[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Lacrosse  (Read 8240 times)

vogue65

• All American
Lacrosse
« on: June 05, 2020, 01:05:53 PM »
Why does Marquette have lacrosse teams?
It is an uncivilized, upper middle class, mostly white, low skill sport. (thanks for sharing)
It is for kids with only two attributes. 
Lot's of pent up aggression and endurance.
Does Marquette field lacrosse teams because upper class Universities play lacrosse?
Is it the Big East trying to attract white upper middle class surban high school kids?
Is it for the image of the league?  Why, why?
Why not NCAA crew, equestrian or fencing?   Why not go all the way?

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Lacrosse
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 01:22:56 PM »
Because it’s one of the fastest growing sports in the country.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 01:23:24 PM »
Because it’s one of the fastest growing sports in the country.

I hear it's just a fad.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 01:40:01 PM »
MUScoop: A million monkeys on a million typewriters.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 01:40:47 PM »
Why does Marquette have lacrosse teams?
It is an uncivilized, upper middle class, mostly white, low skill sport. (thanks for sharing)
It is for kids with only two attributes. 
Lot's of pent up aggression and endurance.
Does Marquette field lacrosse teams because upper class Universities play lacrosse?
Is it the Big East trying to attract white upper middle class surban high school kids?
Is it for the image of the league?  Why, why?
Why not NCAA crew, equestrian or fencing?   Why not go all the way?

Lacrosse is also on TV.  No one gives any cares to Fencing, Equestrian or crew. 

Equestrian?  Really?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 01:41:15 PM »
Technically this is a racist opinion against native Americans. Calling their cultural sport uncivilized mimics the racist thought of calling native Americans uncivilized during colonial times.

Beyond that have you played lacrosse? I played for over decade and was all conference in HS. It is not a low skill sport. It's a heck of a lot harder technical wise than any sport that involves your hands on the actual ball.

Beyond that MU is predominantly white upper middle class kids from suburbs so they don't need lacrosse to recruit that segment. Whether lacrosse breeds a$$holes is another topic that id certainly support.

What sport is civilized since were on the topic?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 01:54:41 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 01:52:40 PM »
Technically this is a racist opinion against native Americans. Calling their cultural sport uncivilized mimics the racist thought of calling native Americans uncivilized during colonial times.

Beyond that have you played lacrosse? I played for over decade and was all conference in HS. It is not a low skill sport. It's a heck of a lot harder technical wise than any sport that involves your hands on the actual ball.

Beyond that MU is predominantly white upper middle class kids from suburbs so they don't need lacrosse to recruit that segment. Whether lacrosse breeds a$$holes is another topic that is certainly support.

Apparently we need a chess team
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 02:01:06 PM »
Apparently we need a chess team

And Sarcastaball.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 02:12:40 PM »
Lacrosse teams are in vogue.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 02:36:48 PM »
Lacrosse is also on TV.  No one gives any cares to Fencing, Equestrian or crew. 

Equestrian?  Really?

https://www.ihsainc.com/home
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 02:38:01 PM »
And Sarcastaball.

... sponsored by MUScoop.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 03:13:07 PM »

Beyond that MU is predominantly white upper middle class kids from suburbs so they don't need lacrosse to recruit that segment. Whether lacrosse breeds a$$holes is another topic that id certainly support.

So true.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 03:21:44 PM »
So true.

Takes one to know one brother
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 07:09:04 PM »
Takes one to know one brother

Never played lacrosse.

And those were your words, not mine.  Surprised a smart guy like yourself didn't realize that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 08:01:40 PM »
Never played lacrosse.

And those were your words, not mine.  Surprised a smart guy like yourself didn't realize that.

Smart I don't believe I've ever claimed as such. Took five years to graduate MU after all. Don't get defensive when you call someone an A$$ unprovoked and get called one back.
Maigh Eo for Sam

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 10:34:24 PM »
The recruits are racist.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2020, 07:24:04 AM »
Good morning,
Some interesting ideas have been presented on this topic.

Yes, there are Universities where the students bring their horses to campus.  One half doesn't know how the other half lives.

I got involved with the son of a former co-worker who played football at an elite school.  I had no idea there were universities where the kids brought their horses to school. 

I'm with the 5 year MU graduates, me too.  Proves MU is not a diploma mill.  They grade on a curve and stick to requirements and standards.  In my mind it is what puts Marquette in the category of real universities. 

The argument that hockey and lacrosse are native american is true while irrevelant.  Personally I'm opposed to violent sports.  Boxing, football, hockey, kick boxing, and lacrosse all fit into the category.  It is not an anti native american bias, just my world view.  Archery is another left over sport, just not my cup of tea.

Tennis (I  don't play it), squash, golf, water sports, various racing, soccer, basketball, baseball, are examples of less violent sports.  Although high level soccer can be very violent.

My question is why Marquette plays NCAA lacrosse.  Is it a requirement of the Big East, an effort to move on up, a deep seated need to fit in?

I'm no longer supporting sending teams of upper middle class kids all over the country to play sports. 

I was in Denver one night awaiting a late flight to New York.  There was a large high school age hockey team flying Frontier to Idaho to play hockey.   Does that mean they can't find a competitive game in the Denver area?

My neighbors bring their sons at midnight or later to a local rink for "ice time".  Why?  To differentiate them from the rest of the country?  To associate with other upper middle class kids?
I understand it is what it is, it is our culture.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2020, 08:09:17 AM »
It's a relatively inexpensive sport to sponsor (in terms of equipment and facilities) and it attracts students from the East Coast.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2020, 09:23:28 AM »
if contact sports aren't your cup of tea that's fine for you. but some of us have contact sports to thank For how we turned out Or like being tested to our physical limits. Specifically boxing gave me some perspective, pride and drive when I literally had nothing else in the world. Because you don't like them doesn't make them "uncivilized." And you haven't used any other reason beyond just calling them that for why they shouldn't exist.

Hockey is not a Native American sport it's a Nordic sport bastardized from the Irish game of hurling and Scottish game of shinty. I brought Lacrosse being a native sport up because you used the loaded word uncivilized. Which is a loaded term when it comes to anything Native American or African. Especially a white guy in a European country saying it, bad optics that are no different from colonial time.

Athletic talent is not unique to lower income families. What is the goal? To have an income requirement for college sports? Income requirement for college Athletic scholarships? Rich white kids can and do play basketball too, example the Hausers used to post photos on Instagram of their house, they were hardly hurting for money. Soccer and tennis are definitely rich kid sports too. So I think you are arguing not against rich white kid sports but against Lacrosse in particular which is a weird one to single out.

If you want to discuss uncivilized games why don't you start with Florentine Football in your own country. That is considerably more Brutish than anything else out there
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 09:39:12 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2020, 10:06:34 AM »
It's a relatively inexpensive sport to sponsor (in terms of equipment and facilities) and it attracts students from the East Coast.

My point exactly, East Coast snobs.  Sorry, emotionally charged word.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2020, 10:10:05 AM »
My point exactly, East Coast snobs.  Sorry, emotionally charged word.

Ironically you live in New Jersey.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2020, 10:13:45 AM »
if contact sports aren't your cup of tea that's fine for you. but some of us have contact sports to thank For how we turned out Or like being tested to our physical limits. Specifically boxing gave me some perspective, pride and drive when I literally had nothing else in the world. Because you don't like them doesn't make them "uncivilized." And you haven't used any other reason beyond just calling them that for why they shouldn't exist.

Hockey is not a Native American sport it's a Nordic sport bastardized from the Irish game of hurling and Scottish game of shinty. I brought Lacrosse being a native sport up because you used the loaded word uncivilized. Which is a loaded term when it comes to anything Native American or African. Especially a white guy in a European country saying it, bad optics that are no different from colonial time.

Athletic talent is not unique to lower income families. What is the goal? To have an income requirement for college sports? Income requirement for college Athletic scholarships? Rich white kids can and do play basketball too, example the Hausers used to post photos on Instagram of their house, they were hardly hurting for money. Soccer and tennis are definitely rich kid sports too. So I think you are arguing not against rich white kid sports but against Lacrosse in particular which is a weird one to single out.

If you want to discuss uncivilized games why don't you start with Florentine Football in your own country. That is considerably more Brutish than anything else out there

I live in New Jetsey, I carry an Irish Passport, I have an apartment in Bergamo, Italy, my wife is an Italian and American citizen.

I consider blood sports uncivilized. 

Thanks for the history lesson about uncivilized sports.

I subscribe to the Irish Eco and they always have great action photos of young Irish guys beating the hell out of each other.  The new Irish blood sport is fighting with deminstrators, great fun.
NYPD enjoy the legalized thug behavior.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2020, 10:14:43 AM »
I live in New Jetsey, I carry an Irish Passport, I have an apartment in Bergamo, Italy, my wife is an Italian and American citizen.

I consider blood sports uncivilized. 

Thanks for the history lesson about uncivilized sports.

I subscribe to the Irish Eco and they always have great action photos of young Irish guys beating the hell out of each other.  The new Irish blood sport is fighting with deminstrators, great fun.
NYPD enjoy the legalized thug behavior.

I hope you enjoy your bowling and figure skating.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2020, 10:23:05 AM »
Ironically you live in New Jersey.

Hay Fluff, it takes one to know one.  I even live a few miles from Trump in Bedminster, N.J..
However, I'm from Long Island City, Queens by way of Virginia, Milwaukee and White Plains, N.Y..  I'd say, sort of well rounded.

BTW, Newark and Camden are beautiful, peaceful examples of systemic change toward more civilized communities.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2020, 10:27:09 AM »
Hay Fluff, it takes one to know one.  I even live a few miles from Trump in Bedminster, N.J..
However, I'm from Long Island City, Queens by way of Virginia, Milwaukee and White Plains, N.Y..  I'd say, sort of well rounded.

BTW, Newark and Camden are beautiful, peaceful examples of systemic change toward more civilized communities.

Well rounded in what way? Seems like just about all East Coast.