collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180812 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Masks
« Reply #1650 on: October 18, 2021, 11:07:02 AM »
Why would she be? The requirement specify a medical doctor. See how this is again your prescribing what a definition should be vs what a definition is? 

Bolded: Yes absolutely, no dr of education is going to claim otherwise and she hasn't.

Everything else in your statement is anecdotal. The bottom line is she has a doctorate, a doctoral degree she is a doctor. She earned the title and means the definition. Just because in your mind only medical doctors are worthy of using the title doesn't make you right.

As an aside, what is the predefined definition of legitimate doctor? Does psychiatry & psychology fit in? Physical therapy? Is it the broad spectrum of medicine in general? Does that mean PAs and NPs that have doctorates are allowed to be legitimate doctors? Are pharmacists legitimate doctors? What's about someone with a doctorate in public health?

The "bin" you've made for legitimate doctor isn't one that works, the actual definition does.

It's not my wish for her to be the SG, but rather your peeps.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/whoopi-goldberg-thinks-jill-biden-not-a-medical-doctor-should-be-surgeon-general

(I know Whoopi is a no talent ass clown, but she still has a TV show watched by hundreds, if not thousands of people.)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1651 on: October 18, 2021, 11:11:16 AM »
It's not my wish for her to be the SG, but rather your peeps.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/whoopi-goldberg-thinks-jill-biden-not-a-medical-doctor-should-be-surgeon-general

(I know Whoopi is a no talent ass clown, but she still has a TV show watched by hundreds, if not thousands of people.)

Ain't my peeps, my peeps are purple pink or blue and usually microwaved by EoD Easter Sunday.

Clearly someone hasn't seen Ghost
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1652 on: October 18, 2021, 11:12:51 AM »
With all due respect any Trump voter saying that they dislike someone over the authenticity of their degree is extremely ironic. I'm not saying hers is fully earned, or not. I don't care either way but surely you have to see the irony of turning a blind eye to your side and twisting the knife on the other?

eagle, i understand your point.  you can call it "dislike", but questioning the validity of her credentials when they try to use it for a power position is a legitimate question.  upon further review, one must admit her weak dissertation fraught with errors and weak arguments cheapens those who have worked hard to earn their Ed.D's or PH.D's.  this is all fair game.  in this case, i believe introducing or referring to her as first lady, jill biden is sufficient.  once you insert the dr prefix in, all bets are off. 

just as an aside, or reference,  i only use my prefix when calling other offices, pharmacies and other appropriate venues, but MOST times refer to myself by my first name including the introducing of myself to patients.  i often tell my staff to refer to me by my first name.  people who introduce me to others as dr....i often correct to,  please call me(first name) rocket ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1653 on: October 18, 2021, 11:13:59 AM »
eagle, i understand your point.  you can call it "dislike", but questioning the validity of her credentials when they try to use it for a power position is a legitimate question.  upon further review, one must admit her weak dissertation fraught with errors and weak arguments cheapens those who have worked hard to earn their Ed.D's or PH.D's.  this is all fair game.  in this case, i believe introducing or referring to her as first lady, jill biden is sufficient.  once you insert the dr prefix in, all bets are off. 

just as an aside, or reference,  i only use my prefix when calling other offices, pharmacies and other appropriate venues, but MOST times refer to myself by my first name including the introducing of myself to patients.  i often tell my staff to refer to me by my first name.  people who introduce me to others as dr....i often correct to,  please call me(first name) rocket ;)

Just be honest.... 

You are discounting her because of her political affiliation and that's about it.  You have no idea about the quality of her dissertation.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1654 on: October 18, 2021, 11:14:23 AM »

Someone has an inferiority complex, but it certainly aint Jill Biden.

you clearly do not know me sully
don't...don't don't don't don't

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1655 on: October 18, 2021, 11:16:42 AM »
💯 I tried to make the seasonality argument a couple weeks ago and per usual was shouted down.  Midwest and northeast up next as you pointed out.

And by "shouted down," you mean people pointed out facts to the contrary.
The fact is, contrary to what you said then, case numbers were declining and continue to decline in most of the Midwest ... in double digits in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska over the past two weeks.
The only Midwestern states not seeing a decline are Michigan and Minnesota, but they're not seeing anything close to the late summer surge in Florida.

I have no idea what the next couple of months may bring, but any claim that cases are trending upward in the Midwest at this time, or when you first made the claim a week or two ago, is incorrect.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 11:19:29 AM by Pakuni »

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1656 on: October 18, 2021, 11:21:11 AM »
And by "shouted down," you mean people pointed out facts to the contrary.
The fact is, contrary to what you said then, case numbers were declining and continue to decline in most of the Midwest ... in double digits in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska over the past two weeks.
The only Midwestern states not seeing a decline are Michigan and Minnesota, but they're not seeing anything close to the late summer surge in Florida.

I have no idea what the next couple of months may bring, but any claim that cases are trending upward in the Midwest at this time is incorrect.

I pointed to case numbers in northeast at the time, not the midwest.  The general point of the conversation was that we’re starting at a higher baseline this year when compared to last year almost across the board in all of the states.  If you look at 7 day avgs of cases and or deaths it’s worse in 2021 then in 2020 at the same time so if the seasonal trend follows that of 2020 it could get pretty bleak and will be no matter what the local mandates are or are not.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1657 on: October 18, 2021, 11:30:33 AM »

Yes, I agree with your points regarding reviewing her dissertation and questioning the validity of her degree. To me though, it was up to U of Delaware to decide whether or not it met their standards and whether awarding her a doctorate cheapened the accomplishment as a whole.

In a similar light, does awarding MPS grads a diploma who can barely write a paper cheapen the degree of someone who graduates from say Homestead? Does university of Phoenix online BA/BS cheapen the degree of IVY league grads?

The point I'm making is I don't think it necessarily cheapens the title of Dr or any Medical or non Medical carrier of that title. What it does is cheapen the degrees of any University of Delaware grads who genuinely worked hard to receive their degree.

I think people get degrees for all sorts of reasons and she wouldn't be the first or the last to do it purely for title and you aren't the first or last to drop the Dr when not needed.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1658 on: October 18, 2021, 11:30:49 AM »
I pointed to case numbers in northeast at the time, not the midwest.

You were also wrong there, and I brought the receipts.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=60399.msg1375101#msg1375101

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1659 on: October 18, 2021, 11:38:44 AM »
You were also wrong there, and I brought the receipts.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=60399.msg1375101#msg1375101

And as you know I clarified/apologized for the broad brush generalizations of “record surge”.

If you want to categorize going from 70 cases a day to 450-500 a day over the last 4 months a statistical increase that’s fair I’m just cautioning of what the fall/winter months might have in store for the northeast/Midwest.  CT’s 7 day avg of positive cases in early October of this year is higher then at the same point in October of 2020, same with 7 day avg of deaths in CT (4x’s higher now then same time last year) so🤞it doesn’t follow the same seasonality trend line as 12 months ago.

I should have been more clear in my original post.  Hovering around record highs/breaking record highs despite a great vaccination rate are being seen in Vermont and Maine with worrying trends in CT and MA along with WI, MN, MI and those states just coming up on their indoor seasons.  I should have been more careful, my apologies.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1660 on: October 18, 2021, 11:47:28 AM »

Just be honest.... 

You are discounting her because of her political affiliation and that's about it.  You have no idea about the quality of her dissertation.

No, I'm not.  I know what education courses are like both undergrad and postgrad and her political affiliation has nothing to do with my point of view..  But if it did I would "discount" 99% of professors on the planet which is patently false.   Uh-huh, she could have written a brilliant dissertation.  That's great.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 11:50:20 AM by MuggsyB »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1661 on: October 18, 2021, 11:49:26 AM »
And as you know I clarified/apologized for the broad brush generalizations of “record surge”.

If you want to categorize going from 70 cases a day to 450-500 a day over the last 4 months a statistical increase that’s fair I’m just cautioning of what the fall/winter months might have in store for the northeast/Midwest.  CT’s 7 day avg of positive cases in early October of this year is higher then at the same point in October of 2020, same with 7 day avg of deaths in CT (4x’s higher now then same time last year) so🤞it doesn’t follow the same seasonality trend line as 12 months ago.

I should have been more clear in my original post.  Hovering around record highs/breaking record highs despite a great vaccination rate are being seen in Vermont and Maine with worrying trends in CT and MA along with WI, MN, MI and those states just coming up on their indoor seasons.  I should have been more careful, my apologies.

Why the red?

Anyhow, I don't think it's going out on much of a limb to say cases might rise when people are stuck indoors. But that's still a far cry from suggesting that Northern/Midwestern states are due for a Florida-like surge. And I would be stunned if we see the death totals approach what we saw in Florida in late August and September.

• All American
« Reply #1662 on: October 18, 2021, 11:55:22 AM »
No, I'm not.  I know what education courses are like both undergrad and postgrad and her political affiliation has nothing to do with my point of view..  But if it did I would "discount" 99% of professors on the planet which is patently false.   Uh-huh, she could have written a brilliant dissertation.  That's great.

I wasn't quoting you.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1663 on: October 18, 2021, 12:03:24 PM »
Fluffy, I know you said Biden "made a mistake" by not wearing a mask with a DC mandate but don't you think it goes beyond that?  Like seriously how freaking dumb do you have to be to do this with all of his masked Zoom conferences?  Is it conceivable he chose to go maskless to outdo the inauthenticity of Kamala and her little space talk with the kids....I mean actors?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1664 on: October 18, 2021, 12:03:50 PM »
Why the red?

Anyhow, I don't think it's going out on much of a limb to say cases might rise when people are stuck indoors. But that's still a far cry from suggesting that Northern/Midwestern states are due for a Florida-like surge. And I would be stunned if we see the death totals approach what we saw in Florida in late August and September.

Out of curiosity why would it shock you?  Florida was top 10 I believe in vaccination rate for their 65+ population and still got ravaged.  I’m hoping you’re right of course but would be far from shocked.  Red was an effort to show what my post was back then 🤷‍♂️

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1665 on: October 18, 2021, 12:07:30 PM »
Fluffy, I know you said Biden "made a mistake" by not wearing a mask with a DC mandate but don't you think it goes beyond that?  Like seriously how freaking dumb do you have to be to do this with all of his masked Zoom conferences?  Is it conceivable he chose to go maskless to outdo the inauthenticity of Kamala and her little space talk with the kids....I mean actors?

Kamala and the actors genuinely bothered me. I hope it was aids who made the choice and not her but either way someone they hold in high regard did it and it's bad.

The masks thing not nearly as much, we've all forgotten or skirted the rules here or there. I'm as disappointed in him as I am of myself when it's happened  but not going to throw him to the wolves or make it out to be a bigger thing than it is.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1666 on: October 18, 2021, 12:10:40 PM »
Kamala and the actors genuinely bothered me.

The masks thing not nearly as much, we've all forgotten or skirted the rules here or there. I'm as disappointed in him as I am of myself when it's happened  but not going to throw him to the wolves or make it out to be a bigger thing than it is.

I get that somewhat but it's still astounding to me he or his team wouldn't recognize he forgot or whatever happened.  It's just weird to me Galway. 

• All American
« Reply #1667 on: October 18, 2021, 12:15:58 PM »

I have no idea what you are talking about with the VP.

But I think the Biden’s have been pretty good with mask wearing so I’m just writing this incident off as a mistake.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1668 on: October 18, 2021, 12:23:48 PM »

But I think the Biden’s have been pretty good with mask wearing so I’m just writing this incident off as a mistake.

You're too kind Fluffy.  More power to you, I can hold grudges.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1669 on: October 18, 2021, 12:24:48 PM »

Harris made a weird video where she claimed she was talking about NASA and Space to kids who were really enthusiastic about science but it turned out that it was a group of child actors. Not a good look 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1670 on: October 18, 2021, 12:35:32 PM »
Actually it isn't  silly.  The designation is silly. Education or any humanities professor do not consider themselves "legitimate doctors" unless they're  crazy smug and delusional.  Do you actually think real doctors believe there is no difference between them and their work vs a academic doctor?    Please.

My mother is a Doctor of Education, and has always referred to herself as such.  You're grasping at really weird straws here, Mugs.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1671 on: October 18, 2021, 12:37:33 PM »
She's a fookin' joke and a disaster. Basically duzant no her ass from a hole in da ground, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1672 on: October 18, 2021, 12:37:38 PM »
Galway, you're a smart person.  I'm simply pointing out there is a vast difference between a doctor of medicine and a doctor academic.  Both sides are more than well aware of this fact regardless of "definitions".  Now maybe it doesn't bother anyone and that's fine but it's odd for Academic professors, from my experience, to refer to themselves as Dr. so-and-so.  My brother-in-law is an Anthropology prof and I have never, in any social setting, heard my sister introduce himself as Dr. or him refer to himself as Dr.  I know many, many, other profs with PHD'S in a variety of fields, that also do not use this distinction unless in the classroom.  But whatever.  I do feel for Jill Biden.

So let's do degrees of doctors like we do degrees of black belt so you can move on to the next manufactured outrage.

lmao.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1673 on: October 18, 2021, 12:39:36 PM »
I would just like mugs to clarify if we can call a DDS a Dr, or is it reserved for MDs?  ;D

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1674 on: October 18, 2021, 12:40:56 PM »

Just be honest.... 

100%  If she was Dr. Jill Trump, we all know how he'd respond.