their excitement) .. or perhaps there's something about parochial teachers that make them more interested than their public school counterparts.   

Thoughts?

I don't think I am self selecting.  I have talked with teachers in their 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s from both sides of the aisle.  I have even asked how their other colleagues feel and they usually reply that 90% want to go back.  Now my school did lose two good teachers.  It appears (this is not confirmed) that they have some multi generational family issues at play.  Our school is not pleasantville.  There are uphill battles to fight BUT it really does seem like the buy in is as great from the teachers as it is from the parents. 

And yes, maybe we all have our head in the sand but we're going to try.  There is a lot of...hey don't go anywhere before schools starts, lets be safe, etc. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #507 on: August 11, 2020, 08:45:09 AM »
I don't think I am self selecting.  I have talked with teachers in their 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s from both sides of the aisle.  I have even asked how their other colleagues feel and they usually reply that 90% want to go back.  Now my school did lose two good teachers.  It appears (this is not confirmed) that they have some multi generational family issues at play.  Our school is not pleasantville.  There are uphill battles to fight BUT it really does seem like the buy in is as great from the teachers as it is from the parents. 

And yes, maybe we all have our head in the sand but we're going to try.  There is a lot of...hey don't go anywhere before schools starts, lets be safe, etc.

Similar in my public school district.  We have roughly 125 kids per grade.  My wife a teacher is a little nervous about going back but she knows the best way to get kids to learn is in person. Virtual does not work at the grade school level.  All of her co workers she talks with are the same. They are doing this for the kids just as they did when they got their degree in education.  She is hoping this helps kids/parents understand when sick stay home. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #508 on: August 17, 2020, 03:57:03 PM »
Was traveling the end of last week and did not have time to type out on my telephone.

Some more on the plans from my wife's district that I thought were interesting.
  • They are planning mask breaks at least once a day.  Although it sounds more like the students will be split up into smaller groups and at a specified 5-10 minute time interval the students and the teacher will march spaced single file down the hall and outside under a tent the district rented.  They want the kids to keep walking and not congregate.
  • One way directions throughout the school and they will set up barriers wherever there is not sufficient space.
  • Classes are extended to 70 minutes long and only 4 periods per day.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #509 on: August 17, 2020, 04:59:56 PM »
Was traveling the end of last week and did not have time to type out on my telephone.

Some more on the plans from my wife's district that I thought were interesting.
  • They are planning mask breaks at least once a day.  Although it sounds more like the students will be split up into smaller groups and at a specified 5-10 minute time interval the students and the teacher will march spaced single file down the hall and outside under a tent the district rented.  They want the kids to keep walking and not congregate.
  • One way directions throughout the school and they will set up barriers wherever there is not sufficient space.
  • Classes are extended to 70 minutes long and only 4 periods per day.

Sounds like they are doing most everything to prevent an outbreak. I love the 'walk through the tent with your mask off' idea. It not only gets the kids moving, but may increase compliance while they are inside.

Great ideas.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #510 on: August 17, 2020, 08:43:05 PM »
Yesterday .. our school district's high school English department put up a Donors Choose fundraiser for a dozen air filter units, replacement filters, plexiglas, etc .. $5200.   Within 24 hours, it was fully funded.

I like this, and also not so much.  I mean .. there are 200 other classrooms that "need" this too.    I think the school should just tack on a $25 fee to all students and just make this happen in all rooms.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #511 on: August 18, 2020, 12:27:51 AM »
Yesterday .. our school district's high school English department put up a Donors Choose fundraiser for a dozen air filter units, replacement filters, plexiglas, etc .. $5200.   Within 24 hours, it was fully funded.

I like this, and also not so much.  I mean .. there are 200 other classrooms that "need" this too.    I think the school should just tack on a $25 fee to all students and just make this happen in all rooms.

Our school (Catholic) raised funds to buy the heavy duty air filters for each classroom in 2 days.

A donor also bought face shields for every kid in the school and teachers/staff.

Solutions, not problems.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #512 on: August 18, 2020, 12:05:12 PM »
Our school (Catholic) raised funds to buy the heavy duty air filters for each classroom in 2 days.

A donor also bought face shields for every kid in the school and teachers/staff.

Solutions, not problems.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #513 on: August 18, 2020, 12:07:34 PM »
I always heard that where there is a will, there is unhappy heirs.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #514 on: August 18, 2020, 01:49:42 PM »
I always heard that where there is a will, there is unhappy heirs.

And a bunch of happy lawyers.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #515 on: August 23, 2020, 06:51:18 PM »
High school lets hundreds of fans attend a football game but bans the media because they were afraid of reports about the truth.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/sports/article/16369/calkins-collierville-high-football-game-media-banned?fbclid=IwAR3qziKjWCYpH-Wb_g7RHKjR95PRaY1GBclkwMdcTIHT0WrmUPOlA_sV9eU
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #516 on: August 24, 2020, 11:13:20 PM »
A Florida judge today struck down Gov. Ron DeSantis’s order requiring public schools to reopen for in-person classes.

In his decision, Judge Charles W. Dodson of the Leon County Circuit Court wrote that the order, which threatened to withhold funding from school districts that did not give students the option of returning in person, violated the state Constitution because it “arbitrarily disregards safety.”
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #517 on: August 26, 2020, 09:16:25 AM »
Although this report is Minnesota-specific, I am posting it here because of the huge ramifications it could have for a resurgence if the practice is substantiated, and more widespread.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/08/19/latest-on-covid19-in-mn

State health authorities on Wednesday pleaded with Minnesotans to do the right things to stem the spread of COVID-19 even as they expressed frustration over fresh reports of Minnesotans doing the wrong things.

For instance, officials are hearing anecdotal but “troubling reports” of parents who want their kids back in K-12 school buildings this fall so badly that they are choosing not to get their children tested for COVID-19, despite symptoms, for fear it will hurt their local school’s chances of teaching in-person, Dr. Ruth Lynfield, the state’s epidemiologist, said Wednesday.

----------------

The reports have been characterized as anecdotal, so it's hard to know what to make of them. But if this is a true, I worry that the fall/winter resurgence could be even worse than experts fear.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #518 on: September 27, 2020, 06:26:45 PM »
Possible side effect of the pandemic: No more snow days. Instead, learn from home?

Sorry, Kids. Snow Days Are Probably Over.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/25/us/snow-days-online-school.html

This month, New York City, the nation’s largest school system, canceled them for the year, citing the pandemic, which has forced districts everywhere to look for ways to make up lost days.

New York’s decision followed moves that other administrators have been making since March, when schools were forced to transition to online learning and officials realized they could do the same during hazardous weather.

“We said, ‘Wow, this could really be a solution for us for snow days in the future,’” said Robb Malay, a school superintendent who oversees seven districts in southern New Hampshire, where a new policy will replace snow days with virtual learning.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #519 on: September 27, 2020, 07:58:25 PM »
Possible side effect of the pandemic: No more snow days. Instead, learn from home?

This month, New York City, the nation’s largest school system, canceled them for the year, citing the pandemic, which has forced districts everywhere to look for ways to make up lost days.

New York’s decision followed moves that other administrators have been making since March, when schools were forced to transition to online learning and officials realized they could do the same during hazardous weather.

“We said, ‘Wow, this could really be a solution for us for snow days in the future,’” said Robb Malay, a school superintendent who oversees seven districts in southern New Hampshire, where a new policy will replace snow days with virtual learning.

So, I have a question.

I know that many types of school funding are based on actual attendance counts.  How are they doing that when class is virtual?  Are the teachers simply reporting the number of kids who log into the Zoom call?
Have some patience, FFS.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #520 on: September 27, 2020, 08:16:32 PM »
So, I have a question.

I know that many types of school funding are based on actual attendance counts.  How are they doing that when class is virtual?  Are the teachers simply reporting the number of kids who log into the Zoom call?

In the district my kids are in yes they are taking daily or class room attendance.  So the virtual kids could literally check in to each class and go to sleep or play video games

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #521 on: September 27, 2020, 08:28:10 PM »
So, I have a question.

At my wife’s school, they keep track of who comes online and whether anybody logs off early. As injurybug mentioned, it’s more difficult to keep track of who is actually paying attention, but they try to keep the kids as engaged as possible.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #522 on: September 28, 2020, 08:36:37 AM »

My wife's district and my kids district decided this also.
Snow Days will be online at home days.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #523 on: September 28, 2020, 08:39:05 AM »

At my wife’s school, they keep track of who comes online and whether anybody logs off early. As injurybug mentioned, it’s more difficult to keep track of who is actually paying attention, but they try to keep the kids as engaged as possible.

My wife takes attendance by who logs in.

Some weird replies from students who were missing. 
"I'm missing online today, because I have to go to the grocery store."
"I'm going to be missing every Wednesday because I got a job and I'll just review stuff online later." 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #524 on: October 21, 2020, 01:54:23 PM »
Boston public schools shift to remote learning

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-boston/boston-public-schools-shift-to-remote-learning-amid-covid-19-surge-idUSKBN2762FT

Boston, which serves more than 55,000 pre-K through grade 12 students, allowed some pupils with the highest needs back to the classroom on Oct. 1 after starting remote learning on Sept. 21.

But city officials decided to go back to fully remote education after the number of confirmed positive cases across Boston increased for two weeks.

“We have said all along that we will only provide in-person learning for students if the data and public health guidance supports it, and this new data shows that we are trending in the wrong direction,” Boston Mayor Martin Walsh said in a statement.