collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180903 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Masks
« Reply #1350 on: August 12, 2021, 07:00:18 PM »
  i hope you were kidding.  you guys love to use this "group" as a false narrative to justify the existence "domestic terrorism" as anything you are against.  might as well throw in some racism while you're at it.  this qanon thing isn't even a pimple on the fat lady's arse of conventional thinking.  most rational people see this and run from it faster than a jeffrey toobin zoom meeting

At the Capitol, there were only thousands of treasonous Trump terrorists attacking police officers and waging war against the United States on behalf of their deposed king. But yes, there are millions of Americans who follow QAnon's batshyte crud, and they've even infiltrated the House of Representatives with Whack Job No. 1.

From the NYT:

QAnon, an outlandish and ever-evolving conspiracy theory spread by some of Mr. Trump’s most ardent followers, has significant traction with a segment of the public — particularly Republicans and Americans who consume news from far-right sources.

Those are the findings of a poll released today by the Public Religion Research Institute and the Interfaith Youth Core, which found that 15 percent of Americans say they think that the levers of power are controlled by a cabal of Satan-worshiping pedophiles, a core belief of QAnon supporters. The same share said it was true that “American patriots may have to resort to violence” to depose the pedophiles and restore the country’s rightful order.

And fully 20 percent of respondents said that they thought a biblical-scale storm would soon sweep away these evil elites and “restore the rightful leaders.”

“These are words I never thought I would write into a poll question, or have the need to, but here we are,” Robby Jones, the founder of P.R.R.I., said in an interview.

The teams behind the poll determined that 14 percent of Americans fall into the category of “QAnon believers,” composed of those who agreed with the statements in all three questions. Among Republicans only, that rises to roughly one in four. (Twelve percent of independents and 7 percent of Democrats were categorized as QAnon believers.)

But the analysts went a level further: They created a category labeled “QAnon doubters” to include respondents who had said they “mostly disagreed” with the outlandish statements, but didn’t reject them outright. Another 55 percent of Republicans fell into this more ambivalent category.

Which means that just one in five Republicans fully rejected the premises of the QAnon conspiracy theory. For Democrats, 58 percent were flat-out QAnon rejecters.

Mr. Jones said he was struck by the prevalence of QAnon’s adherents. Overlaying the share of poll respondents who expressed belief in its core principles over the country’s total population, “that’s more than 30 million people,” he said.

“Thinking about QAnon, if it were a religion, it would be as big as all white evangelical Protestants, or all white mainline Protestants,” he added. “So it lines up there with a major religious group.”

But yes, Tucker Carlson defends QAnon. A lot. So how bad could they be, right?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1351 on: August 12, 2021, 07:21:23 PM »
Honestly, that survey or study sounds like it was poorly worded.  Thats not defending QAnon or its loyal followers, but if nearly 40% of Democrats supported the premise in some way, thats not super convincing. 

Does "not fully rejecting" mean you'd respond yes to "i believe there are pedophiles or sex traffickers in positions of power in the US Government"?  I don't know, but as absurd as QAnon is at a top level and being a politically driven cult of the far right, you'd think less than 2 out of 5 Democrats would support it in any way.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1352 on: August 12, 2021, 07:24:41 PM »
Wow. We really are a nation of idiots.

Depends on what country anyou are competing for and which event.

My time in the 100 meter freestyle isn't that far off from the woman who came in last place, and I am old and out of shape.
Have some patience, FFS.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1353 on: August 12, 2021, 07:28:03 PM »
  i hope you were kidding.  you guys love to use this "group" as a false narrative to justify the existence "domestic terrorism" as anything you are against.  might as well throw in some racism while you're at it.  this qanon thing isn't even a pimple on the fat lady's arse of conventional thinking.  most rational people see this and run from it faster than a jeffrey toobin zoom meeting
30% of Republicans report believing in part or all of the Q crap. So, while *you* may not be a Qer, it doesn't mean a huge swath of Republics aren't.

And the person with the racist screen name doesn't want people to point out racism...
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1354 on: August 12, 2021, 07:37:38 PM »
Honestly, that survey or study sounds like it was poorly worded.  Thats not defending QAnon or its loyal followers, but if nearly 40% of Democrats supported the premise in some way, thats not super convincing. 

Does "not fully rejecting" mean you'd respond yes to "i believe there are pedophiles or sex traffickers in positions of power in the US Government"?  I don't know, but as absurd as QAnon is at a top level and being a politically driven cult of the far right, you'd think less than 2 out of 5 Democrats would support it in any way.

I also was flabbergasted by the number of Independents and Dems who supposedly believe in Q's idiocy.

But I have little doubt that there are multiple millions -- as in more than 1.999M -- of Americans lapping up what Q is serving. Do you think that's wrong, Wags?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1355 on: August 12, 2021, 07:50:03 PM »
Writing questions for surveys is an art form.

With bad surveys, sometimes it is on purpose to aim for a specific result; sometimes it is unqualified people writing the survey questions. When I see results like these, I just chalk it up to one of those two things.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1356 on: August 12, 2021, 08:08:38 PM »
30% of Republicans report believing in part or all of the Q crap. So, while *you* may not be a Qer, it doesn't mean a huge swath of Republics aren't.

And the person with the racist screen name doesn't want people to point out racism...

tell me what's racist about my screen name-nice try

show me where the hell you pulled the 30% from old t-man!  that's a steaming pile of bull chit.  you're saying approximately 20-25 million or more believe in all or part???  no f"ing way!  i had never heard of them until a year ago and i thought it was outer limits then.   just stop with the crap

don't...don't don't don't don't

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1357 on: August 12, 2021, 08:15:56 PM »

That's fair, but other polls have shown alarming - not just as alarming - numbers.
Like this one showing that 36% of Republican men have a favorable opinion of QAnon.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/10/23/what-do-americans-make-qanon

Or this one showing that half of Trump supporters believe Democrats are engaged in child sex trafficking. And 7 percent of people overall (and 15 percent of Trump supporters) believe QAnon is true.
https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/10/20/half-trump-supporters-believe-qanon-theory-child-s

Or this one showing that 15% of respondents believe "the government, media, and financial worlds in the U.S. are controlled by a group of Satan-worshipping pedophiles who run a global child sex trafficking operation.”

https://www.prri.org/research/qanon-conspiracy-american-politics-report/

Regardless of the exact figure, can we agree that there's a scary number of Americans who believe that nonsense and it's not merely a "pimple on the fat lady's arse," as rocket so eloquently put it?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1358 on: August 12, 2021, 09:01:03 PM »

At the Capitol, there were only thousands of treasonous Trump terrorists attacking police officers and waging war against the United States on behalf of their deposed king. But yes, there are millions of Americans who follow QAnon's batshyte crud, and they've even infiltrated the House of Representatives with Whack Job No. 1.

From the NYT:

QAnon, an outlandish and ever-evolving conspiracy theory spread by some of Mr. Trump’s most ardent followers, has significant traction with a segment of the public — particularly Republicans and Americans who consume news from far-right sources.

Those are the findings of a poll released today by the Public Religion Research Institute and the Interfaith Youth Core, which found that 15 percent of Americans say they think that the levers of power are controlled by a cabal of Satan-worshiping pedophiles, a core belief of QAnon supporters. The same share said it was true that “American patriots may have to resort to violence” to depose the pedophiles and restore the country’s rightful order.

And fully 20 percent of respondents said that they thought a biblical-scale storm would soon sweep away these evil elites and “restore the rightful leaders.”

“These are words I never thought I would write into a poll question, or have the need to, but here we are,” Robby Jones, the founder of P.R.R.I., said in an interview.

The teams behind the poll determined that 14 percent of Americans fall into the category of “QAnon believers,” composed of those who agreed with the statements in all three questions. Among Republicans only, that rises to roughly one in four. (Twelve percent of independents and 7 percent of Democrats were categorized as QAnon believers.)

But the analysts went a level further: They created a category labeled “QAnon doubters” to include respondents who had said they “mostly disagreed” with the outlandish statements, but didn’t reject them outright. Another 55 percent of Republicans fell into this more ambivalent category.

Which means that just one in five Republicans fully rejected the premises of the QAnon conspiracy theory. For Democrats, 58 percent were flat-out QAnon rejecters.

Mr. Jones said he was struck by the prevalence of QAnon’s adherents. Overlaying the share of poll respondents who expressed belief in its core principles over the country’s total population, “that’s more than 30 million people,” he said.

“Thinking about QAnon, if it were a religion, it would be as big as all white evangelical Protestants, or all white mainline Protestants,” he added. “So it lines up there with a major religious group.”

But yes, Tucker Carlson defends QAnon. A lot. So how bad could they be, right?

i won't even use the ny times for tp.  that paper is a pos and has lost most/all of its credibility.  until you acknowledge the burning down of police precincts and all of the other violence that cost people their lives and their businesses during the "peaceful" protests -have a good night

you must watch a lot of tucker carlson-i'm proud of you.  i like him a lot and i don't remember him wasting much time on his show about them

don't...don't don't don't don't

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1359 on: August 12, 2021, 09:11:02 PM »
tell me what's racist about my screen name-nice try

It has been explained to you time and time again why your screen name is racist. Your head is so far up your rectum that I really don't think another explanation will be useful, do you?

show me where the hell you pulled the 30% from old t-man!  that's a steaming pile of bull chit.  you're saying approximately 20-25 million or more believe in all or part???  no f"ing way!  i had never heard of them until a year ago and i thought it was outer limits then.   just stop with the crap

Here you go:
30% of Republicans have 'favorable' view of QAnon conspiracy theory, YouGov poll finds
https://www.businessinsider.com/30-of-republicans-have-favorable-view-of-qanon-conspiracy-theory-poll-2021-1

Not that you'll ever acknowledge facts you don't like, but there you  go.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 09:18:57 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1360 on: August 12, 2021, 09:29:00 PM »
Depends on what country anyou are competing for and which event.

My time in the 100 meter freestyle isn't that far off from the woman who came in last place, and I am old and out of shape.

During on Winter Olympics long ago, there was a downhill skier from some small warm weather country, essentially snow plowing down the mountain. I aspired to move to a country like that and become an Olympic athlete. Then Eddie the Eagle came along and forced them to set standards.  >:( >:(

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1361 on: August 12, 2021, 10:20:24 PM »
That's fair, but other polls have shown alarming - not just as alarming - numbers.
Like this one showing that 36% of Republican men have a favorable opinion of QAnon.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/10/23/what-do-americans-make-qanon

Or this one showing that half of Trump supporters believe Democrats are engaged in child sex trafficking. And 7 percent of people overall (and 15 percent of Trump supporters) believe QAnon is true.
https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/10/20/half-trump-supporters-believe-qanon-theory-child-s

Or this one showing that 15% of respondents believe "the government, media, and financial worlds in the U.S. are controlled by a group of Satan-worshipping pedophiles who run a global child sex trafficking operation.”

https://www.prri.org/research/qanon-conspiracy-american-politics-report/

Regardless of the exact figure, can we agree that there's a scary number of Americans who believe that nonsense and it's not merely a "pimple on the fat lady's arse," as rocket so eloquently put it?

Oh I wasn't meaning it to say it wasn't a significant issue.  I think that 20-30% range of GOP supporters range is probably close, and disturbingly high as it is.  Just commenting how wildly out of whack those numbers seemed, across the board.  But as Jockey said, it was likely done with intent

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1362 on: August 12, 2021, 10:22:56 PM »
i won't even use the ny times for tp.  that paper is a pos and has lost most/all of its credibility.  until you acknowledge the burning down of police precincts and all of the other violence that cost people their lives and their businesses during the "peaceful" protests -have a good night

you must watch a lot of tucker carlson-i'm proud of you.  i like him a lot and i don't remember him wasting much time on his show about them

It wasn't a NYT survey. The survey was by the Public Religion Research Institute and the Interfaith Youth Core; the NYT was just the messenger. But you be you.

Regarding protests last summer turning violent, of course I condemn those that did; Biden also repeatedly condemned them -- he didn't tell the violent protesters to "stand by" or tell them, "I love you."

Look, I know y'all have no real defense for the previous president fomenting a violent coup attempt against the U.S. government. That's why you have to counter with totally unrelated incidents. But yes, although the vast majority of protests last summer were peaceful, some turned violent and that obviously was bad.

Now, as for Tucker and QAnon ...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/06/fox-news-host-tucker-carlson-qanon-followers

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/01/tucker-carlson-goes-qanon-cult

https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5gq93/bill-gates-jeffrey-epstein-used-by-tucker-carlson-to-push-qanon

Plenty more out there.

But don't worry ... although you often have problems with truth and facts and reality, everybody totally believes that you "like tucker a lot."

You have a good night, too!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1363 on: August 13, 2021, 02:34:37 PM »
Mandatory masks 24-7 for me at work.   City wide policy.   I remove mine to eat and sleep.    Even exercising with one on.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1364 on: August 13, 2021, 05:19:39 PM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1365 on: August 13, 2021, 05:26:48 PM »
Ok, guys. Who tipped them off that we are coming for the children? Don't they understand that liberals just get hungry sometimes?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1366 on: August 13, 2021, 05:33:41 PM »
Ok, guys. Who tipped them off that we are coming for the children? Don't they understand that liberals just get hungry sometimes?

I'm just trying to reconcile how COVID is both a bioweapon and something that doesn't exist.

JWags85

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1368 on: August 13, 2021, 05:42:24 PM »
At the local health department today, there was dueling protests.   Those who think that the health department's mask guidelines for children are too extreme and those who don't think they are stringent enough.   Separated by a driveway.   Kind of fun to drive past.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1369 on: August 13, 2021, 07:04:28 PM »
Mandatory masks 24-7 for me at work.   City wide policy.   I remove mine to eat and sleep.    Even exercising with one on.

We’ve lost our collective minds. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1370 on: August 13, 2021, 07:44:15 PM »
DeSantis has spent weeks threatening to do all kinds of things not in his power to keep Fla. schools from enacting mask mandates. He even threatened to withhold salaries of any school officials who tried to enact mandates.

At least 2 ignored his threats and went through with mandates because they actually care about the health and safety of the students and teachers and families.

And now DeSantis’ office is basically saying, “Whatever - he couldn’t legally take away salaries anyway.”

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1371 on: August 13, 2021, 08:17:13 PM »
DeSantis has spent weeks threatening to do all kinds of things not in his power to keep Fla. schools from enacting mask mandates. He even threatened to withhold salaries of any school officials who tried to enact mandates.

At least 2 ignored his threats and went through with mandates because they actually care about the health and safety of the students and teachers and families.

And now DeSantis’ office is basically saying, “Whatever - he couldn’t legally take away salaries anyway.”

Thanks for the daily update on the inner workings of FL.  A state you don’t even live in but I’ve been tracking your state, not a great looking trend line going on in NC.  What’s the local reporting attributing that to?  Death Santis??

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1372 on: August 13, 2021, 08:27:57 PM »
Thanks for the daily update on the inner workings of FL.  A state you don’t even live in but I’ve been tracking your state, not a great looking trend line going on in NC.  What’s the local reporting attributing that to?  Death Santis??
Well ,it is my state and right now, my very MAGA centric town is ground zero for Covid. And while the opt out rate for masks in schools in our county is a mere 4%, our local high school, where my son goes, the most overcrowded in the county is at a whopping 27% opt out rate and growing. And multiple positives.

But hey, let’s ignore it and go fund raising in other states. And mess with the numbers so it doesn’t look as bad as it is.

Florida changed how it reports COVID statistics. The result? The pandemic appears to look less severe, with fewer recent deaths - Orlando Sentinel

"Just as a highly contagious new delta variant sent Florida into a vicious COVID-19 surge, the state Department of Health changed the way it reports cases and deaths attributed to the virus.

The result: Florida no longer provides a real-time picture of how COVID is impacting the state.The most dramatic example is that Florida’s daily death count had been trending upward since the end of June, but with the recent adjustments made by the state Department of Health, the number of deaths due to COVID appeared to decline dramatically over the past week. At least on paper.

Experts say the downward trend is not at all what’s really happening with COVID deaths in a state that continues to set records for the growing number of daily COVID cases and hospitalizations."

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 08:29:49 PM by pbiflyer »

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1373 on: August 13, 2021, 09:07:17 PM »
Well ,it is my state and right now, my very MAGA centric town is ground zero for Covid. And while the opt out rate for masks in schools in our county is a mere 4%, our local high school, where my son goes, the most overcrowded in the county is at a whopping 27% opt out rate and growing. And multiple positives.

But hey, let’s ignore it and go fund raising in other states. And mess with the numbers so it doesn’t look as bad as it is.

Florida changed how it reports COVID statistics. The result? The pandemic appears to look less severe, with fewer recent deaths - Orlando Sentinel

"Just as a highly contagious new delta variant sent Florida into a vicious COVID-19 surge, the state Department of Health changed the way it reports cases and deaths attributed to the virus.

The result: Florida no longer provides a real-time picture of how COVID is impacting the state.The most dramatic example is that Florida’s daily death count had been trending upward since the end of June, but with the recent adjustments made by the state Department of Health, the number of deaths due to COVID appeared to decline dramatically over the past week. At least on paper.

Experts say the downward trend is not at all what’s really happening with COVID deaths in a state that continues to set records for the growing number of daily COVID cases and hospitalizations."

As a resident your input on Florida makes sense.  Olberman’s man crush on Death Santis just confuses me.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1374 on: August 13, 2021, 09:41:57 PM »
As a resident your input on Florida makes sense.  Olberman’s man crush on Death Santis just confuses me.

Yeah, because no one in the country ever visits Florida. We have no impact in the rest of the country.

feedback