collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180773 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Masks
« Reply #350 on: August 30, 2020, 10:24:35 AM »
Call the police.  Arrest him for trespass, and assault.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #351 on: August 30, 2020, 01:57:22 PM »
Had the misfortune of traveling to WI today. Surprising number of people not wearing masks in the gas station and on the street.

Nice to be back in Chicago again.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #352 on: August 30, 2020, 03:49:32 PM »
Had the misfortune of traveling to WI today. Surprising number of people not wearing masks in the gas station and on the street.

By on the street do you mean people walking outside? I guess taking the dog for a walk I don’t wear one since even if I do see someone to talk to, we make sure to stay 6 ft. If I’m walking to a store or shop, I’d wear a mask since I’m anticipating going somewhere I’ll need it.

Just curious as that doesn’t seem to be where a mask is needed.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #353 on: August 30, 2020, 04:59:27 PM »

Masks are not required when filling up your car.

If they went into the station, they are breaking the law.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #354 on: August 30, 2020, 05:13:41 PM »

Inside the gas station down by Ryan Rd. It was really odd to experience after having not left Chicago for a few months where everyone has been excellent with masks.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #355 on: August 30, 2020, 05:28:50 PM »

Breaking a law? No they wouldn’t be. A governor’s order is not law. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #356 on: August 30, 2020, 05:56:05 PM »
Inside the gas station down by Ryan Rd. It was really odd to experience after having not left Chicago for a few months where everyone has been excellent with masks.

The decline of Wisconsin has been swift and embarrassing
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #357 on: August 30, 2020, 06:29:29 PM »

I can't believe how many times WI has made international news in the past year. It's turned into Florida North.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #358 on: August 30, 2020, 08:59:31 PM »

Sad to hear, Skat. But living here, I am not surprised.

On Friday, my next store neighbor (who I have been friends with for years) came over and walked right up to me, arm extended to shake hands. Big grin on his face. I just told him to get off my property. I am through with these people.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #359 on: August 30, 2020, 09:01:06 PM »

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #360 on: August 30, 2020, 10:17:39 PM »

"I encourage other Republican presidential candidates to consider doing the same so that the voters can focus on a limited number of candidates who can offer a positive, conservative alternative to the current front-runner," said Walker, referencing businessman Donald Trump. "This is fundamentally important to the future of our party, and, more important, the future of the country."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #361 on: August 30, 2020, 10:19:17 PM »
Sad to hear, Skat. But living here, I am not surprised.

On Friday, my next store neighbor (who I have been friends with for years) came over and walked right up to me, arm extended to shake hands. Big grin on his face. I just told him to get off my property. I am through with these people.

So you told someone, who you supposedly have been friends with for years, to “get off your property” like you would an annoying door to door salesman, instead of politely asking if he’d wear a mask or mentioning you’re not comfortable with him being mask-less?  :o

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #362 on: August 30, 2020, 11:02:16 PM »
So you told someone, who you supposedly have been friends with for years, to “get off your property” like you would an annoying door to door salesman, instead of politely asking if he’d wear a mask or mentioning you’re not comfortable with him being mask-less?  :o

Seems like a perfect jockitch response.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #363 on: August 31, 2020, 08:33:38 AM »

No mask
Within 6 feet
Attempting physical contact
During a pandemic

That's no accident.

Would you really be polite to someone intentionally putting your health and the health of your family at risk? Really odd sentiment. Most people have a greater sense of self preservation. Or are you just uncomfortable with conflict?

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #364 on: August 31, 2020, 08:49:43 AM »

and its his neighbor, makes a lot more sense to ask nicely.  Always good to make enemies with your neighbors

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #365 on: August 31, 2020, 09:03:56 AM »

No mask
Within 6 feet
Attempting physical contact
During a pandemic

That's no accident.

Would you really be polite to someone intentionally putting your health and the health of your family at risk? Really odd sentiment. Most people have a greater sense of self preservation. Or are you just uncomfortable with conflict?

Yeah - that sounds like a neighbor who is either oblivious to the situation, or intentionally trying to create a confrontation in a passive-aggressive way (the smile, the attempted handshake). I have been friends with my neighbors for years - the people to my east have been there for the entire 22 years I have lived here - and they are respectful enough to know not to get right up in my grill and attempt physical contact in the middle of the pandemic.

A polite request seems like the better approach, but I don't know enough about the situation to judge the appropriateness of the response.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 09:06:46 AM by GooooMarquette »

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #366 on: August 31, 2020, 09:27:55 AM »
Who goes out of their way to walk up and shake a long-standing neighbors hand? I have been friends with my neighbors for decades, and we routinely walk over to say hi , or yell across the street, and since March if we walk over we wear masks and/or keep distanced, but shaking hands would seem weird. Totally intentional.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #367 on: August 31, 2020, 09:34:44 AM »
Few folks like confrontation, and this is not an easy topic.

My wife and I went to a brewery Saturday and sat outside with our dog. At one point, an older gentleman who we think was either the owner or manager came over, brought our dog a bowl of water and petted her.

He couldn't have been nicer ... but he also wasn't wearing a mask. And neither were we, as we were enjoying malt beverages and sitting at our table, which was at least 20 feet away from the nearest table.

So you have just a few seconds to think, "This guy is being so nice. Do I turn a nice thing into a potential confrontation by asking him to put on a mask? Maybe he's just about ready to leave, and even if I ask as politely as possible, he might take it personally and create a scene ... which will then pull me in and get me to turn ornery?"

I could tell that my wife, who REALLY hates it when insensitive mouth-breathers refuse to wear masks and invade her space, was starting to get upset. Thankfully, the guy left a few seconds later, and conflict was avoided.

My wife later told me she was just about ready to ask the guy to PLEASE wear a mask. And then some would have painted her as the mean one.

FWIW, an NC mandate requires all restaurant/bar/store employees to wear masks when at work, whether inside or outside.

Just wear an effen mask. It isn't too much to ask.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #368 on: August 31, 2020, 10:46:31 AM »

Yes. He’s a far right republican who makes fun of wearing masks. Much as I disagree, I recognize that is his right. But he knows exactly where I stand as we have talked about it.

To blatantly show that much disrespect may also be his right, but it is not something I’ll be a part of.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #369 on: August 31, 2020, 10:53:40 AM »
Yes. He’s a far right republican who makes fun of wearing masks. Much as I disagree, I recognize that is his right. But he knows exactly where I stand as we have talked about it.

To blatantly show that much disrespect may also be his right, but it is not something I’ll be a part of.

Well thats a very different piece of the story. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #370 on: August 31, 2020, 11:51:29 AM »
Few folks like confrontation, and this is not an easy topic.

My wife and I went to a brewery Saturday and sat outside with our dog. At one point, an older gentleman who we think was either the owner or manager came over, brought our dog a bowl of water and petted her.

He couldn't have been nicer ... but he also wasn't wearing a mask. And neither were we, as we were enjoying malt beverages and sitting at our table, which was at least 20 feet away from the nearest table.

So you have just a few seconds to think, "This guy is being so nice. Do I turn a nice thing into a potential confrontation by asking him to put on a mask? Maybe he's just about ready to leave, and even if I ask as politely as possible, he might take it personally and create a scene ... which will then pull me in and get me to turn ornery?"

I could tell that my wife, who REALLY hates it when insensitive mouth-breathers refuse to wear masks and invade her space, was starting to get upset. Thankfully, the guy left a few seconds later, and conflict was avoided.

My wife later told me she was just about ready to ask the guy to PLEASE wear a mask. And then some would have painted her as the mean one.

FWIW, an NC mandate requires all restaurant/bar/store employees to wear masks when at work, whether inside or outside.

Just wear an effen mask. It isn't too much to ask.

I also worry that if you ask someone to put on a mask, they linger to have a passioned discussion about why they don’t need a mask. Usually I just try to keep my distance as best as possible and hurry the conversation.

It’s certainly a delicate balance of my normal tendency of being non-confrontational but also standing up for my health.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #371 on: August 31, 2020, 01:30:24 PM »
The transmission risk for "normal interactions" is at the highest under the following conditions:
-Indoors
-Talking face to face for 15+ minutes
-One person is symptomatic
-Minimal handwashing is taking place.
-No masks

If any of those things switches to the safer side of things (ie the interaction is outdoor vs indoor) the transmission risk goes down. I tend to temper my reaction based on the risk side. So if I'm having a very brief conversation with someone not in a mask that is outdoors, I'm leaving well enough alone (because mentioning it is more than likely to create a longer conversation and by extension longer risk).

Side note, it may not be a scientifically provable outcome, but anecdotally masks work. My wife and her co-worker (both Physical Therapists) have had face to face, indoor, 50 minute interactions with patients who were both mildly symptomatic at the time of interaction (co-worker's spouse died of Covid two weeks later) but hadn't yet been tested or examined at the time of the appointments. These patients tested positive within 4 days of the latest visit......both my wife and co-worker tested negative when they went in on their own to get tested just to have piece of mind.

Why, because everyone in the encounter was wearing masks.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #372 on: August 31, 2020, 01:35:27 PM »
Side note, it may not be a scientifically provable outcome, but anecdotally masks work. My wife and her co-worker (both Physical Therapists) have had face to face, indoor, 50 minute interactions with patients who were both mildly symptomatic at the time of interaction (co-worker's spouse died of Covid two weeks later) but hadn't yet been tested or examined at the time of the appointments. These patients tested positive within 4 days of the latest visit......both my wife and co-worker tested negative when they went in on their own to get tested just to have piece of mind.

I think about the Great Clips example too...

I think all the 'mask stuff' is just so dumb at this point.  I would paint my face florescent green every morning if it meant being able to have some semblance of a normal environment/choice of activities.  To each there own I guess.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #373 on: August 31, 2020, 01:39:56 PM »
The transmission risk for "normal interactions" is at the highest under the following conditions:
-Indoors
-Talking face to face for 15+ minutes
-One person is symptomatic
-Minimal handwashing is taking place.
-No masks

If any of those things switches to the safer side of things (ie the interaction is outdoor vs indoor) the transmission risk goes down. I tend to temper my reaction based on the risk side. So if I'm having a very brief conversation with someone not in a mask that is outdoors, I'm leaving well enough alone (because mentioning it is more than likely to create a longer conversation and by extension longer risk).

Why, because everyone in the encounter was wearing masks.

All very logical and rooted in science, so naturally I agree.

As much as anything, a person wearing a mask when he or she approaches another person simply signals, "I care about you and your health." In addition to being good health practice, it's good manners - akin to not coughing or sneezing into somebody's face.

There probably aren't 2 Americans who think it's patriotic or "freedom" to sneeze into another person's face. That millions of people think it's somehow patriotic to not wear a mask when encountering a fellow American during a deadly pandemic ... it's more than a little infuriating.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #374 on: August 31, 2020, 01:46:01 PM »
Well thats a very different piece of the story.

To add one more piece - he did this the day after Evers mandated masks.

I have never in my life had any problem with anyone's politics - until now. As I'm sure you know when working in corporate America, you run into more republicans than Dems. So I would guess that I had more R friends than D friends. For many, I had no idea what their politics were.

But that has changed, somewhat. I try not to associate with trumpers. At all. I wouldn't even call them Rs as they no longer espouse what they have have always said they believed it. It is just a cult of personality now, no longer a "political party".