[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: ‘I Can’t Breathe’: 4 Minneapolis Officers Fired After Black Man Dies in Custody  (Read 33719 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Just saw something on the twatter that George Lloyd was from Houston and in MPLS for work.  If true, that makes his death even worse, as he wouldnt be a "known dude" to the local cops who might have had issues with him in the past (not justifying that this would be ok if it was a local guy),  but rather some guy there doing his job.

Again, not sure if this is true.

jesmu84

• All American
I'm not telling you how to live your life, but can you just post what the tweet says and save us all a click?

Apologies. Hard to do on mobile.

Basically comparing/contrasting police response to the George Lloyd protests vs the re-open protests.

Rubber bullets/tear gas/riot gear vs nothing.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Just saw something on the twatter that George Lloyd was from Houston and in MPLS for work.  If true, that makes his death even worse, as he wouldnt be a "known dude" to the local cops who might have had issues with him in the past (not justifying that this would be ok if it was a local guy),  but rather some guy there doing his job.

He moved up there for work 4 or 5 years ago.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

RideMyBuycks

• All American
Rumor is downtown, north loop and NE will be the hot spots tonight. Anyone hearing the same?

4everwarriors

• All American

Grew up wit ex-NBA baller, Stephen Jackson, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Warrior2008

• Starter
What happened to George Floyd was abhorrent and unacceptable.  I hope justice is harsh and swift.

But rioting, looting, and burning down businesses and homes will not bring any measure of justice to the situation.  It just punishes the owners and employees of those businesses who had nothing to do with George Floyd and who are dealing with an already difficult business climate thanks to Covid.  By all means protest, demand change and seek justice, but violence and destruction against innocent people solves nothing and just creates most despair.

dgies9156

• All American
What happened to George Floyd was abhorrent and unacceptable.  I hope justice is harsh and swift.

But rioting, looting, and burning down businesses and homes will not bring any measure of justice to the situation.  It just punishes the owners and employees of those businesses who had nothing to do with George Floyd and who are dealing with an already difficult business climate thanks to Covid.  By all means protest, demand change and seek justice, but violence and destruction against innocent people solves nothing and just creates most despair.

Not only that, if the 1968 riots in Chicago in the aftermath of the murder of Dr. King were any indication, once the rioting, looting and arson are over, the businesses say goodbye to the damaged neighborhoods. The folks that do the criminal acts are the folks that are most damaging their community.

In Chicago's case, the one thriving merchant community serving the African-American community on the west side still has not recovered, some 52 years later.

Nobody accepts what the police officer did. But gratuitous violence and lashing out is no answer either.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Not only that, if the 1968 riots in Chicago in the aftermath of the murder of Dr. King were any indication, once the rioting, looting and arson are over, the businesses say goodbye to the damaged neighborhoods. The folks that do the criminal acts are the folks that are most damaging their community.

In Chicago's case, the one thriving merchant community serving the African-American community on the west side still has not recovered, some 52 years later.

Nobody accepts what the police officer did. But gratuitous violence and lashing out is no answer either.

White flight and redlining didn't exactly help The neighborhoods either. Let's not act like they burned down a neighborhood that was essentially pleasentville.

That being said you're right the reaction to protest is good but rioting, looting, clashing with cops is only going to worsen the situation. Unfortunately there's a lot of hot headed individuals in the moment and not a lot of forethought.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Rumor is downtown, north loop and NE will be the hot spots tonight. Anyone hearing the same?

I have definitely heard downtown. Not sure about the other areas.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Got to love Teh Onion take.

https://www.theonion.com/protestors-criticized-for-looting-businesses-without-fo-1843735351?utm_source=TheOnion_Daily_RSS&utm_medium=email

Protestors Criticized For Looting Businesses Without Forming Private Equity Firm First

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!

He moved up there for work 4 or 5 years ago.

don't trust the twatter.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Rioting, looting, setting things on fire.   Preposterously stupid.  You're hurting all the wrong people, and frankly, setting your cause back.

Especially torching police cars .. those cars are expensive and the cops didn't magic them up from somewhere.  They used YOUR money to buy them, and will use more of YOUR money to replace the ones you set on fire.  Well done.

shoothoops

• All American
One thing for people to keep in mind, is that some of the people looting, rioting, etc...in these situations are not from the local area. There are people that travel long distances to take advantage of these situations.

Hards Alumni

• All American
One thing for people to keep in mind, is that some of the people looting, rioting, etc...in these situations are not from the local area. There are people that travel long distances to take advantage of these situations.

source?

4everwarriors

• All American
Rioting, looting, setting things on fire.   Preposterously stupid.  You're hurting all the wrong people, and frankly, setting your cause back.

Especially torching police cars .. those cars are expensive and the cops didn't magic them up from somewhere.  They used YOUR money to buy them, and will use more of YOUR money to replace the ones you set on fire.  Well done.

Herd Da Bay iz wear itz goin' down, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior69

• All American

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
source?

I heard that today on MPR news, with the statement attributed to “local officials.”

I don’t know how reliable the “local officials” are, but MPR usually reports what it hears accurately.

Stronghold

• All American
50+ buildings damaged
16 buildings burned
1 person killed
Rocks/bricks being thrown onto interstate highways from overpasses

Metro Transit has stopped all services and a lot of businesses have boarded up their windows in anticipation of a repeat tonight.

shoothoops

• All American
source?

That’s the way it has been in other past higher profile situations. It’s a mix of things, people, geographies. Here’s a random example of Ferguson where half of the people arrested on a given day were not from either the Metro area or the state.  It’s a bad apple thing more than a geographic thing. There will be locals, and people from elsewhere. There are bad apples everywhere and sometimes they travel. And it certainly takes away from the many more peaceful protestors in these situations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/more-than-50-arrested-at-ferguson-police-station-on-moral-monday-other-events-elsewhere/article_c1752132-9731-542e-8525-1885fae7fd10.amp.html

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 06:24:15 PM by shoothoops »

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
The blacks who were products of CHA’s remarkably racist Henry Hoerner Homes and Rockwell Gardens burned down businesses owned by white’s following Dr. King’s murder.

DegenerateDish

• All American
For whatever reason, auto stores are really taking a pounding in the looting. I’m not trying to be funny, just weird to me.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
At least 2 of the cops were known to be bad cops, including the shooter who casually had his hand in his pocket while murdering a man in cold blood. They had no business being on the force.

“Good” cops who look the other way and fail to speak out are bad cops. Sadly, very few guys are willing to speak up. Their fear of reprisal is stronger than their sense of decency.

Lennys Tap

• All American

Worst of all, the tapes I’ve seen indicate a serious lack of social distancing by the protesters. Some Scoopers call that terrorism.

wadesworld

• All American
As a white male who has never gone through what minorities go through every day, I won’t talk bad about people for reacting angrily or violently. How many times do they have to watch someone who looks like them get murdered without proper justice being served? How long until they or one of their loved ones are the ones being choked or shot while unarmed? If it’s a one time thing, sure, it’s an overreaction. But it happens over and over. I’m sure the frustration and anger builds up. It’s easy for me as a white male to sit behind a computer screen and say how they’re reacting isn’t helping. But the reality is nothing has helped and, sadly, nothing will help. So maybe if I were in there shoes I’d need to take out some frustration, too.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
Worst of all, the tapes I’ve seen indicate a serious lack of social distancing by the protesters. Some Scoopers call that terrorism.

Who hurt you, Lenny?