[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180730 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Masks
« Reply #1625 on: October 18, 2021, 08:59:08 AM »
Actually it isn't  silly.  The designation is silly. Education or any humanities professor do not consider themselves "legitimate doctors" unless they're  crazy smug and delusional.  Do you actually think real doctors believe there is no difference between them and their work vs a academic doctor?    Please.

It's weird that no one ever complained about PhDs being called doctors until about 9 months ago.
Like, where were all these gripes over "Doctor" Henry Kissinger?
I'm sure there's a reason why. I just can't quite put my finger on it.

And if you've never come across anyone outside of MDs referring to themselves, or being referred to, as doctors, you need to get out more.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1626 on: October 18, 2021, 09:00:55 AM »
Actually it isn't  silly.  The designation is silly. Education or any humanities professor do not consider themselves "legitimate doctors" unless they're  crazy smug and delusional.  Do you actually think real doctors believe there is no difference between them and their work vs a academic doctor?    Please.

💯 when nurses get their doctorate degree in nursing they don’t all of a sudden walk around calling themselves doctor so and so…..they add DNP to their email signature/business cards and that’s about it because they know walking around calling themselves Dr. would be ridiculous.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1627 on: October 18, 2021, 09:02:59 AM »
It's weird that no one ever complained about PhDs being called doctors until about 9 months ago.

The accent?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1628 on: October 18, 2021, 09:07:54 AM »

And if you've never come across anyone outside of MDs referring to themselves, or being referred to, as doctors, you need to get out more.

Uhhh....no. I work with PHD chemists almost every day.  Some of us have MS degrees, many have PHD's, and they literally couldn't give a flying fk about being called Dr. 

And I'll tell you something else:  If you polled 1000 academics who have a PHD in a humanities discipline, and asked which field is the easiest as far as getting a doctorate, I would bet the only ones who would not say Education are the Education professors.  So not only is there a vast, vast, difference between "Legitimate doctors:" and Ed. Professors,  there's a vast difference between every humanities PHD prof and Education professors.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1629 on: October 18, 2021, 09:09:17 AM »
Uhhh....no. I work with PHD chemists almost every day.  Some of us have MS degrees, many have PHD's, and they literally couldn't give a flying fk about being called Dr. 

And I'll tell you something else:  If you polled 1000 academics who have a PHD in a humanities discipline, and asked which field is the easiest as far as getting a doctorate, I would bet the only ones who would not say Education are the Education professors.  So not only is there a vast, vast, difference between "Legitimate doctors:" and Ed. Professor, there's a vast difference between every humanities discipline and Education professors.

Who cares
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #1630 on: October 18, 2021, 09:09:55 AM »

And I'll tell you something else:  If you polled 1000 academics who have a PHD in a humanities discipline, and asked which field is the easiest as far as getting a doctorate, I would bet the only ones who would not say Education are the Education professors.  So not only is there a vast, vast, difference between "Legitimate doctors:" and Ed. Professor, there's a vast difference between every humanities discipline and Education professors.

All of this is likely true.

But doesn't mean Jill Biden isn't a legit doctor and shouldn't use the title if she wants.

So silly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1631 on: October 18, 2021, 09:10:49 AM »
Who cares

People care that the Biden's, plural, are assclowns.   Just like they care that the Trump's  are assclowns. They're  totally incompetent.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1632 on: October 18, 2021, 09:12:35 AM »
People care that the Biden's, plural, are assclowns.   Just like they care that the Trump's  are assclowns. They're  totally incompetent.

Great, have a grape soda

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1633 on: October 18, 2021, 09:14:01 AM »
Are two people really sitting here arguing people who literally have a doctorate degree aren't doctors?

The Websters dictionary literally defines Doctor as someone who holds a PHD, just because you inaccurately developed an association with the term doctor being only for MD's doesn't mean it's correct. Dr Biden hasn't been walking into hospitals saying "it's ok I got this as I'm a doctor" like you two seem to believe.

This whole "legitimate" argument reeks of the legitimate rape thing years ago. Their logic is that in order to meet the definition something has to be in line with their pre defined ideal of what that word means. And if they're wrong, then that something isn't "legitimate..."
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1634 on: October 18, 2021, 09:14:47 AM »

All of this is likely true.

But doesn't mean Jill Biden isn't a legit doctor and shouldn't use the title if she wants.

So silly.

She can do whatever she wants it's just a little strange.  And frankly as a doctor and wife of our President, clearly a woman with some intelligence, it's embarrassing that she didn't wear a mask or tell her husband to do so.  Especially in light of his  messaging about the subject.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 11:51:45 AM by MuggsyB »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1635 on: October 18, 2021, 09:19:42 AM »
I'm still waiting for Dr Jill to be named Surgeon General.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1636 on: October 18, 2021, 09:26:23 AM »
Are two people really sitting here arguing people who literally have a doctorate degree aren't doctors?

The Websters dictionary literally defines Doctor as someone who holds a PHD, just because you inaccurately developed an association with the term doctor being only for MD's doesn't mean it's correct. Dr Biden hasn't been walking into hospitals saying "it's ok I got this as I'm a doctor" like you two seem to believe.

This whole "legitimate" argument reeks of the legitimate rape thing years ago. Their logic is that in order to meet the definition something has to be in line with their pre defined ideal of what that word means. And if they're wrong, then that something isn't "legitimate..."

Galway, you're a smart person.  I'm simply pointing out there is a vast difference between a doctor of medicine and a doctor academic.  Both sides are more than well aware of this fact regardless of "definitions".  Now maybe it doesn't bother anyone and that's fine but it's odd for Academic professors, from my experience, to refer to themselves as Dr. so-and-so.  My brother-in-law is an Anthropology prof and I have never, in any social setting, heard my sister introduce himself as Dr. or him refer to himself as Dr.  I know many, many, other profs with PHD'S in a variety of fields, that also do not use this distinction unless in the classroom.  But whatever.  I do feel for Jill Biden. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1637 on: October 18, 2021, 09:27:12 AM »

Why not nominate her for the World Bank?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1638 on: October 18, 2021, 09:35:27 AM »

Why would she be? The requirement specify a medical doctor. See how this is again your prescribing what a definition should be vs what a definition is? 

Galway, you're a smart person.  I'm simply pointing out there is a vast difference between a doctor of medicine and a doctor academic. Both sides are more than well aware of this fact regardless of "definitions".   Now maybe it doesn't bother anyone and that's fine but it's odd for Academic professors, from my experience, to refer to themselves as Dr. so-and-so.  My brother-in-law is an Anthropology prof and I have never, in any social setting, heard my sister introduce himself as Dr. or him refer to himself as Dr.  I know many, many, other profs with PHD'S in a variety of fields, that also do not use this distinction unless in the classroom.  But whatever.  I do feel for Jill Biden. 

Bolded: Yes absolutely, no dr of education is going to claim otherwise and she hasn't.

Everything else in your statement is anecdotal. The bottom line is she has a doctorate, a doctoral degree she is a doctor. She earned the title and means the definition. Just because in your mind only medical doctors are worthy of using the title doesn't make you right.

As an aside, what is the predefined definition of legitimate doctor? Does psychiatry & psychology fit in? Physical therapy? Is it the broad spectrum of medicine in general? Does that mean PAs and NPs that have doctorates are allowed to be legitimate doctors? Are pharmacists legitimate doctors? What's about someone with a doctorate in public health?

The "bin" you've made for legitimate doctor isn't one that works, the actual definition does.
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1639 on: October 18, 2021, 09:58:21 AM »

the incessant need for the media to use the "doctor card" when introducing the 1st lady, given her degree smells of an inferiority complex given the shallowness of her real "degree"  by the way, she is not a PH.D.!  she has an Ed.D and only sought out that "degree" for the title.  judging by her dissertation, someone should have sent her back to school for  "do over"

https://news.yahoo.com/jill-biden-doctorate-garbage-because-212259558.html
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1640 on: October 18, 2021, 10:03:40 AM »
the incessant need for the media to use the "doctor card" when introducing the 1st lady, given her degree smells of an inferiority complex given the shallowness of her real "degree"  by the way, she is not a PH.D.!  she has an Ed.D and only sought out that "degree" for the title.  judging by her dissertation, someone should have sent her back to school for  "do over"

5 of 10.  Appreciate the air quotes but the lack of personal attacks and total poor grammar hampers the effort.  Knew this topic was a bat signal for you.  We’d all appreciate a better effort. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1641 on: October 18, 2021, 10:08:09 AM »

With all due respect any Trump voter saying that they dislike someone over the authenticity of their degree is extremely ironic. I'm not saying hers is fully earned, or not. I don't care either way but surely you have to see the irony of turning a blind eye to your side and twisting the knife on the other?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1642 on: October 18, 2021, 10:17:17 AM »
With all due respect any Trump voter saying that they dislike someone over the authenticity of their degree is extremely ironic. I'm not saying hers is fully earned, or not. I don't care either way but surely you have to see the irony of turning a blind eye to your side and twisting the knife on the other?

I mean, the obvious is no one really cares about the quality of her degree or who should or should not be allowed to be called doctor. It's entirely political.
Again, nobody whined about Dr. Henry Kissinger or Dr. Martin Luther King or Dr. Billy Graham.
Or, for that matter, Trump aide Dr. Sebastian Gorka.

Fun fact ... "doctor" comes from the Latin word for "teacher." People were called academicians "Doctor" long before it became the chosen phrase for M.D.s.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 10:24:30 AM by Pakuni »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1643 on: October 18, 2021, 10:18:14 AM »
The Dr. designation clearly should be reserved only for medical professionals who believe horse de-wormer is a miracle COVID-19 cure while defending those who undermine a proven, life-saving vaccine.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1644 on: October 18, 2021, 10:20:51 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/SteveKrak/status/1450102883773411333

How such a miraculous turnaround while school is in full swing without gov’t intervention or mandates put in place defies logic!! 

MU82, where is the praise for DeSantis in getting things turned around? 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1645 on: October 18, 2021, 10:39:00 AM »

How such a miraculous turnaround while school is in full swing without gov’t intervention or mandates put in place defies logic!! 

Still top 10 in death rate over the past seven days. Not sure that's something to celebrate, but you do you.
And feel free to ignore what's occurred over the past two months, I guess. And Florida's consistent fudging of its COVID numbers.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1646 on: October 18, 2021, 10:46:18 AM »

Florida is currently following the same trajectory as last year. Peak in July/August, trough in cases in October. Picking back up to high new highs between the holidays.

The midwest is following the same trajectory as last year, too, picking up now and peaking in December.

It's easy for humans to see patterns where there are none, though, so I suppose we'll see.

• All American
« Reply #1647 on: October 18, 2021, 10:59:39 AM »

Someone has an inferiority complex, but it certainly aint Jill Biden.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1648 on: October 18, 2021, 11:03:19 AM »
Still top 10 in death rate over the past seven days. Not sure that's something to celebrate, but you do you.
And feel free to ignore what's occurred over the past two months, I guess. And Florida's consistent fudging of its COVID numbers.

Instead of choosing an arbitrary cut off of two months I’ve been arguing for state by state evaluations looking at the totality from start to now.  With the hope of trying to learn what worked and what didn’t when it comes to managing a pandemic. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1649 on: October 18, 2021, 11:05:15 AM »
Florida is currently following the same trajectory as last year. Peak in July/August, trough in cases in October. Picking back up to high new highs between the holidays.

The midwest is following the same trajectory as last year, too, picking up now and peaking in December.

It's easy for humans to see patterns where there are none, though, so I suppose we'll see.

💯 I tried to make the seasonality argument a couple weeks ago and per usual was shouted down.  Midwest and northeast up next as you pointed out.