[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bailey declares for draft  (Read 80597 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Bailey declares for draft
« Reply #400 on: May 24, 2020, 05:39:45 PM »
How near? When do you expect Wojo to be gone from Marquette’s head coaching position?

The end isn't at all near. Wojo will be here at least two more years unless someone else hires him away. I don't see any way he isn't here through the 2021-22 season barring a major (think fired for cause) level scandal.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #401 on: May 24, 2020, 06:36:39 PM »
The end isn't at all near. Wojo will be here at least two more years unless someone else hires him away. I don't see any way he isn't here through the 2021-22 season barring a major (think fired for cause) level scandal.

Awesome, I love seeing this product on the floor.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #402 on: May 24, 2020, 06:45:24 PM »
Awesome, I love seeing this product on the floor.

Had me fooled!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #403 on: May 24, 2020, 07:04:58 PM »
I am not going to argue which team is better,. I will argue that the 2018/2019 team  did not deserve to be a five seed. Seeding is screwed up, because the tournament committee gives as much credit for a November win as a February/March win.

It is possible that the big reason we would of gotten into the tournament this year was that we beat USC in a November game that was destroyed by refs calling 60+ fouls. We did not have the frontline talent that USC had, but the refs eliminated that advantage. On paper we should not of won that game and I do not believe we would of beaten USC again, if we played them in March.

Wrong
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #404 on: May 24, 2020, 08:19:00 PM »
I am not going to argue which team is better,. I will argue that the 2018/2019 team  did not deserve to be a five seed. Seeding is screwed up, because the tournament committee gives as much credit for a November win as a February/March win.

It is possible that the big reason we would of gotten into the tournament this year was that we beat USC in a November game that was destroyed by refs calling 60+ fouls. We did not have the frontline talent that USC had, but the refs eliminated that advantage. On paper we should not of won that game and I do not believe we would of beaten USC again, if we played them in March.

We couldn't beat Depaul in March.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #405 on: May 24, 2020, 08:36:34 PM »
How near? When do you expect Wojo to be gone from Marquette’s head coaching position?
He has 2 more years. Next year will be about .500. After that the remaining contract will be an easy payoff for MU.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #406 on: May 24, 2020, 08:54:18 PM »
He has 2 more years. Next year will be about .500. After that the remaining contract will be an easy payoff for MU.

Would it be an easy payoff? There’s a lot of tough decisions ahead on 12th Street.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #407 on: May 25, 2020, 01:41:36 AM »
Based on the hype around him his freshman year and the inconsistency once he stepped into starting minutes, I can't disagree. There was upside there, but it never felt realized.

You think recruiting miss or failure to develop him?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #408 on: May 25, 2020, 07:07:11 AM »

Hard to define it as either. I think the ability was there and I think Bailey was on course to be a quality player as an upperclassmen. I think the two lost years hurt his development more than anything I'd pin on the staff and I think the flashes of skill he showed indicate he wasn't a complete miss. I do think they let a bit too much leak about how big an impact player he would be and he didn't deliver on that in his time here.

I think if there's a failing, it's simply not keeping him around long enough to maximize his potential. It kind of feels like a Jimmy Butler leaving after his sophomore year situation. He looked lost at times, like sophomore year JFB, he showed big flashes at times, like sophomore year JFB, and generally he understood his role, like sophomore year JFB. I'm not at all saying Bailey has the long-term ceiling Butler has shown, but I do think he had a similar collegiate ceiling and the staff just couldn't keep him here to get there.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #409 on: May 25, 2020, 07:08:19 AM »

Me personally, I think it was failure to develop. To be fair however, I wonder how different things may have been with Brendan had he come to MU right away and not done his 2 year Mormon mission.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #410 on: May 25, 2020, 08:00:22 AM »
Didn't fully bounce back from two years off.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #411 on: May 25, 2020, 08:14:31 AM »
Bailey was certainly developing.  He was much better sophomore year than his freshman year.  I think he could have ended up a really solid player had he stuck around.  A more versatle, better scoring version of Sacar. 

The two years off didn't help though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #412 on: May 25, 2020, 08:57:14 AM »
We couldn't beat Depaul in March.
There were quite a few years pre-Wojo where we couldn't beat DePaul twice. Even Buzz's best team inexplicably dropped games to wretched DePaul teams.

I'm not trying to compare any particular teams or any particular coaches, just saying that the inability to sweep DePaul hasn't exactly been a marker on how good or bad a team was.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #413 on: May 25, 2020, 08:59:30 AM »
There were quite a few years pre-Wojo where we couldn't beat DePaul twice. Even Buzz's best team inexplicably dropped games to wretched DePaul teams.

I'm not trying to compare any particular teams or any particular coaches, just saying that the inability to sweep DePaul hasn't exactly been a marker on how good or bad a team was.

Absolutely inexcusable to lose to DePaul if you're MU. I don't care who the Coach is..it should never happen. Ever. Crean and Buzz lost to DePaul a combined 6 times in their tenures(that was 6 times to many), Wojo has lost to them 6 times in his 7 years(again, 6 times too many).

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #414 on: May 25, 2020, 09:00:09 AM »
Absolutely inexcusable to lose to DePaul if you're MU. I don't care who the Coach is..it should never happen. Ever. Crean and Buzz lost to DePaul a combined 6 times in their tenures(that was 6 times to many), Wojo has lost to them 6 times in his 7 years(again, 6 times too many).

DePaul was much better during the Crean era than today.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

muguru

• All American
« Reply #415 on: May 25, 2020, 09:07:53 AM »
DePaul was much better during the Crean era than today.

Doesn't matter...still should NEVER happen...I mean MU lost to them when they had Wade, Diener etc. DePaul to MU should be like Milwaukee is to MU. That being said you are correct, dePaul was better then than they are now, which makes Wojo's 6 losses to them even worse. Not a good look.

For anyone that's going to chime in with...well DePaul beat so and so this year or that year. I DON'T CARE. Let them beat those teams. It means nothing as far as how MU should do against them. Period.

Let's put it this way...MU's program/talent level SHOULD be so much further ahead then DePaul's dumpster fire of a program that MU should be able to bring their "D" game against DePaul's "A" game on a regular basis and they still shouldn't lose to them(other than maybe some fluky occurrence). The fact that MU's program(relative to my comparison) isn't at that level vis a vis Depaul, is a big problem to me.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 09:22:37 AM by muguru »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #416 on: May 25, 2020, 01:13:35 PM »
Doesn't matter...still should NEVER happen...I mean MU lost to them when they had Wade, Diener etc. DePaul to MU should be like Milwaukee is to MU. That being said you are correct, dePaul was better then than they are now, which makes Wojo's 6 losses to them even worse. Not a good look.

For anyone that's going to chime in with...well DePaul beat so and so this year or that year. I DON'T CARE. Let them beat those teams. It means nothing as far as how MU should do against them. Period.

Let's put it this way...MU's program/talent level SHOULD be so much further ahead then DePaul's dumpster fire of a program that MU should be able to bring their "D" game against DePaul's "A" game on a regular basis and they still shouldn't lose to them(other than maybe some fluky occurrence). The fact that MU's program(relative to my comparison) isn't at that level vis a vis Depaul, is a big problem to me.

Milwaukee is a low/mid major. DePaul is a Big East Team so no, they will never be like UWM is to us. They do get future NBA players (legitimately or not. They paid a lot for the Richardson/Simmons/Hunter group). And this past year, I’d put Moore and Reed ahead of anyone else on MU’s roster other than Howard. That’s because they’re a major, like it or not.

MU never lost to DePaul with Wade, the loss in 2004 was to the conference champ/NCAA second round DePaul team, the next year a20 win, 2nd round NIT DePaul team. Both had NBA players on them, something Milwaukee has never been able to boast.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

muguru

• All American
« Reply #417 on: May 25, 2020, 02:25:29 PM »
Milwaukee is a low/mid major. DePaul is a Big East Team so no, they will never be like UWM is to us. They do get future NBA players (legitimately or not. They paid a lot for the Richardson/Simmons/Hunter group). And this past year, I’d put Moore and Reed ahead of anyone else on MU’s roster other than Howard. That’s because they’re a major, like it or not.

MU never lost to DePaul with Wade, the loss in 2004 was to the conference champ/NCAA second round DePaul team, the next year a20 win, 2nd round NIT DePaul team. Both had NBA players on them, something Milwaukee has never been able to boast.

DePaul is a mid major program, playing in a Major conference. Period. I don't care what anyone says...MU's program should be at a level where losing to DePaul should ONLY be a fluky occurence. If you want to think/say otherwise, that's fine..I won't use that excuse.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #418 on: May 25, 2020, 02:33:10 PM »
DePaul is a mid major program, playing in a Major conference. Period. I don't care what anyone says...MU's program should be at a level where losing to DePaul should ONLY be a fluky occurence. If you want to think/say otherwise, that's fine..I won't use that excuse.

Chris Beard and Texas Tech lost to DePaul.  DePaul probably thought losing to Marquette in the 80’s and early 90’s was unacceptable.  Things can change quickly
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #419 on: May 25, 2020, 02:33:44 PM »
Bailey was certainly developing.  He was much better sophomore year than his freshman year.  I think he could have ended up a really solid player had he stuck around.  A more versatle, better scoring version of Sacar. 

The two years off didn't help though.

I agree with this.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #420 on: May 25, 2020, 02:45:41 PM »
Chris Beard and Texas Tech lost to DePaul.  DePaul probably thought losing to Marquette in the 80’s and early 90’s was unacceptable.  Things can change quickly

DePaul also knocked off Luka Garza (NPOY finalist and first team AA) and Iowa. The dude is beyond irrational here. DePaul had legit talent this past year.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

panda

• All American
« Reply #421 on: May 25, 2020, 02:54:34 PM »
DePaul also knocked off Luka Garza (NPOY finalist and first team AA) and Iowa. The dude is beyond irrational here. DePaul had legit talent this past year.

And went 3-15 in conference 😂😂😂

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #422 on: May 25, 2020, 03:22:31 PM »

If you don't care what anyone says then stop posting about it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #423 on: May 25, 2020, 03:47:12 PM »

One more time and then I'm done with it...Let me be as perfectly clear as I can..I DO NOT CARE who else DePaul beats. It's totally irrelevant. MU should be at a level as a program/talent that they do NOT lose to DePaul. That's it, that's the final word on it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #424 on: May 25, 2020, 03:52:00 PM »
One more time and then I'm done with it...Let me be as perfectly clear as I can..I DO NOT CARE who else DePaul beats. It's totally irrelevant. MU should be at a level as a program/talent that they do NOT lose to DePaul. That's it, that's the final word on it.

You’re wrong