collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marv Albert retiring  (Read 5886 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Marv Albert retiring
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2021, 09:10:42 AM »
I obviously don’t approve of what Albert did, but many many times in this forum I have said I am a strong believer in second chances.

Albert was punished. Some might not like how he was punished, but he was. Beyond that, I have no idea if he made amends or how.

What I do know is that Marv Albert is the best sports announcer in history. And yes, I admit I’m a little nostalgic when it comes to remembering him as the voice of my teams 25 years before he was caught doing something bad.

What a statement! I’d argue he wasn’t even the best in the history of the NBA, but different strokes for different folks

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2021, 09:20:25 AM »
Best ever? Gotta be Ueck. Any time you get a multi-innings-long story about stealing a tuba from the national anthem band you're really working on another level.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2021, 09:35:01 AM »
No Bob Costas love?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2021, 09:37:15 AM »
No Bob Costas love?

Ugh...no.

I think he was a decent studio host at one point, but I've never really liked him as a play by play guy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2021, 10:02:26 AM »
Ugh...no.

I think he was a decent studio host at one point, but I've never really liked him as a play by play guy.

Agreed.  I think hes very good in studio and as an interviewer, especially for stuff like the Olympics or horse racing, but PBP he's just alright.  He had an ok stretch for baseball, but otherwise he's too dry.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2021, 10:30:29 AM »
Agreed.  I think hes very good in studio and as an interviewer, especially for stuff like the Olympics or horse racing, but PBP he's just alright.  He had an ok stretch for baseball, but otherwise he's too dry.

Agreed. Cotas is a fantastic interviewer...not so much on the pxp
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2021, 10:34:57 AM »
I like Costas a lot. I think he has done a nice job with the Olympics. But I agree with other comments here. He's way better in studio/interviews.

Uecker, Vin Scully, Jack (not Joe) Buck, Cosell, Al Michaels are all in the hunt for best sportscasters of all time.

Albert may be one of the best NBA guys, but he isn't even in the conversation for best of any sport.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:37:00 AM by Coleman »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2021, 10:52:29 AM »
I’ll assume that Dickey Simpkins hasn’t been mentioned due to everyone having him as the obvious number 1. Hashtag Legend!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2021, 11:03:47 AM »
I’ll assume that Dickey Simpkins hasn’t been mentioned due to everyone having him as the obvious number 1. Hashtag Legend!

Simpkins is in a dead heat with Len Elmore for most worthless drivel from a Big East color commentator.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2021, 11:30:38 AM »
I would cast my vote for ABC’s Keith Jackson as all time best announcer . Was outstanding for a long period time in many sports .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2021, 02:39:17 PM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2021, 04:29:40 PM »
Marv was a very good play by play man. Nowhere near the best ever, though (IMO). Maybe not the biggest perv broadcaster either, but his story (the biting, the women’s undergarments, the loss of his wig, etc.) is certainly among the most bizarre.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2021, 07:28:30 PM »
Marv was a very good play by play man. Nowhere near the best ever, though (IMO). Maybe not the biggest perv broadcaster either, but his story (the biting, the women’s undergarments, the loss of his wig, etc.) is certainly among the most bizarre.

Agree about the bizarre; I remember when all of it was going on, all I could do was laugh my arse off. When fictional announcer Brockmire was on TV and was involved in the crazy stuff that made me say, "C'mon, that could never happen," I then remembered that it kind of did happen to/with Marv.

Obviously we disagree about his announcing. He was gifted, and really was peerless (IMO).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2021, 07:53:48 PM »
As I get older, I care far less about announcers.  My expectations are pretty low, however
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2021, 08:29:06 PM »
Simpkins is in a dead heat with Len Elmore for most worthless drivel from a Big East color commentator.
Pete Gillen is way worse than either of those guys.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2021, 09:30:55 PM »
As I get older, I care far less about announcers.  My expectations are pretty low, however

I’m kinda with you when it comes to good announcers. I almost don’t notice most of them.

But a bad commentator can really make it hard to watch a game with the volume on. I’ve muted Dickey Simpkins often.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2021, 09:23:26 AM »
Gotta throw Gus Johnson in the ring

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2021, 09:24:37 AM »

Same, with exceptions on either extreme I just don't even notice announcers that much anymore. You've gotta be really bad or really good to get on my radar.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2021, 10:37:24 AM »
Same, with exceptions on either extreme I just don't even notice announcers that much anymore. You've gotta be really bad or really good to get on my radar.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2021, 05:25:24 PM »
I'd normally be pissed about losing BA but I can't watch any games on Bally's Sports so F em.

Couldn't deal with a full summer of Matt Lepay, if I do get to watch the games again.

Lepay is the most generic, cookie-cutter guy around.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2021, 05:27:26 PM »
Marv has been slipping from his own extremely high standards for a couple years now, not as sharp as he had been for some 5 decades, and I hated seeing that. Glad he decided to call it quits with his legacy firmly intact.

The situation with Bob Uecker in Milwaukee is the same thing.  Been slipping for years now, but still better than most.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2021, 05:56:40 PM »
I find Lepay to be profoundly unremarkable. He’s fine. My aunt *loves* him to the point of *hating* Wayne Larivee simply because he got the Packers radio job instead of Lepay and I don’t get it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2021, 08:01:12 PM »
Lepay is the most generic, cookie-cutter guy around.

This is why I find announcer opinions worthless for the most part and this isn’t a shot at you but more of a general point.  When Lepay started doing Brewers games, I hated it because he’s the voice of evil for most of the year.  Then the longer he called games for the Crew, the less I thought about it or cared or noticed.  He’s fine.  Maybe he’s bad.  Maybe he’s very good.  It doesn’t matter but to his employer
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.