[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180863 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Masks
« Reply #1700 on: October 18, 2021, 07:21:37 PM »
You heard I posted about something and came running, got it.  ;)

sweeeeeeeeeatyyyyyyyy

Sorry, I read the board and responded.  That's kinda how it works.

And the kids don't say "sweaty" anymore, but nice try on being hip.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1701 on: October 18, 2021, 07:29:58 PM »
I find it funny that we have a multi-page discussion of who earned the title doctor. For the record, I never insist on anyone referring to me as Dr., and almost never use the title for any purpose, even professional purposes. Frankly, the only place the title should be used is at a medical workplace where the title differentiates staff and roles in medicine.

For me as a PhD, in any professional environment, I'm already well known by everyone, so the title serves no benefit, my name is a better indicator of my accomplishments. When young people in my field see my name, they immediately know what I've done, there is no need for a title of authority.

But just because I find this area fascinating I'll chime in a bit.

Love the "real doctors" reference. The origin of the word doctor is from latin, it means to teach. It was originally used to refer to the eminent scholars of a field, who were well suited to teach. It later was used to refer to teachers at Universities. The first formal doctorate degrees were actually in divinity, so neither PhD's or MDs can claim the original "real doctor" title.

Physicians, or medical professionals, thinking an MD is a "real doctor" are narcissists with superiority complexes. A good MD, like a good PhD don't care about titles.

There is an exception. Typically women MD's and PhD's are more likely to insist on the title, that is often because, despite being in charge they are often dismissed by peers and outside individuals as "assistants" or "nurses" or somehow not their peers' equivalent, simply because they are a woman. That is not narcissism...it is demanding equal respect.

When you suddenly attack a woman for insisting on the use of the title they earned, it is a very bad look.

You'd be wrong though. The completion rate for humanities PhD's is around 50%. The completion rate of medical school is 96%. That means 96% of the people who enroll in medical school get their degree, by far the highest rate of completion amongst all Doctorate granting degrees.

The difference between the person at the top of the medical class, and bottom of the class is massive...but they all earned the title doctor. Same for every PhD or EdD, not all dissertations are equal, but all have earned the title of doctor. A lay person having an issue with someone using the title they earned reeks of an inferiority complex.

Thank you for your comments.  But I'd be interested to know the specifics of completion of phd rates per humanities in all disciplines.  Is the 50% those who enter PhD programs and don't finish for whatever reason or are all grad students pursuing Master's including in this number because some choose to continue?  There also could be financial reasons as to why some don't complete their PHD.  Lastly, I would not group the humanities with a broad brush.  Some fields are far more challenging imao.  Getting a PHD in Classics for example doesn't sound like a walk in the park.  No one disputes a Classics prof is a scholar among many other disciplines.  Education profs??  I'm curious what the honest take is there and I'm not attacking anyone.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 07:36:06 PM by MuggsyB »

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1702 on: October 18, 2021, 08:12:16 PM »
Yes.  A lot of them as a matter of fact.  His handling of nursing homes was an abject failure and he should be held accountable for that.  His being championed as a covid leader was a disgrace and a lesson no one will heed

Then I’m guessing you think Whitmer should also be held accountable/voted out?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2021/03/11/michigan-gov-whitmer-stands-by-covid-nursing-home-policy-amid-threats-of-legal-action/%3foutputType=amp

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1703 on: October 18, 2021, 09:33:39 PM »
Thank you for your comments.  But I'd be interested to know the specifics of completion of phd rates per humanities in all disciplines.  Is the 50% those who enter PhD programs and don't finish for whatever reason or are all grad students pursuing Master's including in this number because some choose to continue?  There also could be financial reasons as to why some don't complete their PHD.  Lastly, I would not group the humanities with a broad brush.  Some fields are far more challenging imao.  Getting a PHD in Classics for example doesn't sound like a walk in the park.  No one disputes a Classics prof is a scholar among many other disciplines.  Education profs??  I'm curious what the honest take is there and I'm not attacking anyone.

The 50% is those who apply and enroll as PhD students, who fail to complete their degree in 8-years. Often they fail to complete it, simply because researching, writing, and defending a dissertation is immensely hard.

For the humanities, the highest completion rates are in Theatre and performance studies (55.6%), and the lowest in Languages, Societies, and Cuutres (33.3%)...at least for one study.

https://www.amacad.org/humanities-indicators/higher-education/attrition-humanities-doctorate-programs

Now there are two Doctorate level degrees in education, a PhD in education, and an EdD, the former is for those interested in staying in academia, the latter is a professional degree just like medicine, law, dentistry, etc. It is designed essentially for those who want to stay in educational leadership.

Beyond that, it is not for me to judge the relative merits of each. Fact of the matter is we need educators, and education, and the PhD in education and EdD train these individuals at the highest level. I'll let their own respective communities police the merits of those granting the degrees, and respect those who have completed the requirements.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1704 on: October 18, 2021, 09:59:29 PM »
The 50% is those who apply and enroll as PhD students, who fail to complete their degree in 8-years. Often they fail to complete it, simply because researching, writing, and defending a dissertation is immensely hard.

For the humanities, the highest completion rates are in Theatre and performance studies (55.6%), and the lowest in Languages, Societies, and Cuutres (33.3%)...at least for one study.

https://www.amacad.org/humanities-indicators/higher-education/attrition-humanities-doctorate-programs

Now there are two Doctorate level degrees in education, a PhD in education, and an EdD, the former is for those interested in staying in academia, the latter is a professional degree just like medicine, law, dentistry, etc. It is designed essentially for those who want to stay in educational leadership.

Beyond that, it is not for me to judge the relative merits of each. Fact of the matter is we need educators, and education, and the PhD in education and EdD train these individuals at the highest level. I'll let their own respective communities police the merits of those granting the degrees, and respect those who have completed the requirements.

Would you agree that there are certain humanities degrees that are more scholarly than anything studied in Education classes?  Like say you are Phil PHD with an expertise in Nietzsche?  Am I being an ass by saying these people are more scholarly?  I can't understand his stuff at all.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1705 on: October 18, 2021, 10:06:27 PM »
Is Cuomo responsible for any COVID deaths in NYC.

Of course.

And like DeSantis, Cuomo tried to cover up the way he mishandled COVID-19 in his state. And actually worse than DeSantis, he tried to pass himself off as the Great Covid Mastermind.

But again, DeSantis and Abbott have blood on their hands for actively, aggressively trying (and succeeding) to undermine COVID-19 vaccination efforts and mask-wearing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1706 on: October 18, 2021, 10:26:34 PM »
Sorry, I read the board and responded.  That's kinda how it works.

And the kids don't say "sweaty" anymore, but nice try on being hip.

Thanks for the update, pops!

Also, keep sweating me, sweaty.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 10:30:00 PM by Hards_Alumni »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1707 on: October 18, 2021, 10:26:50 PM »
Would you agree that there are certain humanities degrees that are more scholarly than anything studied in Education classes?  Like say you are Phil PHD with an expertise in Nietzsche?  Am I being an ass by saying these people are more scholarly?  I can't understand his stuff at all.

I don't know if you're being an ass, but you're definitely being ridiculous.
I mean, it's a lot harder to become a neurosurgeon than a family practitioner, but they're both doctors, right? We don't go around insisting one is more "doctor" than the other because their field is more challenging.
You're trying to create completely arbitrary caste system among people with doctorates for no purpose other than to defend your unnecessary, mean-spirited and politically motivated denigration of one person.
So, yeah, maybe you are being an ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1708 on: October 18, 2021, 10:27:13 PM »
Of course.

And like DeSantis, Cuomo tried to cover up the way he mishandled COVID-19 in his state. And actually worse than DeSantis, he tried to pass himself off as the Great Covid Mastermind.

But again, DeSantis and Abbott have blood on their hands for actively, aggressively trying (and succeeding) to undermine COVID-19 vaccination efforts and mask-wearing.

I've never understood this obsession state to state about how the Governors are handling COVID.  There have been times when Blue states have done better statistically and vice versa.  Both before and after vaccinations.  But if you look at the 10 most populated states right now the numbers per capita are not drastically different.

Also, there have been Weatern European countries that have been far more rigid than the USA, especially with mask mandates, and they have gotten resurgences and pretty heavy numbers. We're dealing with a virus that's endemic and unlike say Taiwan and Singapore we responded much later and were unprepared.  Maybe it's me but Democrat Gov's, competing with Republican Gov's, over death rates and hospitalizations, seems incredibly divisive and stupid. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1709 on: October 18, 2021, 10:28:17 PM »

How about we just call people who complete doctorate programs, Doctors. 

Like the rest of society.  We can argue the merits, but if we haven't completed the requisites MAYBE we should sit this one out.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1710 on: October 18, 2021, 10:29:16 PM »

Like the rest of society.  We can argue the merits, but if we haven't completed the requisites MAYBE we should sit this one out.

That's fine but I think we should exclude Jill Biden.  :)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1711 on: October 18, 2021, 10:30:23 PM »
That's fine but I think we should exclude Jill Biden.  :)

For what reason, exactly?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1712 on: October 18, 2021, 10:39:34 PM »
I've never understood this obsession state to state about how the Governors are handling COVID.  There have been times when Blue states have done better statistically and vice versa.  Both before and after vaccinations.  But if you look at the 10 most populated states right now the numbers per capita are not drastically different.

Also, there have been Weatern European countries that have been far more rigid than the USA, especially with mask mandates, and they have gotten resurgences and pretty heavy numbers. We're dealing with a virus that's endemic and unlike say Taiwan and Singapore we responded much later and were unprepared.  Maybe it's me but Democrat Gov's, competing with Republican Gov's, over death rates and hospitalizations, seems incredibly divisive and stupid.

Muggs, in DeSantis and Abbott, you have two governors who weren't simply indifferent to the vaccine and masks. They actually signed executive orders barring private companies, schools, etc, from trying to protect their employees, customers, teachers, students, families, etc. It would be like if a governor told a restaurant owner, "I just signed an executive order barring you from enforcing 'No shirt, no shoes, no service.' From this day forward, you must allow diners to come in with bare feet."

DeSantis and Abbott made the conscious, brazenly political decision to appeal to their base -- the kind of nuts who show up at rallies and boo the mere mention of COVID-19 vaccines, or scream at people who wear masks. These "leaders" have actively, aggressively undermined distribution of a life-saving vaccine, and they've done it only for political gain. It's pretty sad.

As for Cuomo, he was a fraud who made things worse for the residents of his state. He deserves to be mocked, and he might deserve to go to jail.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 09:19:35 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #1713 on: October 19, 2021, 07:35:41 AM »

I have a JD.   You can refer to me as Dr. if you wish.  Or not.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1714 on: October 19, 2021, 09:58:54 AM »
I have a JD.   You can refer to me as Dr. if you wish.  Or not.

So Dr Rocks, hey?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1715 on: October 19, 2021, 06:08:53 PM »

Jill Biden has the same degree as Bill Cosby. Both of them have referred to themselves as "Dr.", even though the degree was not directly related to their current profession.

If you are going to call one of them "Doctor", you should refer to the other one by the same.

FTR, I think that anyone who insists on being called Doctor in non-professional situations is a pompous ass.  That includes MDs and Dentists. 
Have some patience, FFS.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1716 on: October 19, 2021, 07:21:45 PM »

Jill Biden has the same degree as Bill Cosby. Both of them have referred to themselves as "Dr.", even though the degree was not directly related to their current profession.

If you are going to call one of them "Doctor", you should refer to the other one by the same.

FTR, I think that anyone who insists on being called Doctor in non-professional situations is a pompous ass.  That includes MDs and Dentists. 

I think people who get bent out of shape over what titles people want to use are annoying.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1717 on: October 19, 2021, 08:14:09 PM »
Folks like Dr. Dre, Dr. J, Doc Rivers, and Dr. Doolittle are da reel doktors. Neva new der were so many frustrated doctors on this board. If ya can't be with the one you love, love da one you're with, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1718 on: October 19, 2021, 08:29:11 PM »
I think people who get bent out of shape over what titles people want to use are annoying.

I don't get bent out of shape. I just roll my eyes when it happens.
Have some patience, FFS.

• All American
« Reply #1719 on: October 19, 2021, 08:36:19 PM »
I don't get bent out of shape. I just roll my eyes when it happens.

🙄🙄🙄
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1720 on: October 20, 2021, 10:01:04 AM »

Coming from a self proclaimed Sultan I’m not particularly surprised.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1721 on: October 20, 2021, 10:40:50 AM »
Coming from a self proclaimed Sultan I’m not particularly surprised.

outdated response, now he's a self proclaimed Fluffy Blue Monster.
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1722 on: October 20, 2021, 11:09:56 AM »
outdated response, now he's a self proclaimed Fluffy Blue Monster.

I've heard he isn't even fluffy or blue and is simply claiming untrue titles.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1723 on: October 20, 2021, 11:20:41 AM »
I've heard he isn't even fluffy or blue and is simply claiming untrue titles.

this implies you believe is is, in fact, a monster though.

• All American
« Reply #1724 on: October 20, 2021, 12:15:57 PM »
I am not blue.  I am not a monster.

I might be fluffy depending on how you define the word.